or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++ - Page 6

post #151 of 623
Skip the questions, and look for posts by bpape, Terry Montlick, Ethan Winer, and Dennis Erskine.

I've read it all the way through - twice.
post #152 of 623
What is the review on the Popcorn machine ?
post #153 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

No thoughts re: posters, as I personally don't favor that look.

I feel the same way. No need to clutter up the walls in the theater. Ans since they would have glass in them and that hard shiney surface would rattle and reflect which is just the opposite of why I covered my walls with cloth and different levels of acoustic insulation. I have thought about putting some up in the hallway leading to theater but never could decide on what to use. But since your's is a gameroom in the back you could put them up back there.

As far as the sub isolation pads, I agree to try them without. Since you're carpeting down there and it's going over concrete slab, there's not much need for isolation IMO. You could also trim down extra carpet and put under there if you want more isolation. There is always left over carpet pieces.
post #154 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Skip the questions, and look for posts by bpape, Terry Montlick, Ethan Winer, and Dennis Erskine.

I've read it all the way through - twice.

That thread is meaty...I'm not even close but have learned a lot so far..or so I think.



Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

What is the review on the Popcorn machine ?

The popcorn machine, I think, is worth it. It is the 6 oz, and me and my wife killed the entire batch of popcorn....but it was alot....enough for 4 people easy. I'm anxious to try other brands as well. I just got Snappy, and it tastes fine. I sort of want to experiment with the liquid butter (or whatever it is) down the road. We tried yellow popcorn with coconut oil, and the white variety as well. I think you NEED coconut oil, otherwise certain microwave varieties are just as good.

Overall, good buy. It was a "little" cheaper on the powerbuy from Roman, but I'm sure you might find a better deal with searching.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

I feel the same way. No need to clutter up the walls in the theater. Ans since they would have glass in them and that hard shiney surface would rattle and reflect which is just the opposite of why I covered my walls with cloth and different levels of acoustic insulation. I have thought about putting some up in the hallway leading to theater but never could decide on what to use. But since your's is a gameroom in the back you could put them up back there.

You know, that is a great point. I think my plan is to put 6 on the stairway going towards the basement..3 on each side...or my Husker prints I already have (SI Covers of Huskers and the Stealth Bomber flyover)

I may also put one of the art film prints I mentioned on the CHT forum in the bathroom.

I plan on putting velvet curtains across the window on the right side of the room, and make a mirror of it for one to hang on the left. This should also cover the first reflection points, right?


As far as the sub isolation pads, I agree to try them without. Since you're carpeting down there and it's going over concrete slab, there's not much need for isolation IMO. You could also trim down extra carpet and put under there if you want more isolation. There is always left over carpet pieces.

Roger that guys, no isolation pads for now.

Got my Onkyo 1007 tonight, time to go throw it in the rack!



As always guys, thanks for the comments and info.
post #155 of 623
Thread Starter 
R/L Carriers (CHT shipping partner) called and my CHT stuff is coming tomorrow.

I'm psyched.

Can't set it up until Monday at the earliest though....work tomorrow and Saturday is the day to finish up the wiring...

Pick out counters on Monday.....

Picks of the AVR and rack...



Went with the most bang for buck...hope it works out.....



I don't care how many refurbished stickers Onkyo threw on this thing, it still looks perfect..hope the innards are good to go!



I'll take some better pictures later...Just wanted to show you the rack is getting a little bit fuller!
post #156 of 623
Looks nice.
post #157 of 623
Thread Starter 
What do you guys use for cables?

For the subwoofer cable?

RCA interconnects to amp?

etc?

BlueJeans/Monoprice?
post #158 of 623
I used Blue Jeans for my 10AWG in-wall speaker wire, but Monoprice for everything else.
post #159 of 623
I got a box of CL2 wire at Lowes, and some heavier gauge for sub wiring and most everything else at monoprice - some interconnects at partsexpress.

Lots of nice boxes showing up, woot!
post #160 of 623
I use monoprice. I have for a few years. Prices are great and the quality is even better. It was part of my job in the military building coax cables. I wasn't a pro at it, or even that great, but I know what good quality is and monoprice has it.

I'll continue to buy from them, as long as I can stand to wait on the shipping.
post #161 of 623
Thread Starter 
I just need a bunch of these for my preouts...right?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #162 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I just need a bunch of these for my preouts...right?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Yep, those will work fine. Just make sure 18 inches will be the right length to reach and organize well. Not sure how into wire management you are but I ordered really long cables because I move around quite a bit and always wanted to have long enough wires but it is a bitch to organize when you have a 30 foot wire running 4 feet (I ziptied a lot of wire circles).
post #163 of 623
Thread Starter 
Now where is that truck with my audio equipment!
post #164 of 623
Nice palm trees!

Now hook some stuff up!

Mike
post #165 of 623
Thread Starter 
Driver had a kid sick so I don't get my BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS until Monday.

Epic Fail.

Guess it happens.

Oh well, couldn't have petted, held, photographed them until Sunday at the earliest....
post #166 of 623
Boooooo I want unboxing pics!
post #167 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post
Driver had a kid sick so I don't get my BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS until Monday.

Epic Fail.

Guess it happens.

Oh well, couldn't have petted, held, photographed them until Sunday at the earliest....
I'm sorry for you.
However, your post is so funny - in a bummer empathic way.


Mike

PS - I just checked out the space behind my "false wall" is only 19.5" or so, so CHT CS-18.x subs won't fit back there...
post #168 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Boooooo I want unboxing pics!
I know, I had the camera sitting there all morning...waiting...I think it is disappointed as well with his full battery and all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I'm sorry for you.
However, your post is so funny - in a bummer empathic way.


Mike

PS - I just checked out the space behind my "false wall" is only 19.5" or so, so CHT CS-18.x subs won't fit back there...

Mike: Maybe you could build a few subs with some cylinders like yamahaSHO "Z" theater thread! Of course with large drivers. That sucks though, I thought you were eventually thinking of buying....
post #169 of 623
THT LPs are 18" wide
post #170 of 623
Thread Starter 
See Mike, you can build some big ass THT LPs. I think say 4 should fit nice.

Brad, how do those sound vs other subs you have had?
post #171 of 623
well done greg! What did you use to cover the electric panel - looked like a cabinet but I didn't see any more pics of it.

thanks

jim
post #172 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

well done greg! What did you use to cover the electric panel - looked like a cabinet but I didn't see any more pics of it.

thanks

jim


Jim,

Thanks for reading. I was originally going to cover it with one of those thin electric covers seen in hospitals/commercial buildings etc...to get low profile and paint with a flat paint...but for future resale didn't.....

My cabinet guy built one out of oak for me: same material as cabinets. I thought I had one picture of it sitting out and open on the floor but maybe not. I then painted/sanded with a color to match my screen wall..eventually I'll probably cover the whole wall and panel with OC703 or something.

The cover is 1.5 inches thick, and once I move my screen up 3 inches...only the far right side will be seen with lights on. Working okay so far.
post #173 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

See Mike, you can build some big ass THT LPs. I think say 4 should fit nice.

Brad, how do those sound vs other subs you have had?

The only other sub I've owned is a Velodyne 12-15x (12" driver, 15" passive radiator) - hardly a fair comparison lol. I haven't really got it dialed in yet, but so far so good - generates a ton of output effortlessly - still need to work on positioning and EQ, but haven't put in the effort yet, since no carpet or furniture yet.
post #174 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

The only other sub I've owned is a Velodyne 12-15x (12" driver, 15" passive radiator) - hardly a fair comparison lol. I haven't really got it dialed in yet, but so far so good - generates a ton of output effortlessly - still need to work on positioning and EQ, but haven't put in the effort yet, since no carpet or furniture yet.

It looks really interesting. Is it meant to have the driver facing the ceiling? Or is it also suggested to lay on its side?

Maybe I'll buy some blueprints and build one down the road if I could lay it below my screen! Is the driver 15/18"? I'll go read your thread on it again...

I'm going to do the same as you next week. Plug all my stuff in and start playing music/watching demos...get the stuff "broke in".

Then in a month of so when I get some window/wall treatments and carpet...get some buddies over to EQ.

Maybe by then I'll have enough money to buy a CHT CS-18.2 for the corner..and go Geddes on the other 2.

Hmm.........
post #175 of 623
The mouth on the THT can point any direction - recommended ~18" from one wall for corner loading - the best positioning as always really depends on the room, so I'll have to experiment some. I have it standing up for now just because it's easier to move around that way. I'll probably end up with it laying down firing towards the left wall, just under the shelf that supports the LCRs.

It can be built with a 15" or a 12" - mine is 15".
post #176 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

The mouth on the THT can point any direction - recommended ~18" from one wall for corner loading - the best positioning as always really depends on the room, so I'll have to experiment some. I have it standing up for now just because it's easier to move around that way. I'll probably end up with it laying down firing towards the left wall, just under the shelf that supports the LCRs.

It can be built with a 15" or a 12" - mine is 15".

Cool. It will be interesting to see what yours looks like once you get 'er all done. Saw the overhead bingmap picture or whatever of your place...looks really nice...I like how your HT will be 100 ft+ from anyone/anything but trees/fence!


Shower is almost there...just have to grout and wait for the doors and trim to get in to get the bullnose up to the door frames...



I'm pretty happy how the colors are turning out in everything....

post #177 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I'm sorry for you.
However, your post is so funny - in a bummer empathic way.


Mike

PS - I just checked out the space behind my "false wall" is only 19.5" or so, so CHT CS-18.x subs won't fit back there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Mike: Maybe you could build a few subs with some cylinders like yamahaSHO "Z" theater thread! Of course with large drivers. That sucks though, I thought you were eventually thinking of buying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

THT LPs are 18" wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

See Mike, you can build some big ass THT LPs. I think say 4 should fit nice.

Brad, how do those sound vs other subs you have had?

I actually figured that 2-4 subs on the sides could still work.
I'll take some pics for the instigators here.

Mike
post #178 of 623
Thread Starter 
My Axiom surrounds came in today....FedEx - 1, R/L Carriers - 0.

Painting stairwell today...or trying to get as high as I can without a ladder....

Grouting tile bullnose and shower....

Installing electrical panel and outlets/switches (help of electrician buddy..)

Mounting Axiom Surrounds if I get really excited...


Pictures later!
post #179 of 623
Quote:


Goals for today...because you guys care...

Damn straight we do
post #180 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

My Axiom surrounds came in today....FedEx - 1, R/L Carriers - 0.

Painting stairwell today...or trying to get as high as I can without a ladder....

Grouting tile bullnose and shower....

Installing electrical panel and outlets/switches (help of electrician buddy..)

Mounting Axiom Surrounds if I get really excited...


Pictures later!

Wow, very industrious.
Much of my family is napping and the rest are watching football.
The most I'm doing is surfing and throwing new logs on the fire.

Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++