Originally Posted by mgkdragn
No matter how great the writing, the actors and their chemistry, as well as the viewers ability to relate to the characters weigh in heavily on any show .. from any source ..
Well, I would say the chemistry is there. It does feel like the characters do have a good foundation with each other.
The problem is, the writers haven't given us much to relate to. They don't seem to have an urgency about their situation and we don't really know anything about their lives before this. Even preparing for battle feels more like everyone is getting ready to put together a charity car wash. It doesn't feel like anyone is worried other than the bickering about tactics.
Further, the show seems to be stuck in flow chart mode:
- It's revealed there is a nearby 1) storehouse of food/weapons/supplies or 2) safe place to move to.
- Plans are made to deal with the above, but not without a disagreement over the execution.
- The mission is carried out, but not without someone being injured or killed after someone goes off the plan.
- Meanwhile, the good doctor/captain/Margaret has to deal with 1) people in need of medical care/food/an attitude adjustment or 2) some half-hearted alien research/problems with children/someone who needs to be trained in something.
- The fighters manage to resolve the mission, but not as planned or according to a plan conceived off camera in hopes of surprising the audience.
During the show, one or more of the following may happen:
- Pope shows up and talks smack about someone's cooking. He later pulls of some sort of escape from where he is being held or cornered. He has to encounter Wyle's character, who both helps him while keeping him out of trouble until he's out of sight.
- Someone shows hatred toward a formerly harnessed kid, but later is eliminated or shown the error of his ways.
- A character we haven't met plays an important role in the story.
- We see someone at the missing kids board.
- Some sort of task needs to be done with the motorcycles.
- Everyone has dinner together or relaxes with friends at the end of the day.
I'm still digging Falling Skies .. ragged holes and all ..
I'm still in because it's not bad, but I just wish they would step it up a bit and at least smooth out a few of the ragged holes.