or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread. - Page 9

post #241 of 1132
Calibration:
First, an observation....I've tried auto calibration using Chromapure. Chromapure Autocal cal options include CMS, and/or Grayscale and/or Gamma. When I run grayscale only resultant dE's are well below 2 (most levels being below 1). When I run Gayscale/gamma (or a gamma only autocal after a grayscale only autocal) dE's at several points (20, 30, & 60% in this case) get horrrible....well above 5 (all with red levels way too low). So, it seems, the Chromapure gamma autocal routine does not maintain white balance. Has anyone else noticed this?

----

I have my Oppo 93 connected to the Minime HDMI input 2. If I power up the Oppo but have Input 1 selected on the Minime when I do select Input 2 I have no video. To get video I have to cycle power on the Oppo while the mini is set for the Oppo. I presume this is a HDCP issue but my question is, is there a way to force an HDMI handshake without resorting to power cycling the Oppo (it's also possible to wade thru various Oppo menus to restore video but this is cumbersome).
post #242 of 1132
I was wondering does anyone know what kind of internal CPU the radiance uses, is this known? and is there a difference in processor between say a XS and the mini 3D?
post #243 of 1132
No they use the same VP ic in all Radiance series as far as I know,
The mini uses the same VP chip as the XS-3d/XE-3D/XD (Sigma VXP) although the XS uses same FPGA package as XE but XE has More Gates/ higher pin count on the cyclone II FPGA thus can do PoP/PbP..
post #244 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

Don't worry.

You can use 1080p24 output for all your sources and you can save different input settings (e.g. processing or deinterlacing settings) for up to FOUR 1080p24 sources per physical input. In other words: you're covered

OK I tried to search this thread for my answer and the above quote is the closest hit.

Pre-purchase question (just to be clear):
Does the RadianceMini support 1080/24P from DVD sources or not?

TIA
post #245 of 1132
Quote:


Does the RadianceMini support 1080/24P from DVD sources or not?

Yes.
post #246 of 1132
HEY guys!

I just bought the RadianceMini 3D along with the new Pan7000 and will get them Friday. I have never had or played with a processor till now. I got the mini for the ability to do V-stretch during 3-D playback for scope 3-D movies. I will be mostly using it for all Blu ray feeds 1080p. What other bells and whistles will i find attractive to use with my set up?

This will be my set up:
Panasonic PT- AE7000 with a Panamorph lens,
Lumagen RadianceMini 3D processor,
1-OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Player 3-d,
3-lipsch KL-650-THX Speakers
4-Klipsch THX (side)Surround Speakers KS-525-THX,
2-Klipsch KW-120-THX Subwoofer
1-Klipsch KA-1000-THX Amplifier
1-XPA-5 Five Channel Audio Power Amplifier
1-UPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier
1-YAMAHA RX-A2000 3D 7.2 CH HOME THEATER RECEIVER
155''wide center stage ATS SCREEN
post #247 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen View Post

HEY guys!

I just bought the RadianceMini 3D along with the new Pan7000 and will get them Friday. I have never had or played with a processor till now. I got the mini for the ability to do V-stretch during 3-D playback for scope 3-D movies. I will be mostly using it for all Blu ray feeds 1080p. What other bells and whistles will i find attractive to use with my set up?

This will be my set up:
Panasonic PT- AE7000 with a Panamorph lens,
Lumagen RadianceMini 3D processor,
1-OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Player 3-d,
3-lipsch KL-650-THX Speakers
4-Klipsch THX (side)Surround Speakers KS-525-THX,
2-Klipsch KW-120-THX Subwoofer
1-Klipsch KA-1000-THX Amplifier
1-XPA-5 Five Channel Audio Power Amplifier
1-UPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier
1-YAMAHA RX-A2000 3D 7.2 CH HOME THEATER RECEIVER
155''wide center stage ATS SCREEN

I'm considering buying one too. Since I'm not an owner yet I can't comment definitively, but I think using the radiance CMS will be a big win. That's one big screen your getting I'm looking at 130 to 140" screens, about as big as I can go in my room.
post #248 of 1132
I would like to calibrate 3d on my JVC rs50. I'm using the auto-calibration version of Chromapure and am very pleased with the 2d calibration. I know that I have to place the glasses over my Chroma 5. What changes do I need to make on the Mini to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Mark
post #249 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

I'm considering buying one too. Since I'm not an owner yet I can't comment definitively, but I think using the radiance CMS will be a big win. That's one big screen your getting I'm looking at 130 to 140" screens, about as big as I can go in my room.

