or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Challenge: New System, ~$800, Has to come from amazon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Challenge: New System, ~$800, Has to come from amazon

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hey. Just got a gift certificate that has to be used on amazon that i want to use to buy a new home theater system. I am starting from scratch. My room currently (though i dont own the house so will probably change in near future) is about 18 feet by 35 feet. With the tv and couch against opposite 35 feet walls.
I currently only have a HD cable box and blue ray player, but will add as i go. I have been reading through these forums and i see that the best route is to buy separate speakers and receivers. I think this route will let me add as the room gets bigger.
Ultimatly i would like to be able to install everything without ripping up carpet or going into dry wall (dont own house).
I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for a good receiver and speaker system within this budget and on amazon.

Cant post amazon links cause brand new member but what about:
Onkyo HT-RC260 with Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System
or
Pioneer VSX-1020-K 7.1 with Klipsch HD 300 Compact 5.1

I realize speaker selection is maybe more a personal preference and i should listen to them first, but it seems like the receiver would be more cut and dry.

Any and all suggestion greatly appreciated. We are working with around 800 give or take a some and has to be bought on amazon .
post #2 of 25
The speakers are not big enough for your room.
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
What speakers would you recommend?
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebm12 View Post

What speakers would you recommend?

Go back to Amazon and look at the KEF, Jamo, and Polk tower
speakers. See what you can get with your money.
Do a pair of towers and a sub, or a pair of towers and a center.
Or Towers, center and sub - if you can squeeze it, or add more
money.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Go back to Amazon and look at the KEF, Jamo, and Polk tower
speakers. See what you can get with your money.
Do a pair of towers and a sub, or a pair of towers and a center.
Or Towers, center and sub - if you can squeeze it, or add more
money.

Just to make clear what I think I read into the OP's post. He is looking for:
Receiver
Sub
5 speakers
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Yea thats correct. And i think i estimated my room size wrong. Its actually 13x20. I was way off in my "sit my A$$ in recliner" estimate
I think towers would be way too much for my wife to handle setup wise.
I imagine the room will be larger in the future.
post #7 of 25
I found this Onkyo system at Amazon for less than your budget:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001AMUFSE

Reviewers really liked it.

or this one, you'll have one cent left over...

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S9300...2802861&sr=1-6
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 View Post

I found this Onkyo system at Amazon for less than your budget:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001AMUFSE

Reviewers really liked it.



^---- That seems like a good option.
Otherwise read this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294274
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I will keep searching. Appreciate the suggestions. I think i am goin to have to find something with smaller speakers. (that was part of the deal with the wife). Appreciate yalls time!
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
These look like they might be moremanagable. Not sure how the quality of the package is though. Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package
post #11 of 25
You don't want the 3300, it has a passive sub.

if you must have small speakers just get the Denon 591BA.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DHT-591B...2803873&sr=1-1
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
I just saw that one. Wasnt sure how good Boston Acoustic speakers were. I am adding this to the list. Obviously they must be ok!
post #13 of 25
another option would be the def tech pro cinema 60 and add your receiver of choice for $400.

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...2804235&sr=1-2
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
been very helpful. thanks
receivers:
Onkyo HT-RC260
Denon AVR-591
??

what should i look before besides "no passive sub"?
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebm12 View Post

been very helpful. thanks
receivers:
Onkyo HT-RC260
Denon AVR-591
??

what should i look before besides "no passive sub"?

You want a powered subwoofer.
post #16 of 25
If you can come with an extra $100 - then the Onkyo RC260 and this:
http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-ML...2805590&sr=8-1
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/mlt2

The Onkyo speakers, lack good resolution. In this case
I prefer Martin over Boston - however, Boston is decent.
Also, Definitive is decent.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 View Post

Just to make clear what I think I read into the OP's post. He is looking for:
Receiver
Sub
5 speakers

I was trying to get him started with something - or spend more
of his money - or I can't read.

"I currently only have a HD cable box and blue ray player, but will add as i go. I have been reading through these forums and i see that the best route is to buy separate speakers and receivers. I think this route will let me add as the room gets bigger."
post #18 of 25
There is also a thread floating around for best receiver/sub/speakers for less than $700, you might check there for good recommendations as well.
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebm12 View Post

Thanks. I will keep searching. Appreciate the suggestions. I think i am goin to have to find something with smaller speakers. (that was part of the deal with the wife). Appreciate yalls time!

What's the biggest (dimensions) you can get away with?

Would you be willing to start with just 3.1 or 2.1 until you can save up more money for surrounds?
post #20 of 25
yeah is a bigger room, you need bigger speakers. I'm in a very simmilar boat excet I don't care how big or ugly the speakers are.

my suggestion would be

onkyo sr608
2-Polk Monitor40's Front L and R
matching center (cant remember number)
and maybe a BIC F12 sub

that should be just over $800 would be decent "bones" you can do as I did, reuse old speakers for the surrounds for now. when you can upgrade later (and you mentioned larger room) you can the the matching Monitor70's as the fronts, you center will still match, and move the monitor40's to surround, that would give you a decent system IMO.

but, the speakers are not small by my standards.

also, you don't realize it yet, but if you get a larger room you will want more than 1 sub, that onkyo reciever is a 7.2 so you could upgrade to 2 subs eventually.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You don't want the 3300, it has a passive sub.

if you must have small speakers just get the Denon 591BA.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DHT-591B...2803873&sr=1-1

That's a pretty decent deal really. I'd go with this over the Onkyo since you're getting BA speakers/sub.
post #22 of 25
Don't be afraid to start small (but quality) and build over time. A nice 2.1 setup to begin with, then adding the center (3.1), then surrounds...by buying better speakers from the get-go, even if it's not a full surround setup, presents a better value to you over time than buying a HTIB that requires replacing every component when you have the funds to put more into it.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
My room currently (though i dont own the house so will probably change in near future) is about 18 feet by 35 feet. With the tv and couch against opposite 35 feet walls.
I know you revised this to 13x20 but if it's still true that the TV and couch are opposite on the furthest walls (20 feet away) that's really non-ideal for ANY surround sound setup. You will be very far from the front soundstage, plus you will lose the "immersion" being so far from the TV.

any way to rearrange the furniture to get the couch closer to the TV? It would be a much better HT experience. The "couch against the back wall" is one of the worst possible configurations, especially when it's THAT far away from the other wall!
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinehart View Post
yeah is a bigger room, you need bigger speakers. I'm in a very simmilar boat excet I don't care how big or ugly the speakers are.

my suggestion would be

onkyo sr608
2-Polk Monitor40's Front L and R
matching center (cant remember number)
and maybe a BIC F12 sub

that should be just over $800 would be decent "bones" you can do as I did, reuse old speakers for the surrounds for now. when you can upgrade later (and you mentioned larger room) you can the the matching Monitor70's as the fronts, you center will still match, and move the monitor40's to surround, that would give you a decent system IMO.

but, the speakers are not small by my standards.

also, you don't realize it yet, but if you get a larger room you will want more than 1 sub, that onkyo reciever is a 7.2 so you could upgrade to 2 subs eventually.
I would go down this route, except I would get the Onkyo HT-RC260, as it's esentially the same as the TH-SR608 (minus a couple of connections), except is $80 less. Then I would also get a Polk CS10 center and pair of Polk Monitor 30s for the rears. So you have:

Onkyo HT-RC260 - $299
Polk Monitor 40s - $190
Polk Minotor 30s - $100
Polk CS10 - $80
BIC F12 - $200

~ $870

That would also fit pretty well with the 1:2 receiver to speaker price ratio. On the other hand the Martin Logans could offer a better sound quality, I'm not familiar with them though.
post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
I ended up buying the denon system. Will give it a try. I figured i can always upgrade the speakers down the road. The price and good recommendations made it hard to turn down. Was able to throw in some speaker stands, a harmony one remote, cables and wires and only exceed my budget by 74 bucks. Arrives in 2 days!
Thanks for all the help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Challenge: New System, ~$800, Has to come from amazon