or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 513

post #15361 of 15901
This is my first build and I'm looking for some assistance. For some reason I can't get Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master to bitstream to my receiver. I've been following the guide up to the point after you install LAV Filters, when I run the Monogram graph studio it keeps showing Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder. I deleted the LAV Filters and did the Shark007 with the same results. I found an earlier thread indicating the process to change this is in Tab 8. Which Tab is Tab 8, the miscellaneous Tab? I have been working on this for over a week and can't find a fix, I know its something simple I'm over looking but decided to ask here before I turn this into a boat anchor. And I don't even own a boat.

My build consist of:
Intel i7 3770S Processor
Asus Maximus V Gene
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2X8GB)
Corsair Force GT 120 GB SSD
Streacom FC10 Case

I ran the audio test in windows for 7.1 speakers. Windows shows the following supported sample rates of: 44.1kHZ, 48.0kHZ, 96.0kHz and 192.0kHz. And the following encoded formats: DTS audio, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. So, I'm good to go there.

My receiver is a Denon AVR-4308Ci that I know will play DTS HD Master and Dolby True HD because I seen it play from my Denon DVD-3800Ci.
I'm using an HDMI cable to the AVR and plan to use an external DAC for playing music in the next couple months.
JRivers Media Center 18 will be the operating system.

Yes I know the components are way overkill for this build but I',m considering doing more than just the HTPC with this down the road.? eek.gif

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.
And let me say Thank You in advance to anyone offering helpful information.
Edited by C17FXR - 3/10/13 at 1:40pm
post #15362 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17FXR View Post

And the following encoded formats: DTS audio, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. So, I'm good to go there.

No, you are NOT good here.
If DTS-HD and TrueHD do not show up here, then you cannot bitstream them either.
This is an EDID issue. There is an active thread here that will help you solve this issue.
post #15363 of 15901
What app are you using to play videos with DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD? You won't get the proper audio unless you select the right settings and each app is different in this regard (i.e., TMT5, PDVD, XBMC, etc.).
post #15364 of 15901
Anyone using this MB ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M?? Was looking at the ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 but realize it might be a bit overkill.
post #15365 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCandler View Post

Anyone using this MB ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M?? Was looking at the ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 but realize it might be a bit overkill.

I and quite a few others use the Pro4-m since it was one of the cheapest $50 off motherboards at Microcenter for a while. There's only a few differences

Extreme4 - 8+4 phase , 8x/8x for SLI/Crossfire, and different looking heat-spreaders
Pro4 - 4+2 phase, 16x/4x for Crossfire (don't know if it accepts SLI)

Difference in power design is only noticeable for overclocking. SLI/Crossfire is overrated IMO, but if you want that the multi pci lane configurations should be considered
post #15366 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I and quite a few others use the Pro4-m since it was one of the cheapest $50 off motherboards at Microcenter for a while. There's only a few differences

Extreme4 - 8+4 phase , 8x/8x for SLI/Crossfire, and different looking heat-spreaders
Pro4 - 4+2 phase, 16x/4x for Crossfire (don't know if it accepts SLI)

Difference in power design is only noticeable for overclocking. SLI/Crossfire is overrated IMO, but if you want that the multi pci lane configurations should be considered

I really do not need it to do anything special but for the price seems like the way to go. I am currently running a ASrock Mini-itx and love it so that helps the decision as well.

Thanks for the heads up.
post #15367 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

What app are you using to play videos with DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD? You won't get the proper audio unless you select the right settings and each app is different in this regard (i.e., TMT5, PDVD, XBMC, etc.).

Using JRiver MC18, went through and set up everything according to their requirements and still nothing.
Plus its looking to be like Shark007 posted, still reading through the thread he posted trying to figure out what I need to do.
I don't get much time during the day to work on this so it will be slow going for a bit, plus its just a project for my hobby.
post #15368 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCandler View Post

Anyone using this MB ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M?? Was looking at the ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 but realize it might be a bit overkill.

I ended up going with the Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard from Micro Center, and ended up getting it for like $75 after $50 bundle discount when buying my processor.

If you don't need any specialized features in the more expensive motherboards, they most likely are overkill. Depending on whether you are buying your processor from Micro Center at the same time as your MB, you should be able to get a MB that will do what you need for $80 (with bundle discount), or maybe $130 (without bundle discount). From what I could gather when I did my research, for the most part, regardless of brand most of the Z77 motherboards in the same price range end up having very comparable features. So you can't really go wrong with whichever you like best.
post #15369 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCandler View Post

Anyone using this MB ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M?? Was looking at the ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 but realize it might be a bit overkill.

I used the Extreme4 (not the "M" version) in a Server re-build this week with a G2130 Processor and 8 gig of RAM.

Booted right up without issues.
post #15370 of 15901
I have an Extreme4 both M and normal ATX.

Both are great boards.

I also have a PRO3 in my Server. And Extreme3 in my parents PC I build them.

Some of my favorite boards out. Extreme4 is a very good value and option for just about anything IMO.
post #15371 of 15901
I'm having trouble with XBMC Frodo and the Aeon Skins. When i add the Aeon MQ repository then go back to "Get Add-Ons" all the Aeon skins (MQ3, MQ4, MQ4 SC) show as broken and i cannot update or do anything with them.

I did not install this frodo update by the way. One day i had Eden and it was working, and the next day i had Frodo with no skins. All my movies and tv shows were accessible under the video menu, but none of my genres or menu buttons were saved.

Not sure what to do from here as i don't want to move further in the guide until i have the menu buttons configured the way i like from Aeon MQ3.

Any suggestions?
post #15372 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeisher View Post

I'm having trouble with XBMC Frodo and the Aeon Skins. When i add the Aeon MQ repository then go back to "Get Add-Ons" all the Aeon skins (MQ3, MQ4, MQ4 SC) show as broken and i cannot update or do anything with them.

I did not install this frodo update by the way. One day i had Eden and it was working, and the next day i had Frodo with no skins. All my movies and tv shows were accessible under the video menu, but none of my genres or menu buttons were saved.

Not sure what to do from here as i don't want to move further in the guide until i have the menu buttons configured the way i like from Aeon MQ3.

Any suggestions?

Mine was working fine. Not sure why it is showing up as broken.

Try using Aeon Nox which is one of the standard available skins (no repo needed).
post #15373 of 15901
This is not directly related to HTPC per se. I have a retired/dying Dell XPS 420 which was used as an HTPC. What appears to be dying on it is the hard drive (500GB WD). I have a 750 GB Hitachi which is reformatting right now (on that machine, should have used my i5 HTPC).

I would like to 'swap' OS drives, but, after spending several hours reading the various methods, I'm not sure what is the best way. Originally I thought I could use the Back-Up utility inherent to Vista 32, however, that does not create a bootable disk (and now I'm reformatting). It is slightly out of my geek zone but given some of the advice I've gotten here in the past I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I downloaded DriveImageXML, as many post on Tom's HW or CNET referencing cloning the drive (some say,clone the drive, and simply swap them).

The Hitachi (connected via SATA, directly to the board) shows up in the boot sequence BIOS screen, but, I don't know how to make this drive bootable.

Ultimately I'd like to 'upgrade' this machine... put Win 7 x64 and add some new stix (it has a Quad Core G660...), perhaps a new video card... it is a nice case, great cooling (CPU fan is loud), but being that it is going to be used primarily by children, I'd like to try and salvage it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.... I have a Win 7 disk from last year when I built my i5... I also have the OS recovery disk from Dell (Vista 32) and a 'D' recovery drive partition.
post #15374 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Mine was working fine. Not sure why it is showing up as broken.

Try using Aeon Nox which is one of the standard available skins (no repo needed).

I ended up doing a clean install and everything worked fine with the skin. Now, however, i'm having trouble playing back 1080p animated movies. Everytime they change scenes or seemingly at random, i will get a colored static bar across the screen.
post #15375 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeisher View Post

I ended up doing a clean install and everything worked fine with the skin. Now, however, i'm having trouble playing back 1080p animated movies. Everytime they change scenes or seemingly at random, i will get a colored static bar across the screen.

Turn off dxva.
post #15376 of 15901
Hey Assassin


I have been a member on your blog for HTPC and soon to be server guides. I have a Norco 4224 right now. I have outgrown the whole need for wanting a huge case like that in my av rack in my theater room. Still loud even with the 120mm fan board upgrade. I have it loaded right now with 16 drives for storage and a small 2.5 drive for the OS ( non SSD ). I am getting my build list together right now according to your guides. I use AnyDVD and TMT5 right now and wanting to switch to Mediabrower asap. Especially using my ipad to browse movies.

My qustion is i have over 800 movies ripped to ISO since i used Anydvd to rip all my movies when using my Norco. I am so tired of having to skip through menus, trailers, and all the other mess before you can actually get to the movie. So basically i want to know if i can rerip all those ISO files to MKV. Also would help so i can just add WDTVs around the house to grab movies from this new build and play them. Can i rerip them and also not lose any quality ? I have experimented on my laptop. I ripped TED blu ray to the hard drive with Anydvd. Then i opened up Makemkv and tried to figure out which file to grab. I have experimented on my laptop taking a Anydvd iso file and converting it but not sure on the file i should be grabbing. I grabbed the BDMV folder, then i grab the second to last file called " Movie Object" I am guessing this is the right one as it comes up with the info and ripped it in Makemkv ? Will i lose any picture quality re ripping a iso to a mkv ?

Thanks. Even though i have built quite a few PCs now, i am looking forward to going a new direction and building a new HTPC with your guides.
post #15377 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post

Hey Assassin
...
My qustion is i have over 800 movies ripped to ISO since i used Anydvd to rip all my movies when using my Norco. I am so tired of having to skip through menus, trailers, and all the other mess before you can actually get to the movie. So basically i want to know if i can rerip all those ISO files to MKV. ...
MakeMKV will accept files (including ISO) as input. It just re-packages the content into an MKV container so it is lossless. Usually the largest file is the right one. MakeMKV is also pretty quick. I repackaged a DVD ISO (4.7GB) in about 1.5 minutes.
post #15378 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

MakeMKV will accept files (including ISO) as input. It just re-packages the content into an MKV container so it is lossless. Usually the largest file is the right one. MakeMKV is also pretty quick. I repackaged a DVD ISO (4.7GB) in about 1.5 minutes.

+1 for this approach.
post #15379 of 15901
You have to be careful with MakeMKV and regular DVD's though. Apparently there are two plays on DVD's they can pu the aspect ratio information and either MakeMKV only checks one or gets confused. I had some workout videos I was converting for my wife, but with MakeMKV they can out all stretched. I ended up just using handbrake instead since I didn't care about them being a lossless conversion.
post #15380 of 15901
Make that +2. MakeMKV will rip every single title on a disc as separate mkv files if you want to keep all of the extras. Otherwise, just pick the largest file on the drive and select the audio and subtitle languages and let 'er rip. The nice thing about ripping individual files is that you can label them according to their content and pick and choose to play them without having to wade through the introductory crap before you can even access the menu. If you're not sure of which ones to keep then rip them all and then delete the ones you don't need.

I barely have time to watch movies these days so I just rip the main title. Some discs can be confusing as they may have multiple large files and it's tough to decide which is the main movie. Chances are they may be slight variations of the main title with different scenes thrown in. Usually the first large file is the one you want, but there are exceptions. I usually rip the first large one and then do a spot check to make sure it's the one I want. If it isn;t, then I'll rip the next one and so on. Fortunately, most Blu-Rays aren't like this and you can usually get away with a single ripping cycle to get it done.
post #15381 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

You have to be careful with MakeMKV and regular DVD's though. Apparently there are two plays on DVD's they can pu the aspect ratio information and either MakeMKV only checks one or gets confused. I had some workout videos I was converting for my wife, but with MakeMKV they can out all stretched. I ended up just using handbrake instead since I didn't care about them being a lossless conversion.
MakeMKV just rips the movie in the same format as it is in the disc. If they play back stretched then you simply need to adjust the aspect ratio of your display. You're probably using the incorrect zoom setting on your TV. IIRC, Handbrake re-encodes the video and compresses it. I've never used it myself so I'm not entirely sure. MakeMKV does absolutely no compression so there's no loss in quality.
post #15382 of 15901
I understand that I just pick the largest file on makemkv. I just was not sure which file to pick from the iso rip from anydvd. I pick the file that is named movie object in the bdmv folder. Doesn't show a large size at all but when I put it in as a input on makemkv, it does bring the movie title ( Ted ) and I am able to rip it just to a movie and all the rest of makemkv features. I just wanted to make sure which file from the anydvd rip to grab. I ripped that same movie using makemkv and no iso, it turned out to be a different size file than the iso rip to mkv. That's what had me wondering. I played back the file no problem. E tire movie was there. Just didn't know if I am better off reripping everything with a physical disk or make sure I am grabbing the right iso file.
post #15383 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

MakeMKV just rips the movie in the same format as it is in the disc. If they play back stretched then you simply need to adjust the aspect ratio of your display. You're probably using the incorrect zoom setting on your TV. IIRC, Handbrake re-encodes the video and compresses it. I've never used it myself so I'm not entirely sure. MakeMKV does absolutely no compression so there's no loss in quality.

I googled the problem I had, and what I got back was what I wrote above. I guess when it changes the container, it doesn't always include the aspect ratio info. I don't need to adjust my display, the videos played just fine straight from the DVD. Handbrake does re-encode, but it has to read the aspect ratio info correctly or they would come out stretched as well.
post #15384 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post

Hey Assassin


I have been a member on your blog for HTPC and soon to be server guides. I have a Norco 4224 right now. I have outgrown the whole need for wanting a huge case like that in my av rack in my theater room. Still loud even with the 120mm fan board upgrade. I have it loaded right now with 16 drives for storage and a small 2.5 drive for the OS ( non SSD ). I am getting my build list together right now according to your guides. I use AnyDVD and TMT5 right now and wanting to switch to Mediabrower asap. Especially using my ipad to browse movies.

My qustion is i have over 800 movies ripped to ISO since i used Anydvd to rip all my movies when using my Norco. I am so tired of having to skip through menus, trailers, and all the other mess before you can actually get to the movie. So basically i want to know if i can rerip all those ISO files to MKV. Also would help so i can just add WDTVs around the house to grab movies from this new build and play them. Can i rerip them and also not lose any quality ? I have experimented on my laptop. I ripped TED blu ray to the hard drive with Anydvd. Then i opened up Makemkv and tried to figure out which file to grab. I have experimented on my laptop taking a Anydvd iso file and converting it but not sure on the file i should be grabbing. I grabbed the BDMV folder, then i grab the second to last file called " Movie Object" I am guessing this is the right one as it comes up with the info and ripped it in Makemkv ? Will i lose any picture quality re ripping a iso to a mkv ?

Thanks. Even though i have built quite a few PCs now, i am looking forward to going a new direction and building a new HTPC with your guides.

Before buying and re-ripping a lot of stuff, note a couple things

  • XBMC plays iso w/o any 3rd party mounting requirements and typically works for the main title only
  • If you don't already own the WDTVs, I'd consider these a much better investment LINK
  • Most (not all) mediabrowser users are locked into WMC for copy-once liveTV, afaik the WDTV isn't a WMC extender. If you are looking for a WMC extender that can handle full BD iso rips, it simply does not exist. Your either stuck with liveTV extension capabilities and no full-rip w/ hd audio support on xbox or Ceton Echo. If you are just looking for a content streamer, then the barebones or Pivos Xios are better choices IMO. There's also Plex -> Roku, but the person saying they had iso support on the Roku through the plex channel was actually referring to "main-title" only iso files http://www.lehsys.com/2012/06/roku-with-plex-playing-isos-very-cool/
post #15385 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post


I barely have time to watch movies these days so I just rip the main title. Some discs can be confusing as they may have multiple large files and it's tough to decide which is the main movie. Chances are they may be slight variations of the main title with different scenes thrown in. Usually the first large file is the one you want, but there are exceptions. I usually rip the first large one and then do a spot check to make sure it's the one I want. If it isn;t, then I'll rip the next one and so on. Fortunately, most Blu-Rays aren't like this and you can usually get away with a single ripping cycle to get it done.

Can you explain how you spot check? If I'm not familiar with the content I won't know if the chapters are out of order.
post #15386 of 15901
If there are a multiple titles and you can't figure out which one you can try a search for the right track. I haven't found the answer every time but it can work. Really helpful for discs with 30+ "main titles."
post #15387 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Take a look at my MKV guide. There are ways to change the minimum time which really removes a lot of the files that aren't the main title as possible options.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=39#guide3
post #15388 of 15901
List for new HTPC build

1. Ivy Bridge i3-3225 3.3 GHz Dual Core – $145
2. ASRock H77 Pro4-M - $90
3. Ram but i wanted to go with a 8 gig setup. What do you recommend ?
4. Crucial M4 128GB SATAIII - $125
5. SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body Lascala Series LC20-B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case $ 125
6. ** I have 16 drives and will fill the Silverstone case with 7 storage drives and use a SSD for the OS
7. ** I have a lite on blu ray drive already
8. Also have a corsair 850watt modular ps
Am i missing anything ? Want something that will run smooth with 1080p as well as 3D

Going the Assassin's route with this build. Have a Norco 4224 fully loaded. Just too big. It was fun for a while. Now want to go a different route and lose the TMT5 playback and AnyDVD. Like Makemkv. Finally no more watching preview after preview when i just want to watch the movie !!! I like the eye candy of MediaBrowser for sure !
Edited by keithkeith - 3/18/13 at 11:24pm
post #15389 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Take a look at my MKV guide. There are ways to change the minimum time which really removes a lot of the files that aren't the main title as possible options.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=39#guide3

I've done that - - and finally set the preferred language so I don't have to check/uncheck as many boxes. I don't know why I didn't do that sooner. But some discs, I think the last Twilight is one, have over 30 main title length tracks listed. I looked it up and found the right one. Anybody know if there is one site that keeps track of all these?
post #15390 of 15901
Just google the movie and makeMKV and you'll find a thread on it. Only issue is that somethings the rental and the purchase disc have differences so you need to to check what people are referrencing when the post.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide