I have asked a few questions here and gotten terrific answers, so I am just letting everyone know how my build is progressing. I have been reading through all Assassin's guides and, while it is a lot to digest, I am getting a flavor for the recommendations and I expect I'll consult them thoroughly when the time comes to begin assembly and software installation.
For background, my first computer build was a 386 machine (don't want to say how long ago that was
). But, the last system I put together has been almost ten years ago, so I am really rusty and out of date. That was a dual AMD Athlon system, 2GB memory, 15K SCSI disk. I used Athlon XP processors that I modded with some solder to make work as MP processors. It is still my main system, which is pretty good life. It's water-cooled with only a couple of floods over the years.
I have been playing around with an old under-powered laptop to just get a feel for WMC and XBMC - sort of a test run installing software according to the guides, and playing with the Homerun. I have ordered all the parts for the real HTPC and am waiting for their arrival. Here's what it looks like:
- ASRock Z77M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33225
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
- nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
- PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 400W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply
- OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
- LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature SATA IHBS112-04 - OEM
- HD-HR3 Homerun dual tuner
- Rosewill RRC-126 Windows 7 Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control with Netflix Function
No doubt I've made some stupid decisions, but I'd be glad to hear from anyone on what I can do better. I'll post pics as I go.