or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 65

post #1921 of 3539
I used GLS Locking banana plugs, they're quite secure.
post #1922 of 3539
Wow that is a lot cheaper than what I had seen them for, I will most likely go that route now.
post #1923 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W_Elit3 View Post

Thanks! Since you've done this before, I'll bug you with one more question, what banana plugs would you recommend? They don't have to be super cheap, I wanna be sure they'll hold up over time.

I bought a bunch of the emotiva kits for $5 each a couple months ago. Dunno if they are still on sale. I can't comment on how good they are though since I have been too lazy to make fancy cables and haven't even bought any tech flex yet
post #1924 of 3539
Well I ordered everything, hopefully I'll be using my custom cables by the weekend!
post #1925 of 3539
Good luck.
post #1926 of 3539
just made some more rattlesnakes today.
post #1927 of 3539
hey guys... what size techflex for .6 inch diameter cable?
post #1928 of 3539
Chris-

Looks like .6" is roughly twice as thick as Monoprice 14/2 in-wall, and I use 3/8" techflex for that. Providing my math is correct (please doublecheck), it looks like 3/4" techflex might work.

It's probably best to give Barry a call on his cell-his number is somewhere in this thread or I can PM it to you.

Hey-what happened to Evil Chris??
post #1929 of 3539
^^^

thanks steve, i dropped him an email too... i'll give him a ringy in the morning if i don't hear back from him before then... his number is on his listings, so i'm good there...

btw, your math sounds right to me...

evil chris has retreated back into his cave from an extended session of debauchery... however, there have been a few posters lately who have been tempting him to make another appearance...
post #1930 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

there have been a few posters lately who have been tempting him to make another appearance... :d

Yep, I fear he could soon be making an evil "Hulk-style" return .

Attachment 246020
LL
post #1931 of 3539
lol! i gotta see if i can fit that into an avatar...
post #1932 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

hey guys... what size techflex for .6 inch diameter cable?

Do you have a pic of the cable your using or a link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post




Hey-what happened to Evil Chris??



[quote=holt7153;22004182]Yep, I fear he could soon be making an evil "Hulk-style" return .


Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^



evil chris has retreated back into his cave from an extended session of debauchery... however, there have been a few posters lately who have been tempting him to make another appearance...

He wont be making a appearance in this thread any longer.
post #1933 of 3539
^^^

i'll look... it's "normal" 12/3 sjoow power cord... i need to make some "aftermarket" power cords for a few things...

edit: no, this is a nice friendly thread... no need for evil chris to show his face around these parts...
post #1934 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

i'll look... it's "normal" 12/3 sjoow power cord... i need to make some "aftermarket" power cords for a few things...

Uh oh, a new snake oil business?

While I jest, it could be lucrative.
post #1935 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

i'll look... it's "normal" 12/3 sjoow power cord... i need to make some "aftermarket" power cords for a few things...

edit: no, this is a nice friendly thread... no need for evil chris to show his face around these parts...

I actually just made one for my sub.

Remember 1/2 and 3/4 is bigger than you think. I would try a scrap piece on it if possible. I have used 3/8 on my Belden 14/3 power cable before.
post #1936 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Uh oh, a new snake oil business?

While I jest, it could be lucrative.

not a bad idea... "ccotenj and nethawk's exotic cable company"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

I actually just made one for my sub.

Remember 1/2 and 3/4 is bigger than you think. I would try a scrap piece on it if possible. I have used 3/8 on my Belden 14/3 power cable before.

cool. yea, that's what these are for... i need a couple of "shorties" for my subs...

i'll experiment... i think i've got some lying around somewhere in my shed, the trick will be finding it...
post #1937 of 3539
This is the one I just converted. Its a two prong stock cable which I put a Wattgate end on.


