or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread. - Page 24

post #691 of 1138
Hi,

can anybody on this thread share his "general" setup for a Radiance Mini for a given display ?

Specific questions that I have:

(1) What Output Color Format do you use ?

> manual recommends YCbCr 4:2:2 (if display supports it), others have mentioned that as well... How would one test if a YCbCr 4:4:4 output would be better for a given display ? I have a Panny VT50...

(2) What Dithering do you use ?

I t would appear that "Auto" is a good default setting, but I found in my testing that 8-bit output is better than any other option on my TV's...

> on my Sony KDS-R60XBR1 (RPTV, built 2006), "Auto" resembled the "8-bit" setting and was visually the best

> on the Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (Plasma, 2012), "Auto" resembled the "10-bit" setting, but 8-bit was the visually best setting

What are your experiences ?

I've tested visually using a grey scale, checking for smoothness... Is there a better way to determine a dithering setting ?

(3) Setup Prior To Calibration

** I edited this out, this question made was answered.


Thanks !

- M
Edited by Iron Mike - 12/13/12 at 1:24am
post #692 of 1138
Hi, I would like to ask what does it mean when in the output - cms menu it says "currently selected" and "in use". I want to calibrate mema for both 2d and 3d, using cms 0 for 2d and cms2 for 3d. In the output setup I selected accordingly, but the terms in the cms menu confuse me. I dont want to have to calibrate cms0 again frown.gif.
post #693 of 1138
Hi, I would like to ask what does it mean when in the output - cms menu it says "currently selected" and "in use". I want to calibrate mema for both 2d and 3d, using cms 0 for 2d and cms2 for 3d. In the output setup I selected accordingly, but the terms in the cms menu confuse me. I dont want to have to calibrate cms0 again frown.gif.
post #694 of 1138
You can use the Radiance output copy menu to copy your results from CMS0 to a different CMS memory.
Press "Menu, Output, Copy, Ok, (CMS:CMS0:CMSx), Ok".

Randy Freeman
post #695 of 1138
Thanks.
Can I set memA in such a way that when 2d content is shown cms0 is used, and when 3d content is used cms1?

The reason I ask is because the labeling confuses me. When I set 3d to be used with cms1, in the cms section it still says "cms0 in use", even when I am playing 3d content.
post #696 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73 View Post

Thanks.
Can I set memA in such a way that when 2d content is shown cms0 is used, and when 3d content is used cms1?
The reason I ask is because the labeling confuses me. When I set 3d to be used with cms1, in the cms section it still says "cms0 in use", even when I am playing 3d content.

Should be. In the output section, you can pick either 2D or 3D setting and you can choose whatever CMS you want... Now, I personally have not go in and check the cms section if it is being * or not...
post #697 of 1138
So what exactly is the difference between a cms being "in use" or "currently selected"?
post #698 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73 View Post

So what exactly is the difference between a cms being "in use" or "currently selected"?
A CMS in use means there is calibration data in the CMS.....it's not empty....
post #699 of 1138
Hey guys,

Got my ChromaPure and meter here along with the USB>RS232 adapter and should get the mini later this week. My question is I know I need a female to female serial cord, but I assume the one that comes with the mini will be too short. My questions are how long is the serial cord that comes with the mini and would there be any issue with buying and using this 25' cord http://www.m2cables.us.com/Serial-Cable-25Ft-p/m2pcm-1850-25.htm instead of the supplied shorter cord which would prevent me from having to transport the mini in and out of the equip closet to the CPU each time I do a calibration?
post #700 of 1138
That´s the wrong one.You need a Nullmodem-Cable like this

http://www.m2cables.us.com/Cable-Null-Modem-DB9-Female-Female-25FT-p/m2pcm-1960-25.htm

The lenght should be ok. I use a similar Serial-Cable as extension. This has Male/Female connectors.
post #701 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredman2005 View Post

That´s the wrong one.You need a Nullmodem-Cable like this
http://www.m2cables.us.com/Cable-Null-Modem-DB9-Female-Female-25FT-p/m2pcm-1960-25.htm
The lenght should be ok. I use a similar Serial-Cable as extension. This has Male/Female connectors.

Thanks for giving me a heads up to the nullmodem-cable! Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Nullmodem and the cable I linked exactly?

Thx
post #702 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredman2005 View Post

That´s the wrong one.You need a Nullmodem-Cable like this
http://www.m2cables.us.com/Cable-Null-Modem-DB9-Female-Female-25FT-p/m2pcm-1960-25.htm
The lenght should be ok. I use a similar Serial-Cable as extension. This has Male/Female connectors.

Thanks for giving me a heads up to the nullmodem-cable! Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Nullmodem and the cable I linked exactly?

Thx

 



The one you linked to is NOT a null modem cable.... (and to be a smart a$$ there is also approx. $1.50 price difference biggrin.gif)

 

____

Axel

post #703 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post




The one you linked to is NOT a null modem cable.... (and to be a smart a$$ there is also approx. $1.50 price difference biggrin.gif )

____
Axel

Well, M2cable called it Nullmodem cable, so I think it is one. I can´t see whether pin2 and pin3 are crossed or not. Can you see it?

@Toe
This is the difference between a nullmode cable and a normal serial cable. With a nullmodem cable pin2 and p3 are cross connected, while serial is straightforward, pin to pin soldered.
post #704 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post




The one you linked to is NOT a null modem cable.... (and to be a smart a$$ there is also approx. $1.50 price difference biggrin.gif )

____
Axel

Smart ass! tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredman2005 View Post

Well, M2cable called it Nullmodem cable, so I think it is one. I can´t see whether pin2 and pin3 are crossed or not. Can you see it?
@Toe
This is the difference between a nullmode cable and a normal serial cable. With a nullmodem cable pin2 and p3 are cross connected, while serial is straightforward, pin to pin soldered.

Thanks for the explanation! smile.gif I think when he said that was not a Null Modem cable, he was responding to my post where I linked the cable that was not a Null Modem cable, but maybe Axel can confirm this. I want to make sure I am buying the right cable here.
post #705 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post




The one you linked to is NOT a null modem cable.... (and to be a smart a$$ there is also approx. $1.50 price difference biggrin.gif )

____
Axel

Smart ass! tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredman2005 View Post

Well, M2cable called it Nullmodem cable, so I think it is one. I can´t see whether pin2 and pin3 are crossed or not. Can you see it?
@Toe
This is the difference between a nullmode cable and a normal serial cable. With a nullmodem cable pin2 and p3 are cross connected, while serial is straightforward, pin to pin soldered.

Thanks for the explanation! smile.gif I think when he said that was not a Null Modem cable, he was responding to my post where I linked the cable that was not a Null Modem cable, but maybe Axel can confirm this. I want to make sure I am buying the right cable here.


Yes, I was responding to Toe's post. And yes, as fredman correctly posted, the Lumagen needs a null modem connection.

 

____

Axel

post #706 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post


Yes, I was responding to Toe's post. And yes, as fredman correctly posted, the Lumagen needs a null modem connection.

____
Axel

Silly question--would the RS-232 to USB cable I got with my Audyssey Pro kit work as a connection to a laptop?
post #707 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post


Yes, I was responding to Toe's post. And yes, as fredman correctly posted, the Lumagen needs a null modem connection.

____
Axel

Silly question--would the RS-232 to USB cable I got with my Audyssey Pro kit work as a connection to a laptop?

I don't know (I have not tried mine yet), but it is worth a try.  I would assume the USB/RS232 adapter part is generic and chances are the chip set works. For the RS-232 connection part you would need to make sure the gender matches and it is a null modem. If it is not working right away, you could a null modem extension and/or gender changer (e.g. very cheap @ monoprice). Please let us know what you find out.

____

Axel

post #708 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

I don't know (I have not tried mine yet), but it is worth a try.  I would assume the USB/RS232 adapter part is generic and chances are the chip set works. For the RS-232 connection part you would need to make sure the gender matches and it is a null modem. If it is not working right away, you could a null modem extension and/or gender changer (e.g. very cheap @ monoprice). Please let us know what you find out.
____
Axel

I will...I'm connecting my Lumagen to our Darbee and then to our VT50 as soon as we finish 100 hour burn-in (Darbee connected but left off for now), and make sure I've got the latest firmware for the Mini.
post #709 of 1138
I tried a USB to serial adpator from Radio Shack and it works fine for backing up the config and for performing updates on my MIni3D, however it didn't work with the autocal. No idea why as I tried various settings, but in the end I got sent an adaptor from my Chromapure dealer (thanks Ricky smile.gif) and his one worked fine in all respects. No harm in trying what you've got, but don't get too frustrated if it doesn't work.
post #710 of 1138
Getting a null modem usb-db9 adapter is essential, as I learned the hard way by ordering a generic adapter, which is now somewhere in my “for future use…yeah right” bag of antiquated cables that I cannot throw away no matter how much I want to. It’s great that you can back up settings before making changes, just in case you want to revert.

This is the one I got, and it works like a charm: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WL8QDQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
post #711 of 1138
Just for clarification:

The adapter itself is a standard USB-RS232C adapter. The right cable makes the null modem, as I explained above.
post #712 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I tried a USB to serial adpator from Radio Shack and it works fine for backing up the config and for performing updates on my MIni3D, however it didn't work with the autocal. No idea why as I tried various settings, but in the end I got sent an adaptor from my Chromapure dealer (thanks Ricky smile.gif) and his one worked fine in all respects. No harm in trying what you've got, but don't get too frustrated if it doesn't work.

Rat Shack must've changed sources. Luckily my older RS adapter works fine for update, backup, and calibration (including autocal).
post #713 of 1138
What are the sizes (in percent to the active screen area) of the large and small test patterns that can be displayed when going to Menu > Other > Test Pattern > Reference ?

Thanks.

- M
post #714 of 1138
Does anyone have any suggestions or best practices when first setting up the Mini 3D?

I will be using it with a Dish 922, Oppo 103, Xbox 360, and Epson 6010. Are there any settings that I for sure need to change in say the OPPO?

I will also be using Chromapure AutoCal and would it be wise to calibrate for all of my devices, I am thinking it would be since it should be pretty quick and painless.

Just trying to be pro-active.

Thanks!
post #715 of 1138
Autocal uses internal testpatterns, so you can't really calibrate devices individually with it. Only brightness, contrast and sharpness you could set per device.
post #716 of 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73 View Post

Autocal uses internal testpatterns, so you can't really calibrate devices individually with it. Only brightness, contrast and sharpness you could set per device.

Got it, but would it still be helpful to calibrate say my Dish because I don't watch that in "THX" mode, I use Living Room mode, so I could use the AutoCal to get that closer to a more balanced picture...right?
post #717 of 1138
By changing the preset you potentially change the way the display measures, so yes.
post #718 of 1138
If someone have for sale a used mini 3D or a B stock or refurb, I am interested to buy... Just send me a PM
post #719 of 1138
Anyone else having issues with the Mini dropping a signal from a game console? My 360 yesterday kept getting a dropped signal and the only way to get a picture back was to do an off/on cycle on the Mini. I tried swapping out HDMI cables and bypassing the Darbee neither of which helped. Any ideas what is going on? confused.gif I have it set on game mode. Only thing I am using on the Mini is NLS.
post #720 of 1138
I am having that same problem. What receiver do you use?

The issue with mine though was I removed the Lumagen and I still got the video drop but without the Lumagen the picture would come back. The Lumagen just wouldn't recover.

I run a Denon 4311.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.