or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Sandy Bridge / LGA1155 for HTPCs Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sandy Bridge / LGA1155 for HTPCs Thread - Page 55

post #1621 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by efotonik View Post

Agreed.
I only *like* stressing because I used to do it on my gaming rigs and I like to understand the capabilities and stability of the system. For true HTPC use it's way overkill but I rest easier knowing that at max load I'm still quite safe

Do you have that Noctua cooler set at a fixed speed, is managed by the MB's PWM controller, or are you using some other method of regulating it?
post #1622 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Do you have that Noctua cooler set at a fixed speed, is managed by the MB's PWM controller, or are you using some other method of regulating it?

Currently it's being controlled by BIOS voltage regulation. The Noctua fan is 3-pin, not 4-pin.
My BIOS had a setting for voltage scaling which I enabled at "normal" (as opposed to performance or quiet options). To be absolutely sure I'd have to re-run the burns but I recall the CPU fan speed around the 650 rpm range.
post #1623 of 2223
I'm another one who is experiencing the HDCP problem. I'm using a 3' HDMI cable from my H67 + Core i7 HTPC to a Pioneer SC-05 receiver, and then a 6' HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

My 3 Gbps SATA ports started flaking out after 5.5 months, so while that motherboard was sent off for warranty replacement, I put together a temporary HTPC with some old parts including an ATI 5770 graphics card. With the exact same HDMI cables going to the exact same ports on my receiver and TV, the HDCP connection with the 5770 graphics was fine.

I did a few other tests with the integrated graphics, but unfortunately I don't have a very long HDMI cable. I tried a couple of different 3' and 6' HDMI cables, both with the motherboard's HDMI output and with the DVI output + a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. I think the only one that worked for me was using the DVI output + DVI-to-HDMI + 6' HDMI cable, but without audio, I didn't want to go down that route. That gives me some hope that with a long HDMI cable, it will probably be OK, but for now, I'm using the other workaround.

BTW, I'm happy to be back on the Intel integrated graphics. There are some annoying quirks in trying to use an ATI card for a HTPC.
post #1624 of 2223
Would you see any real world performance difference between the i3-2100 & i3-2120. BD playback or Media Browser loading a large movie database or Win7MC loading music library faster. The difference would have to be noticeable at least a couple of seconds to be worth the $20 difference. I know its penny pinching and not going to hurt the hip pocket just doesn't make sense to spend more for nothing.
post #1625 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by podopple View Post

Would you see any real world performance difference between the i3-2100 & i3-2120. BD playback or Media Browser loading a large movie database or Win7MC loading music library faster. The difference would have to be noticeable at least a couple of seconds to be worth the $20 difference. I know its penny pinching and not going to hurt the hip pocket just doesn't make sense to spend more for nothing.

Not for that scenario.
post #1626 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by podopple View Post

Would you see any real world performance difference between the i3-2100 & i3-2120. BD playback or Media Browser loading a large movie database or Win7MC loading music library faster. The difference would have to be noticeable at least a couple of seconds to be worth the $20 difference. I know its penny pinching and not going to hurt the hip pocket just doesn't make sense to spend more for nothing.

Absolutely not.

That money is better spent towards an SSD if you want to make a difference with loading.
post #1627 of 2223
Thank you Sir!
post #1628 of 2223
I asked the good people at Blue Jeans Cable about this idea that certain HDMI cables might make a difference in HDCP, and they said it would have no relation to such an issue. Yet, mysteriously, some claim it does. But those making the claims cannot say or will not say what specific cables work.
post #1629 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I asked the good people at Blue Jeans Cable about this idea that certain HDMI cables might make a difference in HDCP, and they said it would have no relation to such an issue. Yet, mysteriously, some claim it does. But those making the claims cannot say or will not say what specific cables work.

I've been using this HDMI cable throughout my house for 5 years now. No HDCP or any problems at all.
post #1630 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

I've been using this HDMI cable throughout my house for 5 years now. No HDCP or any problems at all.

Thank you! I may try that. It costs about five times more than the cables I got from NewEgg, but it's cheaper than the other workarounds. I really wish I could understand why the cable could fix the HDCP issue, when all logic says it should not.
post #1631 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Thank you! I may try that. It costs about five times more than the cables I got from NewEgg, but it's cheaper than the other workarounds. I really wish I could understand why the cable could fix the HDCP issue, when all logic says it should not.

