or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › In Ceiling Center vs Center on a Entertainment Center
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In Ceiling Center vs Center on a Entertainment Center

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I currently have a Niles Audio CM730 center channel in my ceiling as part of a 5.1 system. (Niles also as L/R and mono price as the rears) being driven by denon AVR591.

I am curious if i would be better off putting a new center channel speaker (would spend about 200) on my entertainment center instead of using the in ceiling. I sometimes feel like the in ceiling sounds too weak.

This would also require me to wall mount my tv but that isnt a big deal.

Thanks for any advice!
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I currently have a Niles Audio CM730 center channel in my ceiling as part of a 5.1 system. (Niles also as L/R and mono price as the rears) being driven by denon AVR591.

I am curious if i would be better off putting a new center channel speaker (would spend about 200) on my entertainment center instead of using the in ceiling. I sometimes feel like the in ceiling sounds too weak.

This would also require me to wall mount my tv but that isnt a big deal.

Thanks for any advice!

Ceiling speakers are OK for casual background music. It is a terrible place for a center or for any 5.1 surround speakers.
post #3 of 7
What Charles said. The ceiling is a last resort when there are no other options. Rears in a 7.1 system are probably the most tolerant of ceiling mounting. The center is probably the least tolerant if you're talking about movies. If video isn't that important to you and 2 channel music is the main goal, then maybe a ceiling mounted center channel can be tolerated.
post #4 of 7
I would imagine ceiling center would be like someone talking to you but giving you their back, not as clear but you can hear them
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help. I think I will move to a traditional center. The restworks pretty well in ceiling. Though I may eventually want floor standing fronts too. Now comes the hard part. Choosing a decent center....
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Thanks for the help. I think I will move to a traditional center. The restworks pretty well in ceiling. Though I may eventually want floor standing fronts too. Now comes the hard part. Choosing a decent center....

Well, you should really plan ahead and use a center now but you should also use that companies left and right speakers later, not all mixed up.
And, if you do the center and others in the ceiling, you will have a funny response.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Well, you should really plan ahead and use a center now but you should also use that companies left and right speakers later, not all mixed up.
And, if you do the center and others in the ceiling, you will have a funny response.

Yeah I think that is the plan. I about to pull the trigger on a bic center and sub.

Then I could get their matching left and right speaker. But still use the inceiling for the rears.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › In Ceiling Center vs Center on a Entertainment Center