or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 317

post #9481 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

is the RS40 better than the Epson 5020?
and how much should i expect to pay fpr a used one?
also is the warranty transferable?

The RS40 is a better 2D projector so it really matters what your main viewing content will be. I thought about selling my RS40 before the RS4810 came out and since my warranty is still good for another 4-5 months I looked to see if the warranty is transferable and according to JVC it is NOT transferable. I decided to keep my RS40 because of the low resell value which seems to be in the $1500-$2000 range, which is too cheap for this projector.

Mike
post #9482 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

The RS40 is a better 2D projector so it really matters what your main viewing content will be. I thought about selling my RS40 before the RS4810 came out and since my warranty is still good for another 4-5 months I looked to see if the warranty is transferable and according to JVC it is NOT transferable. I decided to keep my RS40 because of the low resell value which seems to be in the $1500-$2000 range, which is too cheap for this projector.
Mike

Totally agree...I think the bulb issues screwed all of us on resell value.
post #9483 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Totally agree...I think the bulb issues screwed all of us on resell value.

Dave,

It definitely did plus they lowered the MSRP on the RS45 by $1000 vs the RS40 so those 2 things killed the RS40's resell value thus taking away my option to upgrade to the RS4810 this year without losing too much. I still love my RS40 but it would've been nice to try eshift2 this year. Hopefully next year I can get a totally new model with higher native contrast, more lumens, and either eshift3 or true 4k but I'm not holding my breath. wink.gif

Mike
post #9484 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Totally agree...I think the bulb issues screwed all of us on resell value.

Yup. I know I would never touch one, even if they came down to $1000. Just too much bulb angst. There are better options out there, including from JVC!
post #9485 of 9972
Thus far the 3rd generation bulbs are holding up MUCH better than the first two I had. JVC did right by replacing them though.
post #9486 of 9972
I just bought a avs b stock rs40 coming from a Sony hw10... I am still blown away by the cinematic quality of the images. I don't care about resolution as much as great blacks so I will only upgrade when jvc contrast levels make another big leap forward to get us closer to CRT level depth....the rs40 is very very good though so all it takes is another leap forward I think we will be there.
post #9487 of 9972
I'm still amazed at how good a properly calibrated RS40 looks.
post #9488 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

is the RS40 better than the Epson 5020?
and how much should i expect to pay fpr a used one?
also is the warranty transferable?

Having had and been generally very satisfied with an RS40 for 2 years, I just got a 5020 yesterday to try out. As i mentioned earlier in this thread, the JVC stopped sending IR to the 3D glasses.
I really love the 40 for 2D, but I've always been a bit disappointed in the 3D, so took this as a sign from the fates that it was time to explore.

There's NO QUESTION that the 5020 is brighter and the 3D is much better, not just the brightness which is critical, but for ghosting which so far I find virtually nonexistent on the Epson.
I've done no calibration and watched little 2D content, but I'd say the 2D picture is still a bit more refined on the JVC, although I think with calibration the Epson will be no slouch.

So if you don't care about 3D and have a good light-controlled environment, the JVC's for you. If you love 3D, high lumens or have a light issue in your screening room, the Epson's the way to go.
So far this model looks like a great bang for the buck.

S A M 33
post #9489 of 9972
Measurements for my 003 lamp at 960 hours:

Normal: 89 LUX
High: 118 LUX

When the lamp was new on 4/18/12, at 0 hours the measurements were as follow:
Normal: 127 LUX
High: 198 LUX

