or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 503

post #15061 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis104 View Post

Assassin that's great! I'll be ordering my parts next week. I see some really good potential in this. I seen Missing Remote, Andrew Van Til with one out at CES. I got to meet your brother at CEDIA. I was hoping to see you guys would be at CES. I need to purchase your Server guide. Keep plugging!

I won't have it tested before you order. Its on my list though. I have a couple other things I am looking at.

BTW my brother and other members of our team were at CES. We just didn't have a booth. We had a very busy and productive week at CES.
post #15062 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I won't have it tested before you order. Its on my list though. I have a couple other things I am looking at.

BTW my brother and other members of our team were at CES. We just didn't have a booth. We had a very busy and productive week at CES.

Cool. Glad to hear things are going well. I seen another case that I'll try to post later. A company out California that is making Core i3/i5 OEM small form-factor machines. I'll wait until you get a chance to test the NUC before I order mine. Not in a big rush. Thanks!
post #15063 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfarrey View Post

Regarding Bluray rips, I rip mine using MakeMKV. I am able to play them directly in the standard WMC and XBMC players using the Shark007 codec installs. (See Assassin's guide on the configuration).

My rig is built inside an ML03 case - but I have the A8-5500 Trinity processor FM2 chipset. My processor has plenty of clearance if that's what you are worried about.

Just to help clarify. XBMC doesn't need or use Shark007 codecs. Not in its standard form. I will second that MakeMKV works quite well. Occasionally when it doesn't work DVDFab seems to work fine.
post #15064 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfarrey View Post

Regarding Bluray rips, I rip mine using MakeMKV. I am able to play them directly in the standard WMC and XBMC players using the Shark007 codec installs. (See Assassin's guide on the configuration).

My rig is built inside an ML03 case - but I have the A8-5500 Trinity processor FM2 chipset. My processor has plenty of clearance if that's what you are worried about.


When I say bluray rips I mean straight copies of a bluray disc without any conversion to mkv or whatsoever, So ISOs or BDMV folders.
post #15065 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis104 View Post

I was wondering have anyone here tried using the Intel NUC as a HTPC yet??? I searched the thread and haven't seen any post on it. I'm considering trying this out. Specs look good for a Media Player. I seen one at CES and love the small form-factor. Your thoughts??? Here is a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102002



Regarding the NUC: Is it WiFi only or is tere a wired LAN connection too? I don't know if WiFi is enough for streaming high bitrate movies.
post #15066 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post

When I say bluray rips I mean straight copies of a bluray disc without any conversion to mkv or whatsoever, So ISOs or BDMV folders.

MakeMKV puts your bluray rip into a MKV container without touching the actual title. No loss of quality. Works great.
post #15067 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post

Regarding the NUC: Is it WiFi only or is tere a wired LAN connection too? I don't know if WiFi is enough for streaming high bitrate movies.

yes. It has a wired internet connection (lan).
post #15068 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

yes. It has a wired internet connection (lan).

Are you sure? I don't see it here:

http://techreport.com/review/23888/review-intel-next-unit-of-computing

Are there different versions?
post #15069 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post

Are you sure? I don't see it here:

http://techreport.com/review/23888/review-intel-next-unit-of-computing

Are there different versions?

Look at the link that was posted above.
post #15070 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post


Is anyone using the ML03 case from Silverstone? Would an Asrock A75M with AMD A6-3670K fit in it? Or do I need another cooler? Perhaps the Prolimatech Samuel 17?

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=157

plus 120 mm fan?

The ML03 accepts a max CPU cooler of 70mm.
If you don't already have the case, I would seriously advise you to go to the mfg website and download the manual.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=283&area=usa

There are limitations on the CPU Cooler, The PSU, and ODD if you plan on using one.

According to the specs on the Prolimatec Samuel 17, the heatsink is at 45mm in height, which means the a standard 120mm fan (25mm) could possibly contact the top of the case (total 70mm), and cause vibration noise. You might have to go with a thinner fan, less than 25mm thick.
post #15071 of 15901
Looks like the black NUC has a RJ45 but the red doesn't.
post #15072 of 15901
Hello again! Built my 2nd HTPC and it's working smooth as butter.

Here is my current item of interest: On my main HTPC, I have a 2TB HDD that has two partitions, one for the OS (C Drive) and one for media storage (M Drive).
The OS partition is getting close to full and I've been thinking about adding another 2TB or so to the system and extending the OS partition a bit to leave more room.

If I do add a 2nd HDD, is there a way to add that new storage in the M Drive or does it have to be a separate partition and drive letter? It would be much simpler to keep all storage on one drive.

Thanks!
post #15073 of 15901
Is it just me or has there been a change to MakeMKV? Mine suddenly stopped ripping DVD/Blurays, anyone else? I skimmed this thread and did not see anything listed.
post #15074 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembrey View Post

Is it just me or has there been a change to MakeMKV? Mine suddenly stopped ripping DVD/Blurays, anyone else? I skimmed this thread and did not see anything listed.
Got the current key? http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
post #15075 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

MakeMKV puts your bluray rip into a MKV container without touching the actual title. No loss of quality. Works great.


Don't see the point in doing that. I guess the menus will be lost? And this won't work for bluray ISOs.
post #15076 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post

Don't see the point in doing that. I guess the menus will be lost? And this won't work for bluray ISOs.

Menus are lost

Does work from ISOs

Shrinks the file size a little if you're not interested in extras

Nobody (Plex or other) can transcode an iso for remote stream (as far as I know) but MKV works great
Edited by Dark_Slayer - 1/16/13 at 1:23pm
post #15077 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Menus are lost

Does work from ISOs

Shrinks the file size a little if you're not interested in extras

Nobody can transcode and iso for remote stream (as far as I know) but MKV works great

You can actually select the extras and keep them, just no menu. I know XBMC has the ability to play titles other than the main title from MKV. YMMV

Folder, iso and mkv all work great for bluray in my experience. The differences don't matter to me. To each there own.
post #15078 of 15901
Are the current builds from the hardware guide 3D ready with HDMI 1.4?
post #15079 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post

Are the current builds from the hardware guide 3D ready with HDMI 1.4?

Depends on the platform.
post #15080 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Menus are lost

Does work from ISOs

Shrinks the file size a little if you're not interested in extras

Nobody (Plex or other) can transcode an iso for remote stream (as far as I know) but MKV works great

I don't transcode. Don't see the need for that.
post #15081 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post

I don't transcode. Don't see the need for that.

Mostly just a gimmick for watching things on a tablet or smartphone while away from your home network
post #15082 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis104 View Post

Assassin that's great! I'll be ordering my parts next week. I see some really good potential in this. I seen Missing Remote, Andrew Van Til with one out at CES. I got to meet your brother at CEDIA. I was hoping to see you guys would be at CES. I need to purchase your Server guide. Keep plugging!

I won't have it tested before you order. Its on my list though. I have a couple other things I am looking at.

BTW my brother and other members of our team were at CES. We just didn't have a booth. We had a very busy and productive week at CES.

Sounds like your stepping up and out. Great to hear your at least making the connections necessary to help all us HTPCHeads stay in the game smile.gif
post #15083 of 15901
silversone GDO5 case comes with 3 120MM fans.
looking from the front of the case 1 fan on left and 2 fans on right
I tried your solution on the 5V fan changed the 1x3 adapter that comes with the case and moved the 12v side to the 5v
only the left fan would spin up.
I unplugged it and trying all of them one at a time left works, OR right front works, will not work together.
The right rear will not work.
so I tried some other things and no matter what I tried I can not get the right rear fan to spin at less than 12V.
I made 2 5v adapters and have the left and right front working at 5v.

again nothing I have done has got the right rear fan to spin at less than 12v

has anyone seen this before?
post #15084 of 15901
I've tried searching but wasn't able to find this.

Does anyone know if there is a setting or add-in for WMC / Media Browser that allows you to stretch 4:3 content to fill a widescreen display by default? XMBC has this option. I see you can manually change the Zoom (option 4 looks best as it dynamically stretches content to fit widescreen), but you have to manually change this each time you watch a video. Then if you watch widescreen content you have to manually switch it back.

Would be helpful to have an option to always automatically stretch 4:3 content while leaving widescreen content alone. Since XMBC has this option, I wondered if anyone knows of this same thing for WMC / Media Browser?

Thanks!
post #15085 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

silversone GDO5 case comes with 3 120MM fans.
looking from the front of the case 1 fan on left and 2 fans on right
I tried your solution on the 5V fan changed the 1x3 adapter that comes with the case and moved the 12v side to the 5v
only the left fan would spin up.
I unplugged it and trying all of them one at a time left works, OR right front works, will not work together.
The right rear will not work.
so I tried some other things and no matter what I tried I can not get the right rear fan to spin at less than 12V.
I made 2 5v adapters and have the left and right front working at 5v.

again nothing I have done has got the right rear fan to spin at less than 12v

has anyone seen this before?

Did you try it in the 7v configuration?
post #15086 of 15901
I would like to program my Harmony One issue an Escape (esc) command but don't see Esc in the options. Am I missing something?
post #15087 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

silversone GDO5 case comes with 3 120MM fans.
looking from the front of the case 1 fan on left and 2 fans on right
I tried your solution on the 5V fan changed the 1x3 adapter that comes with the case and moved the 12v side to the 5v
only the left fan would spin up.
I unplugged it and trying all of them one at a time left works, OR right front works, will not work together.
The right rear will not work.
so I tried some other things and no matter what I tried I can not get the right rear fan to spin at less than 12V.
I made 2 5v adapters and have the left and right front working at 5v.

again nothing I have done has got the right rear fan to spin at less than 12v

has anyone seen this before?

Does your motherboard have a 3-pin fan header? I'd recommend getting a 3-pin 3-way fan splitter and hooking it up to your mobo's fan header if so. I do this on my GD05 and let the BIOS control my case fans, 500-600rpm idle and dead silent. Only above 800rpm do I ever hear it.
post #15088 of 15901
anyone using this in their HTPC?

ASUS P8Z77-V LK ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

wanted to get some feedback on how its been treating you, thanks. I think its $80 @ Microcenter after rebate and with CPU combo.
post #15089 of 15901
Assassin -- I signed up for the paid guides last night but cant seem to access them? I just get looped back to the guide contents page. I could be missing something obvious. If it is a manual process on your end the delay is certainly understandable.

Thanks.
alburtis
post #15090 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alburtis View Post

Assassin -- I signed up for the paid guides last night but cant seem to access them? I just get looped back to the guide contents page. I could be missing something obvious. If it is a manual process on your end the delay is certainly understandable.

Thanks.
alburtis

Sorry for the delay. Give it a try now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide