or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coax cable but no input on my Tv, what to do ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Coax cable but no input on my Tv, what to do ?

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Ok, I know there must be a simple solution for this but I have looked through the forum and can't find any answers. I am just trying to hook up my dish network coax cable to my Tv directly, there is not a receiver because it uses the receiver from another tv. There is not a coax input on my tv, I need to convert it somehow to either rca, component, s video or hdmi.
post #2 of 34
Use a VCR if you have one laying around. YOu can, at least, get RF in and composite video out.

What's the make/model of the TV?
You should also be more explicit about your setup. Maybe it's just me... but I'm a tad confused.
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
............. Maybe it's just me... but I'm a tad confused.
No, it's not just you
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by olelucky View Post

Ok, I know there must be a simple solution for this but I have looked through the forum and can't find any answers. I am just trying to hook up my dish network coax cable to my Tv directly, there is not a receiver because it uses the receiver from another tv. There is not a coax input on my tv, I need to convert it somehow to either rca, component, s video or hdmi.

If you have Dish Network, you have a box. The box will have a variety of outputs. The best solution if the TV is an HDTV is to use a Dish HD box and connect it with either HDMI or component video. If the box and/or TV are not HD, use composite video or s-video.
post #5 of 34
Olelucky,
Do you have a TV or do you just have a display which only accepts video inputs and which has no internal tuner which can be used to process TV signals
post #6 of 34
One would assume that the "display" is a "monitor" and since there is no RF (coax) input, it does not have an internal tuner.
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by olelucky View Post

Ok, I know there must be a simple solution for this but I have looked through the forum and can't find any answers. I am just trying to hook up my dish network coax cable to my Tv directly, there is not a receiver because it uses the receiver from another tv. There is not a coax input on my tv, I need to convert it somehow to either rca, component, s video or hdmi.

Connect the coax (ch 3/4) output from the dish network receiver to a VCR. If you don't have a VCR, they're usually a dime a dozen at any yard sale or thrift store.
Tune the VCR to channel 3 (or 4).
Connect the VCR to the monitor, using RCA audio/video cables.
Select the correct input on the monitor's input menu.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by olelucky View Post

Ok, I know there must be a simple solution for this but I have looked through the forum and can't find any answers. I am just trying to hook up my dish network coax cable to my Tv directly, there is not a receiver because it uses the receiver from another tv. There is not a coax input on my tv, I need to convert it somehow to either rca, component, s video or hdmi.

If there isn't a coax input on your "TV" then you don't have a TV you have a monitor.
post #9 of 34
If you don't have a VCR than you need to buy a RF Modulator. It will be cheaper than buying a new VCR, since you can't buy a new stand alone VCR. You can get VCR/DVD combos, but some of those don't have coaxial connections
post #10 of 34
No, he needs a demodulator. The device that you linked "Accepts audio/video composite input and modulates the signal to a CATV/UHF channel".

Examples:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CB8Q8wIwAA#
http://cgi.ebay.com/Coax-RF-CATV-RCA...item3a5c41b4e9

EDIT:
Walmart has a low cost VCR.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Emerson-4-...EWV404/2598448
post #11 of 34
I don't think that VCR is available anymore at Walmart. Try a garage sale. VCR doesn't even have to be able to play tapes. All you need is the tuner.
post #12 of 34
Ok, let me start off by saying that I am not the most technologically advanced person. Yesterday, I switched from Comcast to DISH Network. I have an older model 27" Emerson Video/DVD combo TV. It does not have a coaxial input. Before making the switch to DISH, in order to watch Comcast, I had to use the red, yellow, and white outlets (don't know what you call them) located on the front of the tv. I had to keep the tv on the AUX channel. Well, the DISH technician told me I needed to either buy a new tv (not an option right now), or buy a rf modulator that converts coaxial to RCA. I told him I already had one, and he told me that the rf modulator I had only utilizes channel 3 and 4. He stated I couldn't pick up the DISH Network signal using those two channels. He said my satellite was set up to channels 60 and 62; therefore, I needed to get some multi channel rf modulator. I went to Radio Shack, and they have never heard of such a modulator. I am confused, upset, and I want my t.v. hooked up. Does anyone have some advice to give to a young lady, who is a bit 'challenged' when it comes to technology?
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySweets73 View Post