Throw is around 14 feet projecting on a 128" diagonal screen with aperture at 0. Non calibrated.
post #9490 of 9972
Percentage wise, that's similar to what I've experienced (although you have about 400 more hours than I do).
post #9491 of 9972
I've begun looking into replacements, so far the JVC 4810 is the front runner. I know other brands have brighter 3D, but at least the new gen seems to have massively reduced the crosstalk, and 2D still represents better than 99% of what's watched. And like the guy above, all the reviews I've read all say some brands come close to the jvc black levels and overall refinement, but don't surpass them.
post #9492 of 9972
I've just sent my RS40 off to have the 3D emitting fixed since it's under warranty, but I have to tell you, if you area at all into 3D the new Epson 5020 just smokes the RS40 for both brightness and crosstalk. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping mine, and probably go the 2 projector route as I still like the 2D image better on the JVC, but the Epson is in fact pretty good - I have a long throw and a dark theater, so the Epson has pretty good blacks too, but the picture is not quite as "smooth" and refined as the D-ILA image. It just has a "richness" that the Epson can't quite match, even with a little calibration. I've done a pretty solid A/B now and can confirm that first hand. You never notice it in 3D however.

S A M 33
Edited by S A M 33 - 1/5/13 at 6:21am
post #9493 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie085 View Post

Ok guys, the freezing issues are back and worse then before. On top of that I have a flickering of brightness back and forth almost as if the bulb is dimming then going back bright and so on. Usually after it does this for a bit the unit freezes up completely? I'm not sure what my warranty status is but was curious if anyone here had similar issues?
Edit: Hmm I had tried to search and find people with this issue but couldn't, then I tried again and found several. So anyways sent an email off to JVC support we'll see what happens.

I've had my X3 projector for about 2 years before the exact same behaviour occurred.
Sent it to the service. Got it back after 3 weeks.
Worked fine for about 2 days, now it started to happen all over again.

The unit randomly just starts to go into some kind of 'freeze mode'. While in that mode you can continue watching whatever you're watching right now. But showing the menu or the Lens Control screen gets really slow.
When you change the HDMI signal while in that mode (e.g. stopping the movie so the signal changes from 1080p24 to 1080p60), the screen goes black and the only thing you can do is pull the plug.

Did you get any response from JVC?

Did your IR Receiver (for the remote) started to get less sensitive too, just about that time when the lock ups started to happen? I do now have to point the remote into the direction of the pj instead of just relying on the screen reflection. Plus after I got the pj back from service, the remote worked perfectly fine again (during projector setup). But that was just for a couple of minutes!

Michael
post #9494 of 9972
I asked this question in another thread, but got no response. My RS40 is at a short 12'3" throw for a 110' diagonal 2:35 screen. The idea is to stop down the lens, and as the bulb ages to open it up and keep the brightness/contrast level about the same. Is not changing the aperture of the lens roughly the same as changing the throw distance as far as the brightness/contrast ratio is concerned, or am I missing something?confused.gif

I can move the ceiling mount back to increase the throw now, easier than later, if I'm wrong.
post #9495 of 9972
I would move the projector back as far as possible, that will maximize potential contrast, then start with a closed iris and open it up little by little as the bulb ages. Your contrast will reduce as you open the iris, but that is really unavoidable. As to which affects your contrast more (i.e. throw vs. iris) I don't know, though I've seen somewhere (perhaps a German review?) where they gave contrast measurements for short throw closed iris, short throw open iris, long throw closed iris, long throw open iris. That would probably answer your question.
post #9496 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by e932 View Post

I do now have to point the remote into the direction of the pj instead of just relying on the screen reflection.

I have the same problem, it started after I sent the projector back for unrelated repairs in long beach (they wanted to inspect the unit before replacing the second burst bulb). Now they want me to pay another $70+ to ship it back, I'm frankly sort of tired dealing with these issues.

JVC screwed up on the bulb, we all know that, and in general they have tried to make up for that issue. But, I think they were trying to save face when the asked me to send the unit in for the second burst bulb (I also noticed that there was some sautering mentioned on the repair sheet when they sent it back). I'm kind of upset that it came back from Long Beach having this remote problem from day one, I assume they screwed something up when they opened it up (unnecessarily I might add). Also, I can no longer autocalibrate the projector using the serial port on the back, seems something they did screwed that up too, since it worked perfectly before.

