or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 526

post #15751 of 15901
Running low on storage space. Looking to get more. 2 or 3 TB

Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desktop/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384371673&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+3+tb


Will this work and recommended?
post #15752 of 15901

Keep an eye out here:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/201/computers-and-parts-great-found-deals

post #15753 of 15901
I built an HTPC awhile ago and used an 64g SSD to hold Windows 7, and a separate 2TB hard drive for content.

All I've installed on the SSD is Windows 7, the necessary programs/codecs for Media Browser and ripping blu rays, etc... Why would I only have 3GB left? Does Windows 7 eat that much up?

I did do the partition for installing Windows 7 on the SSD as Assassin showed in his guide. I'd think I'd have at least 9GB free even with a 50GB partition.
Edited by blobula - 11/15/13 at 1:15pm
post #15754 of 15901
Just a few weeks ago I did a clean install of Win7sp1x64 onto a "64GB" drive. The OS install and minimal support pieces still left half the drive empty.

Things to look at:
1. Is WMC using some of the drive for Recorded TV at all?
2. How big are your Pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys? Usually these are set to be similar to the amount of RAM you've got. Depending on your configuration, these could be eating things up. I disable hibernation, which frees up the amount of space that would be used by the hibernation file.

Marc

EDIT: PS: Check out a program called WinDirStat which will build a graphical representation of your hard drive usage and help you visualize what is taking up lots of space.
post #15755 of 15901
I have had the same experience. Used disc clean up routines to get some breathing room but I still am concerned that I will have to replace the drive with something larger.
post #15756 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Just a few weeks ago I did a clean install of Win7sp1x64 onto a "64GB" drive. The OS install and minimal support pieces still left half the drive empty.

Things to look at:
1. Is WMC using some of the drive for Recorded TV at all?
2. How big are your Pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys? Usually these are set to be similar to the amount of RAM you've got. Depending on your configuration, these could be eating things up. I disable hibernation, which frees up the amount of space that would be used by the hibernation file.

Marc

EDIT: PS: Check out a program called WinDirStat which will build a graphical representation of your hard drive usage and help you visualize what is taking up lots of space.

I downloaded WinDirStat and ran it.

My hiberfil.sys is 5.9GB.

I used the following instructions to disable hibernation.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/delete-hiberfilsys-by-disabling-windows-hibernate-function/
Perhaps this is why my computer is sluggish when coming out of sleep mode?

I didn't have a pagefile.sys file.

Looks like I have about 4.2GB used in the Appdata dir for temp stuff.
post #15757 of 15901
What do you use for disc clean up? I normally use CC Cleaner.

Also, what is a great anti virus program that is free?
Edited by blobula - 11/16/13 at 6:42pm
post #15758 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

What do you use for disc clean up? I normally use CC Cleaner.

Also, what is a great anti virus program that is free?

Microsoft Security Essentials is hard to beat for a free AV solution.

For other free security software, I also use Malwarebytes for periodic scans or if I suspect an infection. Spyware Blaster is good for prevention. I used to use ZoneAalrm, but it caused a conflict with my SONOS controller software, so I just stick with the Windows firewall.
post #15759 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

What do you use for disc clean up? I normally use CC Cleaner.

Also, what is a great anti virus program that is free?
I use Avast Free along with the Windows 7 firewall. And then do an occasional scan with Malwarebytes and/or MS Security Scanner.
post #15760 of 15901
Greetings all!

Got a question concerning Windows Home Server 2011... Already built my Assassin HTPC now I want to do a server and I am thinking of using this operating system... I was reading an article that had said one of the basic downfalls of WHS 2011 was that "the original Drive Extender was actually a crude hack that never really worked properly. It worked by copying files automatically between NTFS volumes. Sometimes it would copy files that hadn't been completely written yet, resulting in broken files and data loss. Even after these issues were ironed out—which took many months—Drive Extender could sometimes change file metadata." Has this been totally ironed out or are there still some issues with metadata changes? I plan on using this with flex raid or unraid.... not sure yet.. The whole idea of a server is to have everything backed up safely. If this isnt bullet proof I would have concerns getting data back if I had a crash. eek.gif

Thanks!
post #15761 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

What do you use for disc clean up? I normally use CC Cleaner.

Also, what is a great anti virus program that is free?

Just fwiw >

If AT&T is your ISP (and your plan is for a downstream of least 3 Megs) you can get “AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee” for free on up to four computers.

Cons:
  • It can be a resource hog. – My older model laptop is sluggish, at best, when a scan is running.

Pros:
  • Well…, it’s free. – For up to four computers.
  • Plus, as long as you’re with AT&T, it continually updates and UPGRADES itself without you ever having to give it any thought whatsoever.
  • It’s a somewhat full featured security suite; more than just anti-virus. – Includes firewall, “Site Advisor”, etc.
post #15762 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnaylor View Post

Greetings all!

Got a question concerning Windows Home Server 2011... Already built my Assassin HTPC now I want to do a server and I am thinking of using this operating system... I was reading an article that had said one of the basic downfalls of WHS 2011 was that "the original Drive Extender was actually a crude hack that never really worked properly. It worked by copying files automatically between NTFS volumes. Sometimes it would copy files that hadn't been completely written yet, resulting in broken files and data loss. Even after these issues were ironed out—which took many months—Drive Extender could sometimes change file metadata." Has this been totally ironed out or are there still some issues with metadata changes? I plan on using this with flex raid or unraid.... not sure yet.. The whole idea of a server is to have everything backed up safely. If this isnt bullet proof I would have concerns getting data back if I had a crash. eek.gif

Thanks!


I'd vote WHS2011 + Flexraid exactly like Assassin guide shows.

It should work fine for you. No worries. with flexraid you would never even use the drive extender.
post #15763 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'd vote WHS2011 + Flexraid exactly like Assassin guide shows.

It should work fine for you. No worries. with flexraid you would never even use the drive extender.
Awesome thanks for the info!
post #15764 of 15901
I've used WHS v1 and now WHS 2011. I have mine running 4x2tb drives + a 128GB SSD for OS. I haven't had any issues with mine, and I'm not using FlexRaid.
I have had two client's harddrives go bad on me and after putting a new drive in, I'm up and running on that client in like 1 hour, like nothing ever happened.
post #15765 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

Microsoft Security Essentials is hard to beat for a free AV solution.

I used MSE for years also until I recently read this article by HowToGeek along with a few others which shows MSE has really slid in the rankings. Due to that, I recently just uninstalled MSE and put Avast! Free on all of my computers. Too bad, as I really like the lightweight, non-intrusiveness of it. Avast! seems really good though and has a host of different settings to customize it.
post #15766 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnaylor View Post

Greetings all!

Got a question concerning Windows Home Server 2011... Already built my Assassin HTPC now I want to do a server and I am thinking of using this operating system... I was reading an article that had said one of the basic downfalls of WHS 2011 was that "the original Drive Extender was actually a crude hack that never really worked properly. It worked by copying files automatically between NTFS volumes. Sometimes it would copy files that hadn't been completely written yet, resulting in broken files and data loss. Even after these issues were ironed out—which took many months—Drive Extender could sometimes change file metadata." Has this been totally ironed out or are there still some issues with metadata changes? I plan on using this with flex raid or unraid.... not sure yet.. The whole idea of a server is to have everything backed up safely. If this isnt bullet proof I would have concerns getting data back if I had a crash. eek.gif

Thanks!

If you're prepared to give up 50% of your disk space (like drive extender took)--I wouldn't be--you can use any old sync tool to get the backup job done (Storage pooling is another matter though, and FlexRAID does both)
post #15767 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnaylor View Post

Greetings all!

Got a question concerning Windows Home Server 2011... Already built my Assassin HTPC now I want to do a server and I am thinking of using this operating system... I was reading an article that had said one of the basic downfalls of WHS 2011 was that "the original Drive Extender was actually a crude hack that never really worked properly. It worked by copying files automatically between NTFS volumes. Sometimes it would copy files that hadn't been completely written yet, resulting in broken files and data loss. Even after these issues were ironed out—which took many months—Drive Extender could sometimes change file metadata." Has this been totally ironed out or are there still some issues with metadata changes? I plan on using this with flex raid or unraid.... not sure yet.. The whole idea of a server is to have everything backed up safely. If this isnt bullet proof I would have concerns getting data back if I had a crash. eek.gif

Thanks!

Drive Extender was in WHS v1. It was removed in WHS 2011.
post #15768 of 15901
Thanks guys for the info. I believe I will be going with the flex raid system. I have about 150 movies, 600 tunes, and 4-5 computers on the house network. I built my Assassin HTPC about 2 yrs agao and it has been a wonderful thing. No more digging for videos for the kids. Dont have to worry about them scratching disks etc. My Seven yr old can pretty much load up whatever he wants when he wants. Anybody considering doing this, weather you are going to build it yourself or buy one I highly suggest it!.

Thank you to everybody over the years for all the knowledge guidance and support!!
post #15769 of 15901
Assassin,

At one point in time, I believe you were offering Windows 7 64-bit OEM license keys at a discount. Is that option still available?
post #15770 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

Assassin,

At one point in time, I believe you were offering Windows 7 64-bit OEM license keys at a discount. Is that option still available?

PM spaceman he has a bunch left I think.
post #15771 of 15901
I just wanted to write in and let everyone know that the Hardware blog has been updated!

It's been cleaned up and organize a bit more. And a LOT of new content put into it.

We are spilling a lot of our secrets to the HTPC community!

I know a lot of you have been requesting this for awhile and we apologize about the slight delay!

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/hardwareguide/

Thanks!
post #15772 of 15901
^^ Just in time for Black Friday deals ... ex-cell-ent (tents fingers).

@ Mfusick: Thanks!
post #15773 of 15901
Sorry guys!

I accidentally linked a password protected image the first time I updated this so it kept asking for a username and password.

It should all be fixed now and free information for all!

Let me know your comments!
post #15774 of 15901
I browsed through the latest hardware guide last night, didn't need a password.
Sweet guide. If I was going to build an HTPC for me or the family, the timing couldn't have been better
Especially as it quickly nails down the critical components (CPU, RAM, MOBO).

Thanks for the work that goes into the guides.
post #15775 of 15901
Excellent info as always, Assassin! Thanks!

I was browsing the guide, thinking perhaps to refresh my aging hardware with a fresh i3 4340 in a micro-ATX form factor. I really like the ASUS mobos but didn't see one with S/PDIF optical out. Do you know of one? I see the Asrock H87M Pro4 has optical out, but if there's something like the ASUS H87M-E but with optical out, that would be awesome. I am not yet ready to invest in a new AVR that would take HDMI audio... smile.gif
post #15776 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Excellent info as always, Assassin! Thanks!

I was browsing the guide, thinking perhaps to refresh my aging hardware with a fresh i3 4340 in a micro-ATX form factor. I really like the ASUS mobos but didn't see one with S/PDIF optical out. Do you know of one? I see the Asrock H87M Pro4 has optical out, but if there's something like the ASUS H87M-E but with optical out, that would be awesome. I am not yet ready to invest in a new AVR that would take HDMI audio... smile.gif

Will this Work???

Asus Pro:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131994
post #15777 of 15901
Check out the Asus H87M-Pro on NewEgg. NewEgg Product: N82E16813131994

Should be what you need.

(I would link but this username doesn't have capabilities yet!!!)
post #15778 of 15901
Looks like a winner, thanks!

My next stop is to check the specks against my 4 year old power supply to make sure I've got the right power cables.

(This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003 )

Board says it needs:
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector
1 x 8-pin EATX 12V Power connector

Power supply has:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4+4Pin)
6 x peripheral
6 x SATA
2 x Floppy
1 x PCI-E

Hmmm... I have been away from the hardware side of things... but I'm pretty sure the main (20+4 pin) connector will fit and I'm assuming the 4+4 pin equals the 8 pin... is this correct?

Thanks again for any insights!

Marc
post #15779 of 15901
Marc,
That'll work just fine!
post #15780 of 15901

In an attempt to improve the Windows Experience Index score of my OCZ Agility 3 SSD from 7.4, I downloaded the "toolbox" from OCZ. Unfortunately, updating the firmware didn't help. However, when I ran the SMART data utility, of the 20 criteria, I got 5 "pre-fail," 13 "old age," and 2 "000." :eek:

I just opened a "ticket" with OCZ support. This should be interesting.

Michael

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide