or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++ - Page 5

post #121 of 624
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Another options for surrounds is this sale on Rocket RSS300's:
http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...6120#post66120

Mike

Those look nice, can they be found in black? I'll check some other websites as well.


How about these for surrounds...mounted on the wall?

post #122 of 624
Hi Greg,

electrostatic speakers are truly remarkable. I couldn't believe what I heard the first time I heard a pair of Martin Logan's. Their size and dipolar nature kinda make them difficult to place.

Great progress otherwise! You sure is working fast and it looks like you'll end up with a fantastic room!

I'm in Omaha too btw.

/Anders
post #123 of 624
Thread Starter 
So, I'm rolling with Chase Home Theater for my subs/L/C/R.

I got a hot deal for 3 SHO-10s and the 18.T "The DUO" package.

Now I'm trying to settle on surrounds.

Might have to get the QS8 Axioms....or look at Rockets or even the Emotiva ERD1s. I don't like how they have a sub 90 sensitivity and are 4 ohms though.


Time to go find a AVR.
post #124 of 624
Thread Starter 
Today I purchased:

CS-18.1 T (Dual 18" Subs)
CHT SHO-10 L/C/R
Axiom QS8 Surrounds (I want to try dipole/bipole, sounds interesting for me)
Heights Speakers
Onkyo NR1007 AVR.

Good work for one day.

Now to go get that floor tiled!

Then the shower this weekend....

I also need to look into whole house surge supression. Anyone? Or at least one that I could put inline to my 2-20A circuits at the rack?

Thanks!
post #125 of 624
Let me know when you get the stereo equipment in. I want to hear it! Hopefully your room plays better with acoustics than mine. I've got plenty of firepower for bass, just not at the seating currently... Slowly working it out.
post #126 of 624
Thread Starter 
Well the floor is laid and will be finished tomorrow hopefully.

Did any of you use silicone grout sealer?



I also don't know where I'll put the TP dispenser....hmmm.



On the shower door?
post #127 of 624
I have the QS8's and the ERD 1's. The QS8 hang on my walls and the ERD's sit in their box. Both sound great, but the QS8 won me over. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Today I purchased:

CS-18.1 T (Dual 18" Subs)
CHT SHO-10 L/C/R
Axiom QS8 Surrounds (I want to try dipole/bipole, sounds interesting for me)
Heights Speakers
Onkyo NR1007 AVR.

Good work for one day.

Now to go get that floor tiled!

Then the shower this weekend....

I also need to look into whole house surge supression. Anyone? Or at least one that I could put inline to my 2-20A circuits at the rack?

Thanks!
post #128 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I have the QS8's and the ERD 1's. The QS8 hang on my walls and the ERD's sit in their box. Both sound great, but the QS8 won me over. Enjoy!

thats funny...I prefered the erd's over the qs8's...funny...in that everyones perception of audio often comes down to personal taste....and I liked the value of the erd's.

benn following the thread...looking good!
post #129 of 624
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post

thats funny...I prefered the erd's over the qs8's...funny...in that everyones perception of audio often comes down to personal taste....and I liked the value of the erd's.

benn following the thread...looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I have the QS8's and the ERD 1's. The QS8 hang on my walls and the ERD's sit in their box. Both sound great, but the QS8 won me over. Enjoy!


Thanks for checking it out guys!

If the ERDs were $250 like some have gotten, instead of the current MSRP $399, I might have jumped....The axioms I got for under $500 from the outlet....

I might end up liking them, I've heard both but for theater I want to try the dipole approach for side surround!

Stay tuned....finish tiling this week..maybe countertops next week...

Electrical should be finished next weekend..Then audio hookup and projector hookup.
post #130 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post

thats funny...I prefered the erd's over the qs8's...funny...in that everyones perception of audio often comes down to personal taste....and I liked the value of the erd's.

benn following the thread...looking good!

The ERD's did sound good, and to be honest both of them sounded just fine. I like the look of the QS8 and it was a tad smaller in size which fit a peculiar area that I had to install one on.

I paid $299 for the ERD's. They just sit in a box with 30 minutes on them. I just may have to list them.
post #131 of 624
Thread Starter 
Sometimes you have to mix it up and build more fun stuff.



Snappy "snap-paks", the popcorn scooper, seasonings all arrived...

So we put the popper together as well.

Metropolitan 6oz. Should be fun!

Probably will try out soon.....
post #132 of 624
Thread Starter 
Going to try and build a projector mount today.

If that doesn't work..YamahaSHO is going to recoup some money on his Chief mount purchase.


Also going to start filling up the rack.
post #133 of 624
Building a projector mount?
Is this a ceiling mount or a "box"?
Let's see this...

Mike
post #134 of 624
Thread Starter 
Mike-

I think I'm going to attach the projector mount to the ceiling via this (painted black or something of course....)

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/12...ceiling-mount/

But make the base plate (if Lowes has the materials today) like this....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...232749&page=11

I don't need the pipe to go so far...I want this as close to the ceiling as possible...I'm just going to buy a bunch of stuff....

I'll put pics up if I get it done today...


EDIT: Option 1 is to mount it flush under the soffit (I have blockouts there and know anywhere I drill I hit a 2x8).
Option 2 is to mount it to the ceiling behind the rear of the soffit (11.5 inch drop). This would allow the projector to be even higher but utilize a longer throw....and use the pipe method. Also didn't block out the ceiling though...
post #135 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Mike-

I think I'm going to attach the projector mount to the ceiling via this (painted black or something of course....)

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/12...ceiling-mount/

But make the base plate (if Lowes has the materials today) like this....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...232749&page=11

I don't need the pipe to go so far...I want this as close to the ceiling as possible...I'm just going to buy a bunch of stuff....

I'll put pics up if I get it done today...


EDIT: Option 1 is to mount it flush under the soffit (I have blockouts there and know anywhere I drill I hit a 2x8).
Option 2 is to mount it to the ceiling behind the rear of the soffit (11.5 inch drop). This would allow the projector to be even higher but utilize a longer throw....and use the pipe method. Also didn't block out the ceiling though...

Very cool.
A "universal" mount -- eg a piece of wood allows for your projector upgrades in the future. Good thinking.

Mike
post #136 of 624
Thread Starter 
I figured I would use a lot of rubber grommets (Lowes, automotive section) and rubber washers throughout to limit any vibrations...



I ended up spending about $70 on supplies, but I'll probably return the spray paint and some extra washers and such.

I had Lowes cut the plexiglass sheet into 3 small ones for the projector mounting plate (extra for other projectors later)...and 1 large one for the ceiling mounting plate.



First plate mounted. I had to use M3 size machine screws to mount the small plate to the projector. There were 4 of these holes on my Optoma HD 72. Then, I had to use a 1/4in - 20 machine screw for the middle mount to add some security (seems like a tripod location or something sort of centered in between the 4 M3. Yep, Metric and SAE; awesome).

You could always just use the 1/4" hole in the center, but it flexed the projector casing too much and seemed risky to me. Then again, I could get a new projector quicker if it failed.

The holes for the Optoma HD72 are all seemingly on the left half of the projector. Weird for balance: I'm sure to find out.



I reversed the screws to go towards the ceiling to mount to the larger plate. Spaced out by more washers/rubber grommets, etc. All 1/4in here.



Larger plate mounted.



My biggest trouble was trying to figure out how I wanted to mount the larger plate to the ceiling and leave room to adjust x/y/z axis.

I settled on hooks even though they look pretty DIY I thought it would be easiest using these and the plates for when I get a new projector next year or whenever.



Now do I want to watch football or try to mount this thing?


EDIT: The main problem with my setup is accessing the filter. It is CONVENIENTLY placed so that cover can't be removed unless all of the mount is taken off from the projector. So, cleaned it once now....

I also think cooling should be okay since nothing is flush to the projector casing.
post #137 of 624
Thread Starter 
Went down and started playing 720p movie trailers from apple.com/trailers.

Sat the projector up on some boxes about 2 inches from soffit...If I place the projector towards the back end of soffit, I should be able to zoom all the way back to 1.0 and it fills the 118" diagonal...

This setup should work.

I'm not going to hang it...because I wouldn't even be able to get carpet in I'll be watching movies once my audio gets here next week!

Back to sitting on the shelf. Poor projector.
post #138 of 624
Thread Starter 



I think the order I'll put the remaining stuff is...

Onkyo NR 1007 AVR
Emotiva UPA-7
HTPC
Xbox 360
Cable/DVR
HTS5100
AVS2000

Any changes you guys suggest?

I'll eventually put fans/close up the back end once things are getting finished up. Right now the back is open to the storage area.
post #139 of 624
Great pics.
That looks like one lonely, empty rack!


Mike
post #140 of 624
Thread Starter 
I think everyone should buy one of these...and yellow popcorn with the coconut oil please!



Kaiser wants some.

post #141 of 624
The dog looks pretty interested =)
post #142 of 624
Wow! You've been a busy bee while I've been away.

Looking really good. Glad to see you are moving forward with the projector mounting and it's working out so far. I would suggest putting the power amp on top and receiver below it. The amp will generate more heat and you don't want that heat flowing through the other gear. Think about what gear needs hands on functions like loading CDs, DVDs, Game discs and such and mount them in the middle of the rack or whatever hight is easily accessible.... Not too high or too low.
post #143 of 624
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

Wow! You've been a busy bee while I've been away.

Looking really good. Glad to see you are moving forward with the projector mounting and it's working out so far. I would suggest putting the power amp on top and receiver below it. The amp will generate more heat and you don't want that heat flowing through the other gear. Think about what gear needs hands on functions like loading CDs, DVDs, Game discs and such and mount them in the middle of the rack or whatever hight is easily accessible.... Not too high or too low.

Good call. I guess the UPA-7 will probably be generating more heat than the Onkyo AVR since I'll be utilizing all channels on it and 2 on the AVR....

Otherwise, I have the xbox360 and the HTPC set to be arms height for loading...

Thanks guys...

Hopefully tile is done by Friday and trim gets done within a week....countertop and carpet by Superbowl? Probably not, but we can always hope!


EDIT: L/C: I might end up raising my screen a bit...at least to cover the electric panel...maybe 3 inches or so. That would leave eyes at roughly 1/3 height of screen, and my two 20" cube subs could go anywhere across the soundstage instead of corners..thoughts?
post #144 of 624
Thread Starter 
I'm trying to decide on wall posters.

Theme or no theme?

Batman and James Bond would be in the running...

Or for my next theater build....A Bond one would be AWESOME.
post #145 of 624
Eyes at 1/3 screen height sounds perfect to me.

No thoughts re: posters, as I personally don't favor that look. Unless they include bimbos, then I might be persuaded.
post #146 of 624
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post
Eyes at 1/3 screen height sounds perfect to me.

No thoughts re: posters, as I personally don't favor that look. Unless they include bimbos, then I might be persuaded.



True, I may rethink this for the main reason of more reflections and rattling potential...
post #147 of 624
Thread Starter 
I might buy one of these...

Suggestions...wait until I set things up? Get it now? Don't need it?

Gramma (23x15.2.8) - $49.95 shipped at Amazon
Great gramma (30x19x2.75) - $79 shipped at Amazon
Subdude (15x15x2.8) - $49.95 shipped at Amazon


http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-GREAT-...4847466&sr=1-1

What do you guys think?
post #148 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I might buy one of these...

Suggestions...wait until I set things up? Get it now? Don't need it?

Gramma (23x15.2.8) - $49.95 shipped at Amazon
Great gramma (30x19x2.75) - $79 shipped at Amazon
Subdude (15x15x2.8) - $49.95 shipped at Amazon


http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-GREAT-...4847466&sr=1-1

What do you guys think?

I would try it without first.

Mike
post #149 of 624
Thread Starter 
Almost there.....



post #150 of 624
Thread Starter 
Going to try and read through the whole thing.

And words of encouragement?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++