or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Looking for a projector $2000 - $3000....Suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a projector $2000 - $3000....Suggestions?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Looking for a projector for a 14' x 20' room with no windows. I have read some older dead threads and would like a fresh perspective. I want 1080P and the screen will most likely be a 110".

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
post #2 of 13
I would narrow it down to the below list, but the specific one you buy really depends what you value most in the image.

LCOS
------------------------------------------------------
JVC HD250
Epson 21000 (to be released in Feb this year hopefully)

LCD
------------------------------------------------------
Epson 8700ub

DLP
------------------------------------------------------
Mits hc4000 or Benq w6000
post #3 of 13
Don't forget the LCoS projector Sony VPL-VWPRO1. Although it may retail for $3300. You may find them below that price with an extra lamp included.

This one is at the top of my list unless the Epson 21000R shows me something better.

The Sony has performed so well against current competing models that the reviewer of this website http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns has made it the reference projector for future reviews. That was after reviewing most of the units or their counterparts listed in coder-guy's list.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvedepo View Post

Looking for a projector for a 14' x 20' room with no windows. I have read some older dead threads and would like a fresh perspective. I want 1080P and the screen will most likely be a 110".

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Epson 8350 has had a lot of nice press on the forum. You could do a projector and screen for around $2500. I have the JVC HD250 and a screen for under $3k.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Well I was pretty sold on the JVC. Since you have one would you recommend it or direct me towards the Epson?
post #6 of 13
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Don't forget the LCoS projector Sony VPL-VWPRO1. Although it may retail for $3300. You may find them below that price with an extra lamp included.

This one is at the top of my list unless the Epson 21000R shows me something better.

The Sony has performed so well against current competing models that the reviewer of this website http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns has made it the reference projector for future reviews. That was after reviewing most of the units or their counterparts listed in coder-guy's list.

Sony should not be under-played when comparing it to other competitors. I have an older VPL-HW10 paired with a 92" HC 1.0 gain screen and people come over and think its a plasma. the picture is just amazing and I can even use it with a pretty decent amount of ambient light with a very watchable picture. My vote, if my opinion matters, is that if you like a great REALISTIC looking picture for both sports and movies, then LCOS is the way to go, and JVC or SONY should be highly considered. If you like a very DYNAMIC, BRIGHT and almost TOO SHARP picture, then a DLP projector like the BENQ W6000 is for you. The picture is extremely bright, and razor sharp, while LCOS projectors tend to be a bit softer lending to a more realistic and less artificial looking picture. I am not a fan of LCD for various reasons, so Look at those three. I'm not sure if there is enough out there in the way of information to properly suggest or talk about the new Epson 21000R. just my .02!!
post #8 of 13
Optoma hd8200 is not quite as bright as the Benq W6000, but it has FI and less rainbows (if that affects you).

The Epsons seem to be having early lamp failures.
post #9 of 13
We went with the JVC HD250 . . . with No Regrets!

My wife now finally says "WOW! I can't get over the picture . . . it's just stunning".

The projector is ceiling mounted (light controlled room) at 14' 2" away from a Carada 118" diagonal, Bright White (1.4 gain) screen.

Call Daniel here at AVS and he will be glad to assist you, with this projector purchase.

Daniel HutnickiSales
A/V Science, Inc.
585-671-2937
daniel@avscience.com

Hope this helps!

Mike
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Theater View Post

We went with the JVC HD250 . . . with No Regrets!

My wife now finally says "WOW! I can't get over the picture . . . it's just stunning".

The projector is ceiling mounted (light controlled room) at 14' 2" away from a Carada 118" diagonal, Bright White (1.4 gain) screen.

Call Daniel here at AVS and he will be glad to assist you, with this projector purchase.

Daniel HutnickiSales
A/V Science, Inc.
585-671-2937
daniel@avscience.com

Hope this helps!

Mike

How much does it cost?
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
How is the 2.35? Can I do it decently without an anamorphic lens?
post #12 of 13
I sent ya a PM about my Sony HW10 1080P SXRD projector and DVDO Edge combination I am getting ready to put up for sale.

Let me know if you have any questions.

You can read more about the HW10 here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1077759

Cheers

RJ
...
post #13 of 13
I would first of all recommend you to wait a bit, as BenQ has announced at CES 2011 of 3 new projectors to arrive as early as March:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375269,00.asp

That's if you're still considering the W6000. Of course the W6000 will still be a superior projector; however, it may be interesting to see what the new W1100 and W1200 offers. It may be wishful, but what if the specs seem to somehow converge up to the W6000 standards, while keeping it in the 1.5k range. I would definitely want to see a comparison with the new W1100, W1200, and W6000 to see the difference in performance and to see how far the gap is. I wonder if BenQ will release a new model for the W6000....

Either way, you can't go wrong with the W6000, it is a very refined unit, and will offer lots of pop and wow for you and your viewers. It has definitely enough reviews and happy owners out there to testify in its name. I have yet to meet an unsatisfied W6000 users. Unless they are dealing with RBE effects which are rare with the W6000 due to its 4x color wheel speed. Even those rare individuals who complained about RBE, did note that if it wasn't for RBE they would have the W6000 for themselves because the lumen output is amazing, and the blacks and depth of contrast gives breathtaking production.

I wouldn't recommend the HW10, if anything go for the HW15, but for that price you might as well get the W6000, since they are pretty similar.

Here is a comparison on the HW15 and the W6000:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...petitors.php#7

"Bottom line - no contest in brightness, even though, as a pure movie watching projector the Sony's 500+ lumens are pretty good and will work for most.

The overall image of the BenQ W6000 is more dynamic looking than the the Sony. Let me put it this way, the Sony seems "reserved" the BenQ, is more pop and wow. The BenQ is, though, a little less perfect (ie. their dynamic iris isn't as smooth as the Sony).

I do believe I had that same philosophical difference between the W5000 and the HW10 last year. My own preference is for the BenQ W6000, but overall, these are roughly comparable as competitors, different, but both of very good quality.
"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Looking for a projector $2000 - $3000....Suggestions?