or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 8

post #211 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Very Nice work!!! I would seriously consider getting either Banana's, Spades, or something to terminate those fancy looking cables! Great stuff guys! Keep It up!


I am definitely getting banana connectors. I was going to order the GLS locking connectors but as you already saw, they're all out of stuck until 2/8, last I looked. :-)
post #212 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Are you kidding me? those are FANTASTIC my friend!!! Very Very professional and definitely up to "Evil Cable" standards!!! I'm impressed, and honestly, I'm so glad I started this thread to help those out there who didn't know how to do this.

Like many of you, I got fed up and frustrated with my cables looking like ASSS since they are all visible in my room and I was not about to pay BIG MONEY to get fancy cables. I personally think this is one of the best mods around for improving your esthetics in room...and yes it too me some time to figure all this out and where to get everything, but now that I have I'm happy to share that info with all of you!

Great Work!!!!!

Evil Cables....Listen to the Darkness!!!

Glad you approve, and love the new slogan!
post #213 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

My 2nd attempt at making bi-amp speaker cables using techflex, heatshrink, and banana plugs, and 1st time working with cable pants and non-Monoprice plugs. They may not be up to the "Evil Standard" yet, but hopefully someday they will!

There's no point in comparing yourself negatively to others.

Your cables are excellent.
post #214 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Ya I'm looking forward to getting them. a pack of 50 (25red/25black) for $43.00 seemed pretty reasonable to me for price, and free shipping to boot!

I use to be pretty heavy into Car audo and Nakamichi makes GREAT ****. I'd be willing to bet their banana plugs will be great.

PS Pm me if you want to make me some speaker cables.
post #215 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post

I use to be pretty heavy into Car audo and Nakamichi makes GREAT ****. I'd be willing to bet their banana plugs will be great.

PS Pm me if you want to make me some speaker cables.

you have a PM my friend.
post #216 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post

I am definitely getting banana connectors. I was going to order the GLS locking connectors but as you already saw, they're all out of stuck until 2/8, last I looked. :-)

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/



http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0534D50.html

$42.96 shipped for 50

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0534B50.html

$36.48 for 50 shipped

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0575G50.html

$108 for 50 shipped locking style
post #217 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

You can shrink the Tech Flex however, you really need to be careful as it will melt if over heated. Where did you order the Nakamichi plugs from? I've only found one website so far, that I posted, but that's it. I'm still looking to order some new plugs soon.

yup just be careful but it works great. I got the Nak plugs off of ebay. 24 plugs for $17. They are the regular bananas since I had ones like you got but I found the degree of tightness was huge between bananas. Hopefully the regular ones won't have that problem.
post #218 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

yup just be careful but it works great. I got the Nak plugs off of ebay. 24 plugs for $17. They are the regular bananas since I had ones like you got but I found the degree of tightness was huge between bananas. Hopefully the regular ones won't have that problem.

well personally I have very high hopes for these "tube" like banana plugs. I'm thinking they'll get the most contact points out of any of the plugs i've tried so far. and hell...they look great! i like the looks fo the GLS ones..but...they look also kinda cheap to me. and for the price I've paid for the Nakamichi ones....it's worth trying them out!
post #219 of 3539
Thread Starter 
ya know... I'm thinking "Experience The Darkness" is a better slogan. Thoughts? Suggestions for others?

Evil Cables.... :-D
post #220 of 3539
Evil - Depth of darkness
Evil - Endless light
Evil - Light the Night
Evil - The Legend
Evil - Slayer Series II
post #221 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post
Evil - Depth of darkness
Evil - Endless light
Evil - Light the Night
Evil - The Legend
Evil - Slayer Series II
did you ever do your cable comparisons? not that I really want it posted in this thread...dont' want this derailed anymore, but a separate post would be interesting to read.
post #222 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I actually got an email notification earlier today that the GLS locking banana connectors came back in stock so I ordered them. They should be here early next week. If I don't like them, I'll give those nakamichi's a go.
post #223 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post
I actually got an email notification earlier today that the GLS locking banana connectors came back in stock so I ordered them. They should be here early next week. If I don't like them, I'll give those nakamichi's a go.
ya I got that notification as well, however, I think the Nakamichi's are going to prove better quality. If you have any extra, I'll swap you a couple of my Nak's for your GLS to do a comparison.
post #224 of 3539
Damn, I wish I saw the update in this thread before I ordered. I ordered exactly the amount I needed otherwise I'd of traded a few with you to compare! Did you get a package of the 50 Nakamichi's? I could buy some from you and try comparing them with results here, but that doesn't help you compare them.
post #225 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post
Damn, I wish I saw the update in this thread before I ordered. I ordered exactly the amount I needed otherwise I'd of traded a few with you to compare! Did you get a package of the 50 Nakamichi's? I could buy some from you and try comparing them with results here, but that doesn't help you compare them.
yes I ordered a pack of 50 of the Nakamichi. I could sell you a few i guess. no big deal..i'll be ordering more and different styles to try out.
post #226 of 3539
They look identical to me except for the name, color, etc. Probably come from the same factory in China.
post #227 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

They look identical to me except for the name, color, etc. Probably come from the same factory in China.

Which look identical? I'm confused
post #228 of 3539
Is there any way to do this with 14 gauge wire?

I recently bought some 14 gauge wire to use as well as banana plugs and if it's only a few bucks for the ends and some of the black sleeve I think this might be totally worth it, because they do look freaking awesome compared to the 'obvious' speaker wire.

Plus I can then tell people I paid like 3$ per wire when they ask where I got the fancy wires =P
post #229 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

Is there any way to do this with 14 gauge wire?

I recently bought some 14 gauge wire to use as well as banana plugs and if it's only a few bucks for the ends and some of the black sleeve I think this might be totally worth it, because they do look freaking awesome compared to the 'obvious' speaker wire.

Plus I can then tell people I paid like 3$ per wire when they ask where I got the fancy wires =P

Shouldn't be a problem using 14 gauge speakerwire.
post #230 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

Is there any way to do this with 14 gauge wire?

I recently bought some 14 gauge wire to use as well as banana plugs and if it's only a few bucks for the ends and some of the black sleeve I think this might be totally worth it, because they do look freaking awesome compared to the 'obvious' speaker wire.

Plus I can then tell people I paid like 3$ per wire when they ask where I got the fancy wires =P

Yes of course! Get 1/4" or 3/8" and you're good to go!
post #231 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

well personally I have very high hopes for these "tube" like banana plugs. I'm thinking they'll get the most contact points out of any of the plugs i've tried so far. and hell...they look great! i like the looks fo the GLS ones..but...they look also kinda cheap to me. and for the price I've paid for the Nakamichi ones....it's worth trying them out!

If you want when I get my regular bananas nak's, I'll send you a couple to try out, to see if you think they are worth ordering. They should be here this week or early next.
post #232 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post


If you want when I get my regular bananas nak's, I'll send you a couple to try out, to see if you think they are worth ordering. They should be here this week or early next.

Sounds good!
post #233 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Which look identical? I'm confused

The locking banana's especially.

OT, but shouldn't this topic be in the "Tweaks and DIY" section?
post #234 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Yes of course! Get 1/4" or 3/8" and you're good to go!

Hm, I don't see a 14 gauge listed for the boots. I am going to email and find out though as I think these would be pretty fun to have I think it probably was an oversight because he has 8/10/12/16 listed.

edit - plus I found this 1/4 inch stuff which seems to be a good deal, and what I need. I would only want the solid black though because I just think that would be best looking


edit #2 - "We do not have this model available for 14 gauge speaker wire"

damn, that's annoying.
post #235 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post


Hm, I don't see a 14 gauge listed for the boots. I am going to email and find out though as I think these would be pretty fun to have I think it probably was an oversight because he has 8/10/12/16 listed.

edit - plus I found this 1/4 inch stuff which seems to be a good deal, and what I need. I would only want the solid black though because I just think that would be best looking

edit #2 - "We do not have this model available for 14 gauge speaker wire"

damn, that's annoying.

Did you go on the knukoncepts web page?
post #236 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Did you go on the knukoncepts web page?


Yeah, they do not have them there either.

Bah, I do not think I can justify spending $20 more on just getting a 12 gauge spool of speaker wire JUST to make nice looking wires lol.
post #237 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post


Yeah, they do not have them there either.

Bah, I do not think I can justify spending $20 more on just getting a 12 gauge spool of speaker wire JUST to make nice looking wires lol.

Why not!!!??? I sure as heck would!!!
post #238 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

Yeah, they do not have them there either.

Bah, I do not think I can justify spending $20 more on just getting a 12 gauge spool of speaker wire JUST to make nice looking wires lol.

Why can't you use 14 gauge speakerwire with a 12 gauge cable boot/pant? If it's a little loose wrap the end with electrical tape.
post #239 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Why can't you use 14 gauge speakerwire with a 12 gauge cable boot/pant? If it's a little loose wrap the end with electrical tape.

I figure, if I'm going to make these, I'm going to make them as good as I can

$30 for some awesome cables... which will make me spend another $30-40 on accessories... aahhhh
post #240 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Why can't you use 14 gauge speakerwire with a 12 gauge cable boot/pant? If it's a little loose wrap the end with electrical tape.

I got the 12ga boot/pant for 12ga wire and I also wrapped mine with electrical tape just for a little bit tighter fit. I would think this should work fine for 14ga.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!