or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Elan g!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Elan g! - Page 2

post #31 of 120
Not thru RS232, that's usually accomplished through an IP connection. I"m not sure what the Sony xbar is.
post #32 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

Not thru RS232, that's usually accomplished through an IP connection. I"m not sure what the Sony xbar is.

The Sony xbar is the ps3 interface that Sony now uses for most of it's products.
post #33 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

So does that mean that it will show the cover art through the élan g interface or is it the Sony xbar?

Yes, it will show full cover art of your collection right on the g! Interface ala Kaleidescape style, including on iPads and even the iPhone. This is through the RS232 ports on the BD changer. Elan gets the cover art info from it's own service, not from the BD changer. This is how they get around any limitations of the RS232 interface compared to the network interface.
post #34 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airric View Post

Yes, it will show full cover art of your collection right on the g! Interface ala Kaleidescape style, including on iPads and even the iPhone. This is through the RS232 ports on the BD changer. Elan gets the cover art info from it's own service, not from the BD changer. This is how they get around any limitations of the RS232 interface compared to the network interface.

I am excited to see what it will look like when my system is completed in two months. I have set up the changer in my current home and it is really cool but the interface sucks.
post #35 of 120
You mean sony's interface suck? As I knew, G! media app introduction picture is just showing sony BD changer's content. I think they will integarte very well. RS-232 is used for control signal. Cover and artist infomation is achieved from internet via metadata,right?
post #36 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO888 View Post

You mean sony's interface suck? As I knew, G! media app introduction picture is just showing sony BD changer's content. I think they will integarte very well. RS-232 is used for control signal. Cover and artist infomation is achieved from internet via metadata,right?

I'm pretty sure he meant Sony's XMB interface for browsing through the changer's disc library sucks. Personally, I understand why a lot of people complain about Sony's native interface. The cover art is really small and if you have a few hundred disc loaded, It can be hard to scroll through the entire collection.

Elan's interface is different simply because of where you are viewing the interface from. Whereas Sony's interface can only be viewed on the TV display, Elan's is browsed from some form of touchscreen interface (i.e. iPad, iPhone, Elan touchscreens, etc.) which makes it much easier to browse though your entire library via the use of swipe gestures and from the palm of your hand. While I certainly wouldn't put Elan's interface up there with say, Kaleidescapes, you also are only paying 1/4 of the price of an equivalent Kaleidescape system.

And yes, Elan is only controlling and getting simple metadata from Sony over the RS232 connection. Elan gets cover art from it's own connection to an online service (I believe it's Gracenote).
post #37 of 120
Thread Starter 
Yes, I meant Sony's xmb interface. Sorry for the confusion.

Eric, what about Apple TV does that interface properly with the G! System?
post #38 of 120
If you're asking about Apple TV 2, then the answer is no, no matter whose system we're talking about. If you're talking about the original Apple TV, then the answer is unfortunately still no as it pertains to Elan specifically. Not that you couldn't connect it as a source to the system and control it via IR and utilize ATV's OSD on a TV. Just not full two way integration like what I think you're asking for.

There are some rumors at Elan that they are close to having full iTunes integration built into g!, but no promises as to if and when.
post #39 of 120
By the way, Eric, are you familiar with Xantech multiroom music product? For all included in AVC, would compatibility with Elan g! be better?

I meet a case to choose between Russound and Xantech. thx
post #40 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO888 View Post

By the way, Eric, are you familiar with Xantech multiroom music product? For all included in AVC, would compatibility with Elan g! be better?

It's important to remember, the AVC Group was only officially formed on January 1st of this year. They are still going through a transition phase right now which includes moving personnel around (including physical relocation in some instances). Don't expect to see the full benefits of the collaboration within the AVC Group until later this year or beyond.

As I noted in another post, just because these companies were "sister" companies under the Linear umbrella prior to the formation of the AVC Group, doesn't mean that there was much, if any, collaboration between companies at all. Most companies under the Linear umbrella worked autonomously from each other. This was the motivation behind the formation of the AVC Group by Linear. To bring companies with like technologies together. NOT so that they all become one big company, but more so that they don't keep reinventing the wheel three times over on every product. Each company will retain it's identity and do what it does best, but there will be more collaboration and synergy moving forward with new technologies/products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO888 View Post

I meet a case to choose between Russound and Xantech. thx

Ironically (and proving my point above), Elan g! has drivers for Russound's multiroom controllers but NOT Xantech. For Xantech, Elan only has drivers for the HD44C, which is an HD video matrix switcher. For Russound, Elan has drivers for the CAV6.6/CAM6.6 as well as the ACA-E5/ZXP-E5 systems.

We exclusively use Elan's matrix switchers when we do a multizone A/V system controlled by g!, so I can't comment on how well Russound works with g!
post #41 of 120
Great answer! Thank you very much.
Our customer prefer Russound. I will try to change it.( I advised him a Elan M86A for music streaming plus multi-zone. )
post #42 of 120
Thread Starter 
I am getting close to the finishing stages on my construction.
The entry system will have key fobs with electric strike for two exterior doors plus a remote gate.
I am putting in the Elan DSC3 doorbell system which can open the front gate (or so I've been told).
Does anyone know If it can also control remote unlocking of the other exterior doors?
post #43 of 120
You'll need to add a C2 controller.
post #44 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

You'll need to add a C2 controller.

Adding a second C2 controller or are both doable from one controller
post #45 of 120
It can handle up to 4 doors
post #46 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

It can handle up to 4 doors

Thank you Chicagorep. That helps a lot.
post #47 of 120
Thread Starter 
Another question. Sorry but my installer seems to be mediocre at best.
I had heard that there is a sun sensor that is available that can sense when to lower automatic shades.
My installer says it doesnt exist.
Is this correct ?
post #48 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

Another question. Sorry but my installer seems to be mediocre at best.
I had heard that there is a sun sensor that is available that can sense when to lower automatic shades.
My installer says it doesnt exist.
Is this correct ?

Not in the Elan platform. There are 3rd party units that can be tied to the Elan unit to do what you are looking for. A little online research should help you find a source.
post #49 of 120
Thread Starter 
Can any CCTV DVR be hooked up to the system or is it tied to a particular protocol?
post #50 of 120
It can, you would use RS232 to control the DVR and the Video out on the DVR would be tied into the Video switch, or via IP if the DVR has that output.
post #51 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep
It can, you would use RS232 to control the DVR and the Video out on the DVR would be tied into the Video switch, or via IP if the DVR has that output.
So has to have rs232?
post #52 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post


So has to have rs232?

No, you could just use IR to control your DVR if it didn't have RS232, it's just not quite as reliable (emitter falling off, etc).
post #53 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airric View Post


No, you could just use IR to control your DVR if it didn't have RS232, it's just not quite as reliable (emitter falling off, etc).

Thank you. There is a great deal on a DVR and it seems to have everything except rs232. For the break in the price I will suffer with the infrared issues.
post #54 of 120
Thread Starter 
I only need 4 rs232 ports. I've been told the option is to go to hc6 from hc12.
Apparently the only difference is the extra 6 ports and hard drive.
What would the hard drive be used for and can I do it by using a NAS drive.
post #55 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

I only need 4 rs232 ports. I've been told the option is to go to hc6 from hc12.
Apparently the only difference is the extra 6 ports and hard drive.
What would the hard drive be used for and can I do it by using a NAS drive.

Should I stay with the 12?
post #56 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post


Should I stay with the 12?

You can replicate just about everything the internal HDD in the HC12 can do with a NAS. So the only difference left is # of serial ports. You could also consider the HC4, it has 4 serial ports and a few less sense and relay ports. But it has all the processing power of the HC6 & HC12.
post #57 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airric View Post


You can replicate just about everything the internal HDD in the HC12 can do with a NAS. So the only difference left is # of serial ports. You could also consider the HC4, it has 4 serial ports and a few less sense and relay ports. But it has all the processing power of the HC6 & HC12.

Thank you Airic, sounds like the HC6 will hit the spot for me.
Can't wait to get the system installed. Hopefully moving in by end of October.
post #58 of 120
My father has an old Elan S12 system with Via Panels. One of his S12 units broke and I had to rewire everything to the other S12. One issue is I had to re-program everything and I am not an elan programmer. The Via Panel programming is the worst.

Therefore I lost the light programming and other functions, however I was able to get one of the via's working for my father in his office to run the tv.

However the writing is on the wall that the system needs to be replaced. I cannot find an elan dealer to look at the system...The one that did the install went bye bye. The wiring is Horrible also...it's driving me crazy.

Do you think it would be worth finding an Elan installer to look at it? I am not sure of the cost of the G system. I looked at Home Logic a while back and it looked good.

He also has an HAI system installed. I am very familiar with the HAI and their programming with Design Studio. I was thinking of handling the change over and use HAI as the main interface. I am currently using an ipad with HAI Snap-link to control the lighting, temp, security.

There is a lot of equipment that he lost his money on (2-S12 units, 7 Via Panels, camera interface). However from what I am hearing, Elan will not give any value for the older equip.

Therefore I am not sure what route to take. Look toward an Elan dealer for help on the system or rip it all out, keep the amps, add some multi room A/V switcher and tie it all into the HAI for control.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you
post #59 of 120
Hello, I have a question about the CVRM Component Video Receive.
I have a rack located in my basement with 3 Verizon Fios HD cable boxes along with my Elan system. HC12, M68A and V85. I want to sent HD video to
4 TV's along with IR controll from the TV back to the rack. Can I do it with the CVRM. I am going to use the RSWP for audio just incase i want to use the TV speakers.

Thanks, Andrew
post #60 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapozzoli View Post

My father has an old Elan S12 system with Via Panels. One of his S12 units broke and I had to rewire everything to the other S12. One issue is I had to re-program everything and I am not an elan programmer. The Via Panel programming is the worst.

Therefore I lost the light programming and other functions, however I was able to get one of the via's working for my father in his office to run the tv.

However the writing is on the wall that the system needs to be replaced. I cannot find an elan dealer to look at the system...The one that did the install went bye bye. The wiring is Horrible also...it's driving me crazy.

Do you think it would be worth finding an Elan installer to look at it? I am not sure of the cost of the G system. I looked at Home Logic a while back and it looked good.

He also has an HAI system installed. I am very familiar with the HAI and their programming with Design Studio. I was thinking of handling the change over and use HAI as the main interface. I am currently using an ipad with HAI Snap-link to control the lighting, temp, security.

There is a lot of equipment that he lost his money on (2-S12 units, 7 Via Panels, camera interface). However from what I am hearing, Elan will not give any value for the older equip.

Therefore I am not sure what route to take. Look toward an Elan dealer for help on the system or rip it all out, keep the amps, add some multi room A/V switcher and tie it all into the HAI for control.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

Not all of the Elan equipment needs to be ripped out to upgrade to g! Both S12's are still current product and could easily stay and continue to serve A/V matrix switching duties. Obviously all the amps and speakers can stay. That just leaves the VIA touchscreens and whatever system processor he was using (either an SC-4 or SS1) as needing to be replaced.

My biased opinion (I'm an Elan dealer) is it's worth upgrading to g! Incorporating your existing Elan equipment into g! is fairly painless. And g! programming is much better than the old clunky programming of VIA!Tools.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Automation
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Elan g!