Originally Posted by bonscott87
No kidding. Pay twice as much for half as good. There is no hassle in building your own unless the person doesn't know how and doesn't want to learn.
You are right about twice as much, for building your own alright.
Just 2 weeks ago:
HP Pavilion p6610f Desktop PC
* AMD Athlon™ II 635 Quad-Core Processor (2.9GHz)
* 4GB installed memory
* 750GB hard drive
* SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
* Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
* High Definition Audio with up to 7.1 surround sound capabilities
* 15-in-1 memory card reader
* Includes HP USB keyboard and optical mouse
* Dimensions: 6.97" (W) x 16.85" (L/D) x 15.32" (H)
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* 1 year warranty
All for less than $400. $300 if you throw in an old PC.
ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics. If your TV takes VGA, you are all set. If not, a 5450 would run you $20. A 5550 will set you back $50 or so.