Don't tell GetGray that I said this, but I think I AM jinxed. My plan was to leave work early on Friday, have an early dinner since everyone else had plans, and then spend the entire evening finishing the prep for stain. This included cleaning, some touch ups on the veneer and a few other miscellaneous items. I figured I had about 4 hours of work to do before I began staining.
Since things always seem to go wrong for me when it comes to the theater, why should this weekend be any different. Fifteen minutes after I finished eating dinner, the power went out. I don't live in a major metropolitan area, so the power goes out frequently and often is out for more than a day. I do own a generator, but just my luck once again, the carb seemed to be clogged and I couldn't get it to run properly. I had no parts and it was getting dark, so I knew that there was no chance of getting anything done in the theater that night. This pretty much killed my plan to bust through the staining this weekend.
With a little bit of luck, the power did come back on early Saturday, so I began the cleanup that I planned for the night before. I put several hours in this weekend and made some good progress.
Here is a photo of the drywall I did on the closet last weekend. Originally I had planned to make some shelving there, but I think I am going to put the cold air return across the top at the front and put a door below it. That will give me a small closet to store a vacuum, the rails to slide my rack out and the masking panels for my screen.
With several hours of touch up and cleanup out of the way, I finally was ready to start staining. Step one was to apply the mahogany grain filler. I thought I didn't like sanding overhead with a power sander. Rubbing in this grain filler and then wiping it off with steel wool was about the same amount of fun. It was a fair amount of work to hand rub all of the veneer - the columns, soffits and trim.
Everything came out great. I got it all done. The only thing that came up was a slight variation in some of the veneer caused the pieces to be darker than the samples I did. I should have thought about this, but all of the samples were cut from the same piece of veneer. I don't think it will be a huge issue. Hopefully the stain doesn't end up too dark.
This is only the grain filler - no stain yet. The color varies more in these pictures than it really does, but you can get an idea of what it looks like.
One of the columns:
Some of the trim:
Luckily, most of the remaining steps allow me to spray the stain and poly. Shouldn't be as labor intensive to finish the remaining steps. A couple of notes - The grain filler goes a long way. You can mix it with turpentine and it will go on a lot easier and last longer. It is not water based like the other products I am using, so it does smell. I wore a respirator the entire time I was in the theater and plugged the cold air return to prevent it from stinking up the entire house. There is a slight smell in the rest of the house. My wife noticed it. A friend of mine recommended burning a candle in the middle of the room to help burn off some of the gases/fumes. Keep in mind that this stuff is flammable and you shouldn't have a candle burning when spraying flammable items. I only lit it after I was done and cleaned up at the end of the day. I don't know if it will help, but I found a few people on the internet who claimed it works.
The room also seems darker now. Slowly, but surely it is starting to feel like a theater.
One other note, my GOM fabric came in Friday (Thanks Scott!!). Can't wait to start making my wall treatments.
I was originally hoping to put in more time this weekend and have the staining done. Maybe even have the clear on. That obviously didn't happen with the power outage. I may be able to spray some stain this week. Then I need to find a day to hang the trim. I was hoping to take a day off of work to get it done, but with work being so busy, that isn't likely in the next week.