or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 92" Mitsubishi DLP @ CES!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

92" Mitsubishi DLP @ CES!!! - Page 6

post #151 of 1927
Are there any folks who are watching this thread about the 2011 Mit's 92840 ninety two inch DLP, RPTV HDTV that are also active on LinkedIn dot com ?

If so you are welcome to PM me or reach out via LinkedIn. I just made a first-hand connection on LinkedIn with the Mit's USA Director of Strategy, Product Development & Marketing. He's a good person. Hoping to get some general kind of semi-public information when it becomes available to the press.

I'm hoping if I gently and once and awhile ask him some relevant questions ... might just find something out. I'm going to be respectful of his and all connections on LinkedIn dot com.

Leo Henton

Seattle, WA 98118
post #152 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post

I was just about to buy the 82" for $2500 but decided to wait for the big 92. I know it will probably cost me an extra $4k for 10 inches but I am going for it.

Wise choice on waiting. The 82 and 92 need to
have around 250-300 watt bulb or a new light path. The 73838 was the best this year for the money.
post #153 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

Wise choice on waiting. The 82 and 92 need to
have around 250-300 watt bulb or a new light path. The 73838 was the best this year for the money.

I concur.
post #154 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

And in a year or two they will bump it up another 8" to 15" to stay just far enough ahead of LCD to keep a niche market.

I'm sorry, but its still a bulb and still a color wheel. It needs to be a LaserVue at this size, and it needs to be at whatever price they are selling the bulb version for.

Was there really anything stopping them from releasing this size set a few years back, except they want to be able to keep a certain margin? What actual new engineering goes on here, besides the same features they add to all the new models?

I guess there are certain instances where RP makes sense over FP (remember you can also do a RP setup with a projector--and you have a lot more flexibility and don't have such a hard time dealing with geometry and focus issues since you have a closed cabinet). But at this size, if I'm going to have a bulb anyway, I'll probably just go FP.

That may be but have looked at all my friend's 42 to 55 inch Plasma's and LCD's and none of them were any better than my Mits 82 inch that had been calibrated.
post #155 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

In all honesty, who wants to watch a horror flick or a sweet movie in the daylight.... Not me.. This daylight stuff and the ones who use it to knock down is really silly.

What he said. Love all these people who $3K to $4K on a plasma or lcd only to hang it above the fireplace or in a living room with wall to wall windows.
post #156 of 1927
The bulb may not be as big an issue as you think.

I have an epson 8700ub projector, which uses a 200w bulb, and i can view a >100" screen on the eco setting, with the only drawback in a lit room being poor/washed out contrast. Even with the obviously poor contrast, the bright areas of the screen are easily viewable in any light.

Considering a RTPV basically provides it's own dark-room to keep black blacks in any room light, the only consideration would be brightness of the remaining picture. I would wager the eco setting on the epson puts out a similar amount of light as the mitsu, with a marginally smaller picture.

Obviously speculation (good or bad) can't replace hands-on experience, but i don't think the bulb is necessarily a dealbreaker.

I'd be more angry about mitsubishi's continued use of 120hz wobulation, and inherent inability to create proper 24hz film cadence when the larger 1080p native dmd's are available and already in consumer use elsewhere.
post #157 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post

What he said. Love all these people who $3K to $4K on a plasma or lcd only to hang it above the fireplace or in a living room with wall to wall windows.

Agree. LCD's can't match RPTV's. I just took a Sony KDL-60NX810 to shut me up about my KDS-R70XBR2. Needless to say, it's on Ebay and the funds will purchase a proper replacement: another RPTV.
post #158 of 1927
This might contain some new information:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...40-dlp-3d-rptv
post #159 of 1927
I just found this, published on the 18th.

It seems Mitsubishi will be dropping its LCD line, and focusing on 73 inch and larger RPTVs, as well as front projectors from 2011 on. The logic appears to be not to compete at 65 inches or less, with so many affordable flat screen offerings up to 65.
They're focusing on big.

http://www.twice.com/article/465478-..._Drops_LCD.php
post #160 of 1927
Honestly, I was waiting for CES announcements because I figured they were going to be showing off a new laservue in the 85" range.

That would give them a 65", 75" & 85", they could retire color wheels from their Diamond series and lower the price more(!).

I respect their commitment to rear projection televisions, but color wheels and bulbs are deal breakers for a lot of people. They need to show they are high end, not old technology that everyone else abandoned.

Heck at 92" you'd think they'd consider 1440p or better. A higher definition DLP and a nice upscaler... sigh. Can I run Mits for awhile?
post #161 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

Heck at 92" you'd think they'd consider 1440p or better. A higher definition DLP and a nice upscaler... sigh. Can I run Mits for awhile?

