Even with work being crazy and me scrambling to prepare for the holidays, I still got some time in on the theater. I made some good progress, but I have a feeling that the next steps are going to be more time consuming that I originally anticipated. I hope the results are worth the effort.
I was able to finish the final sanding on the sides of my soffits during the seek. Everything turned out great. With that done, I was anxious to get them painted. I originally was going to wait until this weekend to start painting, but i wanted to see how they looked. In addition, I was looking for an excuse to use my new HVLP spayer
. I stopped and picked up some primer on my way home Thursday. Like the walls, I asked them to tint it as dark as they could. Ended up with a dark gray again. With the primer in place, it really changes the look of the soffits. The soffits and ceiling now look continuous.
I didn't want to shoot the black paint after the light tray was installed, so I painted the perimeter of the ceiling and the sides of the soffit using my sprayer. I have seen black Roscoe paint in person before, but I have never used it myself. It was really easy to work with. Diluting it per the instructions on the can worked really well in my sprayer. It seemed really thin, but I have read other reviews that said the results were not as good when not diluted per the instructions. The only other issue I ran into was spraying the paint too heavy at first. I dialed the sprayer down and then it worked fantastic. It was amazing how painting just the perimeter of the room sucks the light right out of the room. Even with two 500 watt halogen work lamps, it was noticeably darker in the room. That's ok - that's exactly what I was looking for.
With the perimeter painted, I wanted to try out my idea of veneering my light tray with oak. I did one of the small sections of the soffit in the rear of the theater to start with since it was easier to work with the smaller pieces. First I cut and attached the bottom of the soffit. I rounded over the edges before installing.
Next I glued and clamped the edge of the light tray.
While waiting for the glue to dry, I cut the hole for the can light and filled the screw holes.
After a final sanding, I wrapped the soffit in white oak veneer. In the past when I have veneered I have used contact cement, but I can't imagine trying to use it overhead. It is hard enough on a bench in front of you, but with gravity working against me, I just couldn't see it being very easy. I decided to go with a PSA adhesive attached. It ended up working out great. It made it much easier to work overhead.
Even thought the edges were rounded over, I was worried that the corners may be too sharp and could cause the veneer to split. Luckily, working it slowly, it worked out fine. I am still a bit worried about finishing the rest of the light tray, but I will just need to take my time and work carefully.
I have to admit, I am very pleased with the results so far. If the rest of the light tray comes out this good, it will be well worth the effort.