I already have the screen and audio stuff its the processor and PJ thats arriving tomorrow .
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #250 of 1132
I just got the RadianceMini 3D yesterday. As I'm using RGB Full Output from HTPC to the receiver, then to Radiance which I force to output YCbCr 4:2:2, my question is this will crush anything below 16 and above 240 from full RGB. How can I scale the RGB 0-255 input to YCbCr 16-240 output in Lumagen?

Update: NVM. I found the answer. Just set the input RGB level to FULL.
post #251 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen View Post

HEY guys!

I just bought the RadianceMini 3D along with the new Pan7000 and will get them Friday. I have never had or played with a processor till now. I got the mini for the ability to do V-stretch during 3-D playback for scope 3-D movies. I will be mostly using it for all Blu ray feeds 1080p. What other bells and whistles will i find attractive to use with my set up?

This will be my set up:
Panasonic PT- AE7000 with a Panamorph lens,
Lumagen RadianceMini 3D processor,
1-OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Player 3-d,
3-lipsch KL-650-THX Speakers
4-Klipsch THX (side)Surround Speakers KS-525-THX,
2-Klipsch KW-120-THX Subwoofer
1-Klipsch KA-1000-THX Amplifier
1-XPA-5 Five Channel Audio Power Amplifier
1-UPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier
1-YAMAHA RX-A2000 3D 7.2 CH HOME THEATER RECEIVER
155''wide center stage ATS SCREEN

Enjoy learning the user interface
post #252 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen View Post

HEY guys!

I just bought the RadianceMini 3D along with the new Pan7000 and will get them Friday. I have never had or played with a processor till now. I got the mini for the ability to do V-stretch during 3-D playback for scope 3-D movies. I will be mostly using it for all Blu ray feeds 1080p. What other bells and whistles will i find attractive to use with my set up?

I'd recommend that you use the parametric controls to adjust the gamma properly. I don't know if this has changed, but it was the one thing I could never calibrate properly on my old AE3000 (pre Mini3D as well). Getting the gamma flat should allow good shadow detail at the low end and good image depth in the brighter scenes. You can also change the whole gamma by + or - 0.1 steps (and save this as a different memory if you wish). Doing this with a paused scene will help you to understand the big effect gamma has on the image. Depending on your room and preferences you will be able to see which gamma setting works best for you. (In my case with a HD350 in a removable 'bat tent' setup I like a customised 2.3 gamma which lowers to 2.2 below 10-15IRE to help with the shadow detail).
post #253 of 1132
well i did some dabbing around and called tech support and they walked me through a lot sand was super helpful BUT now my New Pan 7000 was a dud as it had a bad constant flicker so back to panasonic it went today as I have to wait till the ship me a new PJ so I have to wait about a week to week and a half
post #254 of 1132
so has your replacement panny come in yet?
post #255 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

so has your replacement panny come in yet?

get it friday tomorrow
post #256 of 1132
I am so green when it comes to thus stuff, but could I use this device to upscale my 480p satellite signal for sports to 720p or 1080p? I thought about upgrading my reciever to one with an HDMI output, but I do not want to upgrade to HD programming as there are only so many hockey games I can watch making the monthly investment not worth it. So I figured, since I am thinking of doing a dual 3D projector set up, the Lumagen 3D mini may also give a little bit better quality viewing experiance for when I do watch my programming on Satellite. I also watch hockey on my computer and PS3 via GameCenter Live and although they claim some games are in HD, the streaming quality looks barely 480p. Thanks for any input fellas. In the meantime I will dig through the forums for info on scalers and such.
post #257 of 1132
Customer support is A1+++++++++
in my book with Lumagen as they are helpful in every way that can be. Customer support is worth its weight in Gold!
post #258 of 1132
going to have a mini on the way shortly...

for those that are using a splitter on the back end to go to multiple displays...

which one are you using? i was just going to order the basic monoprice 1x2 splitter, but wanted to get some feedback...

tia.
post #259 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

going to have a mini on the way shortly...

for those that are using a splitter on the back end to go to multiple displays...

which one are you using? i was just going to order the basic monoprice 1x2 splitter, but wanted to get some feedback...

tia.

