or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Falling Skies' on TNT HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 56

post #1651 of 2147
Don't forget that the 3rd episode intentionally was a "bottle" episode to make up for the expense of the special effects in the first two episodes. Beeman's Blog at http://gregbeeman.blogspot.ca/ discusses some of the tradeoffs they made. Not surprisingly, they seem to think they've been doing an incredibly great job. *sigh*
post #1652 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

You'd thing with only 10 eps/season things would really be moving along- like they did with Orphan Black!

How dare you compare Falling Skies to Orphan Black. You should know better. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

You didn't leave the room or 'rest your eyelids' during the episode?

I can't even imagine doing that. If a show had gotten that bad, I would have stopped watching it many episodes ago.
post #1653 of 2147
Never heard of Orphan Black. Any good?
post #1654 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Never heard of Orphan Black. Any good?

I'm not watching because it's on BBC America (clutter and editing for content prime) but I haven't heard a bad word about it. Check the AVS thread.

The lead actress just received a critic's award.
post #1655 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Never heard of Orphan Black. Any good?
"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD

It puts Falling Skies to shame, shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence, the first season of 10 episodes just concluded a few ago.

The lead actress' performance is Emmy-winning, simply amazing.
post #1656 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Never heard of Orphan Black. Any good?
Quite good TV, and no filler episodes.
It also got picked up for a second season!
post #1657 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'm not watching because it's on BBC America (clutter and editing for content prime) but I haven't heard a bad word about it. Check the AVS thread.

The lead actress just received a critic's award.
If you have iTunes- they have full unmolested 1080p downloads of all 10 episodes.
post #1658 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'm not watching because it's on BBC America (clutter and editing for content prime) but I haven't heard a bad word about it. Check the AVS thread.

The lead actress just received a critic's award.
If you have iTunes- they have full unmolested 1080p downloads of all 10 episodes.

Thanks, but I'll wait until it appears on Netflix or Amazon. By the time I get around to catching up on other shows it probably be on there. biggrin.gif
post #1659 of 2147
Orphan Black has been on Amazon since the show started. All of the episodes are available there.
post #1660 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Orphan Black has been on Amazon since the show started. All of the episodes are available there.

Not Prime yet.
post #1661 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

If you have iTunes- they have full unmolested 1080p downloads of all 10 episodes.

How much was cut out? If I bought all the BBC shows I watch off VUDU or AMAzon I would be spending too much money.
post #1662 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

How much was cut out? If I bought all the BBC shows I watch off VUDU or AMAzon I would be spending too much money.
Nothing is cut out of the iTunes downloads for Orphan Black, they're 100% uncut.
I have seen iTunes video downloads where the F-word is censored out- but I don't think Orphan Black has ever used the F-word.
post #1663 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Not Prime yet.

Of course not. If Amazon Prime membership included current programming, it would actually be useful and majorly undercut the cable companies on pricing.
post #1664 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Of course not. If Amazon Prime membership included current programming, it would actually be useful and majorly undercut the cable companies on pricing.

I read on WIKI Amazon was considering the "Super Premium Prime Cut" that will offer current programming at $150.00 a month .. wink.gif
post #1665 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I read on WIKI Amazon was considering the "Super Premium Prime Cut" that will offer current programming at $150.00 a month .. wink.gif
Yeah, but you need to have a cable or satellite subscription on top of that to access the content.... wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1666 of 2147
Doug Jones is excellent. Totally convincing during his monologue. And I almost got Cochise's full name correct. biggrin.gif

There should be more Doug Jones.

And much, much less of almost everyone else.

Not content with the space baby cliche, this week felt the need to add Jekyll and Hal; complete with evil mirror doppelgänger trope. Anne's character has gone from strong to just stupid. She knocks out crazy doc, drugs Lourdes and runs off to ...? Great plan. Why even drug Lourdes at all? Just wait for her to leave and walk out. Especially at night, when based on Hal's nocturnal escapades it is extremely easy to breeze past everyone without raising an eyebrow.

The opening was a massive anticlimax too. Mason gathers everyone above ground to see the awesome power of the Volm and everyone is amazed they have some alien Stinger missiles with multiple warheads. Mason shot down a beamer with an RPG in the first season and that doesn't even have target lock!

The lack of imagination is really neutering the Volm presence. When everyone was looking at the sky I was expecting something amazing. The Volm dropships flying in on autopilot and shooting down the beamers. Anti-air batteries rising from the ground. Volm mechs climbing into view. A defense field vaporizing the enemy craft ...

nah, just two guys with shoulder-mounted rocket launchers. rolleyes.gif
post #1667 of 2147
The show totally went of the rails tonight - don't know if there is any coming back. I second what VisionOn just said. Anne Was always smart and steady in the face of anything and everything. now she's drugging and knocking people out? Get real. Then there is the Hal crap, is there any cliché the writers won't stoop to? We have alien babies, possessed supposed teens, - Hal looks to be pushing 30 - and stupid plot devices to get Tom and Pope on the buddy team next week.
post #1668 of 2147
Well to add to the list of crap in this episode. The parts with Ben and whatever his new spiked girlfriend's name is were redundant. They showed them talking about how they have these powers and oh no, they'll lose them. But it's the right decision. Then they cut to whatever else happened in this show, then back 10 minutes later to have this same conversation again.

Ben and his powers are really the only reason I think I watch the show. This has devolved into a Defiance level show now.

Also unfortunate that Moon doesn't look like she did last season. A small highlight that went out the window with this season. Was she actually pregnant and just put on baby weight?



I'm also getting sick of the style of shooting they do with their scenes. The conversation with the kids, I think it was the start of the show, then when their conversation ends it's just slid over to Hal and the prison guy. I think it was kind of cool for one scene, but I think they do it in every show.
post #1669 of 2147
Goofy episode. Wth is up with Anne? Finds out baby has Alien DNA, knocks out Dr., drugs assistant, & takes off with baby. C'mon, man.

It was great seeing Saul back in action.:cool;
post #1670 of 2147
Nice to see Michael Hogan. Brought his Colonel Tigh attitude from Battlestar Galactica along with him. smile.gif
post #1671 of 2147
LOL ... Well it won't be "complete" until we find out that the "real" POTUS" has been secretly in league with the fishheads all along ...

Come on folks ... you know it's coming. biggrin.gif
post #1672 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

LOL ... Well it won't be "complete" until we find out that the "real" POTUS" has been secretly in league with the fishheads all along ...

Come on folks ... you know it's coming. biggrin.gif

At the end I seriously thought the incoming attack was a bluff so POTNUS ( wink.gif ) could get his hands on Cochise and torture him for info. Maybe POTNUS will hand him over to the Overlords in exchange for protection and profit sharing in Espheni Interplanetary Mining Co.
post #1673 of 2147
Thought it was an excellent episode. Love the addition of the president (I thought I wouldn't). The new aliens are just awesome for me, I love how formal and polite it is. Only thing I didn't like was Anne suddenly freaking out and leaving with the baby. Other then that, thought it was a great episode.
post #1674 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Thought it was an excellent episode. Love the addition of the president (I thought I wouldn't). The new aliens are just awesome for me, I love how formal and polite it is. Only thing I didn't like was Anne suddenly freaking out and leaving with the baby. Other then that, thought it was a great episode.
I also didn't think it was as bad as some here were making it out to be...
One nit to pick- it did seem like they wasted precious time with Ben and girlfriend having the same exact conversation about the surgery two times? So we already had a filler episode (ep3), now they're wasting time with redundant scenes.
You'd think with a short 10 episode season they'd be cramming as much new material as they can into each installment.
post #1675 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Nice to see Michael Hogan. Brought his Colonel Tigh attitude from Battlestar Galactica along with him. smile.gif
I was half expecting to see him with the eye patch and bottle biggrin.gif
post #1676 of 2147
Who was on the plane that exploded? If I recall the POTUS took off in another plane..

yeah Anne went all crazy nuts all of the sudden, mother defending the child at all costs, even if the kid is alien...

So, I didn't get it, the spike kids went ahead with the procedure or not? at the end they both had glasses on, so they lost their abilities or the glasses were used as telescopes or what?
post #1677 of 2147

I am with the chorus on how ridiculous most of it was.  While the overall story line had good potential and was actually interesting, the way in which they carried it out was beyond goofy.  Not mentioned so far (there were so many) was Pope's sudden ownership of a fully functioning secret airplane, with airstrip and all.  Big secret, yet there it is all ready to go.  And the flying chase scene - really?  Kind of like the mostly hapless mech shooters who are normally standing right in the midst of a crowd of humans and can't hit any of them, even with their laser targeted weapons.  I feel pretty certain this won't be renewed after this season, so I will laugh my way through the rest with a wink and a nod.  But Falling Skies is kind of like bird poop - momentarily airborne but destined to hit the ground with a stink and a mess.

post #1678 of 2147
I'm not sure why the solution for escaping the alien raid was for everyone to get in airplanes and fly away. Do they really expect antique aircraft to be able to outmaneuver alien spaceships? Their ability to dodge those shots was preposterous, but then again, the bad guys are always terrible shots. You'd think a more sensible solution to survive an alien raid would be to hide in an underground bunker until the attack ended and then escape later. Then again, it was hard to believe that Mason et al. were able to fly in broad daylight to see the president without getting shot down and without worrying that they'd lead the enemy to their destination.

Anne's actions don't even make any sense within the context of this season's ridiculous alien baby plot. Up until this episode, she looked as though she was practically on the verge of killing Alexis out of the fear that she was an alien monster. Now that she knows she's not paranoid and the kid really is alien in origin, she's had a complete personality transplant and is trying to protect the baby that one episode ago she looked ready to smother with a pillow. This show has never been particularly logical, but some of its characters seem almost bipolar, and this is on top of how ridiculous her "plan" to save Alexis is.
post #1679 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I'm not sure why the solution for escaping the alien raid was for everyone to get in airplanes and fly away. Do they really expect antique aircraft to be able to outmaneuver alien spaceships? Their ability to dodge those shots was preposterous, but then again, the bad guys are always terrible shots. You'd think a more sensible solution to survive an alien raid would be to hide in an underground bunker until the attack ended and then escape later. Then again, it was hard to believe that Mason et al. were able to fly in broad daylight to see the president without getting shot down and without worrying that they'd lead the enemy to their destination.

Anne's actions don't even make any sense within the context of this season's ridiculous alien baby plot. Up until this episode, she looked as though she was practically on the verge of killing Alexis out of the fear that she was an alien monster. Now that she knows she's not paranoid and the kid really is alien in origin, she's had a complete personality transplant and is trying to protect the baby that one episode ago she looked ready to smother with a pillow. This show has never been particularly logical, but some of its characters seem almost bipolar, and this is on top of how ridiculous her "plan" to save Alexis is.

They said this specifically, that they shouldn't get in the planes because there was no way they could escape them. While flying they said they were going to try and loose them and they were flying fairly low at times.
post #1680 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

This show has never been particularly logical, but some of its characters seem almost bipolar, and this is on top of how ridiculous her "plan" to save Alexis is.
Thanks for my first morning laugh smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Falling Skies' on TNT HD