Originally Posted by DaveGA
I've turned it on just to make sure it works. I'm glad this thread is so active. If Doubledownavs didn't ask about the power connection, I would have made the same mistake.
A few questions prior to going further:
1. The Samsung HD looks like it was manufactured in December 2010. Should I do a firmware update prior to installing Windows?
2. Along those same lines, when I turned the computer on, it showed a screen that asked about IDE or AHCI for the HD, but only gave 3 seconds to answer whatever question it was asking. Then moved on to "No operating system...." Should the drive be set as AHCI?
3. Finally, any other changes to the BIOS before I install Windows?
A great many thanks to all who lend a hand!
Excellent! Pics? (How come no one is posting pics, btw?!?)
I am so glad that you have that bad boy up and running.
What experiences can you share? How did you like the case, stock CPU fan, PSU, etc? What else did you learn? Etc?
1. I have read on other forums where some people have not been updating the Dec 2010 firmware and have been fine (including one of my friends). However I would recommend that you take the few minutes to do this as it is not at all hard to do. I would do it after you have installed windows - it won't delete or change anything on your hard drive.
Don't forget to partition about 50GB for you OS.
2. I'd set it as AHCI. You can do that in bios.
3. None that I can think of. Make sure bios has your RAM set to the proper speed. Otherwise there isn't a whole lot of adjustments that you need (or want) to make.
AND POST PICS!!!