A few observations:
1) One of the fuel scouts mentioned that they discovered the fuel on the outskirts of Raleigh,NC? Was that correct? When did they drive through MD & VA? And if they've reached Raleigh/Greensboro they're 5hrs by highway or 2-3 days tops by backroads from Charleston. Why stop at a hospital and drain the convoy's tanks, when nobody was in need of critical care. Load up with supplies and push on. At least send a 4man scout party to Charleston to confirm it's status.
2) There should be fuel at almost every place they stop. If the skitters wiped out most of humanity there's no way all the fuel was consumed or destroyed in the 6months since the invasion. Diesel trains should dot the landscape as should parked semi trucks. Cars with full tanks will be in garages and parking lots across the nation. Most families own 2 cars. If you're fleeing an alien invasion you can only take 1. The other one should still have gas in it. My lawnmower starts up fine every spring after sitting idle for 5 months. Use a nail to punch a hole in the tank. Drain contents to a bucket. Repeat.
3) Someone on the production staff should've told the writers that they needed to crack a window when they showed up with the portable honda generator. Any electrician or set construction worker/grip could've pointed out the problem. My wife's a healthcare worker and not the least bit mechanical but even she snidely replied, "They saved the captain from the alien infection, too bad he's gonna die of CO poisioning."
4) I kinda like the storyline involving Hal's ex. It was a bit predictable but so what. My sole complaint was that Hal came off looking irrationally stupid. Her manipulation of him was not the least bit subtle. Where was the guard that Tom Mason put on her cell in addition to Margaret. Pee break?
5) I realize this ep was probably designed to be on the cheap side financially, thus the scarcity of special effects but the show needs to do a better job of telling the alien uprising story. Or at least telling you what the skitters are up to. Their reason for invasion. End game plans. It's like the skitters/overloards and humans inhabit 2 completely different worlds and they only cross paths every few episodes and usually on accident.
6) Jamil, Lordes' boyfriend is my hero. Dude can rig up any contraption with shoestrings and duct tape. He gets the Dr Rodney McKay Award.