You really need to think like they do. Release this now and in a years time they release what you actually wanted.

It's the Apple approach.
post #162 of 1927
I agree with you regarding Apple. There was a very good article (I'll find it later) about why Jobs doesn't want to use Flash. It's all about money, forcing consumers to spend more for content. Not exactly Apple' s original mission statement.

Regarding color wheels, as much as I love new technology new isn't always better. Some of the Samsung LED DLP's showed uneven LED wear, and LED was touted as the future for DLP.

The 73838 has a brilliant picture even though it uses old technology.

Laser may indeed be the way to go for the future. I just wish I could be reassured that it's safe to watch something illuminated by laser light. I realize there is diffusion, but still...
post #163 of 1927
I just read that the Texas Instruments plant in Japan that was knocked out of commision was the sole source of DLP chipsets. I don't know how that will impact Mistubishi. I have not been participating in much online discussion because of a bout of tendonitis/carpal tunnel in my right hand.
post #164 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

Heck at 92" you'd think they'd consider 1440p or better. A higher definition DLP and a nice upscaler... sigh.

See http://www.gadgetvenue.com/mitsubish...ions-02173131/

There are other articles out there about Ultra High Def upscaling efforts by Mit's. No way to tell how close they are to implementation and deployment.
post #165 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I respect their commitment to rear projection televisions, but color wheels and bulbs are deal breakers for a lot of people. They need to show they are high end, not old technology that everyone else abandoned.

Their commitment to rear projection comes from having well established factories pumping out tv's at a good profit margin. They are keeping rear projection going because they don't have to invest much to make a profit. As soon as it is no longer worth it to them there are out of the market.

They are just squeezing a few more drops of profit on a long history of rear projection(I can't blame them) But I don't expect much in the way of lasers,or 3 chip tv's. Their target demographic(for the most part) is the "bang for the buck" crowd so they must keep the costs down and research into new tech at a minimum.
post #166 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd View Post

Their commitment to rear projection comes from having well established factories pumping out tv's at a good profit margin. They are keeping rear projection going because they don't have to invest much to make a profit. As soon as it is no longer worth it to them there are out of the market.

They are just squeezing a few more drops of profit on a long history of rear projection(I can't blame them) But I don't expect much in the way of lasers,or 3 chip tv's. Their target demographic(for the most part) is the "bang for the buck" crowd so they must keep the costs down and research into new tech at a minimum.

Their target is also people who can't/won't go FP and don't like tiny little LCD's and Plasmas.
post #167 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

Their target is also people who can't/won't go FP and don't like tiny little LCD's and Plasmas.

It's definitely this and not that I fall into a certain demograph of a humanoid.
post #168 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

Their target is also people who can't/won't go FP and don't like tiny little LCD's and Plasmas.

Right on! Perfectly willing to pay a premium for bigger and better. Never been an LCD fan. 3 DLPs one for each laser!
post #169 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

Their target is also people who can't/won't go FP and don't like tiny little LCD's and Plasmas.

That would describe me. I actually like LCD's; my 46" makes a great computer monitor but for the living room I want BIG and front projection just won't work there.

S
post #170 of 1927
I do not disagree that they are selling to you guys that can't/wont go to front proj. but there are few (present company excluded) people willing to pay a premium for these tv's and the sales numbers show it.
I for one look forward to the 92" as it will solve the WAF for a big "easy to use" cost effective TV,and I hope it lives up to the expectations we have for it.
post #171 of 1927
I have a little time before I have to pull the pin on a larger display. Bought the 70" Qualia and am using the 60" LCD Sony exchanged for it. I'm waiting to see what the next year brings from Mits in the 92" form factor (like 4K, laser source). I suspect that there is an upper limit on the size of an RPTV, as home door sizes are not changing. I've got direct access to the viewing room thru a double door, but others may not be so lucky. I don't think 4K is essential, as I have a 1080p FP in a dedicated room projecting to a 12' wide screen, and at my viewing distance of 16', don't have any pixel problems. I figure 92" at 6' won't be a problem.
post #172 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

I have a little time before I have to pull the pin on a larger display. Bought the 70" Qualia and am using the 60" LCD Sony exchanged for it. I'm waiting to see what the next year brings from Mits in the 92" form factor (like 4K, laser source). I suspect that there is an upper limit on the size of an RPTV, as home door sizes are not changing. I've got direct access to the viewing room thru a double door, but others may not be so lucky. I don't think 4K is essential, as I have a 1080p FP in a dedicated room projecting to a 12' wide screen, and at my viewing distance of 16', don't have any pixel problems. I figure 92" at 6' won't be a problem.

A single door is taller than 2 double doors width. Highly doubt they'll be making any set taller than approximately 80" that won't fit through a normal door and they certainly won't make them deeper than approximately 36" width of a normal entry door.
post #173 of 1927
I personally think Mits is making a huge mistake abandoning the 65"ers. That size should be their entry point for big screens. That is the max size many people will go in their home theaters. And DLP is a terrific option for them. It is just as good as Plasma IMHO. and better than LCD to my eyes. It is a great low cost entry point alternative for people who want big but not gigantic. And I think the real upper limit for RPDLP is 92". Anything over that and I'm going Front Projection. In fact, I would go Front Projection for anything over 73". They are taking a big risk leaving out 65" IMO. Just my take on this.
post #174 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I personally think Mits is making a huge mistake abandoning the 65"ers. That size should be their entry point for big screens. That is the max size many people will go in their home theaters. And DLP is a terrific option for them. It is just as good as Plasma IMHO. and better than LCD to my eyes. It is a great low cost entry point alternative for people who want big but not gigantic. And I think the real upper limit for RPDLP is 92". Anything over that and I'm going Front Projection. In fact, I would go Front Projection for anything over 73". They are taking a big risk leaving out 65" IMO. Just my take on this.

I suspect they looked at the number of TV's they've sold at each size before making their decision. Chances are that they weren't selling enough that were smaller than 73" to make sense continuing.
post #175 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I personally think Mits is making a huge mistake abandoning the 65"ers. That size should be their entry point for big screens. That is the max size many people will go in their home theaters. And DLP is a terrific option for them. It is just as good as Plasma IMHO. and better than LCD to my eyes. It is a great low cost entry point alternative for people who want big but not gigantic. And I think the real upper limit for RPDLP is 92". Anything over that and I'm going Front Projection. In fact, I would go Front Projection for anything over 73". They are taking a big risk leaving out 65" IMO. Just my take on this.

I don't agree that it's a huge mistake starting at 73" but I do agree that I think 65" should be the entry point.
post #176 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

I don't agree that it's a huge mistake starting at 73" but I do agree that I think 65" should be the entry point.

Agreed. Not a huge mistake because as one of the other commenters said; I'm sure they looked at sales and competition at that level. But the other companies drop off point is a great transition/entry point for Mits. Starting at73" is a risk IMO. It allows competition to encroach upon your space without protecting/defending assets in theirs.
post #177 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Agreed. Not a huge mistake because as one of the other commenters said; I'm sure they looked at sales and competition at that level. But the other companies drop off point is a great transition/entry point for Mits. Starting at73" is a risk IMO. It allows competition to encroach upon your space without protecting/defending assets in theirs.

Why defend an area you aren't making much profit in. They're probably gonna save a boat load discontinuing the 60" and 65" while increasing profit and marketing on their larger sets.

The only thing I worry about is the price point the 73" will start at since there is nothing below it. The 60" and 65" was priced to lure consumers from other technology while getting a bigger screen. The 73" doesn't have really have anything to compete with except their own larger sets.
post #178 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post
Why defend an area you aren't making much profit in. They're probably gonna save a boat load discontinuing the 60" and 65" while increasing profit and marketing on their larger sets.

The only thing I worry about is the price point the 73" will start at since there is nothing below it. The 60" and 65" was priced to lure consumers from other technology while getting a bigger screen. The 73" doesn't have really have anything to compete with except their own larger sets.
That is the point. You actually make a better case than me for keeping the 65". So what are they going to lure customers with now except huge size? Perhaps they plan to put more emphasis on Front Projection. If so. Good luck with that. The consumer market is tiny. I just think the big transition point that they need to stay competitive in is the point where other technologies back off. And that seems to be 65". As long as they are not losing money at that size. I think it is risky to abandon it. That's just my opinion.
post #179 of 1927
Anyone have a link to a statement that says they're discontinuing the 60 and 65"? I hadn't heard that.

Frankly, I'm having a problem finding a store that carries the Diamond series. Everyone is sticking with the 700, 600 and C series. Though to be fair, they make good entry points.

Also, does anyone know when the 2011 models will be announced/available?
post #180 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
That is the point. You actually make a better case than me for keeping the 65". So what are they going to lure customers with now except huge size? Perhaps they plan to put more emphasis on Front Projection. If so. Good luck with that. The consumer market is tiny. I just think the big transition point that they need to stay competitive in is the point where other technologies back off. And that seems to be 65". As long as they are not losing money at that size. I think it is risky to abandon it. That's just my opinion.
No, it won't be just size, price will still be part of the lure. I think they will be pushing the bigger sets and focusing more on a commercial market that's where the real money is.

I don't think it's a risky move at all but then I again I don't know the numbers and I'm sure they know a lot more than we do concerning the future of the market.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 92" Mitsubishi DLP @ CES!!!