or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 4

post #91 of 3539
Thread Starter 
I just made 2 x 7 ft cables if anyone wants them in the dark purple 12 gauge w bananas.
post #92 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Pricey? Lol. $1.25 a pair from monoprice.

Way beyond my budget
post #93 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post


Way beyond my budget

Hehehe
post #94 of 3539
Thread Starter 
I want to see pictures if what you guys make!!!
post #95 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Here's one of the 7 ft cables I made tonight
LL
post #96 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I want to see pictures if what you guys make!!!

Will do, although mine wont have the pretty terminated ends like yours. Good work on the pair BTW. I went with the black flex.
post #97 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Here's one of the 6 ft cables I made tonight

Hey Dr. Evil--considering all the cables I'm about to make need to be bi-amp style, those KnuKonceptz cable pants won't really work, right? I like the KnuKonceptz but I'm using Monoprice 12AWG CL2 Rated 4-Conductor for two sets of bi-amp speakers. If not, any suggestions on how to "cover" the ugly red/black/green/white ends on the Monoprice speakerwire? Four thinner pieces of techflex or heat shrink (one for each wire) or leave them red/black/white/green?
post #98 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Hey Dr. Evil--considering all the cables I'm about to make need to be bi-amp style, those KnuKonceptz cable pants won't really work, right? I like the KnuKonceptz but I'm using Monoprice 12AWG CL2 Rated 4-Conductor for two sets of bi-amp speakers. If not, any suggestions on how to "cover" the ugly red/black/green/white ends on the Monoprice speakerwire? Four thinner pieces of techflex or heat shrink (one for each wire) or leave them red/black/white/green?

actually I found this and picked up a few:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Synergistic-Rese...item5192c8039c

just kidding, but I did find this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Pro-Series-Bi-...item5641b33088
post #99 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Ya there are bi wire cable pants out there on eBay
post #100 of 3539
Where are the cable elevators? You know they will make the cable sounds even better.
post #101 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

Where are the cable elevators? You know they will make the cable sounds even better.

I'm working on them!!! Tried some plastic cups..but I'm sure I can do better! :-) maybe some blocks of wood? or golf tees might work? LOL
post #102 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I'm working on them!!! Tried some plastic cups..but I'm sure I can do better! :-) maybe some blocks of wood? or golf tees might work? LOL

what are you talking about? how are you supposed to indicate the direction of (AC) electron flow with a golf tee? THERE'S NO ROOM FOR ARROWS!
post #103 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luma View Post

what are you talking about? how are you supposed to indicate the direction of (AC) electron flow with a golf tee? THERE'S NO ROOM FOR ARROWS!

you've never seen those JUMBO golf tees? hahahahaha
post #104 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

you've never seen those JUMBO golf tees? hahahahaha

kid's stuff. this is all i use for my cables.
post #105 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Hey!!! Not a bad idea at all! I could make a fortune!

btw...if anyone is interested I have an extra 100feet of this stuff in black that I don't need. PM me if you want it!

Back on topic - this was asked but I didn't see an answer. What is that green band around the base of the pants? If it's a channel label you gotta let us in on the secret of where to get `em.
post #106 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luma View Post

Back on topic - this was asked but I didn't see an answer. What is that green band around the base of the pants? If it's a channel label you gotta let us in on the secret of where to get `em.

yes i answered you. it IS a channel label, and they came with my Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver

i was just doign a search and damn.... I can't find ANYONE who sells these. I'm suprised I thought they'd be all over the net!

and actually the stickers that I have aren't very good. they just keep falling off...so i probably won't even use them.

I'm thinking an Avery Label Maker would do the job well and probably better.
post #107 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

yes i answered you. it IS a channel label, and they came with my Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver

i was just doign a search and damn.... I can't find ANYONE who sells these. I'm suprised I thought they'd be all over the net!

and actually the stickers that I have aren't very good. they just keep falling off...so i probably won't even use them.

I'm thinking an Avery Label Maker would do the job well and probably better.

Oh holy crap - I just looked in my NR807 packaging and there they are! You know Pure-Evil I think you got a bad rap. You're not as evil as they say.

edit: I take that back. I forgot that this thread put me into search mode which led to this. A label printer that prints directly onto heatshrink tubing. As a cable nerd this thing sounds freaking awesome and I'll likely be ordering one next week. My wife doesn't thank you.
post #108 of 3539
LOL You guys are bumming me out.

Everyone seemed to recommend monoprice and their great products and prices.

2 days after I purchase their banana and non-banana plugs all I see in this thread is how they are complete garbage.

Honestly they can't be that bad.. can they?
post #109 of 3539
these Cable Pants, you can use heat to shrink them down right?
post #110 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor View Post

LOL You guys are bumming me out.

Everyone seemed to recommend monoprice and their great products and prices.

2 days after I purchase their banana and non-banana plugs all I see in this thread is how they are complete garbage.

Honestly they can't be that bad.. can they?

I love Monoprice and I'm using their bananas without any problems. I recently bought some GLS bananas that are slicker looking and seem to be a little easier to work with than Monoprice bananas. I think you'll be fine.
post #111 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor
LOL You guys are bumming me out.

Everyone seemed to recommend monoprice and their great products and prices.

2 days after I purchase their banana and non-banana plugs all I see in this thread is how they are complete garbage.

Honestly they can't be that bad.. can they?
You'll be okay. 95% of my plugs are monoprice and I haven't had an issue (that couldn't be resolved with the company- their CS is superb).
post #112 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post
these Cable Pants, you can use heat to shrink them down right?
Nope. It turns out heat shrink pants are absurdly difficult to come by, and they're also obscenely expensive. After much research, here's the best I could come up with: http://www.electriduct.com/Heat-Shri...uct_p_516.html

At a little over $4 a boot it's roughly a 1/3 of the price of the cheapest 3M solution which all sell for $13 a piece or more.

I'd stick with the non-shrink pants and just get them in the correct size.
post #113 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
Hey Dr. Evil--considering all the cables I'm about to make need to be bi-amp style, those KnuKonceptz cable pants won't really work, right? I like the KnuKonceptz but I'm using Monoprice 12AWG CL2 Rated 4-Conductor for two sets of bi-amp speakers. If not, any suggestions on how to "cover" the ugly red/black/green/white ends on the Monoprice speakerwire? Four thinner pieces of techflex or heat shrink (one for each wire) or leave them red/black/white/green?
Since I've done a lot of cable sleeving for my HTPC custom wiring, I've now a couple vendors that sell cable sleeving and heat shrink by the foot is almost every (including multi-colored) color you could ever want. I'm a little retentive so I ordered several feet of each to match the color code on the back of the receiver. Think anyone but me will ever care, no... but it makes life a lot less frustrating during hook up and tear down.

Since monoprice offers a limited selection of both sleeving and heatshrink I think it might be better to PM me so I'm not linking a non-sponsor.
post #114 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor View Post

LOL You guys are bumming me out.

Everyone seemed to recommend monoprice and their great products and prices.

2 days after I purchase their banana and non-banana plugs all I see in this thread is how they are complete garbage.

Honestly they can't be that bad.. can they?

No they work fine. The pins just tend to not hold their shape well if you pull them out often. Just use a knife to open them back up if you need to
post #115 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

these Cable Pants, you can use heat to shrink them down right?

Nope
post #116 of 3539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

these Cable Pants, you can use heat to shrink them down right?

I wanted to mention, if you buy the 12 gwg cable pants i posted from KnuKoncepts they fit PERFECTLY on the shielded 12gwg monoprice "white" in wall speaker wire...and over the tech flex...very easily!!!

I have been using some electrical tape to squeeze down the techflex on the ends of the wire, then just pull the cable pants over top of that and there you have it! DONE!
post #117 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I want to see pictures of what you guys make!!!

All right , you asked for the pics so here goes:

I got a couple of cords for Christmas from one of my brothers and I truly have too many already so I thought it would save me an order with BJC or MONO, the tech flex came from E Bay last summer, heat shrink from parts express.
post #118 of 3539

The tech flex , it looks like the same from another in this thread.




Not too shabby I tried the cable pants from parts express and actually thought they looked out of place so I just made a skirt out of 1/2" shrink in black.
post #119 of 3539
heres up close with the GLS locking which I am not really crazy about but they will do for now:



Now these cords have three wires inside black white and green so I made these like this, white is positive at both ends, at the AVR the black only is used at the neg terminal, at the speaker side I have both the black and green twisted and hooked to neg. ( back at the avr side the green ground is nipped flush with the tech flex and buried in the shrink). I read an article about this set up on another site about how this would be beneficial and improve something in the speaker performance and so on and so on , I wish I could link but I lost the bookmark a long time ago but always remembered so I gave it a shot, to be honest I don't hear the difference but I dont have my conk shell insulators in place yet.
These are the first pair of cables I tried so hopefully I will get the knack and pass quality control. I know, yes I will make more , why not, lol.
post #120 of 3539
totally not into DIY stuff.. where can I find good quality cheap speakers cables online ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!