Attachment 246102
LL
post #1938 of 3539
^^^

i like that... which techflex "color" is that one?
post #1939 of 3539
Rattlesnake
post #1940 of 3539
Just ordered some parts to do the finishing work on some speaker cables. I'll post some pics when they're done.
post #1941 of 3539
Ok, I got all of the stuff I need to make mine. Can someone run me through how to get the cable pants to shrink? Or point me to the post that describes this? I bought enough stuff to try a mulligan.
post #1942 of 3539
cable pants dont shrink.

Heat shrink does
post #1943 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

What do you guys think of these plugs? Basically the exact same price as Monoprice for these cause shipping is free. $44.00 shipped for 25 pairs



http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0534E50.html

For what my warning is worth, I ordered from this site and never received my plugs. He never responded to my emails so finally had to file and get a full refund from paypal.
post #1944 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

cable pants dont shrink.

Heat shrink does

Crap. So where do I get heat shrink
post #1945 of 3539
You can get a pack of assorted length/size heat shrink from most hardware stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.). I've seen heat shrinkable cable pants online but never used them.
post #1946 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

For what my warning is worth, I ordered from this site and never received my plugs. He never responded to my emails so finally had to file and get a full refund from paypal.


I would never order those plugs. They are not worth your time or money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Crap. So where do I get heat shrink

You can get heatshrink from av outlet.

If you need to contact me, do so. It sounds you need some guidance before you venture any further and mess your cables up. lol
post #1947 of 3539
my cables consist of 12 gauge Karma bi-wire and "cable pants" to match from Knu, along with white techflex and white heat shrink tubing from eBay, and a 24 pack of Sewell Silverback banana plugs from Amazon. The techflex will cover the main run of wire, the 'pants' will go where the outer insulation is stripped back, and the heat shrink will secure the techflex to the 'pants'.

This wiring will be for my front 3 speakers (KEF 104/2 bi-wire, and 200C bi-wire center) that go to a wall plate beneath the HDTV. I have CL3 in-wall 12awg 2C and 4C wire to go in-wall to the plates and the AV rack in the next room.

I think some nice white cable with black boots at the speakers and plate will look classy, and should work well for my bi-wire setup as well.

Incidentally, those Nak plugs look just like the eKs banana plugs Knu sells, too. Same split design. I've used some, and they do provide a very tight fit in a binding post, but they're a bit weak, too. I had one break on me before I even had it secured on the end of the wire, when I was constructing some cables once. Now I just use conventional silver or gold plugs instead, and locking RCA connectors for interconnects.
post #1948 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Ok, I got all of the stuff I need to make mine. Can someone run me through how to get the cable pants to shrink? Or point me to the post that describes this? I bought enough stuff to try a mulligan.

cable pants with gloss heat shrink on the end.

2:1 ratio shrink.
post #1949 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

my cables consist of 12 gauge Karma bi-wire and "cable pants" to match from Knu, along with white techflex and white heat shrink tubing from eBay, and a 24 pack of Sewell Silverback banana plugs from Amazon. The techflex will cover the main run of wire, the 'pants' will go where the outer insulation is stripped back, and the heat shrink will secure the techflex to the 'pants'.

This wiring will be for my front 3 speakers (KEF 104/2 bi-wire, and 200C bi-wire center) that go to a wall plate beneath the HDTV. I have CL3 in-wall 12awg 2C and 4C wire to go in-wall to the plates and the AV rack in the next room.

I think some nice white cable with black boots at the speakers and plate will look classy, and should work well for my bi-wire setup as well.

Incidentally, those Nak plugs look just like the eKs banana plugs Knu sells, too. Same split design. I've used some, and they do provide a very tight fit in a binding post, but they're a bit weak, too. I had one break on me before I even had it secured on the end of the wire, when I was constructing some cables once. Now I just use conventional silver or gold plugs instead, and locking RCA connectors for interconnects.

I made some white with pearl RCAs a while back with white shrink.
post #1950 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

I think some nice white cable with black boots at the speakers and plate will look classy, and should work well for my bi-wire setup as well.

Back when I was bi-wire curious I made this set (sorry about the dog hair on the carpet )

Attachment 246313
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!