Ok, let me start off by saying that I am not the most technologically advanced person. Yesterday, I switched from Comcast to DISH Network. I have an older model 27" Emerson Video/DVD combo TV. It does not have a coaxial input. Before making the switch to DISH, in order to watch Comcast, I had to use the red, yellow, and white outlets (don't know what you call them) located on the front of the tv. I had to keep the tv on the AUX channel. Well, the DISH technician told me I needed to either buy a new tv (not an option right now), or buy a rf modulator that converts coaxial to RCA. I told him I already had one, and he told me that the rf modulator I had only utilizes channel 3 and 4. He stated I couldn't pick up the DISH Network signal using those two channels. He said my satellite was set up to channels 60 and 62; therefore, I needed to get some multi channel rf modulator. I went to Radio Shack, and they have never heard of such a modulator. I am confused, upset, and I want my t.v. hooked up. Does anyone have some advice to give to a young lady, who is a bit 'challenged' when it comes to technology?


See your other thread.
ALL Dish receivers have A/V outputs (Yellow video, red/white analog audio).
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySweets73 View Post

I have an older model 27" Emerson Video/DVD combo TV. It does not have a coaxial input.

Then technically you do not have a TV. For somethig to be labeled as a TV it MUST have a built in NTSC/ATSC tuner and if it has a tuner then it must have a RF connector.
post #15 of 34
Any new ideas for this problem? I have a coaxial cable just sitting in my bedroom and moved my olevia lcd monitor into that room figuring I could just wire it up directly for basic cable. Didn't really look at the back of the tv before making these big plans. With all the electronic gadgets out there, nobody makes something cheap to turn coaxial into HDMI or some other plug? HD not a deal breaker. Just want basic cable for the preggo wife so she has something to occupy herself with. If it was up to me, I would use my WDTV player/blu-ray/netflix to watch movies but she's not as much of a movie buff. She likes her trash tv.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurgen View Post

Any new ideas for this problem? I have a coaxial cable just sitting in my bedroom and moved my olevia lcd monitor into that room figuring I could just wire it up directly for basic cable. Didn't really look at the back of the tv before making these big plans. With all the electronic gadgets out there, nobody makes something cheap to turn coaxial into HDMI or some other plug?

Even if such a device existed you still couldn't get in TV programming since your monitor wouldn't have a tuner in it. The difference between a monitor and a TV is that TV have tuners in them and monitors don't. The programming doesn't get to your monitor by magic. If it's analog is a NTSC signal if it's digital it's a QAM signal. Your monitor would need the appropriate tuner to take those signals and turn them into something your monitor can display as a picture.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Even if such a device existed you still couldn't get in TV programming since your monitor wouldn't have a tuner in it. The difference between a monitor and a TV is that TV have tuners in them and monitors don't. The programming doesn't get to your monitor by magic. If it's analog is a NTSC signal if it's digital it's a QAM signal. Your monitor would need the appropriate tuner to take those signals and turn them into something your monitor can display as a picture.

Sounds good. Thanks for the assist. I think I'll just bring the seldom used cable box from downstairs up to this tv for the duration of the preggo. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Or I could just buck up for another monthly box from my provider.
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Use a VCR if you have one laying around. YOu can, at least, get RF in and composite video out.

What's the make/model of the TV?
You should also be more explicit about your setup. Maybe it's just me... but I'm a tad confused.


I'm using a monitor also for PC/TV I have the Asus 1080p 24" hooked up to my LG RC897T. The cable box is hooked up to the RC897T via composite, and then upscales it to 1080p using the HDMI output from the RC897T. I also have the IR blaster hooked up to the RC just in case I forget to tune to the channel I want to record to DVD. I just basically use it record Cheers and 3rd Rock on the REELZ CH. Since it's not broadcast in HD and it's also 5c'd via firewire it's a cheap option for me to get very decent recordings to DVD-RW.
If your monitor only has VGA/DVI you can get it to work with a HDMI to DVI cable. I got this unit for my birthday 2 years ago and it's a decent recorder, but not recomended unless you get one super cheap.
post #19 of 34
This is similar to a problem I am having. I have a panasonic TC26LX50 Tv currently connected to a Dish box. I'd like a bigger TV and to move the current Tv into another room, but I don't want to pay to rent or buy a second box. For this other room, I don't care about HD, just programming (which is the setup i have already on a REALLY old tiny tv in that room already). The Panasonic has an input labelled "antenna" but i can't get a coax cable to fit in it...it may be the case that something has broken off, because i assume it is supposed to accept a regular RG6 cable. At any rate it appears that it won't just accept the coax cable, but since it has the antenna option, I assume it must have a tuner. I just want a way to watch this tv, and I'd like to buy the right thing on the first try (and ideally not worry about finding a cheap VCR or paying too much for one). Thanks!
post #20 of 34
Since your TV is about 6 years old it probably does not have a digital tuner, only an analog tuner.
I got a used VCR at my goodwill store for very little money.
post #21 of 34
To get Dish programming, you need a Dish tuner. If you don't mind watching the same channel on both TV's simultaneously, then the VCR option may work.
post #22 of 34
I am new to this. how soon can you see these posts? We have a Toshiba custom series hd tv that only has a hdmi and we only have coaxial connection. We bought a rf modulator to try and connect it. We also have a digital tv converter box. Please help.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venita Mason View Post

I am new to this. how soon can you see these posts? We have a Toshiba custom series hd tv that only has a hdmi and we only have coaxial connection. We bought a rf modulator to try and connect it. We also have a digital tv converter box. Please help.

What exactly are you trying to do ?

Do your have cable ?

Do you have Dish / DirectTV ?

If you have Dish, Hopefully you got a Hopper with a Joey for the other monitor.

an RF modulator won't do you any good - that would go on the source of the signal. What you would need is a TUNER - i.e. an old VCR

We really need to know what source of programming you're using so we can give an answer that makes sence. Obviously - the VCR won't work if your display doesn't have the yellow video / red/white audio connections.
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venita Mason View Post

I am new to this. how soon can you see these posts? We have a Toshiba custom series hd tv that only has a hdmi and we only have coaxial connection. We bought a rf modulator to try and connect it. We also have a digital tv converter box. Please help.

If there is no coax input, then you don't have a television set, you have a display monitor. Display monitors require external boxes (satellite, cable, etc) that will provide the input signals via, in your case, HDMI.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venita Mason View Post

We have a Toshiba custom series hd tv that only has a hdmi and we only have coaxial connection.
Welcome to the forum Venita.

What is the model number of the Toshiba?
Are you trying to receive over-the-air signals with an antenna or cable signals?
post #26 of 34
Also, what is the model number of the DEVICE(s) you're trying to connect to Toshiba HDTV????
And the zipcode for your location...
post #27 of 34
Hey Guys, I Have An ILO 32-HD TV Monitor. We Have Cable. 2 Cable Boxes, One In The Living Room & One In The Bed Room. I Hung The ILO On The Wall In The Kitchen & Moved The Cable Outlet From The Lower Wall To Up Behind The TV So I Didn't Have A Long Cable Hangin There. As You May Have Already Guessed, I Have An "Antenna Input"[RCA][I'm Guessing Analog Tuner, Not Digital], "HDMI", DVI, Composite Inputs, VGA, S-Video....No Damn Coax Input. Just Re-Capped The Power Supply Board & Got It Fixed Too. My Question Is, Is There A Way To Utilize The Cable Boxes I Already Have Or Maybe Install A Tuner From An ILO TV That Did Come With A Digital Tuner, I've Heard Some Talk On The Internet That Someone Has Tried This And It Worked, But Of Course I Have No Idea What Website I Was On. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Wife Already Said No More Boxes So That Idea Is Out. Thanx In Advance, Take Care.
post #28 of 34
If you have cable, you may as well plan on a box, or no TV at all in the kitchen, unless you put another TV (i.e. WITH a tuner / coax connection) - then you would still need to have a modulator from another TV's cable box to drive the kitchen TV.

Your other solution would be to run the appropriate cable (not just 1 coax, but at least 3 (one for composite video, 2 for audio - component would be 5 cables and HDMI is something else) to again , share a cable box from another room.
post #29 of 34
I don't know if anyone actually answered your question but I'm having the same problem and this is what I found out. I have a newer tv, but my coaxle connection broke and the RCA connections cannot be used to hook up an antenna/cable/sattelite. What you need is the opposite of the RF modulator. Its a demodulator. They're not cheap, but cheaper than buying a new tv.
post #30 of 34
Hi! If anyone could help I would really appreciate it! I have a panasonic plasma (probably 10yrs old) TV and am trying to connect mohu leaf antenna (only coax connection) but there is no coax connection on my 'tv'. It does have a tuner connection, looks like VGA , what is that? I also have a Sony DVD/CD/surround sound system that I use as my speakers. This Sony device has an 'antenna' input but I think that's just for am/fm radio? It all worked well when I used time Warner cable box but trying to cut the cable cord and use the antenna. Any suggestions? I plan to eventually connect Apple TV through hdmi-component cord. Will that work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coax cable but no input on my Tv, what to do ?