Hey guys - just building my HTPC here and have a few questions (I apologize in advance if these questions have already been answered elsewhere and if so, please feel free to direct me to other threads of sections in this thread).
Silverstone GD04B case
X-Series Fanless 460 watt power supply
G.SKill ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1600 ram
Intel i5-2500K processor (with stock CPU cooler)
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
(more ram, upgraded processor, and slightly larger SSD due to wanting to use this machine to periodically game - plus I've been buying parts slowly over the last few months as they go on sale so I got really good deals on everything
My hardware questions are the following:
- I haven't built a computer in many years (about 10) but I definitely heard some "creaking/popping" when installing the CPU (lowering the lever that secures it to the motherboard). I'm assuming this is normal? I also notice a slight flex of the MB under the CPU/cooler. I'm also assuming this is normal? Lastly, I didn't install any extra thermal paste before installing the stock CPU cooler. I'm also assuming this is ok since it looks like the stock cooler had some silver paste factory installed.
- Out of the PS it looks like I only need to install the main motherboard power (large connector) and the CPU power (hard drive aside). The CPU connector off the power supply has 8 pins (a connector that is separable into two connectors) so I'm assuming I just plug one into the MB. Is this correct? I'm also assuming it doesn't matter which one I plug in?
- This case has three case fans but there is only one connector on the MB for a system fan. How should I connect the other two fans? Is there a connector adapter I can get or have you guys just cut/crimped the fans together and ran them directly to the PS via one of the peripheral outputs?
- Other than the buttons/indicator connectors on the front panel (and the SSD) am I missing another other critical connections (just want to make sure I don't release any factory smoke as soon as I plug this thing in)?
- I don't have a monitor (other than my TV) so is it fair to assume that all I need to do is connect the HDMI port on the HTPC MB to a HDMI port on my TV and that will allow me to see the display when I power this thing up?
My software questions are the following (I'm going to take a crack at installing windows 7 tonight):
- Will I be able to tell the machine to boot from a USB port through the bios configuration utility during startup? Also, I messed around with the program link in the guide (to make a bootable USB drive) but all it seems to have done is copied the contents of the installation disk to the drive. Did I miss something?
I'm sure I'll have other questions as I get into the details of configuring everything but I plan on buying the guide and trying to figure a lot of it out myself. Thanks for all the help!