I am using what I think is the same as the Monoprice - got it from Amazon. Feeding 2 projectors from a Radance XE, one of them a 3D Optoma. No issues at all. Works great. Radiance is sending back the video EDID, not feeding back the display's EDID, FWIW.
post #260 of 1132
^^^

cool, that's what i wanted to hear... thanks!

and thanks for the note on video vs. display edid...
post #261 of 1132
I have a modestly priced HDMI V1.3 4 way spilter on mine (only 3 used) and have the memA to memC set for each of the displays. It's surprising that with a little thought this little device can be used to accurately display my 3 sources (via my Arcam Av9 as a switcher for 2 sources) onto 3 displays.

I didn't get round to updating mine this weekend and I see there is another update now...I'll wait until next weekend now I think Lumagen are faster than me.
post #262 of 1132
^^^

cool, thanks...

yea... once it sunk into my head how the memory architecture really works, i realized that i could make it be as easy or as complex as i wanted...

i think i have it flowcharted out for my sources and displays (this really helped me understand what was going on)... we'll find out once the delivery man shows up...
post #263 of 1132
got my mini this week and temporarily hooked it up today (a shoutout to mike at avs for great service and wicked prompt shipping)...

haven't really played with it yet (meter should come today or tomorrow)... so just putzing around now and am going to do a firmware update...

a few initial things jump out though...

- no more stuttering scrolls!!! yay!!
- resolution switches from fios are handled rather quickly. another yay!!!
- i'm glad i spent a lot of time learning how it works before i got it, because i think i would have been a bit baffled by the menus/memories...

question on physical setup...

i'm going avr to mini to spliiter... any opinions on whether it would be best to put the mini close to avr or close to splitter? to make it "easier" on myself, i'm going to put the splitter in the vicinity of the pj and display. it'll be a 25 foot run to get to where the splitter is going to live.

i don't think there should be a problem either way, but never hurts to see the experiences of others...
post #264 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytser View Post

I am so green when it comes to thus stuff, but could I use this device to upscale my 480p satellite signal for sports to 720p or 1080p? I thought about upgrading my reciever to one with an HDMI output, but I do not want to upgrade to HD programming as there are only so many hockey games I can watch making the monthly investment not worth it. So I figured, since I am thinking of doing a dual 3D projector set up, the Lumagen 3D mini may also give a little bit better quality viewing experiance for when I do watch my programming on Satellite. I also watch hockey on my computer and PS3 via GameCenter Live and although they claim some games are in HD, the streaming quality looks barely 480p. Thanks for any input fellas. In the meantime I will dig through the forums for info on scalers and such.

Didn't see an answer to your question so I will give it a go.

The Radiance scale any input resolution to 720p or 1080p. We use our award winning "No-Ring(TM)" sclaing which I think people agree is the best for converting SD to HD, and 720p to 1080p.

For SD material try to select 480i (or 576i) output from the satellite box. You might need to turn off "480p" in the Radiance "User EDID" to coerce your Sat box to output interlace. If your satellite box does not output 480i (or 576i) for SD material, you can use the Radiance reinterlace feature to convert it back to interlace, which then allows the Radiance to do the deinterlacing.

The Radiance also has edge enhancements and noise reduction that can make significant improvements to the poor sources you mention.
post #265 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I'd recommend that you use the parametric controls to adjust the gamma properly.

FYI: If you use the Raidance to correct Gamma, start by measuring Gamma and then using the "Gamma Factor" to get the coarse Gamma close. Then you can go in and use the parametric Grayscale/Gamma to dial in each level.

For problem areas you can even move the Radiance graysclae/Gamma points, clustering more in the problem area. This can be near black in many displays, but there can also be problem areas at any level.
post #266 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

got my mini this week and temporarily hooked it up today (a shoutout to mike at avs for great service and wicked prompt shipping)...

haven't really played with it yet (meter should come today or tomorrow)... so just putzing around now and am going to do a firmware update...

a few initial things jump out though...

- no more stuttering scrolls!!! yay!!
- resolution switches from fios are handled rather quickly. another yay!!!
- i'm glad i spent a lot of time learning how it works before i got it, because i think i would have been a bit baffled by the menus/memories...

question on physical setup...

i'm going avr to mini to spliiter... any opinions on whether it would be best to put the mini close to avr or close to splitter? to make it "easier" on myself, i'm going to put the splitter in the vicinity of the pj and display. it'll be a 25 foot run to get to where the splitter is going to live.

i don't think there should be a problem either way, but never hurts to see the experiences of others...

Glad your initial results look good.

On where to put the Mini: Generally it goes with the other equipment. However, if your Porjector/display is DVI, or has an older HDMI chipset (such as 1.0 or 1.1), or even if the display/projector just has a weak HDMI input design, it is reasonable to put the Mini near the projector/display and allow it to receive the input from the long cable.

NOTE: Many Receivers/PrePro "damage" video even in passthough mode. A magazine reviewer called once saying that he had issues until he took his AVR out of the video loop. And that with the AVR in "pass-through" mode. So, make sure the AVR is in pass-through and be aware it might be messing with the video even in pass-through mode. This is why we recommend the XS or XE so they can do video switching. Of course the Mini is a great way to get the Radiance award winning processing for less.

As always you can email support at lumagen.com with questions.
post #267 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

FYI: If you use the Raidance to correct Gamma, start by measuring Gamma and then using the "Gamma Factor" to get the coarse Gamma close. Then you can go in and use the parametric Grayscale/Gamma to dial in each level.

Jim, would you advise to do this over trying to get the closest gamma curve from the display itself before using parametric controls in the Radiance?

Say that the display (a JVC X7 for example) has a gamma of 2.0 in "normal", but you get close to your target (2.3) using the 2.5 preset in the PJ. Would you do this and then use parametric controls, or would you leave the display gamma to normal, move the gamma factor to .3 and then use parametric controls?

I've done it the first way round til now (use display gamma preset first to get close to target) as I thought the general rule was to try to use the display controls first, then the Radiance, but I'm interested to find out if there is something to gain from going the other way around. I tried it once but couldn't see any obvious improvement.
post #268 of 1132
JRP certainly knows far more than I do, but doing the display first, followed by the gamma factor adjustment will usually reduce the amount of time it takes to complete the task. Doing a 21 point gamma/grayscale is a time consuming PITA if done manually but necessary for best PQ based upon personal experience.
post #269 of 1132
Manni01:

I generally recommend using the Radiance for most calibrations after putting the controls for the display/projector in their default/neutral positions. However, some calibrators choose to use controls in the display when available and when they function properly. Either method can work. So you can choose the Gamma in the projector or set it to its default and then use the Gamma_Factor in the Radiance. So, if you used, the Projector Gamma to get close and then used the Radiance 11/21 point Gamma to dial it in, that should work well.

dsinger:
Using the Projector Gamma in conjunction with the display as you suggest can work. The only real issue I see is if using the projector "Gamma" control is incorrect and gives you a strange curve rather than a true Gamma curve. If the Projector Gamma control is not done well, I would suggest selecting a "neutral" setting and then using the Radiance Gamma_Factor for the coarse Gamma adjustment. Either way, you can then use the Radiance 11/21 point Grayscale/Gamma control to dial in the gamma at each level.

-------------------

One additional comment: The Radiance output defaults to RGB. I suggest you select the Radiance output as 4:2:2 if the display/projector properly deals with the info frame - most, but not all, HDMI display/projectors do this properly. This gives you 12-bit for Y, Cb, and Cr, which can help when calibrating, and especially when you need to change Gamma using the Radiance controls.
post #270 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

Manni01:
I generally recommend using the Radiance for most calibrations after putting the controls for the display/projector in their default/neutral positions. However, some calibrators choose to use controls in the display when available and when they function properly. Either method can work. So you can choose the Gamma in the projector or set it to its default and then use the Gamma_Factor in the Radiance. So, if you used, the Projector Gamma to get close and then used the Radiance 11/21 point Gamma to dial it in, that should work well.

Thanks Jim.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.