or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 523

post #15661 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

Of course I also donate to developers who offer useful freeware.

The world is full of cheapskates!

+1
post #15662 of 15900
Hey

I now have xmbc all setup and have installed plug ins. I have a problem though. YouTube works like a charm but epson, amazon, MTV video all say script failed ! I have tried to refresh and restart xmbc but still have the same issues. Is this a known problem and if so is there a way to correct this ?

Thanks !
post #15663 of 15900
Are you sure that you're using the latest versions of the plugins. Unfortunately if the plugins are already updated there's not much you can do. I would search in the XBMC forums to see if someone has a fix.
post #15664 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

Are you sure that you're using the latest versions of the plugins. Unfortunately if the plugins are already updated there's not much you can do. I would search in the XBMC forums to see if someone has a fix.

I'm guessing the plug ins are updated. I used assassins guides to put all the plug ins onto XMBC. Is there a way to update them ? I just keep getting script failed errors. It would be nice to have the amazon plug in since I have a membership and epson and all since I'm a huge sports fan. The plug ins were one of the reasons for me to switch from Media Browser to XMBC
post #15665 of 15900
Thread Starter 
Check the xbmc forums. There's no way for me to keep up with the hundreds of plugins.
post #15666 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post

The plug ins were one of the reasons for me to switch from Media Browser to XMBC

You are aware you can use both? Depending on your needs, it may be more trouble than it's worth, but there is no technical reason to use one OR the other.

post #15667 of 15900
What would 1.5tb wd green drives be worth out of warranty?
post #15668 of 15900
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

What would 1.5tb wd green drives be worth out of warranty?

I am guessing about $30-$40 or so.
post #15669 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I am guessing about $30-$40 or so.

Assassin,

I was looking through your web site briefly yesterday, where do you have recommended hardware setups? I remember reading one a while ago, but can't find a new one.

Thanks
post #15670 of 15900
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Assassin,

I was looking through your web site briefly yesterday, where do you have recommended hardware setups? I remember reading one a while ago, but can't find a new one.

Thanks

I haven't added Haswell yet. It will be added asap.
post #15671 of 15900
I've caught "glimpses" of complaints about Intel driver issue with Windows 8, XBMC and Haswell (maybe just HD4400). What have you heard/seen? I haven't done any testing myself yet. I learned the (really) hard way with Trinity, the next version of anything even if the previous version were gold can still be problematic, especially just after release. With Haswell I've seen complaints of the latest driver install failing because it supported HD4600, not HD4400 and "glitches" in the XBMC GUI. But, nothing super definitive or conclusive -- a thread here or there.
post #15672 of 15900
Graphics driver for Core i3-4130 and Pentium (Haswell) is available only from mb manufacturers' site.

- 9.18.10.3165 (Intel Download Center) does not support Core i3-4130 / Pentium (Haswell).
- 9.18.10.3186 (ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE websites) and 9.18.10.3215 (MSI website, this is the latest) support Core i3-4130 / Pentium (Haswell).

Update

- 9.18.10.3257 is available from Intel Download Center, that supports graphics in all IVB / Haswell processors.
Edited by renethx - 9/12/13 at 11:01pm
post #15673 of 15900
I'm really not so sure this is the right time to upgrade. Haswell does have it's problems. First the thermal paste used under the shell doesn't work as well as it did in the Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge chip sets. Secondly they put the voltage regulator on the die. Bottom line it runs very not, not a situation you wish for in a HTPC. I'm going to wait for the next Intel chip Broadwell which if I'm guessing right will have no voltage regulator (it will go back on the motherboard) and will be the first to support DDR4.
post #15674 of 15900
Thermal interface material (TIM) is

SNB: fluxless solder
IVB: thermal paste (less efficient in transferring heat)
Haswell: thermal paste (less efficient in transferring heat)

But TIM problem applies mainly to Core i5 / i7 (a quick fix is use a good aftermarket cooler). Nobody considers this a serious problem with Core i3 / Pentium / Celeron IVB as well as Haswell.

Integrated voltage regulator: This is good for idle (~20% less power consumption than IVB), bad for full load (~10% more power consumption than IVB). Again, this could be a problem with Core i5/i7 "K" (a better cooling is necessary than IVB), but I hardly see it a problem with Pentium / Core i3 Haswell in HTPC. Actually Pentium / Core i3-i7 Haswell is pretty good for HTPC even from the thermal viewpoint only:

~30W at idle
~40W at DXVA2 + EVR video playback (SD to full HD contents in a full HD screen), ~50W (SD to 4K UHD contents in a 4K screen)
~70W max at software decoding + madVR

with a Z87 mb + a 430W 80 PLUS PSU. The results are better than IVB.

If you already have a good working IVB system, Haswell may not bet worthwhile, of course.
post #15675 of 15900
At some point, my surround sound stopped work. I noticed it for the first time last night when watching a ripped movie. Here is my CPU and motherboard.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G620

When I built this, I bought the guides and pretty much have followed them straight through. Everything used to work just fine. Now I only get 2.1 sound from the PC.

My receiver does not use the audio stream from the HDMI cable so I have a S/PDIF connection carrying the audio to the receiver and HDMI for video to the TV.

I've tried updating the Intel drivers and LAV splitter and the problem did not go away.

On the realtek optical out properties panel, DTS Audio produces no noise. Ripped BluRays and Assassin's DTS-HD test file are 2.1 while Assassin's TrueHD test file is totally silent.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #15676 of 15900
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBobS View Post

At some point, my surround sound stopped work. I noticed it for the first time last night when watching a ripped movie. Here is my CPU and motherboard.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G620

When I built this, I bought the guides and pretty much have followed them straight through. Everything used to work just fine. Now I only get 2.1 sound from the PC.

My receiver does not use the audio stream from the HDMI cable so I have a S/PDIF connection carrying the audio to the receiver and HDMI for video to the TV.

I've tried updating the Intel drivers and LAV splitter and the problem did not go away.

On the realtek optical out properties panel, DTS Audio produces no noise. Ripped BluRays and Assassin's DTS-HD test file are 2.1 while Assassin's TrueHD test file is totally silent.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Spdif cannot pass True-HD and can only pass the core file of the DTS-HD. You need to use HDMI for HD audio.
post #15677 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Spdif cannot pass True-HD and can only pass the core file of the DTS-HD. You need to use HDMI for HD audio.

Fair enough but why all of a sudden have the rear speakers gone quite. Whatever format was being pushed from the spdif before (DTS?) was making them work. I verified they are working by using the receivers test sound generator. Something has changed and I suspect it had to do with a Windows update since I'm careful to not jack with this PC.

Most of this is greek to me so I followed your guide pretty much to the letter. Once I got it working, I've left it alone. Maybe I should use this as an excuse to dump my receiver and get one that processes audio from the hdmi feeds. The old Sony I have only passes the audio in an hdmi feed.
post #15678 of 15900
Hi Assassin,

In your blog's hardware guide, you mentioned that any Intel processor with HD 2500 can do 3D + HD Bitstream. This link here and here says 'Intel HD (Ivy Bridge)' is equivalent to HD 2500. Can a processor such as Intel G2020 do the same 3D + HD bitstreaM?
post #15679 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBobS View Post

Fair enough but why all of a sudden have the rear speakers gone quite. Whatever format was being pushed from the spdif before (DTS?) was making them work. I verified they are working by using the receivers test sound generator. Something has changed and I suspect it had to do with a Windows update since I'm careful to not jack with this PC.

Most of this is greek to me so I followed your guide pretty much to the letter. Once I got it working, I've left it alone. Maybe I should use this as an excuse to dump my receiver and get one that processes audio from the hdmi feeds. The old Sony I have only passes the audio in an hdmi feed.

I had this on my surface pro once. I finally "fixed' it be disabling all other playback devices.

Sounds like something is set to downmix to stereo though. I'd check the settings on your receiver
post #15680 of 15900
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post

Hi Assassin,

In your blog's hardware guide, you mentioned that any Intel processor with HD 2500 can do 3D + HD Bitstream. This link here and here says 'Intel HD (Ivy Bridge)' is equivalent to HD 2500. Can a processor such as Intel G2020 do the same 3D + HD bitstreaM?

No. Only the "i series" (i3, i5, etc) can do 3D. The others have it disabled.
post #15681 of 15900

In case anyone else has been waiting for the Lenovo backlit keyboard to be on sale again:

 

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=57Y6678&category-id=19E53DDB3AA94DC79929C42FF06FBF21&&hide_menu_area=yes

 

$32 plus tax, free shipping

 

code: USP1S426678

post #15682 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

In case anyone else has been waiting for the Lenovo backlit keyboard to be on sale again:

$32 plus tax, free shipping

code: USP1S426678

Thanks, I'm going to try this out for that price.
post #15683 of 15900

I've been using the non-backlit version. Some of the keys are in weird places (I wouldn't want to type my memoirs on it), but it works well and I prefer the trackball to the trackpads I've tried.

post #15684 of 15900
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

In case anyone else has been waiting for the Lenovo backlit keyboard to be on sale again:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=57Y6678&category-id=19E53DDB3AA94DC79929C42FF06FBF21&&hide_menu_area=yes

$32 plus tax, free shipping

code: USP1S426678

Thanks. Just ordered two. I love these things for the price.
post #15685 of 15900
To good to pass up, went ahead and got one also.
post #15686 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

To good to pass up, went ahead and got one also.

+1 - will be glad to get rid of the vidabox RF keyboard.
post #15687 of 15900
Anyone else see this? Not a lot of info, but when I saw the pic with all the connectivity options in such a small form factor...well, could be a lot of possibilities!

http://www.dailytech.com/Could+Valves+Steam+Box+be+a+Chromebox++Well+Find+Out+at+Mondays+Launch/article33420.htm
post #15688 of 15900
Anyone know of a good deal on a Logitech Harmony 890? Wife dropped mine and shattered it!
post #15689 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

I had this on my surface pro once. I finally "fixed' it be disabling all other playback devices.

Sounds like something is set to downmix to stereo though. I'd check the settings on your receiver

I used this opportunity to replace my AVR and got a Yamaha RX-V673. Now the audio from an HDMI stream will play through the receiver. My surround sound is restored.

It has however introduced a new problem. Whenever the HTPC is busy say with MCE Buddy doing work, the audio will stutter. Once that happens, WMC will complain about every type of video saying it can't play it. This is this first time I have used HDMI for the audio from the HTPC. Currently I have the LAV splitter in play.

Does it make sense to try something else like Shark? Can the HTPC output PCM over HDMI? Upgrade the CPU from the 620? Just make sure nothing else is ever running? Or are there some settings I could change?

Thanks.

Update: Not sure it is related to how busy the CPU is. I was just streaming a show on Netflix in WMC and that was working fine. When I switched to a tuner to watch TV, the audio started skipping and now nothing will play. "Video Error: Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly" is the message I get when trying to watch OTA TV.
Edited by TxBobS - 9/21/13 at 10:58am
post #15690 of 15900
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBobS View Post

I used this opportunity to replace my AVR and got a Yamaha RX-V673. Now the audio from an HDMI stream will play through the receiver. My surround sound is restored.

It has however introduced a new problem. Whenever the HTPC is busy say with MCE Buddy doing work, the audio will stutter. Once that happens, WMC will complain about every type of video saying it can't play it. This is this first time I have used HDMI for the audio from the HTPC. Currently I have the LAV splitter in play.

Does it make sense to try something else like Shark? Can the HTPC output PCM over HDMI? Upgrade the CPU from the 620? Just make sure nothing else is ever running? Or are there some settings I could change?

Thanks.

Update: Not sure it is related to how busy the CPU is. I was just streaming a show on Netflix in WMC and that was working fine. When I switched to a tuner to watch TV, the audio started skipping and now nothing will play. "Video Error: Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly" is the message I get when trying to watch OTA TV.

I use shark on my HTPC. Works very well
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide