or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › Discussion - Screens for 3D Projection
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Discussion - Screens for 3D Projection - Page 9

post #241 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

It should be awesome.

I hope so - in the main articles I was puzzled by the "...this does not apply to DLP".... and asked myself - so - is that good or bad?? :-)
post #242 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm94 View Post

I am about to purchase a 140" Stewart Reflections Screen with microperf. I will be using the new JVC DLA-RS55U. This screen has the following specs listed below.

Acoustically transparent screens have much lower real-world gain than the advertised gain... many are advertised in the 1.0-1.16 gain range when the REAL gain measured with a meter is more like 0.7 yo 0.8. You didn't list specs for that particular screen... you listed specs for the projector. I don't see a "Reflections" screen listed on the Stewart website so I can't comment on that material specifically.

The other issue is... if the RS55's output lumens with a calibrated image is no higher than last year, a screen larger than 10 feet wide isn't going to be very bright for 2D and even dimmer for 3D. ESPECIALLY if the screen in question is perforated and has a real gain below 1.0. It seems all perforated or other acoustically transparent screens have factory gain specs that relate to each other, but they DO NOT relate to the gain specs for non-perf/non-acoustically transparent screens.

If you are stuck on this projector and that large screen size, you need more gain in the screen and that probably means forgetting a perforated or other type of acoustically transparent screen. Seymour-Screen Excellence makes a fabric (non perforated) acoustically transparent screen but the REAL gain is in the 0.75 range so even though there aren't holes in the screen leading to lost light, the fabric itself isn't as reflective as most solid-screen materials.
post #243 of 288
I understand the desire for AT screens, but in real life I never feel like the sound isn't coming from the screen. I don't know if it is our brains or the processing power of modern ht receivers, but it is fine. I personally can't imagine for a second giving up both screen quality and sound quality for an AT screen.
post #244 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

I hope so - in the main articles I was puzzled by the "...this does not apply to DLP".... and asked myself - so - is that good or bad?? :-)

Since DLP projectors do not project polarized light then if makes no difference if the screen retains polarization or not. Like many things is life this has pro and cons. The most significant con is you can not get an effective boost in gain by using a screen that retains polarization in combination with 3D active shutter glasses that have the same polarization as the projector. The pros include that the orientation of the polarizer element in the glasses makes no difference so any active shutter glasses that sync properly with the projector will work. Another pro is don't need to be concerned about whether a screen retains polarization or not (and most screen manufacturer's don't publish this characteristic so it can be hard to find out how a specific screen will handle polarized light).
post #245 of 288
What are currently the cheapest screens available (please provide a link) for a screen that will do passive 3D?
post #246 of 288
Don't go too cheap. If you want to save money just get material from a good screen and make your own frame.
http://www.harkness-screens.com/digi...ectral240.html
I paid like 360 for material from harkness (a very highly rated material).
The cheapest possible would be some silvery material at JoAnn's and some painted method.
post #247 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Since DLP projectors do not project polarized light then if makes no difference if the screen retains polarization or not. Like many things is life this has pro and cons. The most significant con is you can not get an effective boost in gain by using a screen that retains polarization in combination with 3D active shutter glasses that have the same polarization as the projector. The pros include that the orientation of the polarizer element in the glasses makes no difference so any active shutter glasses that sync properly with the projector will work. Another pro is don't need to be concerned about whether a screen retains polarization or not (and most screen manufacturer's don't publish this characteristic so it can be hard to find out how a specific screen will handle polarized light).

If you are going to do a passive setup, will placing linear or circular polarizers over the lens of the DLP work? I know you also need a screen, but is a dual DLP setup straightforward?
post #248 of 288
Yes, DLP is non-polarized so there is no extra consideration in using polarizers.
post #249 of 288
post #250 of 288
It is more than I paid (years ago) for my Harkness spectral 240. It is almost half the gain too. I guess if you have really bright projectors it would be a good choice. I can't imagine not wanting more gain though.
post #251 of 288
Hi guys,

I went through this thread but I m still not sure what the best screen for me is to pick.

At this moment I m running my Sony VW95 on a basic 1.0 gain screen (from Kingpin, not familiar here probably, but it s a Dutch brand for screens with a low price and good performance). I like the 2D but dislike the 3D on it because it s a little dark. What screen would give me the best brightness in 3D without doing too much concessions for 2D performance?

Last but not least and most important my setup:
VW95 in a total 100% controlled bat cave (everything is mat black, from furniture to walls etc). Screen size would be 100''.
Glasses are the MV3D glasses with the VW95 that I use.
post #252 of 288
No ideas anyone?
post #253 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Hi guys,

I went through this thread but I m still not sure what the best screen for me is to pick.

At this moment I m running my Sony VW95 on a basic 1.0 gain screen (from Kingpin, not familiar here probably, but it s a Dutch brand for screens with a low price and good performance). I like the 2D but dislike the 3D on it because it s a little dark. What screen would give me the best brightness in 3D without doing too much concessions for 2D performance?

Last but not least and most important my setup:
VW95 in a total 100% controlled bat cave (everything is mat black, from furniture to walls etc). Screen size would be 100''.
Glasses are the MV3D glasses with the VW95 that I use.

It depends on what your price range is for a new screen. A Stewart Studiotec 130 screen (gain = 1.3) would give you a 30% boost in brightness while still maintaining a wide viewing angle and much of what you like about a unity gain matte white screen. If you want a much brighter 3D image and if you can locate the projector vertically near eye-level (i.e., no more than approx. 1.5 meter above floor level), then a screen using the Da-lite High Power fabric (gain 2.4) might work for you. You may find it too bright for 2D viewing, but perhaps using the low lamp mode and other projector settings can get the overall brightness down to where you desire for 2D viewing.
post #254 of 288
thxz for your reply.

Here s a detailed distances picture of my current setup. Maybe you can advise even more specific with this information:
LL
post #255 of 288
Hi Guys,

First off, thanks for the great thread and all the info on 3D.

I have a 700 SF dedicated home theater with a 10 ft ceiling, two level seating, light controlled and acoustically balanced environment, etc, etc.

I primarily watch 2D movies, but love 3D when I can get good source material, but obviously the quality of the 3D picture is marginal at best with my 1st generation 3D JVC projector and Firehawk screen (even though most first time viewers think the 3D picture is awesome. but you and I know different).

So, having paged through this thread I have a couple questions you may be able to help me with.

Current equipment is as follows:

JVC DLA RS-60 projector (ceiling mounted just below the top of the screen frame, with 14 foot throw)

Stewart Firehawk screen (132 diagonal with Stewart frame - mounted to the front wall)

8 pairs of JVC active shutter 3D glasses

IMO, the JVC throws an awesome 2D picture, and most definitely blows the doors off my previous Sony Qualia 004 (that died about a year ago).

However, when it comes to 3D viewing I'd really like to try and enhance the PQ if possible.

Questions:

My assumption is a screen replacement would be the best way to improve PQ, other than replacing the PJ?

And if so, what screen would you guys recommend for 2D and 3D viewing (was thinking the Stewart 5D might be a good choice but I need input)?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Thomas
post #256 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

thxz for your reply.

Here s a detailed distances picture of my current setup. Maybe you can advise even more specific with this information:

no ideas anyone?
post #257 of 288
Ok still doing research but what seems to be the best screen for both 2d and passive 3d?
post #258 of 288
i am thinking to buy a silver screen for my projector w/ passive lens ( hd33). what do u recommened me to buy? any suggestion will be nice.

thank you.
post #259 of 288
Asked this before but still don t have an answer to this:

I own a Sony VPL-VW95ES and the 3D picture is way to dim on my 1.0 gain screen (fixed frame). So I m looking for a dual screen setup. I want to keep the 1.0 gain screen for 2D content and get a motorized screen for 3D. So I m looking a the projecta (dutch brand but same as Da-Lite from what I ve heard) 2.4 High Power screen. Will this screen work in my setup? I don t have my projector on eye height but it s pretty close. Or won t it work in my setup you guys think?
LL
post #260 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Asked this before but still don t have an answer to this:


I own a Sony VPL-VW95ES and the 3D picture is way to dim on my 1.0 gain screen (fixed frame). So I m looking for a dual screen setup. I want to keep the 1.0 gain screen for 2D content and get a motorized screen for 3D. So I m looking a the projecta (dutch brand but same as Da-Lite from what I ve heard) 2.4 High Power screen. Will this screen work in my setup? I don t have my projector on eye height but it s pretty close. Or won t it work in my setup you guys think?
525x525px-LL-409b7f38_vbattach244627.jpeg

That Projector/Screen/Viewer geometry should work alright with the Da-Lite High Power screen. You may want to check out the detailed gain calculator at the following link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/966057/all-screen-gain-calculator#post_12633346

Be certain to read Post #1 and Post #2 of that thread as the values to use in the spreadsheet (description and liink in Post #1) for the 2.4 gain High Power screen is given in Post #2.
Edited by Ron Jones - 6/12/12 at 6:34pm
post #261 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

That Projector/Screen/Viewer geometry should work alright with the Da-Lite High Power screen. You may want to check out the detailed gain calculator at the following link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/966057/all-screen-gain-calculator#post_12633346
Be certain to read Post #1 and Post #2 of that thread as the values to use in the spreadsheet (description and liink in Post #1) for the 2.4 gain High Power screen is given in Post #2.

we have this exact setup at our weekend house, DaLite HP and the sony 95ES. Its mounted a couple feet at least above eye level and it's awesome. Bright 3D (and very limited ghosting issues, we use the Monster glasses). 2D is _very_ bright without being an issue in any ways to my eyes (YMMV), but it's easy to adjust (although we're lazy and don't adjust too often unless we're watching sports and turn on some motion enhancement occasionally). We have a fairly short throw distance, and the largest DaLite screen in this material without seams (133" I think). An amazing experience overall, we use for primarily movies.
post #262 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

i am thinking to buy a silver screen for my projector w/ passive lens ( hd33). what do u recommened me to buy? any suggestion will be nice.


thank you.

For a passive system you will need two identical (or very similar projectors) along with external filters. For a DIY dual projector passive 3D setup using polarized filters, several people in THIS THREAD like the Harkness Silver Screen material. Go to that thread and search on Harkness for more info and opinions. Below are links for the:

Harkness Spectral 240
Harkness Stagelite Stereo

Stewart and Da-lite also make Silver Screens for polarizied 3D systems:

You also may be interested in my recent series of blogs on passive 3D projection systems over at Projector Reviews.
post #263 of 288
Looking for recommendations of screens that would work best with my set up. Using active shutter glasses with an infocus in146 2700 lumens 3d ready dlp short throw projector. Currently throwing a 120" image on a blackout cloth screen from only 5ft away. (projector is made with a wide angle dome lens). Projector is on a table just below eye level.
Have total light control, but the walls and ceiling are white (renting). More of a make shift movie room than a major home theater. Projector is bright for 2d viewing, but I'm looking for a screen with some gain for 3d. Will mostly be sitting at center of screen so I'm not too concerned about angle drop off. Since the throw is so short and its on a table, just checking what my best options would be as it will be used for 2d and 3d.
post #264 of 288
i am looking to buy a screen for my hd33 projector. but i dont kow what gain i shall buy? i need to buy at least 100inches screen.
post #265 of 288
What is the best 3D screen for retaining polarization?
post #266 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Adam View Post

Looking for recommendations of screens that would work best with my set up. Using active shutter glasses with an infocus in146 2700 lumens 3d ready dlp short throw projector. Currently throwing a 120" image on a blackout cloth screen from only 5ft away. (projector is made with a wide angle dome lens). Projector is on a table just below eye level.
Have total light control, but the walls and ceiling are white (renting). More of a make shift movie room than a major home theater. Projector is bright for 2d viewing, but I'm looking for a screen with some gain for 3d. Will mostly be sitting at center of screen so I'm not too concerned about angle drop off. Since the throw is so short and its on a table, just checking what my best options would be as it will be used for 2d and 3d.
This is a great case for a Da-lite hi-power.
post #267 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

What is the best 3D screen for retaining polarization?

It would be nice to have a new update on 3D screens. I just tested my Harkness 240 screen. It has been sitting in my closet for 6.5 years and I just hung it from a wire. It wasn't good from my 7' seating distance to the 120" screen. The screen structure was clearly visible. The extinction seemed fine. I now declare that extinction isn't the most important variable for me. Well, at least not the only. It is probably fine from a further seating distance. It did, on the other hand, make colors really pop, even more than my already awesome Vutec Silverstar screen. I really think RTBO is using a Black Diamond 2.x screen to good results. I would personally really like to try the new curved Vutec Silverstar 3D-P screen.
If you don't have perfect light control I imagine you couldn't beat the Black Diamond. Of course without a comprensive (or even casual) test it is all guessing.
post #268 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

It would be nice to have a new update on 3D screens. I just tested my Harkness 240 screen. It has been sitting in my closet for 6.5 years and I just hung it from a wire. It wasn't good from my 7' seating distance to the 120" screen. The screen structure was clearly visible. The extinction seemed fine. I now declare that extinction isn't the most important variable for me. Well, at least not the only. It is probably fine from a further seating distance. It did, on the other hand, make colors really pop, even more than my already awesome Vutec Silverstar screen. I really think RTBO is using a Black Diamond 2.x screen to good results. I would personally really like to try the new curved Vutec Silverstar 3D-P screen.
If you don't have perfect light control I imagine you couldn't beat the Black Diamond. Of course without a comprensive (or even casual) test it is all guessing.

I have some samples but the Black Diamond 4K 2.7 sample does not seem to retain any polarization. I did a simple test with the 3D glasses and it does not seem to hold any polarization.
post #269 of 288
oops, I said RTBO, but it was DRJAM that started the Ultimate 3D projection system thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1280393/the-ultimate-3d-projection-system-a-practical-discussion-thread
RDJAM said "I intend to use the Black Diamond II screen that I already have at home, as it is supposed to be compatible. (update Jan 11, 2011 - turns out the BD II only preserves Linear, not circular. They have a new 3D version in development which preserves circular also.."

so if you are testing with circular glasses from the theater it won't work.
post #270 of 288
Is anyone here using the Cinema Vision 1.3 with an Epson 5010/6010??? If so, how are your results? I have the 92" and I worry that maybe it will be too much (not just for 3D) :-D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › Discussion - Screens for 3D Projection