or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Falling Skies' on TNT HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 70

post #2071 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But what do you mean by low budget?

I mean they only had one articulated Volm suit, so they had ro use the same actor to play Cochise Jr and Sr. That's "low-budget."
post #2072 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

As well, I guess your work here is not done .. wink.gif

I figure I'm going to have to come out of off-season retirement since this is turning into a Trek thread and nobody else can come up with something Skies-related. wink.gif

In other news there will be a Falling Skies console video game. In late 2014. That's a season too late. They should have introduced that between season two and three, not so far down the line that it fails to capitalize on its highest ratings. They could have used the seven month gap to fill in the blanks.
post #2073 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I mean they only had one articulated Volm suit, so they had ro use the same actor to play Cochise Jr and Sr. That's "low-budget."

I can't figure out if it's cheaper to have Doug Jones play two characters in one scene and then waste a lot of time by having to shoot and set up everything twice, or just make another suit and get another actor. Surely they can't work like that next year? Unless it means that we will rarely see two acting Volms on screen and it will be Doug Jones and a lot of silent, static extras.
post #2074 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I can't figure out if it's cheaper to have Doug Jones play two characters in one scene and then waste a lot of time by having to shoot and set up everything twice, or just make another suit and get another actor. Surely they can't work like that next year? Unless it means that we will rarely see two acting Volms on screen and it will be Doug Jones and a lot of silent, static extras.

My guess: the latter. They probably asked Eick "are you going to need more Volm suits next season?" and the answer was "Nah."
post #2075 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I mean they only had one articulated Volm suit, so they had ro use the same actor to play Cochise Jr and Sr. That's "low-budget."

I think they did use a different head, though .. I can't say on the suit itself since I was looking at the heads .. for some odd reason, I find the Volm articulation of English and the eye blinking and what not fascinating ..
post #2076 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I think they did use a different head, though .. I can't say on the suit itself since I was looking at the heads .. for some odd reason, I find the Volm articulation of English and the eye blinking and what not fascinating ..

All God's critters gotta' blink. Dry-eyes are a galaxy-wide scourge, apparently. Wonder if the Volm have their version of Visine? Wonder what Volm stoners use for relief? tongue.gif
post #2077 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

BSG (the 21st century version) was, by all objective criteria, perhaps the greatest sci-fi series ever made. There are good arguments that it was one of the best dramatic series ever made, and it won a prestigious Peabody Award as TV's best drama after its second season. Yet, it struggled in the ratings every year, narrowly avoiding cancellation probably because of all its critical acclaim and geek buzz. NBC, as an experiment, ran some episodes on the broadcast network one time, after it had been out on cable for awhile and had achieved a certain recognition for quality. The ratings were abysmal, and they never tried it again.

So, I think your point about quality mattering is misplaced, unfortunately. Sci-fi genre shows just don't seem to work for a mass audience no matter how good they are. BTW, an insipid reality show about rednecks who make duck calls just premiered this week to over 11 million viewers, on a cablenet. I think I'm going to go get drunk now. frown.gif

I'd go so far as to say BSG was, in fact, the greatest sci fi series ever made overall ..

And can anyone say "Firefly" .. ?? IMO another one of the examples that illustrate the general publics lack of taste ..

Like I've said before, I'll watch and welcome any and all sci fi .. what's confusing is the mega blockbuster's like "Avatar", "Hunger Games", "Transformers" etc .. that do catch mass audience appeal .. yet the TV series material fails to really ignite ..

Maybe we need a meth cooking school teacher, serial killing crime lab geek, Zombie Walkers and a midget that got transported from Kings Landing to star in a new sci fi series ..
post #2078 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'd go so far as to say BSG was, in fact, the greatest sci fi series ever made overall ..

And can anyone say "Firefly" .. ?? IMO another one of the examples that illustrate the general publics lack of taste ..

If 'Firefly' had continued, I've no doubt it would have pushed BSG for that title. Even though they were entirely different kinds of show. Wit and humor, a lighter touch with hard sci-fi (no sound in space - even BSG didn't attempt that), that's what made 'Firefly' special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Like I've said before, I'll watch and welcome any and all sci fi .. what's confusing is the mega blockbuster's like "Avatar", "Hunger Games", "Transformers" etc .. that do catch mass audience appeal .. yet the TV series material fails to really ignite ..

Not only that, nearly every blockbuster video game selling at $60/copy is sci-fi based. Usually involving war or apocalyptic themes. Just like BSG, which typically only drew 2-3 million viewers a week. Go figure.
post #2079 of 2147
^^^ That and Morena Baccarin .. smile.gif

post #2080 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'd go so far as to say BSG was, in fact, the greatest sci fi series ever made overall ..

BSG was not even close to the "greatest sci-fi" ever made. It was a good drama but a very lazy science-fiction show. From it's lazy production design, absence of any original science-fiction concepts, silly conceits and tropes and overall lack of imagination it brought almost nothing to the table of great science-fiction. The only reason it gained recognition was that it dealt with the dramatic angle in a serious fashion and had some good actors on board.

The fact it used the lazy "they look just like us" sci-fi trope as the basis for the majority of storylines should disqualify it instantly.

The episode with Starbuck flying a raider by squeezing it's internal organs, was so dumb that it would have been too silly for Farscape.
post #2081 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

BSG was not even close to the "greatest sci-fi" ever made. It was a good drama but a very lazy science-fiction show. From it's lazy production design, absence of any original science-fiction concepts, silly conceits and tropes and overall lack of imagination it brought almost nothing to the table of great science-fiction. The only reason it gained recognition was that it dealt with the dramatic angle in a serious fashion and had some good actors on board.

The fact it used the lazy "they look just like us" sci-fi trope as the basis for the majority of storylines should disqualify it instantly.

The episode with Starbuck flying a raider by squeezing it's internal organs, was so dumb that it would have been too silly for Farscape.

Your opinion / My opinion == Zero Net Gain ..
post #2082 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Your opinion / My opinion == Zero Net Gain ..

grand statement + public forum = expect counter argument
post #2083 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Your opinion / My opinion == Zero Net Gain ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

grand statement + public forum = expect counter argument

Our opinion / His opinion = two to one, we win!
post #2084 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Your opinion / My opinion == Zero Net Gain ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

grand statement + public forum = expect counter argument

Our opinion / His opinion = two to one, we win!

The WGA didn't vote your way unfortunately, so that tips the scales back. tongue.gif

And not forgetting this quote from Moore which I always find amusing when the sci-fi of BSG is brought up:

"It's definitely rooted in a science fiction universe and there are enough of the trappings of that world to satisfy the desires of a hardcore audience. But it's more decorative than substance."
post #2085 of 2147
But where else would you find a show that ..

1) Asked you to sympathize with Aliens that steal your identity .. ??

2) Or to identify with terrorists/religious fanatics when a real war was going on .. ??

and the final episode, other than maybe the last few minutes, was some of the best/smartest/ action we'll likely ever see on a TV show ..

IMO .. wink.gif
post #2086 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

But where else would you find a show that ..

1) Asked you to sympathize with Aliens that steal your identity .. ??

2) Or to identify with terrorists/religious fanatics when a real war was going on .. ??

Star Trek? War parables were all over both TNG and orginal Trek.

Like I said, BSG was good drama but it didn't add anything to the sci-fi genre that hadn't be done before, except deal with the situation in a less kitschy way than usual.

To me a good sci-fi show will introduce a story concept or idea that is rarely used, requires some imagination on behalf of the writers or a story that breaks conventions.

Charlie Jade was a better sci-fi show than BSG. I don't think it was a better drama however.

edit: one good example of ST:TNG covering terrorism was The High Ground. It was only shown in the UK 5 years ago because of the Northern Ireland situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Ground_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29
Edited by VisionOn - 8/17/13 at 11:51am
post #2087 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

But where else would you find a show that ..

1) Asked you to sympathize with Aliens that steal your identity .. ??

2) Or to identify with terrorists/religious fanatics when a real war was going on .. ??

I remember the thread losing some of the "patriots" around here during that season. Guys who adored the show up to that point because of the military aspect. Funny. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

and the final episode, other than maybe the last few minutes, was some of the best/smartest/ action we'll likely ever see on a TV show ..

IMO .. wink.gif

I've watched that final ep half a dozen times and that scene with Adama on that mountaintop and Bear McCreary's full orchestral score swelling up.... (Moore got special permission from the network to spring for one for the finale)

Well, I'm not ashamed to say my peepers swell up too. Every time. I know it was kind of manipulative, but damn if it wasn't awesome. smile.gif
post #2088 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I remember the thread losing some of the "patriots" around here during that season. Guys who adored the show up to that point because of the military aspect. Funny. tongue.gif
I've watched that final ep half a dozen times and that scene with Adama on that mountaintop and Bear McCreary's full orchestral score swelling up.... (Moore got special permission from the network to spring for one for the finale)

Well, I'm not ashamed to say my peepers swell up too. Every time. I know it was kind of manipulative, but damn if it wasn't awesome. smile.gif

I don't often use the word awesome, but you're right ..

BSG was so layered with so much texture and complication, it was truly a series, that for me anyway, was missed when it ended ..
post #2089 of 2147
I liked BSG... and I know it was generally well-received... but I seem to remember a LOT of negativity on the internet about it, especially in the final seasons.
post #2090 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I liked BSG... and I know it was generally well-received... but I seem to remember a LOT of negativity on the internet about it, especially in the final seasons.

Not on this forum - I was the OP of the thread. It was as highly regarded as 'Breaking Bad' and 'Game of Thrones' are today - a few minor technical quibbles, but generally very positive. Excluding the "New Caprica" story arc I referenced above, of course. That got a few guys' knickers in a bunch - the "freedom-fries" crowd. wink.gif Perhaps that's where you found the negativity - they were pretty vocal, and they were all over the web expressing their displeasure with that plotline. But there were enough of them that the ratings, never big to begin with, took a noticeable hit.

Of course, let's not talk about Starbuck or Baltar & Head-Six, and how those plot threads ultimately got resolved. We try to see the big picture. biggrin.gif

At least there was no glowy cave. wink.gif
post #2091 of 2147
I'm in the minority I know, but I actually liked the ending of BSG. I thought it was a satisfying conclusion to the storyline, consistant with the tone and themes of the series. Within the reality of the series I thought it made perfect sense. I agree it was the best show in the genre ever on tv.

I'm finding Orphan Black and Continuum almost as enjoyable. Along with Fringe, thats my favorite Sci-Fi shows all time.
post #2092 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I can't figure out if it's cheaper to have Doug Jones play two characters in one scene and then waste a lot of time by having to shoot and set up everything twice, or just make another suit and get another actor..

The former. I'm willing to bet those suits are around $15-20K each, based on similar suits I've seen for other shows. Plus more suits would up the number of prosthetic crew persons needed (you need a set of helpers for each actor in a suit).

Whereas, each shot with two Volm would cost just a few hundred dollars. Carefully plan your shots, and only have a few scenes with multiple Volm, and you'd save a lot of money doing the split screen Parent Trap gag.
post #2093 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Not on this forum - I was the OP of the thread. It was as highly regarded as 'Breaking Bad' and 'Game of Thrones' are today - a few minor technical quibbles, but generally very positive. Excluding the "New Caprica" story arc I referenced above, of course. That got a few guys' knickers in a bunch - the "freedom-fries" crowd. wink.gif Perhaps that's where you found the negativity - they were pretty vocal, and they were all over the web expressing their displeasure with that plotline. But there were enough of them that the ratings, never big to begin with, took a noticeable hit.

Of course, let's not talk about Starbuck or Baltar & Head-Six, and how those plot threads ultimately got resolved. We try to see the big picture. biggrin.gif

At least there was no glowy cave. wink.gif
Baltar and Head-Six (who only Baltar could see) - and let's not forget - Six and Head-Baltar (who only Six could see). eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #2094 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I liked BSG... and I know it was generally well-received... but I seem to remember a LOT of negativity on the internet about it, especially in the final seasons.

Well the image of the sperm shaped Galactica crashing into the egg shaped Cylon colony alone should be enough to put BSG into the sci-fi hall of shame for eternity ... and that's just the start of the problems with the finale. wink.gif

To be fair, had Caprica been allowed to continue, they may have actually been able to "fix" the ending of BSG ... it's a long shot, but I did see the way out ...
post #2095 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Well the image of the sperm shaped Galactica crashing into the egg shaped Cylon colony alone should be enough to put BSG into the sci-fi hall of shame for eternity

Hmmmm, I can honestly say I never made that "connection" until now. tongue.gif

Sounds like you and your therapist have your next hour mapped out. wink.gif
post #2096 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hmmmm, I can honestly say I never made that "connection" until now. tongue.gif

Sounds like you and your therapist have your next hour mapped out. wink.gif

LOL ... actually I think the CGI and production design team probably needed more "therapy" than me. biggrin.gif
post #2097 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I liked BSG... and I know it was generally well-received... but I seem to remember a LOT of negativity on the internet about it, especially in the final seasons.
Yeah it was controversial alright including it's "last supper " like promotional photo. Many episodes were dragging , with lots of bloviating.
post #2098 of 2147
Knock on wood... the only show that I can remember watching in recent years where pretty much the entire thread has been positive?

Orphan Black.

It is a well-earned virtual love-fest in that thread... Every other show I watch (or have watched) has had ups and downs and at least some divergent tangent nit-picks... but the Orphan Black thread has stayed on point, primarily due to how well executed it has been as a show.

Of course now that I've typed that... next season will crash off the rails and it will all be my fault. Sorry. Sorry everybody! smile.gif
post #2099 of 2147
If you haven't been watching The Americans, that show's thread is full of praise, too.
post #2100 of 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Knock on wood... the only show that I can remember watching in recent years where pretty much the entire thread has been positive?

Orphan Black.

It is a well-earned virtual love-fest in that thread... Every other show I watch (or have watched) has had ups and downs and at least some divergent tangent nit-picks... but the Orphan Black thread has stayed on point, primarily due to how well executed it has been as a show.

Of course now that I've typed that... next season will crash off the rails and it will all be my fault. Sorry. Sorry everybody! smile.gif

Not to belabor the point too much, but... "Orphan Black" is something I truly don't understand (not the show -- I LOVE the show) -- the fact that Tatiana Maslany didn't get nominated for an Emmy. Entertainment Weekly complained about it several times, as well, chalking it up to some seeming AVERSION Emmy voters have against voting for cast members in "the genre" for Emmys, as they had literally BEGGED them to give one to John Noble for "Fringe" at least ONCE -- or at least a nomination -- and he never got a single nomination, either. Well, I could swallow that... EXCEPT that equally excellent shows such as "Game of Thrones" get SHOWERED with nominations (and wins). Now of course all of US know GOT and "Fringe" or "Orphan Black" are different categories, as GOT is "historical dungeons and dragons fantasy," or something to that effect. But to the average viewer, they all fall into the same vein, and a channel such as SyFy shows them all as if they're the same, and frankly, I enjoy all such fiction much the same. While I enjoy the true sci-fi from the perspective that it could be real (and frankly there's NOTHING in "Orphan Black" that may not have actually already happened, as the technology has been feasible for some time -- unlike "Fringe," which had all sorts of things in it that ventured beyond even traditional Sci-fi and almost into what we'd call "magic"); I still enjoy all the "magic" and whatnot on shows like GOT just as much and get much the same "thrill," I guess you could call it, out of it. I know that's not true for all sci-fi fans, but I think it's true for quite a few of us.

So at any rate, I see it as even MORE unfair that a show like GOT gets so many noms (even as well-deserved as they are -- again, I had Peter Dinklage pegged for an Emmy halfway through the first episode), but Tatiana Maslany got snubbed. It's almost "criminal." Her acting on that show is possibly the most impressive female acting I've ever seen on ANY TV show, period.
Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Falling Skies' on TNT HD