or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++ - Page 11

post #301 of 625
Thread Starter 
The last piece of the rack is in place....the HTPC.

Has XBMC and every program I need to put my blurays onto the HD.

It is a beast. Can watch a BD from the XBMC library while I'm ripping etc.

Anyways, love this thing.

Anyone else have a HTPC with XBMC? So seamless!
post #302 of 625
yep.. switched to xbmc a few months ago from mediaportal.. xmbc rocks - no problems with dxva hardware acceleration with the radeon 3450 video card.. how do you backup your blue rays? I use anydvdhd and then makemkv or just leave them in mts format and play them that way
post #303 of 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

The last piece of the rack is in place....the HTPC.

Has XBMC and every program I need to put my blurays onto the HD.

It is a beast. Can watch a BD from the XBMC library while I'm ripping etc.

Anyways, love this thing.

Anyone else have a HTPC with XBMC? So seamless!

What are the computer specs?

On the 3 HTPC's I run, I just use Win7's MC.
post #304 of 625
Thread Starter 


The rack, needs some adjustments but pretty solid. Cable HD box smaller than I thought it would be (above power conditioner). HTPC below the Onkyo. Too wide for the 2UV shelf but sits there...the side fans are hitting...have to get a different shelf eventually.



Taping up the trim...need to paint it all. Any suggestions? Probably an off white color...to satisfy wifey...or maybe I can convince her of something else?



Seats fit about like I thought they would...overhang a bit from the bar...but the space behind the far right one is a nice spot for someone to lean on the bar and hang....

EDIT: Have to paint trim AND doors. Fun. And I didn't buy a sponge for the poly so I'll be doing that later this week as well.
post #305 of 625
looking good!
post #306 of 625
Nice!
You might need a tripod for the camera though.


Mike
post #307 of 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

yep.. switched to xbmc a few months ago from mediaportal.. xmbc rocks - no problems with dxva hardware acceleration with the radeon 3450 video card.. how do you backup your blue rays? I use anydvdhd and then makemkv or just leave them in mts format and play them that way

I back up mine using Another EAC3to GUI Plus. Since you already have AnyDVD HD and makemkv you should give it a try. Once I insert the Blu-ray, it is only 3 clicks until the movie is ripping. I like it because it is easy, I can convert any HD audio track to lossless multichannel FLAC, and it allows for subtitles to be placed within the image area. You can keep the original HD audio track instead.
post #308 of 625
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Nice!
You might need a tripod for the camera though.


Mike

Mike, yes the external flash is not doing me favors..I'll try better next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

What are the computer specs?

Let me know what else you want...but we are running a i5 intel core cpu...750@2.67 ghz, 4 gb ram, 64 bit windows 7 (use this over xp any day), 4 TB HD. 2-2 TB drives...one partitioned for windows and BDs (215 bds..all but 2 that are 720p...I'll start using the 2nd partition soon, and the xbmc pulls from both so no biggie)

On the 3 HTPC's I run, I just use Win7's MC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

yep.. switched to xbmc a few months ago from mediaportal.. xmbc rocks - no problems with dxva hardware acceleration with the radeon 3450 video card.. how do you backup your blue rays? I use anydvdhd and then makemkv or just leave them in mts format and play them that way

Well, as far as I've played with it....Use anydvd for the initial, then I have ripbot264 for getting them into format, then I just move them around...PM me for the dloading websites I'm using....

xbmc is way better than imedian or imon or others...

Anyways..how about that snow storm?
post #309 of 625
Doesn't Ripbot264 re-encode and compresses the video? Are you keeping the HD audio track? How long does it take? I prefer not to re-encode and compress my Blu-rays. It takes about 45 minutes with my 4x Blu-ray player to back them up. Those with faster drives can do it in under 20 minutes.
post #310 of 625
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Doesn't Ripbot264 re-encode and compresses the video? Are you keeping the HD audio track? How long does it take? I prefer not to re-encode and compress my Blu-rays. It takes about 45 minutes with my 4x Blu-ray player to back them up. Those with faster drives can do it in under 20 minutes.

My BD drive is a 10x LG. I think we are talking about different stuff though as well. PM.
post #311 of 625
Thread Starter 
Lots of bleeding today...

Paid 1/2 of the granite, 1/2 of the carpet, reserve for the custom bar stools, and the paint and poly stuff.

Put the first coat of miniwax semi-gloss on the bar.....not too bad...once it dries I'll either use the 0000 steel wool or fine grit sandpaper....I don't think I'll need it though..I just plan on doing 3-4 thin coats...

Bar stools should come in when the granite/carpet is getting done Feb 17-25.

I should be set for march madness...need to adjust screen as well...

These Berklines are awesome...very happy.
post #312 of 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post
The last piece of the rack is in place....the HTPC.

Has XBMC and every program I need to put my blurays onto the HD.

It is a beast. Can watch a BD from the XBMC library while I'm ripping etc.

Anyways, love this thing.

Anyone else have a HTPC with XBMC? So seamless!
First let me say you've got a nice HT coming along there.

As far as suggestions for high WAF colors, I suggest a satin finish caramel color for the walls, it has a high WAF and reflects much less light than say a semi gloss "off white" like you were considering. I had it in the last house and went with a satin finish Blue/gray color on 3 walls, light gray on the TV wall in this house to mix up the colors a little bit and open up the space since it's a small house and the living room is my "Home Theater experience" room.

I'm curious what programs/steps you're using to rip your BD's into a playable format on your HTPC and how they play back.

Currently I have AnyDVDHD and PowerDVD9 that came with my BD drive and it sucks.

I'd also be interested in seeing some screenshots of what XBMC looks like and how it navigates if you've got time.

Thanks and good luck on finishing out the room.

-IndySSD
post #313 of 625
Thread Starter 
In the next week/two as I finish the trim/bar work..I'll start honing my skills on xbmc....

Hopefully after the weekend I'll have screenshots...
post #314 of 625
Indy - Check out http://xbmc.org/ - they have a skin and screenshot section. For me, I rip the blu ray with anydvdhd and either leave it in the ropped structed and play the m2ts files directly via xbmc or I use makemkv to put a mkv container togehter.. either one plays directly in xbmc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySSD View Post
I'm curious what programs/steps you're using to rip your BD's into a playable format on your HTPC and how they play back.

Currently I have AnyDVDHD and PowerDVD9 that came with my BD drive and it sucks.

I'd also be interested in seeing some screenshots of what XBMC looks like and how it navigates if you've got time.

Thanks and good luck on finishing out the room.

-IndySSD
post #315 of 625
Thread Starter 
I think you'll find the mkv files to be easier to use....but that is just my findings so far....
post #316 of 625
Thread Starter 
Need to get a sweet stainless bar sink.

Any suggestions? I have about 10 days to get one in before fabrication.
post #317 of 625
Wow, you have a nice rack!

(I just don't get to use that phrase as often as I'd like)
post #318 of 625
Thread Starter 
Which sink design do you like best?

Round, Oval, Square, Oblong? Anyone have an idea for faucet design as well for good height to fit pitchers, etc under?
post #319 of 625
HuskerOmaha-
A bit off-topic, but I love the dog....we've got a GSD who's gonna turn two in March. They're a handful when they're young, but awesome dogs.

The basement looks awesome too! It's going to be a nice space when you're finished.
post #320 of 625
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCheese View Post

HuskerOmaha-
A bit off-topic, but I love the dog....we've got a GSD who's gonna turn two in March. They're a handful when they're young, but awesome dogs.

The basement looks awesome too! It's going to be a nice space when you're finished.

Yeah, Kaiser, our GSD is one handsome pup. He is a little over 3 and starting to settle down a bit (finally got him fixed a month ago)...

He is always on your heel, never wants to leave your side, always wants to go for a ride but anxious once he is in a car.

Anxiety levels on these dogs are high! He is fun though, and great with our son.

I'll have more pictures of him romping in the theater down the road..right now I just try keeping him out of paint and polyurethane!
post #321 of 625
Thread Starter 
Bar is getting close to being done....pictures soon.

Watched Percy and the Lighting Thief....solid LFE in that one.
post #322 of 625
Thread Starter 
Best way to paint doors? I'm using a foam brush for the trim and it is working well...but I'm thinking I'm either going to have to get a special roller or spray the doors?

Thoughts?
post #323 of 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Best way to paint doors? I'm using a foam brush for the trim and it is working well...but I'm thinking I'm either going to have to get a special roller or spray the doors?

Thoughts?

Best way?
Hire someone!

Sorry.
I actually have done some painting myself in various homes, but dont' have an opinion.

Back to house prep for the game...

Mike
post #324 of 625
I just used about a 2" brush - spraying would be the best if you don't want brush marks, but personally I don't mind them as long as they're uniform - adds a little old world charm. ;-)
post #325 of 625
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I just used about a 2" brush - spraying would be the best if you don't want brush marks, but personally I don't mind them as long as they're uniform - adds a little old world charm. ;-)

Yeah. Doors suck. I tried to use a nylon, foam brushes, looks like junk.


I'm calling some paint guys to see what they would charge to come over with their spray equipment to do it this week. If the price isn't too bad I'm game. I'm only asking for labor and their equipment. Already primed.

Another problem...my HTPC video looks like 720p, but the cable feed looks bad unless they pan in on the players....turned the receiver to pass thru with no improvement. Huh.....

EDIT: I also put the screen on the frame for the game. It was awesome when one of the snaps for the screen material was bent, and then the screw/snap wouldn't come out and I burned out phillips screw with the snap. Great. The screen looks flat up but I'll have to figure that out later.
post #326 of 625
Thread Starter 
Update for those who are following still -

The guy I had do the spray-on lacquering of the cabinets is coming over later this week to do my three doors and show me how to properly do casings and trim with filler/sanding/etc...

Charging me $60/door.

Totally worth the lack of pain and anguish over imperfect doors for me and the wife.

Pictures later.
post #327 of 625
Hey Greg

I just purchased a onkyo receiver looks like yours. I have not really messed with it yet but was wondering if there was a setting to pass audio through the HDMI cables through the receiver to my HDMI splitter.
post #328 of 625
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Hey Greg

I just purchased a onkyo receiver looks like yours. I have not really messed with it yet but was wondering if there was a setting to pass audio through the HDMI cables through the receiver to my HDMI splitter.

Scott,


Answered on your thread for now...

Guys-

I'm working on getting some 703 locally, but if I can't get it..best place online for a large shipment?

I thought I could use some now and save it sell it to others, etc.

I'm thinking of covering my screen wall, and putting a 45 degree angle trap along the front of my first soffit from the screen wall. covering this all with a dark fabric of course TBD.

Along with velvet curtains over window and one on the opposite wall those are my plans for now...

Anybody?
post #329 of 625
ATS Acoustics' prices seemed not too bad when I checked before - not sure how much the shipping would be though. Bryan Pape I believe also will sell and ship, can PM him for prices.
post #330 of 625
Great job so far! can't wait to see it completed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++