In short, this projector kind of sucks to own, until you turn it on and watch a good movie. When this is calibrated (I use a lumagen) it looks simply stunning. I think we all just wish that the lamps and electronics were up to the task of day to day viewing. Hopefully I will get JVC to fix mine up, but it is still going to cost me at least $70 more, a small price to pay, but money is tight now and I already paid ~$3500 for the projector, I thought that would be enough for a nice mid level projector but apparently I was wrong.

Also, anyone else having trouble telephoning the repair center? I'm kind of playing phone tag with them (admittedly I called about 6 or 7 times, they called me once).
post #9497 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by e932 View Post

I've had my X3 projector for about 2 years before the exact same behaviour occurred.
Sent it to the service. Got it back after 3 weeks.
Worked fine for about 2 days, now it started to happen all over again.
The unit randomly just starts to go into some kind of 'freeze mode'. While in that mode you can continue watching whatever you're watching right now. But showing the menu or the Lens Control screen gets really slow.
When you change the HDMI signal while in that mode (e.g. stopping the movie so the signal changes from 1080p24 to 1080p60), the screen goes black and the only thing you can do is pull the plug.
Did you get any response from JVC?
Did your IR Receiver (for the remote) started to get less sensitive too, just about that time when the lock ups started to happen? I do now have to point the remote into the direction of the pj instead of just relying on the screen reflection. Plus after I got the pj back from service, the remote worked perfectly fine again (during projector setup). But that was just for a couple of minutes!
Michael

All of these things happened to mine. I took it to long beach center and they replaced the system board. All of my problems have since disappeared save one. The colors seem to change more than they should after about 1/2 hour of use.
post #9498 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmaven View Post

I would move the projector back as far as possible, that will maximize potential contrast, then start with a closed iris and open it up little by little as the bulb ages. Your contrast will reduce as you open the iris, but that is really unavoidable. As to which affects your contrast more (i.e. throw vs. iris) I don't know, though I've seen somewhere (perhaps a German review?) where they gave contrast measurements for short throw closed iris, short throw open iris, long throw closed iris, long throw open iris. That would probably answer your question.

Thanks for the response. I'll look around for the comparison info you mentioned, but maybe I'm making too big a deal of this.
post #9499 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

The colors seem to change more than they should after about 1/2 hour of use.
How do they change? Is it a general shift to red or green, or something more screwy? Also, you may already be doing this, but it seems to be a good idea to run in high altitude mode, no matter what (it maximizes cooling I guess).
post #9500 of 9972
According to this chart from cine4home.de the throw distance makes only a slight difference for the contrast ratio (plus or minus 3K), the iris though has a large impact (plus or minus 11K):

Edited by 3dmaven - 1/6/13 at 8:34pm
post #9501 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmaven View Post

According to this chart from cine4home.de the throw distance makes only a slight difference for the contrast ratio (plus or minus 3K), the iris though has a large impact (plus or minus 11K):

Thanks, just the info I needed. Looks like my original idea to use a short throw and close down the lens is the better option.
post #9502 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by e932 View Post

I've had my X3 projector for about 2 years before the exact same behaviour occurred.
Sent it to the service. Got it back after 3 weeks.
Worked fine for about 2 days, now it started to happen all over again.
The unit randomly just starts to go into some kind of 'freeze mode'. While in that mode you can continue watching whatever you're watching right now. But showing the menu or the Lens Control screen gets really slow.
When you change the HDMI signal while in that mode (e.g. stopping the movie so the signal changes from 1080p24 to 1080p60), the screen goes black and the only thing you can do is pull the plug.
Did you get any response from JVC?
Did your IR Receiver (for the remote) started to get less sensitive too, just about that time when the lock ups started to happen? I do now have to point the remote into the direction of the pj instead of just relying on the screen reflection. Plus after I got the pj back from service, the remote worked perfectly fine again (during projector setup). But that was just for a couple of minutes!
Michael

All of that is exactly what has happened to me, the front IR sensor doesn't work AT ALL I have to point the remote to the back wall so it'll hit the rear IR receiver. JVC just said it needs to be serviced, but as I said I thought I Had gotten it from an authorized seller but turns out it wasn't so I don't think I have a warranty now. So I'm not sure how much it would cost to fix out of pocket? Anyone have any idea's? It doesn't happen all the time, and lately it's been working ok..... but if I can get it fixed for not TOO much money then I may do that.
post #9503 of 9972
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1296327/official-jvc-rs40-x3-owners-thread/9390#post_22500655
Same problem for me and someone else, it is a known problem, i'll send soon my jvc for repair.
Ciao
Luigi
post #9504 of 9972
Yeah, well if you could find out how much the repair is out of warranty for me that'd be nice smile.gif lol I can't seem to get a number from the repair center over here.

Edit, well you're in italy so that probably wouldn't help anything. I may just have to call them.
post #9505 of 9972
How long is the turn around time? I live on the East coast, so I'm assuming a three week absence for the projector.
post #9506 of 9972
I have had my RS40 since April of 2011 and I have calibrated the grayscale with an Eye One Display LT. While I feel I got the grayscale close when I calibrated it, the meter is now over a year old and surely has drifted. I have a Lumagen Radiance XD that I bought used for a great price so I have the ability to do an auto calibration and have been thinking of buying Chromapure with the advanced auto calibration and an Eye One Display 3.

Are there any here that have bought a similar calibration package and have calibrated there RS40 and if so, does the price justify the end results? When I calibrated grayscale it did improve picture and the $150 or so I spent was justified but this is over 4x as much and didn't know if it will be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
post #9507 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

I have had my RS40 since April of 2011 and I have calibrated the grayscale with an Eye One Display LT. While I feel I got the grayscale close when I calibrated it, the meter is now over a year old and surely has drifted. I have a Lumagen Radiance XD that I bought used for a great price so I have the ability to do an auto calibration and have been thinking of buying Chromapure with the advanced auto calibration and an Eye One Display 3.

Are there any here that have bought a similar calibration package and have calibrated there RS40 and if so, does the price justify the end results? When I calibrated grayscale it did improve picture and the $150 or so I spent was justified but this is over 4x as much and didn't know if it will be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

I can't compare to what you were able to do with your Eye One LT. I also don't have an RS40. I have an RS20, similar in brightness and contrast I think. But I got a 125 pt Color Cube auto-cal package from Spectracal which does a very similar job to Chromapure. I got a Radiance Mini 3D, C6 colorometer and CalMAN Enthusiast and the results are really spectacular to my eyes and those of my wife and neighbors. So in my case I went from no calibration at all to 21 pt gamma and 125 pt color. I would definitely do it!
post #9508 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I can't compare to what you were able to do with your Eye One LT. I also don't have an RS40. I have an RS20, similar in brightness and contrast I think. But I got a 125 pt Color Cube auto-cal package from Spectracal which does a very similar job to Chromapure. I got a Radiance Mini 3D, C6 colorometer and CalMAN Enthusiast and the results are really spectacular to my eyes and those of my wife and neighbors. So in my case I went from no calibration at all to 21 pt gamma and 125 pt color. I would definitely do it!

Thanks! I saw an improvement when I just did grayscale with the LT but it either needs to be recalibrated or I just need to buy a better meter and I read about the Chromapure package with the autocal and Display 3 meter. The autocal feature is the main draw so that may be the way I go.

Thanks again,
Mike
post #9509 of 9972
Has anyone shipped their PJ in for repair and have it work 100% correctly afterward?

I have a love/hate relationship with this PJ. The picture is drop dead gorgeous for a digital PJ, perhaps the finest or close to the finest available. But, man, the hardware and/or firmware is junk.
post #9510 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent View Post

Has anyone shipped their PJ in for repair and have it work 100% correctly afterward?

I have a love/hate relationship with this PJ. The picture is drop dead gorgeous for a digital PJ, perhaps the finest or close to the finest available. But, man, the hardware and/or firmware is junk.

I have. No problems since. New bulb and new system board.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread