Now that the carpet is done, I am really driven to finish up the theater. I got a lot done since Friday. I began by installing the outlets in the face of the riser and in the floor of the riser.
Then I finished up the connectors in the face and floor for the Buttkickers and subs.
Lastly, I finished up the step lights.
Once those are done, I finally wired the temporary switches for the lights behind the screen, the step lights and the rope lights. I originally was just going to wait for my z-wave switches to come in, but they contacted me to tell me they are on back order until late July. I decided to go ahead and install the temporary switches while I wait. No dimming, but for $1 each, I won't complain.
Unfortunately, the lights behind the screen didn't have the effect I wanted at all. It just lights the screen up white. My son and I tested moving various types of lights around behind the screen and you can't see anything. If you get really close to the screen form behind, you can see a shadow. I don't know if this is because of the random pattern of the weave on my screen? If so, my idea of being able to show off the speakers through the screen is shot. If nothing else, I can use them for working behind the screen.
I also began putting equipment into the rack. No more stacks of boxes being stored in my office. One thing I quickly noticed is that 36U is not as much as I thought. I always was blown away by people who have two full racks. I suddenly realized that I will likely fill mine fast. With the way I have it configured right now, I have room to add a 3 U power processor (more on that in a second) and 3 2U pieces of equipment for my whole house sound. Not even enough room for a drawer to store remotes or a gaming console (not a big deal, don't plan to do much gaming in the theater). Here is how it is currently laid out. One empty shelf is for the DirecTV receiver I haven't moved to the basement. The other two are for planned equipment.
I decided to look into a power conditioner, and possibly a UPS. I am not in a heavily populated area and I have frequent power surges, brown outs and even power outages. My power goes out momentarily multiple times per month. I even have an extended outage (2-3 days) a couple of times a year. I really think I should take every precaution I can to protect my equipment. I have lost equipment in the past. I even lost a router, network switch and modem that I thought were protected when lightening struck and went through the cable line. Apparently they didn't properly ground it . Now I am doing everything I can to protect my equipment. I haven't decided what to purchase yet. Most of the equipment is pretty pricey, so I have some more research to do before making a decision.
With those items complete, I decided to work on the screen wall. I got the bottom brace painted and installed. I then decided to have my son help me install the fabric on the screen. It is a 140" Seymour Screen Excellence EN4K curved screen. We began by laying some plastic on the floor so the white screen fabric wouldn't get any black carpet "fuzz" on it. We then laid out the frame and installed the fabric per the instructions. I was a little nervous about messing it up, but it wasn't bad at all.
I decided not to trim the fabric quite yet just in case I need to make any adjustments. The only thing left to do was hang it.
I then tested out the masking panels
Everything about the EN4K screen is top notch. I am really happy with the quality. The frame is extremely square, the fabric is fantastic - can't detect any weave from the seating position, and the masking panels are simple to install. The only thing I can pick on is the velvet on the masking panels is very, very wrinkly and doesn't sit flat at all. They are big wrinkles. Not a huge deal, but I would have thought they would have put the same effort into the panels as the main screen.
Even though I don't have all of the acoustic panels complete yet, I decided to go ahead and move the chairs in the theater so they don't take up so much space in the rest of the basement. It's great to see them in place. The way they are currently set up (rear seats pulled forward from the rear wall), it is nice, but with both rows fully reclined it would be tight for a middle chair in the rear to get out. I may play around with the position later. I will be moving them forward to work on the back wall anyway.
WIth the chairs in the theater, I decided to mount the Buttkickers (each chair will have a BK Advanced unit). The Fusion Escape chairs have a mounting plate built in and the shaker mounts matched right up. I went to the store and picked up some carriage bolts to mount them. All they had were 1" long and 1 1/2" long bolts. The 1" barely grabbed onto the bolt and the 1 1/2" bolts looked like they were hitting the top of the carpet. I am going to try to find some 1 1/4" bolts.
Hopefully I will have some time in the next couple of days to measure for the rack wiring. I would like to get it ordered soon. My anamorphic lens should be shipping soon, so I will be able to finish the projector mount. I the mean time, I plan to get back to building acoustic panels So I can finish those up.
The to-do list finally starting to shrink.