or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 79

post #2341 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

Would 3/8 techflex work with 14gauge speaker wire?

What type of speaker wire, the one with a rubber sleeve or just regular clear speaker wire? I think it should work fine. I used 1/2" for my front 3 speaker, and it was a little bit lose, but not by much. I did the rest with 3/8, and it fit snug for 12 gauge CL2 monoprice speaker wire.

i like a tight fit more LOL

cheers
post #2342 of 3527
Rubber sleeved
post #2343 of 3527
Love all the great ideas and photos of some brilliant work! I am a relative newbie at this stuff so I am trying to determine the correct tech flex size for some wire I had laying around. It is Monster S16-2R-CL inwall wire? Again, "Thank You"!
post #2344 of 3527
I've never done 16 gauge wire. Anyone else?
post #2345 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've never done 16 gauge wire. Anyone else?

Yes I did. I used 1/4 techflex and 8mm pants

post #2346 of 3527
12 gauge use 3/8
14 gauge you can still use 3/8.

1/2 is just too big
post #2347 of 3527
Anyone know where I can get white or beige 8mm pants?
post #2348 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Yes I did. I used 1/4 techflex and 8mm pants


Looking good. I am liking the gold trim.
post #2349 of 3527
Thanks. Here are some better pics from a few pages back.




post #2350 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobirdy View Post

Anyone know where I can get white or beige 8mm pants?

Good luck with that one. I don't think anyone sells different colors. Monster used to sell white ones for over $5 dollars each.
post #2351 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobirdy View Post

Anyone know where I can get white or beige 8mm pants?

I am in the same boat. I wanted to make white cables with white techflex and white pants, but we may have to just settle for black pants. At least, in my case, you wont see the ends of the cables anyways.
post #2352 of 3527
I am only waiting on my wire to arrive on Monday from Monoprice and I will be making my first wires. I am going with carbon for the wrap. I think it will look good with the darker color of my speakers and entertainment center.
post #2353 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

I am only waiting on my wire to arrive on Monday from Monoprice and I will be making my first wires. I am going with carbon for the wrap. I think it will look good with the darker color of my speakers and entertainment center.

carbon is a sharp colour..

cheers..
post #2354 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobirdy View Post

Anyone know where I can get white or beige 8mm pants?

I am in the same boat. I wanted to make white cables with white techflex and white pants, but we may have to just settle for black pants. At least, in my case, you wont see the ends of the cables anyways.

ive thought i saw white techflex at parts express if you need white pants spray paint em...

white cables going to show alot of dirt..

cheers
post #2355 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by PShow View Post

Love all the great ideas and photos of some brilliant work! I am a relative newbie at this stuff so I am trying to determine the correct tech flex size for some wire I had laying around. It is Monster S16-2R-CL inwall wire? Again, "Thank You"!

order up some 10 or 12 awg feed your speakers..

cheers
post #2356 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobirdy View Post

Anyone know where I can get white or beige 8mm pants?

I found some white one for you on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-Cable-Cable-Pants-DIY-Speaker-Cable-boots-Grey-/360510957189?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53f020a685
post #2357 of 3527
You could always Plasti-dip inexpensive cable pants white. Plasti-dip is $8 a can and comes in a variety of colors. The most common application is for painting car bodies & panels. Exposed to the elements Plasti-dip lasts a few years before it starts to crack. I'd imagine it being extremely durable on a pair of cable pants that are hardly ever touched.

Rims painted with white Plasti-dip:
post #2358 of 3527
would bending effect the coating (i.e. make it crack)?
post #2359 of 3527
So this is probably a noob questionbut i want to make sure I order the right gear. I want to make an attempt at making some of these awesome looking DIY cables for my fronts and center. My surrounds will need to be mounted on the wall. My question is about the surrounds. I know I need to purchase in-wall rated wire and plan on getting that from monoprice. I also know i will need a wall terminal plate to have wire from my AVR to the plate which will be on the wall below the AVR. From there I will run wire behind the all. How do I hook up the surround speaker? Is there a special connector or do I just drill a small hole through the wall so I can route the wire out? I wanted to use all bananas but I am guessing they would be too long for the surrounds. Anyway, any advice is welcome. The surrounds I am getting are the Def Tech 8040s.
post #2360 of 3527
Great, thanks guys. My floors and walls are a light color, and I think the rattlesnake tekflex will hopefully look good with the white. Hopefully I can wipe off the 'Monster' logos with paint thinner.

Edit: ebay ones look like the wrong size 11mm - 7mm. Any idea if that will work on 16gauge?
post #2361 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobirdy View Post

Great, thanks guys. My floors and walls are a light color, and I think the rattlesnake tekflex will hopefully look good with the white. Hopefully I can wipe off the 'Monster' logos with paint thinner.

Edit: ebay ones look like the wrong size 11mm - 7mm. Any idea if that will work on 16gauge?

no that will be WAY too big. I used the 8mm and while they are a little loos on the techflex side...around the actuall wire (legs) they were perfect
post #2362 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

So this is probably a noob questionbut i want to make sure I order the right gear. I want to make an attempt at making some of these awesome looking DIY cables for my fronts and center. My surrounds will need to be mounted on the wall. My question is about the surrounds. I know I need to purchase in-wall rated wire and plan on getting that from monoprice. I also know i will need a wall terminal plate to have wire from my AVR to the plate which will be on the wall below the AVR. From there I will run wire behind the all. How do I hook up the surround speaker? Is there a special connector or do I just drill a small hole through the wall so I can route the wire out? I wanted to use all bananas but I am guessing they would be too long for the surrounds. Anyway, any advice is welcome. The surrounds I am getting are the Def Tech 8040s.

i drilled a 1" hole behind where my surrounds are mounted (thus being hidden and not needing a termination plate)...I then just used bare wire to the binding post (i guess you could use spades)



see you cannot see the hole or wire
post #2363 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

would bending effect the coating (i.e. make it crack)?

Plasti-dip is made from a synthetic rubber and offers a bit of flexibility. Unless you intentionally try to crack the rubber coating by working it hard, Plasti-dipped cable pants should hold up very well. I think it's the best option for colored cable pants short of buying extremely expensive Monster brand. It comes in blue, purple, green, white, black, grey, etc spray cans.
post #2364 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

So this is probably a noob questionbut i want to make sure I order the right gear. I want to make an attempt at making some of these awesome looking DIY cables for my fronts and center. My surrounds will need to be mounted on the wall. My question is about the surrounds. I know I need to purchase in-wall rated wire and plan on getting that from monoprice. I also know i will need a wall terminal plate to have wire from my AVR to the plate which will be on the wall below the AVR. From there I will run wire behind the all. How do I hook up the surround speaker? Is there a special connector or do I just drill a small hole through the wall so I can route the wire out? I wanted to use all bananas but I am guessing they would be too long for the surrounds. Anyway, any advice is welcome. The surrounds I am getting are the Def Tech 8040s.

i drilled a 1" hole behind where my surrounds are mounted (thus being hidden and not needing a termination plate)...I then just used bare wire to the binding post (i guess you could use spades)



see you cannot see the hole or wire

Hi Brian.. hope you didnt break your vapour barrier on the one exterior wall...

must have been some work you get your speaker cable to that point...

cheers..

ps bare wire take least space spades would take up less space.. then bananas..
post #2365 of 3527
Yeah needless to say it was a major pia running wire through the exterior wall. Had to go through the basement up to that point so about 12 feet. The major issue was all the insulation. Had to actually make two access holes in the wall to fish it through. Then patch them up and reprint. Not fun
post #2366 of 3527


Edited by nezff - 2/2/13 at 6:40am
post #2367 of 3527
Look great!!! I love that tech flex!!
post #2368 of 3527
Fantastic! Really love the various combinations.
post #2369 of 3527
Cherry color:
post #2370 of 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Cherry color:

Whaaatttt!?!?!?


Where did you purchase that lovely cherry techflex? Do you mind to share that info?

Perfect color to wrap my subwoofers interconnects....cool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!