or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread - Page 11

post #301 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem45216 View Post


The cloning software called G4L (Ghost 4 Linux) will not clone form a 2tb HD to a 1 tb HD? I tried it and failed.

G4L also warns that cloning will not work when cloning from a smaller HD to a larger HD.


You can clone from a smaller to a larger HD. The caveat is that the Moxi will only still see the original partition size, and because of the encrypting, there are no known utils for expanding the partition out to the full capacity of the drive. So, for instance, if you have a 500GB drive, and you clone it to a 2TB drive, the Moxi will only know that the partition is 500GB, and you'll only be able to use that.
post #302 of 491
Did everything again connected directly to the cable modem.. Same results. The screen does flash once but moxi comes back on and never get a welcome screen.

Some thoughts and questions. The drive I installed was right out of the box. Did no formatting. Does this drive need to be formatted for linux prior to install and it working properly? If so, I am not a linux geek and run windows 7 on my computers. Drive is the SV35 1G

Also, keep thinking there is a timing issue since the instructions in thread 222 are a bit conflicting. Holding down the reset for 4 seconds does start a reboot of the hard drive as it can be heard. As soon as I hear the reboot, I then push the 4 buttons. After all 4 buttons are pressed, there is a flash, sometimes a green screen, at about 18 seconds after the 4 button press, but the moxi screen then reappears and stays on. In the instructions it says it will only stay on for 2 seconds then the welcome screen appears and we must push OK button soon thereafter. This implies the welcome screen appears shortly after 20 seconds and the 4 buttons really do not need to be pressed the entire 25 seconds.

Keep thinking I am pushing the 4 buttons too early or too late, or am missing something simple. Does it matter if the moxi is connected to the tv and cable source? I have cox and they use this Cisco box between the moxi and the cable feed. I have tried it disconnected, but no difference noted.

I do have another hard drive I could try also, same make and model.

Any more insights would be greatly appreciated.
post #303 of 491
Did everything again connected directly to the cable modem.. Same results. The screen does flash once but moxi comes back on and never get a welcome screen.

Some thoughts and questions. The drive I installed was right out of the box. Did no formatting. Does this drive need to be formatted for linux prior to install and it working properly? If so, I am not a linux geek and run windows 7 on my computers. Drive is the SV35 1G

Also, keep thinking there is a timing issue since the instructions in thread 222 are a bit conflicting. Holding down the reset for 4 seconds does start a reboot of the hard drive as it can be heard. As soon as I hear the reboot, I then push the 4 buttons. After all 4 buttons are pressed, there is a flash, sometimes a green screen, at about 18 seconds after the 4 button press, but the moxi screen then reappears and stays on. In the instructions it says it will only stay on for 2 seconds then the welcome screen appears and we must push OK button soon thereafter. This implies the welcome screen appears shortly after 20 seconds and the 4 buttons really do not need to be pressed the entire 25 seconds.

Keep thinking I am pushing the 4 buttons too early or too late, or am missing something simple. Does it matter if the moxi is connected to the tv and cable source? I have cox and they use this Cisco box between the moxi and the cable feed. I have tried it disconnected, but no difference noted.

I do have another hard drive I could try also, same make and model.

Any more insights would be greatly appreciated.
post #304 of 491
also reset (unplug/replug) modem (wait 1 minute), then reset moxi, and do ffp. after the moxi reboots, i went ahead and held all 4 buttons down immediately.
post #305 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post

also reset (unplug/replug) modem (wait 1 minute), then reset moxi, and do ffp. after the moxi reboots, i went ahead and held all 4 buttons down immediately.
When you say after moxi reboots, I held all 4 buttons down immediately, please clarify. Do you mean at the moment you hit reset, at the moment you hear the drive begin to spin and the screen has turned blank, or after the drive has begun spinning but just before the moxi screen reappears, which does seem to take a couple seconds after drive begins to spin. Sorry for the ???, this is beginning to drive me nuts;-)

FYI - I also had also tried unplugging the moxi power cord then holding the 4 buttons down as I plugged the moxi power cord back in, with no success.

Thanks for your help.
post #306 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesko View Post

When you say after moxi reboots, I held all 4 buttons down immediately, please clarify. Do you mean at the moment you hit reset, at the moment you hear the drive begin to spin and the screen has turned blank, or after the drive has begun spinning but just before the moxi screen reappears, which does seem to take a couple seconds after drive begins to spin. Sorry for the ???, this is beginning to drive me nuts;-)

FYI - I also had also tried unplugging the moxi power cord then holding the 4 buttons down as I plugged the moxi power cord back in, with no success.

Thanks for your help.

Chances are it is your router.. and your moxi not liking your router... do you have another router you can try? Do you have a direct connection to your router?
post #307 of 491
after taking your hand off reset in front of moxi. hold the four buttons down after hearing the moxi or hdd rev up for the reset

giomania is right..it may not be an immediate ffp press after reset. however, you may have to try a different model hdd all together.
Edited by dz2k - 2/28/13 at 8:10pm
post #308 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesko View Post

Did everything again connected directly to the cable modem.. Same results. The screen does flash once but moxi comes back on and never get a welcome screen.

Some thoughts and questions. The drive I installed was right out of the box. Did no formatting. Does this drive need to be formatted for linux prior to install and it working properly? If so, I am not a linux geek and run windows 7 on my computers. Drive is the SV35 1G

Also, keep thinking there is a timing issue since the instructions in thread 222 are a bit conflicting. Holding down the reset for 4 seconds does start a reboot of the hard drive as it can be heard. As soon as I hear the reboot, I then push the 4 buttons. After all 4 buttons are pressed, there is a flash, sometimes a green screen, at about 18 seconds after the 4 button press, but the moxi screen then reappears and stays on. In the instructions it says it will only stay on for 2 seconds then the welcome screen appears and we must push OK button soon thereafter. This implies the welcome screen appears shortly after 20 seconds and the 4 buttons really do not need to be pressed the entire 25 seconds.

Keep thinking I am pushing the 4 buttons too early or too late, or am missing something simple. Does it matter if the moxi is connected to the tv and cable source? I have cox and they use this Cisco box between the moxi and the cable feed. I have tried it disconnected, but no difference noted.

I do have another hard drive I could try also, same make and model.

Any more insights would be greatly appreciated.

I re-checked my post, and apparently I typed the incorrect number of the post with the instructions, so see the link in my signature for the link to the post detailing the collective wisdom of the FFP processs. I had never heard (until just a few posts ago) that anyone had success when pressing the four buttons immediately. Maybe the instructions should be tweaked, but follow the document and see if you can manage to get it working.

Mark
post #309 of 491
When I replaced my HDD (just a few weeks ago) I read your instructions but held the 4 buttons in right after the reset and the Install screen came right up.... It appears, to me anyway, that each individual's network situation may be the "driver" to what works and what doesn't. I have a fairly "simple" ATT-DSL service with my own router/hub that I connected to with a CAT5 ethernet cable. (Typically, the Moxi is in my AV cabinet connected to a wifi extender during normal use but I relocated it next to the router for the reload/install of the new HDD.)

Based on your write-up I was pleasantly surprised that the Install screen came up so easily (and I never looked back) and followed the rest of the instructions with great success and results.
post #310 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

When I replaced my HDD (just a few weeks ago) I read your instructions but held the 4 buttons in right after the reset and the Install screen came right up.... It appears, to me anyway, that each individual's network situation may be the "driver" to what works and what doesn't. I have a fairly "simple" ATT-DSL service with my own router/hub that I connected to with a CAT5 ethernet cable. (Typically, the Moxi is in my AV cabinet connected to a wifi extender during normal use but I relocated it next to the router for the reload/install of the new HDD.)

Based on your write-up I was pleasantly surprised that the Install screen came up so easily (and I never looked back) and followed the rest of the instructions with great success and results.

That definitely reduces the headache of performing the procedure when you don't have to do all that counting! Should I modify the instructions?

Mark
post #311 of 491
WD 1Tb WD10eurx from Amazon.

A short struggle to get FFP correct but 15 min install. Call to Xfinity to re install cablecard (1-877-405 2298){weekdays only} I was delighted to see everything on my ESATA survived. I am now an Outlaw.
post #312 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

I just completed doing a RAID 1 conversion for the internal drive on my two tuner Moxi with a Cool Drives SiL57x4 based two drive external enclosure. My internal drive is just over two years old, a Seagate Pipeline 500gb, same model as original which had failed. I had 3 spontaneous restarts in one week. Including one restart that took three “checking hard drive” cycles to complete. I was predicting an eminent failure.

I use a Cool Drives two drive RAID enclosure with 2tb drives for the Moxi external drive. I had a second Cool Drives enclosure from my media center, which was replaced with a 4 drive RAID 5 system. I ordered two WD Black 500 gb drives from Newegg ($64 each on sale last week).

I placed the old Seagate in the array, set the config switches to RAID 1, the manufacturer calls it SAFE mode, then cycled on power and pressed “set up” on the enclosure. This tells the RAID box to configure a RAID 1 array. The key feature here is that this does not erase the current data on the drive. Then I hot plugged a new 500 gb WD drive in the second slot. Within about 3 min the enclosure started a rebuild of the array by copying the old Seagate to the new WD. The rebuild took about 5 hours. This was all standalone, with the array disconnected from the Moxi.

When this completed I connected the array to the Moxi mother board with a SATA to eSATA cable. I currently have the Moxi cover adrift to route the cable out of the Moxi. Then powered on the Moxi. It completed the boot and was running fine with all saved recording lists and programs that were originally on the internal drive.

To be real bold, I then hot pulled the old Seagate out of the array, plugged in the second new WD drive and a rebuild started again. The TV channel I was watching didn’t even blink. The rebuild onto the second new drive took about 6.5 hours, due to the disk writes taking place as the Moxi was continuously running during the rebuild.


** Feb 22 update: After a week of operation I have found that when two recordings are in process, one on the external drive and one on the internal, and a prerecorded show is being watched from the internal, and a rewind/backspace is performed, the Moxi will occasionally hang (stopping both recordings and the playback) for 10 or more seconds. Everything continues after the hang. This is fairly easy to reproduce.

If the playback is on the external drive there is no hang. I have not been able to cause all functions to go to the internal drive to test that. I assume it would show the same issue.
This is also with a 30" SATA to eSATA cable. I am going to try a shorter cable.

I am confused, did you not replace the internal drive with the raid? If you did, I do not understand what you mean by the internal drive.
post #313 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

WD 1Tb WD10eurx from Amazon.

A short struggle to get FFP correct but 15 min install. Call to Xfinity to re install cablecard (1-877-405 2298){weekdays only} I was delighted to see everything on my ESATA survived. I am now an Outlaw.

I just put in the same drive yesterday, no issues. This is my fourth re-install and I have never had to re-pair the cablecard (Comcast). Not sure why you and others have to do that.
post #314 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSuburbia View Post

I just put in the same drive yesterday, no issues. This is my fourth re-install and I have never had to re-pair the cablecard (Comcast). Not sure why you and others have to do that.

Typically, it is because a new "data number" (as found in the CC pairing menu) has been established and access to premium channels is then lost. Although standard tier channels remain accessible, the "you do not subscribe to this channel" message displayed when tuning to the premium ones.

Note: I've gotten different data numbers even when reformatting/reloading the very same drive over again.

Paul
post #315 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario121 View Post

I am confused, did you not replace the internal drive with the raid? If you did, I do not understand what you mean by the internal drive.

I did remove the internal drive and route a SATA cable outside the case to a RAID 1 enclosure. I cloned the internal drive in the RAID enclosure and ran with a RAID 1 primary drive for almost a week. I found the multiple recording/play back issues and restored the single internal mounted drive configuration.

I am doing some bench tests with a JMB390 based RAID controller board instead of the SiL5744 based controller that was failing. I have not tried it in the Moxi yet.
post #316 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghyndman View Post

Typically, it is because a new "data number" (as found in the CC pairing menu) has been established and access to premium channels is then lost. Although standard tier channels remain accessible, the "you do not subscribe to this channel" message displayed when tuning to the premium ones.

Note: I've gotten different data numbers even when reformatting/reloading the very same drive over again.

Paul

Right, I am aware of all that. That's why I think it's odd that I have not had to re-pair my cc.
post #317 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

I did remove the internal drive and route a SATA cable outside the case to a RAID 1 enclosure. I cloned the internal drive in the RAID enclosure and ran with a RAID 1 primary drive for almost a week. I found the multiple recording/play back issues and restored the single internal mounted drive configuration.

I am doing some bench tests with a JMB390 based RAID controller board instead of the SiL5744 based controller that was failing. I have not tried it in the Moxi yet.


I am really interested in hearing more about that JMB390 when you have more testing done.
post #318 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSuburbia View Post

Right, I am aware of all that. That's why I think it's odd that I have not had to re-pair my cc.

Do you have premium channels? If you do, where are you in Chicago?

I am located in Southwest suburban Chicago, (Romeoville head end, I believe), and have had to re-pair my CC, and they had to send a tech out to my house.

Thanks.

Mark
post #319 of 491
iS THERE A WAY TO CLONE FROM A PC WITHOUT REMOVING MY HARD DRIVE AND SWAPPING DRIVES?
post #320 of 491
Have done everything as recommended with no success, so forked over $265 to get a refurbished unit, thinking I need to get a unit that does not have a firmware corruption. I plan to clone the hard drive as soon as the replacement arrives so I always have a clean drive available. I read up on the cloning software you recommend and was wondering if there is another option for a PC running windows 7 in which I do not need to swap out hard drives. I do have come image burning software in the Nero suite and was wondering if i can just use that to burn the image from one drive to the other with external hookups?

Thanks for all your input.
post #321 of 491
nero wont work as it cant read the encryption. use the recommended program. you don't neccesarily have to remove the hard drive from the moxi to clone it if you can get it close enough to your pc sata/pwr cable.
post #322 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post

nero wont work as it cant read the encryption. use the recommended program. you don't neccesarily have to remove the hard drive from the moxi to clone it if you can get it close enough to your pc sata/pwr cable.



can you be a little more specific, in the prior posts i found about the linux cloning software on this forum. I seemed to state one needed to remove the moxi drive, install it in another computer, boot the computer from a CD with the cloning software and boot section on it, make an image, then remove the moxi hard drive, install the clean drive you want to clone to to complete the process.

If i am not understanding, I would greatly appreciate a clarification or a link to the process to follow and the cloning software also.

Thanks for your information and help
post #323 of 491
can you be a little more specific, in the prior posts i found about the linux cloning software on this forum. I seemed to state one needed to remove the moxi drive, install it in another computer, boot the computer from a CD with the cloning software and boot section on it, make an image, then remove the moxi hard drive, install the clean drive you want to clone to to complete the process.

If i am not understanding, I would greatly appreciate a clarification or a link to the process to follow and the cloning software also.

Thanks for your information and help
post #324 of 491
I suppose it depends on your pc setup. ex.one could take the moxi and connect pc data/pwr cables to the hdd in the moxi, place another hard drive in pc that will be formatted by g4l so it can be cloned to, and make a raw image on the fly of the original moxi drive. I always set the options to turn off pc when done because sometimes the monitor goes blank while doing it. you'd have to do it to really get the feel of it.
post #325 of 491
Thanks for the info. I have an old pc that I can try that with. Where can I get a copy of this G4L you use?
post #326 of 491
google it. if you have any other questions during the process..just ask.
post #327 of 491
post #328 of 491
Seagate Model ST500VT000. This is their new 2.5" Video Hard Drives, similar to their full-size Pipelines (which was the original drive that came with Moxi, of course). The drives right now max out at 500GB. They run very quiet. Easy success. All running well.
post #329 of 491
for those with a 3tb hdd: can you pm your amount of hd hours, sd hours, and your percentage used. its said that only 2tb is recognized but its time for some calculations. thx.
Edited by dz2k - 3/28/13 at 6:11am
post #330 of 491
Actually, I would like to see that as well. I personally think that the Moxi should be able to utilize a 3TB+ drive to its full extent because even Arris said that the LaCie Quadro is supported, and:
Quote:
27. Can I expand the memory on my Moxi?
Yes, you can. Moxi can hold up to 75 hours of HD recording or 300 hours of SD, but if that's not enough, add an eSATA external hard drive certified for DVR use. We have tested the Moxi HD DVR with a 6 terabyte eSATA drive, which provides up to 1000 hours of HD and 4000 hours of SD recording space.
http://www.moxi.com/us/faq.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread