or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 327

post #9781 of 15901
Thread Starter 
ASRock makes great boards overall and really great boards for HTPC.

ASUS and ASRock are the same company. AsusTek owns Pegatron and Pegatron owns ASrock
post #9782 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

SSD is not necessary but is a very nice luxury to have. Once you use one you will never want to go back.

For affordable cases holding at least three drives take a look at the NMedia cases. They are very large.

The GD04/05 Silverstone cases only hold 2 hard drives and 1 ssd.

Thanks. This looks promising. Though it's weird that a case that's smaller in all dimensions than the Silverstone holds more drives.
http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc7000b.htm

I am still unsure about reading some case specs. The Silverstone specs say:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...id=233&area=en
External
5.25" x 1
Internal
3.5" x 2 , 2.5” x 1 or 3.5" x 1 , 2.5” x 2

I read this as holding, at maximum:
1 Blu-ray drive
2 internal drives

Is that right?



I'm thinking about a system with 2 x 3TB drive. I estimate I need 5 TB to hold all my media, including DVDs and Blu-rays ripped but not transcoded. (I watch special features, don't want to discard quality, and want to minimize setup time, so am leaning towards rips only)

I need at least two internal drive bays and an external (for the blu-ray). If I add an SSD, then three internal bays and one external. If I understand, I can't use a Silverstone GD04/05 for that setup.

Discs Size Ea. (GB) Total (GB)
DVD 200 9.7 1940
Blu-ray 75 30 2250
TV (hrs) 100 6.6 660
Music 400 15
Windows 25
Total 775 4890
post #9783 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post

Thanks. I'm thinking about a system with 2 x 3TB drive. I estimate I need 5 TB to hold all my media, including DVDs and Blu-rays ripped but not transcoded. (I watch special features, don't want to discard quality, and want to minimize setup time, so am leaning towards rips only)

I need at least two internal drive bays and an external (for the blu-ray). If I add an SSD, then three internal bays and one external. If I understand, I can't use a Silverstone GD04/05 for that setup.

Discs Ripped (GB) Total (GB)
DVD 200 9.7 1940
Blu-ray 75 30 2250
TV 100 6.6 660
Music 400 15
Windows 25
Total 775 46.3 4890

Yes you can. Silverstone GD04/05 would be perfect. It can fit two 3.5" drives AND a 2.5" drive natively with no additional adapters. So your two 3TB hard drives and single SSD would fit perfectly. It also has the optical drive on the opposite side of the case.
post #9784 of 15901
I have a URC MX-850 remote and the update software has codes for Windows Media Center. I know this remote will successfully navigate in Media Center from other posts i have found, but none mentions what hardware i need. I'd really like to get this accomplished so i can put all the other remotes and keyboards and mice away. Do i just need to get the Windows Media Center Receiver and connect my URC IR repeater to it?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-M.../dp/B003QQOHZ4

EDIT: Once, again i missed the first page of this post where assassin recommended the Flirc USB adapter.

http://flirc.tv/

This seems like it might be the way to go. Does anyone know if these play nice with URC remotes, or specifically the MX-850?
post #9785 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeisher View Post

I have a URC MX-850 remote and the update software has codes for Windows Media Center. I know this remote will successfully navigate in Media Center from other posts i have found, but none mentions what hardware i need. I'd really like to get this accomplished so i can put all the other remotes and keyboards and mice away. Do i just need to get the Windows Media Center Receiver and connect my URC IR repeater to it?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-M.../dp/B003QQOHZ4

You need a WMC IR Receiver to use with any WMC remote or remote with WMC codes to make it a WMC remote. The HTPC doesn't know or care which remote that you have. It just recognizes the codes/signal being sent through the IR receiver.
post #9786 of 15901
So i just placed an order with amazon for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AWSTL9OR9CVRW

It's a Windows 7 Vista XP remote with the IR receiver for only $13.60. This is the remote from the first post, but the caption for it on page 1 doesn't mention that it comes with an IR receiver. That's why i didn't even look at it as a solution to my URC remote problem. Assassin, you might want to add the IR info to your caption, or just use the thumbnail from amazon, which has been updated/changed since you posted it to show the IR receiver dongle in the image as well.




Also, since none of my newer PC's have serial ports, I needed a USB to serial converter to connect the MX-850 to a PC and program the codes for Windows Media Center. This is what i ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Both with free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime. Thanks for the help again Assassin.

My wife and 3 kids are loving the HTPC setup so far! Once i get my MX-850 setup with the system, i'm pretty sure i can teach my 4 year old how to turn it on and watch Tangled! Thanks a bunch for the great guides, i just have a little tweaking left and i'll be done. After that...a lot of time to spend ripping our extensive kid movie library over. Got any shortcuts or easy ways to do that?
post #9787 of 15901
I hope your not getting too tired of my posts, but i am trying to be helpful

The Rosewill remote on post #1 links to a deactivated item at Newegg. This appears to be the replacement item at Newegg, which also includes an IR receiver dongle.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880101002

post #9788 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeisher View Post

I hope your not getting too tired of my posts, but i am trying to be helpful

The Rosewill remote on post #1 links to a deactivated item at Newegg. This appears to be the replacement item at Newegg, which also includes an IR receiver dongle.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880101002


Yeah that's the one that I recommend. I have it sitting on my counter ready for some testing when I get some time.

BTW things on newegg go "deactivated" all the time and then come back once they get stock back in. So its tough to know what really is gone never to return.
post #9789 of 15901
I have my ripped movies in 3 Folders My Movies/BluRay, My Movies/DVD and My Movies/Recorded (de-commercialized recorded movies). Can Media Browser be configured to show all these movie all together in one tab, so they show up on one screen?
post #9790 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3 View Post

I have my ripped movies in 3 Folders My Movies/BluRay, My Movies/DVD and My Movies/Recorded (de-commercialized recorded movies). Can Media Browser be configured to show all these movie all together in one tab, so they show up on one screen?

Yes, if you follow the guide it shows how to create a collection and in your case you would create one collection and on the right side add all 3 folders into one collection.
post #9791 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3 View Post

I have my ripped movies in 3 Folders My Movies/BluRay, My Movies/DVD and My Movies/Recorded (de-commercialized recorded movies). Can Media Browser be configured to show all these movie all together in one tab, so they show up on one screen?

Yes. That's one of the most fantastic things about Media Browser. It has awesome library consolidation features.
post #9792 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Yes. That's one of the most fantastic things about Media Browser. It has awesome library consolidation features.

So how do I consolidate the libraries? or where in your guides should I look.



BTW, thanks for the forward and back buttons at the end of your paid guides.
post #9793 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3 View Post

So how do I consolidate the libraries? or where in your guides should I look.



BTW, thanks for the forward and back buttons at the end of your paid guides.

Just point everything you want into a single folder in the MB configurator. Should be in the Media Browser guides.
post #9794 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeisher View Post

I have a URC MX-850 remote and the update software has codes for Windows Media Center. I know this remote will successfully navigate in Media Center from other posts i have found, but none mentions what hardware i need. I'd really like to get this accomplished so i can put all the other remotes and keyboards and mice away. Do i just need to get the Windows Media Center Receiver and connect my URC IR repeater to it?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-M.../dp/B003QQOHZ4

EDIT: Once, again i missed the first page of this post where assassin recommended the Flirc USB adapter.

http://flirc.tv/

This seems like it might be the way to go. Does anyone know if these play nice with URC remotes, or specifically the MX-850?

My old MX-500 would NOT work reliably with Media Center unless I went into Windows registry and enabled "debounce". It's due to problems of some remotes in handling RC5/6 IR codes. Your 850 is newer and more expensive - it may work fine. If not do a search for debounce.
post #9795 of 15901
Does the GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 z68 motherboard support HDCP to the TV with the recommended Asus BluRay player?
post #9796 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbdc View Post

Does the GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 z68 motherboard support HDCP to the TV with the recommended Asus BluRay player?

It should with the appropriate bluray playback software like tmt5.
post #9797 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Guide #65 finished.

Enjoy.

LINK
post #9798 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbdc View Post

Does the GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 z68 motherboard support HDCP to the TV with the recommended Asus BluRay player?

I have that MB with the LG Lite-On Blu-ray drive. Works fine playing Blu-rays with TMT5 through HDMI.
post #9799 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

ASRock makes great boards overall and really great boards for HTPC.

ASUS and ASRock are the same company. AsusTek owns Pegatron and Pegatron owns ASrock

What is the difference?

The BIOS look the same?

I never had an ASrock before.
post #9800 of 15901
I've always built with Gigabyte or Asus motherboards, but with this chipset P67, Z68 etc. AsRock seems to be the ones who got it right.
post #9801 of 15901
Assassin, Do you recommend a case/psu that fits the microATX boards your suggest but allows for the OTA Tv tuners in the future. For instance

I am considering this build..

Sandy Bridge i3-2105
Gigabyte GA-z68MA
G.Skill 4GB (2x2gb)
Antech 380W
Asus DB/DVD/CD
MicroATX with BlueRay slot
2gig WD
Rii Touch
-------
win7 64 bit
XBMC or Media Browser

But am considering adjusting to allow for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116037


Also do you have any thoughts on the build above or these parts that arent in your guide?

Rii mini. http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-K..._p23_d2_i3_7_2
diNovo mini. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0.../dp/B0011FOOI2
post #9802 of 15901
I was going to ask the same ASUS vs ASrock question. The MSI motherboad in my HTPC I just built is acting odd. When I plug in the IR reciever included with the "Vista remote", I dont get any video over HDMI. However I do get video if I reboot from windows orunplug it all together. I was looking at ordering either:

ASRock H67M (B3) Listed in your guide.

or

ASUS P8H61-M (REV 3.0)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131716
post #9803 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbdc View Post

Assassin, Do you recommend a case/psu that fits the microATX boards your suggest but allows for the OTA Tv tuners in the future. For instance

I am considering this build..

Sandy Bridge i3-2105
Gigabyte GA-z68MA
G.Skill 4GB (2x2gb)
Antech 380W
Asus DB/DVD/CD
MicroATX with BlueRay slot
2gig WD
Rii Touch
-------
win7 64 bit
XBMC or Media Browser

But am considering adjusting to allow for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116037


Also do you have any thoughts on the build above or these parts that arent in your guide?

Rii mini. http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-K..._p23_d2_i3_7_2
diNovo mini. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0.../dp/B0011FOOI2

I always think its a good idea to plan for the future if you want to add a tuner. I always recommend to get the largest case your setup will allow unless there is reason you want to go smaller. Makes cooling easier as well.

Those remote controls are discussed on AVS. I have an option similar to the Rii mini. I think the diNovo mini is overpriced personally.
post #9804 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What is the difference?

The BIOS look the same?

I never had an ASrock before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati 1098 View Post

I've always built with Gigabyte or Asus motherboards, but with this chipset P67, Z68 etc. AsRock seems to be the ones who got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiCy View Post

I was going to ask the same ASUS vs ASrock question. The MSI motherboad in my HTPC I just built is acting odd. When I plug in the IR reciever included with the "Vista remote", I dont get any video over HDMI. However I do get video if I reboot from windows orunplug it all together. I was looking at ordering either:

ASRock H67M (B3) Listed in your guide.

or

ASUS P8H61-M (REV 3.0)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131716

The ASUS and ASRock story is interesting. Basically they have officially split but still have the same parent company. They seem to use many of the same engineers and parts.

I was an ASUS guy, then a Gigabyte guy and now like ASRock the best. I still like ASUS and Giga an awful lot too. For HTPC I think ASRock is the biggest bang for the buck and uses high quality parts. I have 3 of their boards in my house.

Their bios is graphics based and is extremely easy to use. You can see pictures of it in my guides.
post #9805 of 15901
+1. I have two ASRock boards I used in two builds...one in the unRAID server and the other in the i5 HTPC build. Works flawlessly.
post #9806 of 15901
I am working on my assassin htpc setup. I have an avi that when I try to play in WMC via Mediabrowser it says the audio format is not recognized. Other avi files work with no problem. And the same avi file that won't work in WMC does play correctly in windows media player, sound and video. Suggestions?
post #9807 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrunner View Post

I am working on my assassin htpc setup. I have an avi that when I try to play in WMC via Mediabrowser it says the audio format is not recognized. Other avi files work with no problem. And the same avi file that won't work in WMC does play correctly in windows media player, sound and video. Suggestions?

Some poorly ripped AVI and MKV files aren't liked by LAV.

Run it through Handbrake to convert that AVI file to MKV and it will play just fine.

We were troubleshooting this a few months ago and the problem lies in the way that some audio is ripped into the AVI and MKV container that you obtained from other sources (i.e. didn't rip yourself in makemkv or dvdfab, etc). Just re-rip it in Handbrake and it will play fine.
post #9808 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post


Some poorly ripped AVI and MKV files aren't liked by LAV.

Run it through Handbrake to convert that AVI file to MKV and it will play just fine.

We were troubleshooting this a few months ago and the problem lies in the way that some audio is ripped into the AVI and MKV container that you obtained from other sources (i.e. didn't rip yourself in makemkv or dvdfab, etc). Just re-rip it in Handbrake and it will play fine.

Thanks. I will check out. Not quite there in guide yet. Wife and I are checking out a movie on our new htpc and so far it is awesome!
post #9809 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrunner View Post

Thanks. I will check out. Not quite there in guide yet. Wife and I are checking out a movie on our new htpc and so far it is awesome!

Great! Welcome to HTPC! Glad I could help!
post #9810 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post


Yes you can. Silverstone GD04/05 would be perfect. It can fit two 3.5" drives AND a 2.5" drive natively with no additional adapters. So your two 3TB hard drives and single SSD would fit perfectly. It also has the optical drive on the opposite side of the case.

Thanks for the clarification! I've misunderstood those case specs for a while.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide