Thanks Vik. No, I will have acoustic treatments on the doors that match the walls.
Thanks Damelon. I definitely got lots of inspiration from your build. I started out years ago drooling over Sandman's theater and then incorporated several of your improvements. Just to save you the shock later - I will be doing red and black fabric on the walls (surprise, surprise). Of course I had to do the veneer so that something was different than yours . I just hope my theater turns out half as nice as yours did.
Thanks for the tip on the fabric. I noticed the first column I mocked up was tight even without the fabric. I am trying to figure out how much space is right.
Sandman's theater is still one of the top home theaters out there. Especially if you consider that it was DIY (with the help of friends). I love the round columns and really wanted to do something similar, but trying to find the right curved plywood was costly. Plus, the speakers I am building wouldn't fit in them well. It was a worthwhile compromise. The other compromise I made was not having the star ceiling. My ceiling height is too low to even consider it.
Mario's theater is stunning. Nothing over the top design wise - just perfectly executed. The fit and finish appears to be top notch.
I have 4 zones of can lights - behind the screen, screen wash, sides and rear. I also wired for step lights, but really like the LED strips people have put under the lip. Lastly, I will have an LED rope light in a lip around the perimeter of the soffit. I wanted color changing 120V LEDs, but that isn't cost effective at this point, so I will likely just go with red dimmable LEDs.
I am building my own frames. I am layering plywood and MDF so that I can chamfer the edges. I am looking at a similar pattern to you and Sandman for the panels. I will have one narrow black horizontal panel above the top trim. There will be side-by-side vertical red panels above the chair rail. Lastly, I am going to do a couple of horizontal black panels at the bottom above the base trim. I was wondering how the fabric would hold up over time. I am debating painting the frames to help hide them behind the fabric. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. I am hoping the panel building goes quickly. I feel like I am finally getting close. I would love to knock a bunch of the panels out over Memorial Day weekend.
I confirmed with Bryan that I do not want to put paper on the front bass traps. He said that you want 100% absorption on the front wall and only want to reflect highs in the rear of the theater. I am going to stick with the original plan unless measurements show otherwise.
I continued to make some progress this week. I finished up the frames for the speaker/column grills. I have 4 of them covered in fabric. The columns look great with the grills in place. I am really glad I took the time to put the black dividing stripes between the trim. It really ties the column together.
The four rear columns are deeper because they will house my surround speakers. I wanted room to angle them if necessary.
The front columns are "false columns". They really are only there to balance out the look of the room, so they are only half as deep.
Since there is a false column right inside the door, I decide that would be a great place to mount my scene selector to control the lights in the room (besides using a remote). I had to develop a bracket to mount the electrical box so that it could be hidden behind the fabric on the column.
This is one of the two columns I still need to put the fabric on. I have it cut for both, so hopefully I can finish up during the week.
I had previously cut a bunch of strips of MDF for my acoustic panels. I finally picked up the plywood for the frames today and cut all of the strips. Now I have everything I need to finish the panels. I glued up the first two today. Once the glue is completely dry, I will chamfer the edges before wrapping them with fabric. I hope to take advantage of the long weekend and knock several panels out.
It may be time to start calling carpet installers to discuss pricing and measuring...