or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo HT-RC270 Official thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo HT-RC270 Official thread - Page 8

post #211 of 721
Anyone have harmony one remote with this receiver? I'm trying to figure out how to program it when using the network capabilities, the menu buttons on the original remote take so long to respond, I can't tell which button is doing anything...

I'd love to be able to program the remote so I can hit one button, and it can change stations in Pandora, or Slacker...but I don't even know how to change channels on Pandora with the original remote, without hitting a bunch of buttons...
post #212 of 721
I don't think they make a hardware switch that does what you want, ie zone2/zone3 switching. I think you can get a receiver with that ability, but you will probably pay a lot for it. It may make more sense to get two less expensive receivers, or get a some sonos components.

As for networking, it works for me, but not great, it loses connection a lot. and I have a router that is very highly rated. I'm not sure of the problem yet. I'm still trying to figure out a smooth way to play to the receiver, so I can control it remotely. I am about to try XBMC. I have gotten it to work with Win Media player, but that is so basic, and it is quite clunky...I tried Twonky-without any luck.
post #213 of 721
Hey guys;
All my cables and accessories finally showed up ther other day, so today I spent the day getting my onkyo setup. I took all my components out of my entertainment center, put the speaker stands together, ran all the speaker wire and connected them up to the receiver with some banana plugs, and then carefully hooked all my components back up. I then turned it on, but I got no video from any of my HDMI sources (ATT UVerse, Western Digital TV Live Media player). The manual also said if I have the TV hooked directly via HDMI I should see the setup on my TV. I didn't see that either. Now I did notice the only video I got was from my old Xbox (not 360) I hooked up to the receiver as well, but via the component video in (cbl/sat connection I believe). I noticed when I switched to that input I got a picture, but didn't get a chance to check the audio. My connections are made as the following:

ATT Uverse Cable Receiver HDMI 4 (Game input)
WD TV Live media player HDMI 5 (PC input)
*Xbox Component Video (CBL/SAT component video input)
*Old DVD player Component Video (BD/DVD video input)
(* the audio connections for those devices are connected via R/W RCA jacks to the audio inputs labeled with the same labels for the component video inputs)

Halfway through messing with this stuff all my ATT Uverse "sheet the bed" and everything stopped working (phone/internet/TV) so I had to put it on hold and spend almost 2 hours on the phone with a tech rep to get all that stuff working again. I told him I was just trying to get my receiver setup and then everything stopped working. He said I shouldn't be connecting my Uverse receiver up to anything but the TV and that if I hook it up any other way it will cause problems. I know that is BS, but whatever I said and hooked it back up directly to my TV. He had to do some crap on his end (rebooted my gateway and uverse receiver a bunch of times/ran tests, etc.) but eventually one by one each thing was working again (took forever to get the UVerse Receiver to work for some reason-but eventually I had my tv channels back). After that I was too tired and irritated to continue and put it off until tomorrow. I was hoping that someone could shed some light on my possible problems. Some questions I have are:
1) Do I have to assign the HDMI inputs or turm them on somewhere or should I just be able to select one (i.e. game button on front of receiver) and see a picture if the device is on because that is what would make sense to me?
2) Since I used the component video inputs for CBL/SAT and BD/DVD for my xbox and DVD player I put the HDMI devices on the game and PC HDMI ports Does is matter what HDMI ports I use?

I will be honest I didn't read much through the manual. After spending most of the day running wires, fishing cables, moving compenents and re-arranging them, then dealing with ATT tech support I just ran out of steam. I am sorry if there is some section of the manual that explains this, but after some quick flipping through it I didn't get anywhere. If anyone can offer me some suggestions I would appreciate it. One more thing, all the HDMI connections were made with new HDMI cables (the thicker 24 gauge ones) from monoprice. After doing an online chat with a tech guy there, he recommended them to help with minimizing handshake issues (I believe that was what he said) when it comes to HDMI devices going through the receiver to the TV. Maybe I should try my $1.50 HDMI cables I got from meritline instead to see if that is the problem. In the meantime my Uverse box is hooked back up directly to my TV (with the cheap meritline HDMI cable) so the wife can watch TV until I figure this receiver out. Sigh...

PS-Sorry I am a total noob to all of this. My last receiver is a 15+ y/o pioneer reciver that only had a pioneer 6-disc CD changer hooked up with a pair of bookshelf speakers. This is all new to me...
Thanks guys.
Mav
post #214 of 721
Hi m4v3r1ck, HDMI ports should be plug-n-play. Suggest to reset the receiver microprocessor and hopeful this will correct any glitches.
post #215 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguarnotta View Post

I just tried slacker radio, and I'm not getting any static at low volume like I did with pandora. I'm not really sure of the reason, but I'll give slacker a try for now. I had not used it before. Thanks for the tip...

Back here to edit this-actually i am getting static with slacker too.

We'll now you know at least that it is not Pandora.

I don't know if this could really be the cause, but maybe you have a bad network connection? Do you have a media server you could connect to and see if you get the same static? I'd try another cable, that would be a nice easy fix.
post #216 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguarnotta View Post

Anyone have harmony one remote with this receiver? I'm trying to figure out how to program it when using the network capabilities, the menu buttons on the original remote take so long to respond, I can't tell which button is doing anything...

I'd love to be able to program the remote so I can hit one button, and it can change stations in Pandora, or Slacker...but I don't even know how to change channels on Pandora with the original remote, without hitting a bunch of buttons...

I'm using a Harmony Remote (unfortunately not the One). I'm doing this from my limited memory so sorry if I get it wrong. The trick to me was understanding that the RC270 remote was changing modes. If you going into the Harmony app to customize the buttons you'll see the mappings you need like (Net/USB up, Net/USB left ...) If you want, tonight I can take a look at the mappings I created.
post #217 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post


Im listening to music from my '10 macbook pro streaming with xbmc to my onkyo 708 as I type this. You have to be sure you download the multiroom audio add on and scan your library.

Thanks a ton looking forward to trying it tonight.
post #218 of 721
I have ordered the onkyo 270. I also use a harmony remote. I woud like to know how you have mapped on the lcd screen for the harmony.

Jacob
post #219 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi m4v3r1ck, HDMI ports should be plug-n-play. Suggest to reset the receiver microprocessor and hopeful this will correct any glitches.

Okay. Is there just a reset button on it or do I have to go into a setup or something?
Thanks
Mav
post #220 of 721
Okay-after playing around I got some video now. I didn't do the reset someone mentioned-all I did was swap out the supposed "better HDMI" cables for some cheaper regular HDMI cables I got from meritline.com and now I got video and can see the setup menu on the screen. Let me warn everyone-do not buy the following HDMI cables from monoprice:

6ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Net Jacket - Black

Now I just hope I don't run into any problems with the rest of their cables (the cable I got to hook up the sub, and the speaker wire).

I also was able to successfully do the firmware update via my network, so that is done. Now I can finally start setting this damn thing up. Two questions:

1) Can I hook up an HDMI device and a component device on the same input. For example, the WD media player via HDMI to input 1 (CBL/SAT) and my xbox via component video to the component video input 1 (CBL/SAT).

2-If I decide to hook my uverse TV receiver/cable box back up to the TV if the receiver is off will if still allow the video and audio signal to the TV? I want to make sure the wife can watch TV and not worry about touching my receiver.
Thanks,
Mav
post #221 of 721
Okay-I found my answer to question #2 after looking back through this thread to page 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmid4 View Post

Thanks for the response, I did find this to be true. I was able to solve my issue by looking at another Onkyo thread, you need to go to Hardware Setup --> HDMI --> and all Audio TV Out, HDMI Control, and Audio Return Channel need to be on. Now the pass thru light comes on and the last input is sent through when in standby! Seems odd because I am not using any of these "features" but they have to be on for pass thru, and the manual has no mention (that i can find).

Under 7-Hardware setup-> 3-HDMI I changed the following:

Audio TV Out: On
HDMI Control (RIHD) On
Audio Return Channel: Auto
Power Control: On
TV Conrol: Off

Now if I turn the receiver off the "passthrough" light comes on and a few seconds after that I can watch TV normally. Now I just have to remember to make sure to set it to that input before I shut off the receiver. Wish there was a way to setup a default input.
post #222 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post

Okay-after playing around I got some video now. I didn't do the reset someone mentioned-all I did was swap out the supposed "better HDMI" cables for some cheaper regular HDMI cables I got from meritline.com and now I got video and can see the setup menu on the screen. Let me warn everyone-do not buy the following HDMI cables from monoprice:

I ran into an issue similar to your when I setup my HT270. I had purchased the high speed with ethernet hdmi cables from Monoprice. During the setup, everything was working. I ordered the 6 foot cables to hook up my components to the receiver and a 10 footer for the hookup to my TV. The next day, I had no video on the TV. Tried reseating the cable and eventually swapped it out for an older one and suddenly had video again. Have not contacted Monoprice on the issue yet.
post #223 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I have ordered the onkyo 270. I also use a harmony remote. I woud like to know how you have mapped on the lcd screen for the harmony.

Jacob

This is what I am using for iRadio:

Standard Buttons
Button Device Command
Mute AV Receiver Mute
Volume Up VolumeUp
Volume Down VolumeDown
Channel Down
Channel Up
Prev Net/UsbReturn
Up Net/UsbUp
Down Net/UsbDown
Left Net/UsbLeft
Right Net/UsbRight
OK Net/UsbSekect
Menu Net/UsbMenu
Exit Net/UsbTopMenu
Guide
Info
Stop Net/UsbStop
Skip Back Net/UsbPreviousTrack
Skip Forward Net/UsbNextTrack
Play Net/UsbPlay
Record
Rewind
Fast Forward Net/UsbForward
Pause Net/UsbPause
Additional Buttons
Label Device Command
Net/USB InputNet/Usb
TopMenu Net/UsbTopMenu
post #224 of 721
thanks

Jacob
post #225 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post

1) Can I hook up an HDMI device and a component device on the same input. For example, the WD media player via HDMI to input 1 (CBL/SAT) and my xbox via component video to the component video input 1 (CBL/SAT).

Glad you got it going

In regard to #1, the answer is yes, but the 270 will
follow a priority, when selecting which input type to use.
See page 22, "Signal Selection". HDMI is top priority then
Component, VGA, S-Video and Composite. You will need to
power off higher priority devices, to select a lower priority
source (turn off WD media player, to see Xbox).
post #226 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post

Okay. Is there just a reset button on it or do I have to go into a setup or something?
Thanks
Mav

Parts of the receiver remain active, even in Standby. Pulling the AC cord
should force those subsystems to reset. JChin might know a better way.
Also, on Page 5 of the manual, bottom right, there are instructions for resetting
all of the non-volatile parameters (Turn on receiver, then hold VCR/DVR button
and press On/Standby).
post #227 of 721
Quote:


I just tried slacker radio, and I'm not getting any static at low volume like I did with pandora. I'm not really sure of the reason, but I'll give slacker a try for now. I had not used it before. Thanks for the tip...

Back here to edit this-actually i am getting static with slacker too.

Are you referring to occasional pops, that appear in quiet moments in
the song, or during heavy sonic changes, and tend to come and go, but
not more often than about one per second? If so, I think I hear it.
I did some experiments. The pops do not appear to be an analog signal
effect. They do not get amplified, when the volume is increased, or the
Intellivolume is changed. I do not hear the same effect on other sources.
Only iRadio. I also do not hear the same effect, when playing music via DLNA server,
which should use the same digital to analog conversion channel as iRadio. This
leads me to believe that the problem is coming from lost/incorrect packets or bugs
in the iRadio buffering/rendering/filtering. Certain bit rates seem to be worse than
others. Using VTuner, I hear more pops when the station is outputting 64Kbps, 16 bit,
22.05KHz. I do not hear as much, when the station is outputting 128Kbps, 16 bit,
44.1KHz. However it can get very noticeable, even at 128Kbps, during certain songs.
Especially light percussion solos etc. The effect reminds me of listening to a turntable
on a slightly torn speaker. It does well, except during certain segments, that
aggravate the tear. Dust on the record provides the random pop. To test where
the problem lies, we would need to try feeding the source in from a PC or media
streamer. If a PC can render the the music, without pops, then it is not likely a
packet issue. I am still puzzled by the pops not being amplified. This might
suggest the pops are null gaps in the rendering, or some sort of coupling between
the preamp and amplifier stages, post amplification. Hooking a separate amp to
the preamp outputs might shed some light there.

On a side note, for those who are researching the 270, this is not a huge problem.
iRadio sounds pretty darn good, even with the occasional imperfection. Much better
than old school FM. It could just use a bit more attention, on Onkyo's part, to make
it "silky smooth" ...

V=IR
post #228 of 721
The remote is extremely to the point of unusability when playing 3d movies through the receiver. The knobs and buttons on the actual receiver work fine. But it seems to lose the ability to quickly receive IR signals from the remote when playing 3d movies.

Any solution or do I have a defective unit?
post #229 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_muggle View Post

This is what I am using for iRadio:

Standard Buttons
Button Device Command
Mute AV Receiver Mute
Volume Up VolumeUp
Volume Down VolumeDown
Channel Down
Channel Up
Prev Net/UsbReturn
Up Net/UsbUp
Down Net/UsbDown
Left Net/UsbLeft
Right Net/UsbRight
OK Net/UsbSekect
Menu Net/UsbMenu
Exit Net/UsbTopMenu
Guide
Info
Stop Net/UsbStop
Skip Back Net/UsbPreviousTrack
Skip Forward Net/UsbNextTrack
Play Net/UsbPlay
Record
Rewind
Fast Forward Net/UsbForward
Pause Net/UsbPause
Additional Buttons
Label Device Command
Net/USB InputNet/Usb
TopMenu Net/UsbTopMenu


Thank you for posting this, what a timesaver! Have used the vTuner/iRadio/Pandora extensively, no pops or problems and have been surprised by how good the quality is on some of the stations.
post #230 of 721
Seeing as how bb no longer sells the 1120 pio I might be going with this... how well does it stack up? I'm very interested in the pandora as I use it all the time. But I'm not real happy about the limited input selection in compairson. Why can't you name your own inputs?
post #231 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Seeing as how bb no longer sells the 1120 pio I might be going with this... how well does it stack up? I'm very interested in the pandora as I use it all the time. But I'm not real happy about the limited input selection in compairson. Why can't you name your own inputs?
I was looking at both and am probably going with the RC270. They pretty much stack up the same. There is a 708 vs 1120 difference thread, then all youll need to do is take out the inputs that 270 is missing to stack up against the 1120.
Heres the thread with the 708 vs the 1120:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277801

I ahvent been able to find a professional review of the RC270 however, so we cant stack actual output against each other, but if you find a 708 review, Im sure it owuld be the same. Hometheatermagazine did a review of the 1120, where it seems to show a lacking of power in the 5 channel config. Im guessing your "limited input selection" reffers to the not being able to custom name your inputs?
post #232 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by korrode View Post
The remote is extremely to the point of unusability when playing 3d movies through the receiver. The knobs and buttons on the actual receiver work fine. But it seems to lose the ability to quickly receive IR signals from the remote when playing 3d movies.

Any solution or do I have a defective unit?
Try replacing the batteries. You may have gotten a weak set.
The added interference from the TV etc may be making the remote
IR output too weak to register well.
post #233 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I was looking at both and am probably going with the RC270. They pretty much stack up the same. There is a 708 vs 1120 difference thread, then all youll need to do is take out the inputs that 270 is missing to stack up against the 1120.
Heres the thread with the 708 vs the 1120:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277801

I ahvent been able to find a professional review of the RC270 however, so we cant stack actual output against each other, but if you find a 708 review, Im sure it owuld be the same. Hometheatermagazine did a review of the 1120, where it seems to show a lacking of power in the 5 channel config. Im guessing your "limited input selection" reffers to the not being able to custom name your inputs?

Correct
post #234 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguarnotta View Post

I don't think they make a hardware switch that does what you want, ie zone2/zone3 switching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguarnotta View Post

As for networking, it works for me, but not great, it loses connection a lot.

Thanks for your reply, kguarnotta. I hemmed and hawed for a long time and I realized that, no matter what AVR I was looking at, I was always comparing it as a runner-up to the Denon 3311CI. So when I spotted the 3311CI for $808, I bit the bullet and went with that.
post #235 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

I finally got around to doing the Audyssy setup. I'm sorry to say I'm extremely underwhelmed.

There's almost no bass and the surround speakers are way too loud. With music it's like I'm listening to rear stage with front fill. With movies I have to really crank it up to hear the dialogue, no way to listen at moderate volume and hear people talking.

I set the microphone up in four positions when doing the setup. Maybe I'll try six and see how that goes tomorrow.

Anyone else having trouble like this?

Haven't been to this thread in a few weeks and want to update my previous comments (in the above post and a few that followed).

I was extremely harsh on this receiver based on programming on Palladia HD. I incorrectly assumed that Palladia was a source of really high quality HD music concert programming. But the stuff I was listening to was crap. I read some reviews of Palladia's concerts and there's a lot of complaints about their 5.1 audio mix. A lot of it is really crappy and that's not the receiver's fault.

Using the receiver over the last couple of weeks I've realized that it sounds great when the source is good. They Audyssey settings are good enough but I turned the volume knob up a bit on my subwoofer to get a little more bass than Audyssey gave me.

There are a lot of listening modes and sometimes too many options can get confusing. What mode are you guys using to listen to DD 5.1 sources? I have a 5.1 speaker setup so there are a lot of options. It seems that listening in DD, THX Cinema or THX Music are the best options. But other 5.1 -> 5.1 options are pure audio, direct, multichannel and maybe others. Makes your head spin. Consensus best?

For stereo -> 5.1 is there a consensus on whether DPLII or DTS Neo:6 is better?

Does anyone use the DSP listening modes?
post #236 of 721
Hey V=IR, As far as static type noise, and your description,
I think your assesment is pretty damn good...although I think I would assess the static type noise as similar to being slightly off when tuning in a radio station.

I do have a separate amp hooked up to zone2 lineout. This is for additional zone 2 speakers. I do not get this static type noise in zone 2. I'm not sure exactly what that means...
post #237 of 721
Hey old_muggle,

THANKS...that helps a lot, I had some of the basic stuff, but you helped with a lot of them! One thing I added was an on/off for my tv, as I don't always want that on when listening to net radio. Have you figured out a way to program different stations into the remote? I have a couple different Pandora stations, and it would be great to have them on the additional buttons screen, so I could just hit one button. I'm updating my remote now, based on your suggestions. I may try to add a sequence, as I think that may be the only way to do this. One other thing, I want to add the 2nd zone feature, as I am using two zones, and I would like to be able to change listening modes...I'll post if I figure anything out in this area.
thanks again...
post #238 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

There are a lot of listening modes and sometimes too many options can get confusing. What mode are you guys using to listen to DD 5.1 sources? I have a 5.1 speaker setup so there are a lot of options. It seems that listening in DD, THX Cinema or THX Music are the best options. But other 5.1 -> 5.1 options are pure audio, direct, multichannel and maybe others. Makes your head spin. Consensus best?

For stereo -> 5.1 is there a consensus on whether DPLII or DTS Neo:6 is better?

Does anyone use the DSP listening modes?

Yeah I am overwhelmed and confused by the almost infinite number of options. I was wondering are you supposed to match the listening mode to the broadcast/recorded mode? ie if I am watching a movie on cable, it may say DD in the description of the movie, as opposed to a DVD which may say DD 5.1, or just DTS...and I am assuming there are more...
post #239 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

Using the receiver over the last couple of weeks I've realized that it sounds great when the source is good. They Audyssey settings are good enough but I turned the volume knob up a bit on my subwoofer to get a little more bass than Audyssey gave me.

There are a lot of listening modes and sometimes too many options can get confusing. What mode are you guys using to listen to DD 5.1 sources? I have a 5.1 speaker setup so there are a lot of options. It seems that listening in DD, THX Cinema or THX Music are the best options. But other 5.1 -> 5.1 options are pure audio, direct, multichannel and maybe others. Makes your head spin. Consensus best?

For stereo -> 5.1 is there a consensus on whether DPLII or DTS Neo:6 is better?

Quote:


Yeah I am overwhelmed and confused by the almost infinite number of options. I was wondering are you supposed to match the listening mode to the broadcast/recorded mode? ie if I am watching a movie on cable, it may say DD in the description of the movie, as opposed to a DVD which may say DD 5.1, or just DTS...and I am assuming there are more...

Ditto, there is a lot to play with (in a good way) ...

I have been primarily focusing on the issues, and learning about
the unit, so I have not commented much on my overall impression of the
RC270. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a gem of a receiver. It has
excellent sound, and ample power. Once setup properly, the sound quality
is terrific for both music and movie sources. Even bargain basement HTIAB
speakers, sound good on this unit. That's saying a lot. Considering the
features, the price (Amazon deal) and the sound quality, you really can't
go wrong with this receiver.

Regarding Audyssey setup, I noticed some notes in the manual about
THX recommending adjusting your SW separately. Checkout page 31 of
the manual.

Here are my current favorites for Listening Modes:

Stereo sources => Stereo mode, with 2.1 speakers (old school)
-or-
Stereo sources => DTS Neo:6 Music
5.1 Misc => THX music
Bluray => DDTrueHD

V=IR
post #240 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguarnotta View Post

Hey V=IR, As far as static type noise, and your description,
I think your assesment is pretty damn good...although I think I would assess the static type noise as similar to being slightly off when tuning in a radio station.

I do have a separate amp hooked up to zone2 lineout. This is for additional zone 2 speakers. I do not get this static type noise in zone 2. I'm not sure exactly what that means...

Yeah, that's a good way of describing it. Just slightly out of tune ...

I need to think about that one more. If it's not present on the preamp outs,
then it is not likely anything to do with the rendering/source, unless the the
preamp outs receive an additional level of filtering. It could be post
receiver, but I can't explain why it would not show up on other
sources. My speaker wires are pretty thin, and route in parallel
for a distance, before separating (leftovers from old setup). It is
possible they are influencing each other, especially the undriven
channels (only use 2.1 for stereo sources).

Do you have any similarities in your setup?

V=IR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo HT-RC270 Official thread