I am with you and I will bet my own $ that it won't make any different. Good luck!
post #1632 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I asked the good people at Blue Jeans Cable about this idea that certain HDMI cables might make a difference in HDCP, and they said it would have no relation to such an issue. Yet, mysteriously, some claim it does. But those making the claims cannot say or will not say what specific cables work.

You should read posts 1541 to 1561 in this thread.

As I understand it, it's not the make or model of cable, it's the length that can sometimes help a problem.
post #1633 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

...I really wish I could understand why the cable could fix the HDCP issue, when all logic says it should not.

There is bidirectional communication between the HTPC and the receiver that is carried over the HDMI cable. Part of that communication is the EDID reporting what resolutions and refresh rates it supports, and part is HDCP. The length of the cable helps determine the delay between the HTPC and receiver. Apparently, when the delay is too small, my H67 + Core i7 integrated graphics thinks that it is not HDCP compliant. Using a longer cable can delay the communication across the HDMI cable just long enough to trick it into working.

I just found one more application that needs HDCP: Amazon unbox videos. With my normal 3' HDMI cable to my receiver's HDMI 1 input, it won't work. After many experiments with the various cables I have, a HDMI-to-DVI adapter + a DVI-to-HDMI adapter + a 6' HDMI cable to HDMI 2 input on my receiver, it is HDCP compliant some of the time but not all the time. Nasty annoying little bug.
post #1634 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

Nasty annoying little bug.

and intel could not care less. Their tech support is worse than worthless, and aggressively anti-customer. They need to change.
post #1635 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post


You should read posts 1541 to 1561 in this thread.

As I understand it, it's not the make or model of cable, it's the length that can sometimes help a problem.

I have, and if you believe cable length should consistently and predictably make the difference, you should explain. Neither magic nor luck will suffice as a solution. Intel needs to make it right, or suffer the consequences of their actions.
post #1636 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I have, and if you believe cable length should consistently and predictably make the difference, you should explain. Neither magic nor luck will suffice as a solution. Intel needs to make it right, or suffer the consequences of their actions.

Like what? 13 billion in revenue for one quarter and the fifth consecutive quarter to break a record.

I'm just sayin', they aren't too worried.
post #1637 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I'm just sayin', they [intel] aren't too worried.

You are very correct. If you have ever talked with their Tech Support folks (I did for the first time this week), you understand that they have nothing but contempt for their customers. One of the tech reps acknowledged without a hint of shame that in however many years he has worked there, he has never provided a technical solution to any problem any customer has requested assistance with. He understood his job to be to answer calls, and read a script about their processes for seeking remedies.
post #1638 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I have, and if you believe cable length should consistently and predictably make the difference, you should explain. Neither magic nor luck will suffice as a solution. Intel needs to make it right, or suffer the consequences of their actions.

I'm not the engineer, and I don't believe anyone has claimed trying a longer cable is either "consistent" nor "predictable." Since my i3 and receiver both work perfectly fine, I've had no interest in testing it. But if you choose not to try an easy fix that's worked for some people and that people here have simply been tying to help you by suggesting, that's your choice.

But you shouldn't come on here making wild claims that "all receivers with HDMI are subject to the intel fiasco of broken HDCP" because as at least a dozen people have told you, that assertion is simply false.
post #1639 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

You are very correct. If you have ever talked with their Tech Support folks (I did for the first time this week), you understand that they have nothing but contempt for their customers. One of the tech reps acknowledged without a hint of shame that in however many years he has worked there, he has never provided a technical solution to any problem any customer has requested assistance with. He understood his job to be to answer calls, and read a script about their processes for seeking remedies.

Yikes, thats pretty horrible. Luckily I have never needed to call them. I will continue to use a discrete card in all my htpc's. Just seems like theirs always some issue.
post #1640 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Yikes, thats pretty horrible. Luckily I have never needed to call them. I will continue to use a discrete card in all my htpc's. Just seems like theirs always some issue.

I agree in some apps or games rig discrete card will have a better advantage than on board, at least this is what I think today.

However, IAM4UK seems to have some HDCP problems and he claimed that a longer cable might solve the problem and Intel knows that 3+ years ago. On the other hand, I and many many others here don't see that and we are happy with the SB iGPU HTPC usage so far and of course w/o HDCP problem.
post #1641 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I'm not the engineer, and I don't believe anyone has claimed trying a longer cable is either "consistent" nor "predictable." Since my i3 and receiver both work perfectly fine, I've had no interest in testing it. But if you choose not to try an easy fix that's worked for some people and that people here have simply been tying to help you by suggesting, that's your choice.

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

But you shouldn't come on here making wild claims that "all receivers with HDMI are subject to the intel fiasco of broken HDCP" because as at least a dozen people have told you, that assertion is simply false.

Can't agree more, right on brother!
post #1642 of 2223
My "wild claim" is actually intel's statement.

That many have no issues encourages me that I may overcome the problem without using an add-in discrete card or buying a license to a software solution. What I have sought here is information to maximize that possibility.

I'll just let go the offensive language such as "you shouldn't come on here making wild claims..." and "[your] assertion is simply false" because I trust those are the result of lack of information rather than malice.
post #1643 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

The length of the cable helps determine the delay between the HTPC and receiver. Apparently, when the delay is too small, my H67 + Core i7 integrated graphics thinks that it is not HDCP compliant. Using a longer cable can delay the communication across the HDMI cable just long enough to trick it into working.

Crazy thing - it's not just Intel's PC IPG that manifests the issue. I've seen it with a Boxee Box (uses Intel's 4100 SOC), my cable STB (a Moto box) and some other CE HW. HDCP is such a bizarre technology; hard to see it as anything but anti-consumer.
post #1644 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Crazy thing - it's not just Intel's PC IPG that manifests the issue. I've seen it with a Boxee Box (uses Intel's 4100 SOC), my cable STB (a Moto box) and some other CE HW. HDCP is such a bizarre technology; hard to see it as anything but anti-consumer.

Just because there is a specification does not mean that the specification is perfect nor does it mean that any particular implementation is 100% correct.
post #1645 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycochkn View Post

Just because there is a specification does not mean that the specification is perfect nor does it mean that any particular implementation is 100% correct.

Most specifications have grey areas. You can adhere to the spec 100%, but still not work with 100% of the other implementations that also implement "correctly".
post #1646 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

You are very correct. If you have ever talked with their Tech Support folks (I did for the first time this week), you understand that they have nothing but contempt for their customers. One of the tech reps acknowledged without a hint of shame that in however many years he has worked there, he has never provided a technical solution to any problem any customer has requested assistance with. He understood his job to be to answer calls, and read a script about their processes for seeking remedies.

You might have just had a particularly bad experience. I've heard of many bad experiences from other companies that I personally didn't have. It could be just an isolated incident.

If I had that happened to me, I would call or e-mail them(of course, not the same person) saying that this particular tech support person was substandard.

I have a friend who worked at tech support. He says that there's a bigger priority in getting more calls in a day than actually getting the problem solved.
post #1647 of 2223
If you have an Intel motherboard it looks like you don't need to disable UAC to get 23.97X anymore. I imagine whatever they did to make it go on their hardware will trickle down to other OEMs as well.
post #1648 of 2223
I didn't get that at all. Is it going to be made available in a simple BIOS update then?
post #1649 of 2223
My HTPC doesn't like the 2430 graphics drivers at all, and it is with an Intel DH67BL with the latest BIOS. When trying to use 2430, it is stuck at 800x600 resolution, the Intel Graphics Properties panel is missing, and the Display Audio device is not available. Going back to graphics drivers 2361 and everything is OK. I tried reinstalling 2430 a second time, and it was just as screwed up, so I'm back on 2361.
post #1650 of 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Those who have intel HD Graphics, HDMI to an AVR then to a monitor, use Arcsoft TMT, do not use AnyDVD-HD, and do not experience the broken HDCP, can you share the specific brand and length of your HDMI cables?

FWIW, I am using a 3ft cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XILMEG) from PC (Z68, i5-2500k, TMT5) to Yamaha RX-Z7 receiver and 6' v.1.3 (can't remember brand because I bought it a 2-3 years ago) from AVR to TV. No issues. I have some v.1.4 cables as well (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00356Z4NE), but they work just the same. I have become a big fan of inexpensive cables.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Sandy Bridge / LGA1155 for HTPCs Thread