or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › $50-70 to spend on a Power Cable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$50-70 to spend on a Power Cable

post #1 of 145
Thread Starter 
Music Lovers:

Any Recommendations on a good value Power Cable to run an Integrated Amp?
(Cambridge Audio 650A)

Thanks for your suggestions!
post #2 of 145
The power cord that came with the amp is just fine. Take that $50-$70 you saved for the power cord and go and pick up a good bottle of 12 year single malt scotch to sip on while you listen to your amp.
post #3 of 145
^+1
post #4 of 145
i use signal power cables. they came with my amps so i cannot tell you if they sound any better than any other cable.

i would also suggest ironlung jellyfish, it has many good reviews.

these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them.
post #5 of 145
$2.48 @ monoprice.com

6ft 14ga

post #6 of 145
These people that are not into objective experimenting and trying DBT - don't listen to them. The tend to let their imagination do the talking.
post #7 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them.

This is called the "Audio Video SCIENCE" forum.

Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is an enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the natural world.

Look it up.
post #8 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

i would also suggest ironlung jellyfish, it has many good reviews.

What do you know about that power cord?
post #9 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them.

What exactly is a "new thing" with wire? Can you name some recent power wire developments that incease sound quality, and explain how it works?

I have an open mind, and am always willing to learn. You should try that sometime.
post #10 of 145
maybe more than you do, geek!

what do you know about it?

as far as this science thing posted above, i would comment on the idea that science can have both concrete, and theoretical ideas.

the simple factis that many hear differences and many do not. it is the ones that try to FORCE their ideas on others, that are the ones to look out for. they think they are right no matter what the real answers are.

so, he asked what were decent cords.. not if they made a difference.

and the fact is that monoprice cord almost caused a house fire in my theater. i would NOT call it a good cord.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

What exactly is a "new thing" with wire? Can you name some recent power wire developments that incease sound quality, and explain how it works?

I have an open mind, and am always willing to learn. You should try that sometime.

twisted pair is somewhat new, isint it
it has measurable differences, and it has measurable differences to the things around it as well. shielding is probably a little older in design, but i would be willing to bet there are cables that have these features, and cables that do not, that in the end could VERY drastically change his system from picking up am radio stations to having exceedingly quiet sound.


for the record i equate these arguments to equal the ones made against hytech in that their anti reversion chambers make no difference in the engines power, either at peak or under the curve. and while there are no measureable differences, every car that has them is a consistent .2-.3 faster around a road course.
post #11 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

the simple factis that many hear differences and many do not.

Have any evidence that there are those who really heard differences? Without that, it's not a fact.

Quote:


it is the ones that try to FORCE their ideas on others, that are the ones to look out for. they think they are right no matter what the real answers are.

Well then, stop trying to force your ideas on others who actually know what the real answers are.

Quote:


and the fact is that monoprice cord almost caused a house fire in my theater. i would NOT call it a good cord.

You actually bought a cable from Monoprice? Now you are just making things up. Why should anyone believe a thing you say?

Quote:


twisted pair is somewhat new, isint it

No. Not even close.
post #12 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Have any evidence that there are those who really heard differences? Without that, it's not a fact.



Well then, stop trying to force your ideas on others who actually know what the real answers are.



You actually bought a cable from Monoprice? Now you are just making things up. Why should anyone believe a thing you say?



No. Not even close.

your version of new and mine are different people still do not use it where it is required. that means the technology is still new to many people. the funny part is that the person who discovered it, discovered many things. and i would be quite sure that he did not require a double blind a/b test to determine that there was a difference between the twisted and untwisted pair!

and yes, i did have a cheap 14g power cable in my system. it melted and shorted. i think too much power.. anyways i now have a 10g cable and it does not get warm to the touch so i think in this case a proper power cord was verymuch an important thing in the sound quality (and safety) of my home
post #13 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

i use signal power cables. they came with my amps so i cannot tell you if they sound any better than any other cable.

i would also suggest ironlung jellyfish, it has many good reviews.

these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them.

That statement is really not true. We are into experimenting. Many experiments are a waste of time and $$$. The OP did not ask for a better sounding power cord. He asked for a good value power cord. It was just a guess that anyone looking to spend more than $20 for a power cord is seeking to gain something in sound quality by replacing the perfectly good factory power cord that came with the amp. Or replacing a misplaced stock cord with an expensive replacement. Read this article. Make sure you read the entire article.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2004.html

If these expensive power cords do make a difference. What about all the other inadequate wiring in the rest of your house? Never mind the other 50 miles of power cabling between your home and the power company that you have not touched? It's going to get really expensive ripping your entire house apart to replace every wire with magic wire. Never mind installing that 50 miles of magic wire between you and the power company. Oh, don't forget to do something about all those transformers and sub stations in the chain. You need to get rid of those to. Im glad it's winter and I have my boots on. The s--t's getting deep.
post #14 of 145
If a properly executed power cord influences my equipment, I wouldn't trust my equipment or it's power design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post


and the fact is that monoprice cord almost caused a house fire in my theater. i would NOT call it a good cord.

Please share your experiences. I currently use the monoprice 12g power cables on all my amps without any hazards or problems so far.

Quote:


for the record i equate these arguments to equal the ones made against hytech in that their anti reversion chambers make no difference in the engines power, either at peak or under the curve. and while there are no measureable differences, every car that has them is a consistent .2-.3 faster around a road course.

0.2 seconds faster per lap on a road course? Their are many variances that could cause a 0.2 difference on a race track. There are standards for car measurements that try to mitigate all environmental and other variables...
post #15 of 145
[quote=johnzm;19620942]maybe more than you do, geek!

The simple fact is that many hear differences and many do not. It is the ones that try to FORCE their ideas on others, that are the ones to look out for. They think they are right no matter what the real answers are.

So, he asked what were decent cords. Not if they made a difference.

And the fact is that Monoprice cord almost caused a house fire in my theater, I would NOT call it a good cord.




Twisted pair is somewhat new, isn't it?
It has measurable differences, and it has measurable differences to the things around it as well. Shielding is probably a little older in design, but I would be willing to bet there are cables that have these features, and cables that do not, that in the end could VERY drastically change his system from picking up am radio stations to having exceedingly quiet sound.


For the record, I equate these arguments to equal the ones made against Hytech in that their anti reversion chambers make no difference in the engine's power, either at peak or under the curve. And while there are no measurable differences, every car that has them is a consistent .2-.3 faster around a road course.

(Quoted but I corrected all the errors in grammar and punctuation.)

I hate to inform you but twisted pair wiring is about 100 years old and shielded twisted pair cables are about 70 years old.

Since you do not understand what happens in an AC to DC power supply, naturally you would make the assumption that audible effects are created by a passive wire. Two things matter: Voltage drop as a function of wire resistance and current draw of the device under power. As long as the conductors are sufficient gauge, all is well. As properly filtered DC from the power supply has no frequency component, it does NOT insert any form of acoustical alteration of the recorded audio.

If you almost had a fire using a Monoprice or any other manufacturer's cable, there was either damage to the cable or it was undersized for the application.

There is also the real probability that the installer(you) did something inherently dangerous in the assembly.

As others have mentioned, the stock cables are quite satisfactory.
post #16 of 145
he said 50-70 on a power cord. i told him some cords that are in and around his price range that are nice cables.

for reference i build all my cables from scratch 12 and 10 guage cabling. its much nicer when your cables are built to length with nice ends that are not loose or shoddy.(or melt)

i have not gone power cable experimenting. i know some who have and have heard a difference. they are comparing 1000 dollar power cables tho. i would like to know who that is posting, has listened to a power cable test on a resolving system with 1000 dollar or more power cables and has NOT heard a difference. i will go ahead and tell you that i have not listened to any power cables that are known for their good sound in my system before. i have a/b ironlung cords in a full manley system, and know its benefits and weaknesses.
post #17 of 145
"and yes, i did have a cheap 14g power cable in my system. it melted and shorted. i think too much power.. anyways i now have a 10g cable and it does not get warm to the touch so i think in this case a proper power cord was verymuch an important thing in the sound quality (and safety) of my home."

The problem was 100% your fault. Your home is wired with 14 awg romex on branch circuits or at the most, 12 awg. The max allowable current on 12 awg romex is 20 amps. The outlets are rated at 15 A max unless you use 20 amp dedicated outlets. These will NOT be in multiple locations such as room outlets but rather in a single outlet per branch circuit.

The device under power will be equipped with the appropriately sized power cable in order to achieve a UL and/or CSA rating. If you added any additional devices to the power cable aside from what it was intended to handle the sole issue is YOUR choice to overload the power cable AND the branch circuit wiring in the walls of your home. If you melted an actual 14 awg cable then you came real close to doing the same to the branch circuit wiring as well and the breaker should have tripped after about 5 minutes max.
post #18 of 145
Hey, jdjaye,

Are you sorry you asked yet?

Maybe you are the type who believes this power cord voodoo. In that case, go ahead and listen to johnzm and anyone else who comes along with their favorite brands of snake oil. Try 'em out and pick your favorite.

But if you're not a believer, or you don't know what to believe, then take to heart what datgai said: If changing a power cord changes the sound of a component, there is something seriously wrong with the design of that component. There is no other scientifically plausible explanation for such behavior.
post #19 of 145
get nordost itès recommended by expert listeners
post #20 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

i know some who have and have heard a difference. they are comparing 1000 dollar power cables tho.

How do you know they heard differences? Sounds to me like you know some who claim to have heard differences, nothing more.
post #21 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

get nordost itès recommended by expert listeners

You should check his price range again.
post #22 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

How do you know they heard differences? Sounds to me like you know some who claim to have heard differences, nothing more.

you are so sure of yourself that you can tell them what they heard was wrong, when you have no idea what it was they heard, in what venue and context and even the quality of the cords being swapped about. you have quite the insight there.


the people that are posting against me are quite oppressive to this forum, which is not very conducive to a healthy discussion on anything related to actual enjoyment of the hobby. like the other thread, i am going to have to stop posting because of people who push their ideals down peoples throats so hard. its very saddening actually. if you want some useful discussion on what kind of power cord would work in the price range you have, check out the "The Path of Least Resistance" circle on audiocircle.
post #23 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

you are so sure of yourself that you can tell them what they heard was wrong, when you have no idea what it was they heard, in what venue and context and even the quality of the cords being swapped about. you have quite the insight there.

I'm quite sure that no one has ever been able to demonstrate that they could hear a difference in blind testing. Anything to refute that? Even a half baked theory on why a power cable would change the sound? Anything?

Quote:


the people that are posting against me are quite oppressive to this forum, which is not very conducive to a healthy discussion on anything related to actual enjoyment of the hobby.

So you think it's healthy to continue to spread audio myths?

Quote:


like the other thread, i am going to have to stop posting because of people who push their ideals down peoples throats so hard.

Or you could just stop pushing your ideals, without anything to back it up, and expecting others to stay silent.
post #24 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post


these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them.

Right. Instead, listen to any electrical engineer, who can provide real, scientific proof that your power cord has absolutely NO impact on what is coming out of your speakers unless for some reason it is inadequate in its ability to pass sufficient current.

Next time you think you need to piss away ANY extra cash on a power cord, take your wall plate off and see what the electrons are traveling through to even get to that power cord. Then if that doesn't satisfy you, take your amp cover off and see the wire that they use to transport the current from the cord plug to the transformer.

Expecting your power cord to improve your sound quality is like replacing a short section of your garden hose and expecting your garden vegetables to taste better.
post #25 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

Right. Instead, listen to any electrical engineer, who can provide real, scientific proof that your power cord has absolutely NO impact on what is coming out of your speakers unless for some reason it is inadequate in its ability to pass sufficient current.

Next time you think you need to piss away ANY extra cash on a power cord, take your wall plate off and see what the electrons are traveling through to even get to that power cord. Then if that doesn't satisfy you, take your amp cover off and see the wire that they use to transport the current from the cord plug to the transformer.

Expecting your power cord to improve your sound quality is like replacing a short section of your garden hose and expecting your garden vegetables to taste better.

While I agree, if your going to point out the EE's perspective you should note that electrons don't move down the wire under AC voltage, they sit in place and 'vibrate'. Current isn't a result of electron motion down the wire in AC circuits.
post #26 of 145
"Expecting your power cord to improve your sound quality is like replacing a short section of your garden hose and expecting your garden vegetables to taste better."

Don't forget the effect on the nutritional content of vegetables if you use a brass nozzle vs a plastic one.
post #27 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

maybe more than you do, geek!
what do you know about it?

johnzm, my reply was to show you your own hypocrisy. You recommend a power cord that you've never experimented with ("it has many good reviews"), then the next sentence you say, "these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them".

You've been posting claims after claims about cables last couple of weeks on this section of the forum. How about posting some evidences to substantiate those claims for a change? Remember, opinion dose not mean evidence. Now, can you post some evidences for healthy discussion sake instead of running away?
post #28 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

johnzm, my reply was to show you your own hypocrisy. You recommend a power cord that you've never experimented with ("it has many good reviews"), then the next sentence you say, "these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them".

You've been posting claims after claims about cables last couple of weeks on this section of the forum. How about posting some evidences to substantiate those claims for a change? Remember, opinion dose not mean evidence. Now, can you post some evidences for healthy discussion sake instead of running away?

i did in fact post my perception. i have had QUITE a change in system sound in many different systems, some i dont even own, with cable changes. my personal experience in the matter is tossed away by some, who have experience in the other way, and some who have no experience at all.

i have had experiences where people within 30 seconds of me putting new cables in their own systems, without my telling them, have noted that something had changed. they were not even aware what it was until they went looking at the gear.

my own personal experiences are vastly different than yours, i am sure.

these cables i am hearing differences on, are not 2 relatively cheap cables (which probably have the same style constructions and materials in their builds) but are drastically different from the normal teflon or pvc covered copper wiring. these cables that i enjoy the most, are not the cheapest cable.

some of them are not that expensive tho, either (signal silver interconnects, for instance) and do change the sound of the system.
and as for the evidence, this is not opinion to me anymore, and it is no opinion to anyone who has heard a difference either. it is fact, that i heard a difference.i PERCIEVED one, however you want to take that (since the FACT is that sound is a very personal sense much like taste) but the fact remains, i am happier with the cables in my system than without. and the price of the cable has nothing to do with my happiness, since i have tried more expensive and moved back to cheaper cables.

now, that i have elaborated on my experiences where i did hear differences, can you give some experiences you have had where you did not?
post #29 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

i did in fact post my perception. i have had QUITE a change in system sound in many different systems, some i dont even own, with cable changes. my personal experience in the matter is tossed away by some, who have experience in the other way, and some who have no experience at all.

i have had experiences where people within 30 seconds of me putting new cables in their own systems, without my telling them, have noted that something had changed. they were not even aware what it was until they went looking at the gear.

my own personal experiences are vastly different than yours, i am sure.

these cables i am hearing differences on, are not 2 relatively cheap cables (which probably have the same style constructions and materials in their builds) but are drastically different from the normal teflon or pvc covered copper wiring. these cables that i enjoy the most, are not the cheapest cable.

some of them are not that expensive tho, either (signal silver interconnects, for instance) and do change the sound of the system.
and as for the evidence, this is not opinion to me anymore, and it is no opinion to anyone who has heard a difference either. it is fact, that i heard a difference.i PERCIEVED one, however you want to take that (since the FACT is that sound is a very personal sense much like taste) but the fact remains, i am happier with the cables in my system than without. and the price of the cable has nothing to do with my happiness, since i have tried more expensive and moved back to cheaper cables.

now, that i have elaborated on my experiences where i did hear differences,

Evidence needs to meet series of criteria to be confirmed which you didn't do. One of them is called repeatability. Has your comparison been done in a properly conducted DBT that adheres to the standard protocol discussed on this forum from time to time?
Quote:


can you give some experiences you have had where you did not?

Once you can present a case that resulted from a properly conducted comparison, I'll let you know about it. By the way, here's a brief description, I once perceived a difference between cables so I know and you know that it's a system with high enough resolution and my hearing is sufficient. Then did the DBT with same cables in the same system and the difference was gone. There's more but I'll wait for your presentation on DBT.
post #30 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

... i know some who have and have heard a difference. ....

Or, perhaps that is just their claim, unsupported by evidence, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

...the simple factis that many hear differences
...

Simple fact? How so? Based on what evidence? Why is that evidence so elusive and nonexistent if it is a simple fact?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 2 Channel Audio
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › $50-70 to spend on a Power Cable