or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › XDA-1 vs. DAC Magic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XDA-1 vs. DAC Magic

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
researching different DAC's and read the higher the S/N ratio the better. The Emotiva XDA-1 is $299 with a S/N at 105db.. The DAC Magic has a S/N of 112db @ $429.. is the extra 7db worth the $129 more? thanks in advance.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
researching different DAC's and read the higher the S/N ratio the better. The Emotiva XDA-1 is $299 with a S/N at 105db.. The DAC Magic has a S/N of 112db @ $429.. is the extra 7db worth the $129 more? thanks in advance.
Here is a link to a thread from over at the Emotiva Lounge on the two DACs you are interested in. You could also read more about the XDA-1 in the Preamps/DACS forum at the Lounge. Just beware as sometimes there is a bit of bias over there at the Lounge.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...y&thread=15245

To be honest I would go with the DAC Magic as it appears there are some issues with the XDA-1.

Bill
post #3 of 7
If you use the Emotiva DAC with a preamp, or receiver you should be just fine. There seems to be issues with the volume control if used directly into an amp.

The Emotiva forums definitely have a bias over there. Okay, not all, but some are just really annoying with the constant praise and defending. Especially over the UMC disaster. I own a good share of Emotiva gear myself including the UMC. Still I don't think everything they do is gold. Reminds me a lot of how AV666 used to be.
Again, IMO, it's only a handful who are like that. Most of the members are cool and informative.
SHeesh, sorry for the rant.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Here is a link to a thread from over at the Emotiva Lounge on the two DACs you are interested in. You could also read more about the XDA-1 in the Preamps/DACS forum at the Lounge. Just beware as sometimes there is a bit of bias over there at the Lounge.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...y&thread=15245

To be honest I would go with the DAC Magic as it appears there are some issues with the XDA-1.

Bill
Interesting. I just traded my Decco2, as DAC/Pre...for an EE Minimax Tube DAC/Pre, in the same config. When I came across the Emotiva piece, I decided...for $299...I'd get on the waitlist and give it a try; at that price, I didn't expect much...but what the hell.

I was late to the party, and as such I was told by Emotiva I was in the 2nd wave, and those units would not ship until "1st quarter" 2011. "1st quarter"...that could be March!

In any case, I know someone online who got one...and I asked him about it. He told me the volume control was weird; out of .5 increments, from 0.0 to 80.0...that he could only get to like 1.5 or 2.0 before it was too loud. I thought for sure he must be doing something wrong (although I had no idea what), or have a defective unit...but I assume this is the issue you guys are talking about?

Hmm, interesting. Like I said, I wasn't expecting much; not expecting to beat out this DAC, for example. Next on my "intrigued" list: North Star DAC 192, and especially W4S DAC-2.

CD
post #5 of 7
[quote=CDLehner;19666940]
Quote:
Interesting. I just traded my Decco2, as DAC/Pre...for an EE Minimax Tube DAC/Pre, in the same config.
I would be interested on your thoughts on the Minimax when you get it.

Quote:
In any case, I know someone online who got one...and I asked him about it. He told me the volume control was weird; out of .5 increments, from 0.0 to 80.0...that he could only get to like 1.5 or 2.0 before it was too loud. I thought for sure he must be doing something wrong (although I had no idea what), or have a defective unit...but I assume this is the issue you guys are talking about?
Here is a link to a thread from over at the Lounge describing the XDA-1's volume control issue in detail. It appears that Emotiva has the issue worked out and will update current units (have to be sent back to Emotiva).

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...d=15184&page=3

Bill
post #6 of 7
I'm interested in Decco2. Why did you get rid I'd it?
post #7 of 7
SNR matters if all your component in the chain has better SNR, specially your amplifier.

I personally wouldn't recommend buying a DAC unless you are doing computer audio.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 2 Channel Audio
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › XDA-1 vs. DAC Magic