AVS Forum banner

Roadster's Theater

38K views 204 replies 46 participants last post by  prerunnerv6 
#1 ·
Welcome to my dedicated theater room, with 6.1 surround and a 63" 1080P plasma. I designed and built everything myself, 100% working man's little corner of heaven. Used primarly for music (75/25%) Thanks for looking, Comments certainly welcomed. *System/decor updates from page 2 onwards*

Gear and accessories as follows: Marantz AV7005 pre-pro, 2 x Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks for mains, Rotel RMB-1095 5 channel amp for center and surrounds, Swan F2.2+ mains, Swan 2.3C+ center, Swan R3 surrounds and C3 rear surround , SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 sub, Sony 560 Blu-Ray player, Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD, Buttkicker 300, Professionaly calibrated Samsung 63B550 63" plasma, Lovan rack, Harmony One, decent DH Labs/Better Cables and Swans interconnects, 4 dedicated circuits with quality outlets (sorry, no snake oil $1,000 AC cables). 3 zone RF lighting control.

The Emotiva monoblocks each drive one main.

Sony XA5400ES resting on an isolation base.

Basic door was given an old art deco style theater design. Columns with dimmable sconces were installed on both sides.

Backstage, behind the front wall curtains, I left room to route my connections. Cables have been channeled since this picture was taken. I installed three dedicated 15A outlets for the various components + another dedicated outlet for lighting. At the end of the wall, the SVS serial killer.

My original C3 front center speaker now serves as rear center surround.

X10 three zone lighting control. The front zone sconce/curtain lights are dimmable, the second zone controls the LED tube on the riser and the theater sign. The third zone controls the rear poster and staircase lights.

A special thanks goes out to Chris from Cleveland Plasma. Great service from a true professional.

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy wow. Those speakers are incredible looking.

#7 ·
Those speakers are stunning looking. I am sure it looks and sounds great. Well done

#8 ·
Wow beautiful HT...thanks for sharing.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillMan17 /forum/post/19670838

I second that notion . . . You spend close to $50k on speakers alone and no projection?

I made the choice to have only one TV in the house, so the practicality offered by a direct TV influenced my choice.

I also invested many hours making in store, side-by-side comparaison between this TV and several $3,000.-$8,000 projectors (set at 78-92'' screen sizes). None matched my plasma for overall picture quality, when evaluating all aspects. So it's all good.

#10 ·
Like everyone said "very impressive speakers", it must sound outstanding. Good job. Enjoy.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s /forum/post/19672881

I made the choice to have only one TV in the house, so the practicality offered by a direct TV influenced my choice.

I also invested many hours making in store, side-by-side comparaison between this TV and several $3,000.-$8,000 projectors (set at 78-92'' screen sizes). None matched my plasma for overall picture quality, when evaluating all aspects. So it's all good.

I love plasma tv's as well.

#15 ·
Good gravy are those speakers gorgeous. I'm jealous, nice job. I can't imagine how accurate and transparent SA-CD must sound! Oh yeah, movies too lol.

Definitely thanks for sharing!

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/19688693

Good gravy are those speakers gorgeous. I'm jealous, nice job. I can't imagine how accurate and transparent SA-CD must sound! Oh yeah, movies too lol.

Definitely thanks for sharing!

Indeed, very accurate with SACD's, not missing my vinyl's at all...

#19 ·
I just noticed the theater sign and I swear it read: "The Pregnant Theater" lol.

#20 ·
First off Awesome room with some Killer gear!

What are your room dimensions?

I second the projector..... although if your hooked on the pop of the plasma, you'll never be pleased with projector.
  1. How far is the first row of seating from the screen?
  2. Looks like the first row is pretty close to the middle of the room any issues with nodes?
  3. Do you have any acoustic measurements?

I have a similar sized room and I'm contemplating two rows with riser or a single row of 4 slightly off center in a curved configuration. I'm concerned with the center of the room being bad acoustically due to cancellation.....

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi
First off Awesome room with some Killer gear!

What are your room dimensions?

I second the projector..... although if your hooked on the pop of the plasma, you'll never be pleased with projector.
  1. How far is the first row of seating from the screen?
  2. Looks like the first row is pretty close to the middle of the room any issues with nodes?
  3. Do you have any acoustic measurements?

I have a similar sized room and I'm contemplating two rows with riser or a single row of 4 slightly off center in a curved configuration. I'm concerned with the center of the room being bad acoustically due to cancellation.....
Thanks. The fact that it's a properly calibrated plasma, does in fact make it hard for me not to criticize a projector picture when I see one. I seem to be always concentrating on it's flaws...

- Room is 22' x 14' in main front section (17' wide in entrance area).

- 1st row head position is 10 feet from front of screen

- 1st row head position is 12' from front wall, or 1' off center of room length

- Front row center chair is 8' from right wall, or 1' off center from room width

Placement of 1st row was therefore dictated after axial standing wave measurements of the room, keeping away from min/max nodes. I've certainly invested over 50 hours in all, fine-tuning main speakers position and toe, as well as sub placement. Audyssey's MultiEQ XT compensated for the rest.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Any chance you have a shot over the back chairs to give me more of an idea about the spacing layout?

Woah really, 50K worth of speakers.........
No, the complete 6.1 speaker system didn't cost ''that much''
Here is shot over the back chairs. I like to have my room size as the limiting factor, that way, I never run out of ''juice''

On this one, you can see the 1' nook on the right wall that I made to keep the front row center chair position off-center.

#25 ·
Everything about this room and in this room looks incredible! Great Job!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.