or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Downton Abbey" on PBS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Downton Abbey" on PBS - Page 6

post #151 of 237
Amazon has the uncut S-2 episodes for free with Prime. They look pretty good in HD, but not as good as the BDs.
post #152 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Amazon has the uncut S-2 episodes for free with Prime. They look pretty good in HD, but not as good as the BDs.

Really? I looked the other day and they had the first episode and/or a special free, but the other episodes had price tags on them? I'm a prime member.

OK: I looked at it wrong, the streaming is free for prime members, the price is only if you want to buy it. Cool, but I don't see any Close Captioning with Amazon. Hulu does have captioning available and the pq is pretty decent. Anyway, I have alternatives and will get caught up soon with the series. I've already watched 3 episodes of #2 and I'm hooked again, I love the characters.
Edited by rebkell - 1/9/13 at 9:02pm
post #153 of 237
Man, that was a gut wrenching episode tonight on PBS. This is undoubtedly one of the best shows on TV. Of course that is just my opinion, but I don't think I've ever met anybody that started watching this show that isn't still watching it.
post #154 of 237
^^My opinion, too. Wife and I got hooked last Spring after renting the DVDs for the past seasons via Netflix and marathoning. Saw the opening 2 hours of this season while in England this past Sept. and it renewed our passion for it. Watching it in HD is sooo much better. Quality production, acting and story telling. Just a great treat to have on TV right now. Support your local PBS.
post #155 of 237
Downton Abbey is one of my favorite TV series, maybe the very favorite. I have an all regions BD player and buy quite a few BDs from Amazon UK, so bought the Downton Abbey Series 3 BDs and then paid extra for the Xmas episode. Series 3 is riveting and it was worth the premium I paid to get it early. I won't comment on anything here until it has been shown on PBS. I will say that the tragic event depicted in last night's episode was overwhelming. Julian Fellowes is not afraid to break his audience's hearts.
post #156 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

... I will say that the tragic event depicted in last night's episode was overwhelming. Julian Fellowes is not afraid to break his audience's hearts.

I was quite surprised by that. She was my favorite character also.
post #157 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

I was quite surprised by that. She was my favorite character also.

Yeah Lady Sybil was a sweetheart, more genuine than both of her sisters put together. No wonder Branson loved her.
post #158 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yeah Lady Sybil was a sweetheart, more genuine than both of her sisters put together. No wonder Branson loved her.
She was, by far, my favorite sister and I was quite annoyed that they've "written her out" of the show:(
post #159 of 237
The pain, the pain... to quote Dr. Smith.....
post #160 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

She was, by far, my favorite sister and I was quite annoyed that they've "written her out" of the show:(

Now if they'd only write Branson out I'd have some solace. But not until he irritates the hell out of Robert over baptizing his grand caught a Papist!
post #161 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post


Downton Arby's

That was funny tongue.gif
post #162 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

^^My opinion, too. Wife and I got hooked last Spring after renting the DVDs for the past seasons via Netflix and marathoning. Saw the opening 2 hours of this season while in England this past Sept. and it renewed our passion for it. Watching it in HD is sooo much better. Quality production, acting and story telling. Just a great treat to have on TV right now. Support your local PBS.

We've been watching Masterpiece Theater for almost as long as it's been on. It is what we watch almost exclusively on Sunday nights. And yes, support your local PBS. It's really the only television worth paying for.
post #163 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

She was, by far, my favorite sister and I was quite annoyed that they've "written her out" of the show:(

The actress asked to be released to pursue other opportunities.
post #164 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

She [Sybil] was, by far, my favorite sister and I was quite annoyed that they've "written her out" of the show:(

Mrs. Hughes had it right when, after hearing of Sybil's death, said "She was the sweetest soul under this roof." The wrenching scene depicting Lady Sybil's death was hard to take. I admit it, even seeing it for the second time I was very deeply moved; Great television!

I feel sorry for Tom Branson. Here is a guy who, after having participated in the Irish risings, is caught in England with the responsibility of raising his titled baby daughter. That creates a conundrum, to say the least.
post #165 of 237
Shocking, indeed. We both expected Branson to take off and leave Sybil and the baby behind.

It's interesting how they resolve so many plot lines as quickly as they do, compared to America 22-episode seasons. Like the financial crisis, Mrs. Hughes' spot, etc. But this Mr. Bates is starting to drag on too long for me. He's one of my favorites though. In episode 1, I vowed to never watch another one if he got sacked. That's how immediately compelled I was with this show.

The quality of my station is not great. It looks like widescreen SD to me and sound is only in stereo. The two seasons I watched on Amazon through my PS3 were better than this. Will definitely rewatch for the uncut versions and better quality.
post #166 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

The quality of my station is not great. It looks like widescreen SD to me and sound is only in stereo. The two seasons I watched on Amazon through my PS3 were better than this. Will definitely rewatch for the uncut versions and better quality.

The entire series is now available from Netflix on BD, but it's still only in stereo on BD.
post #167 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The entire series is now available from Netflix on BD, but it's still only in stereo on BD.

Blame the two channel audio on ITV, or whoever handled the show's audio. The audio on all three season's BDs is two channel PCM. It sounds rather good but is certainly inferior to 5.1 lossless.
post #168 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Blame the two channel audio on ITV, or whoever handled the show's audio. The audio on all three season's BDs is two channel PCM. It sounds rather good but is certainly inferior to 5.1 lossless.
The original audio for the program is indeed 2-channel, but for whatever reason, PBS has been upconverting it to 5.1 for the US releases. I can almost guarantee it's a simple matrix upconversion rather than a full-on 5.1 mix. In which case, I'd much rather have the original 2.0.
post #169 of 237
I assume tonight's episode on PBS was the season #3 eps 7 and 8 and that next week will be the 2012 Christmas special, would that be a correct assumption?
post #170 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I assume tonight's episode on PBS was the season #3 eps 7 and 8 and that next week will be the 2012 Christmas special, would that be a correct assumption?

Yes.
post #171 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The entire series is now available from Netflix on BD, but it's still only in stereo on BD.

I think the show was made in stereo. Don't think ITV commission any 5.1 content in the UK. (The BBC do some - Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, London 2012 Olympics were all 5.1)
post #172 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I assume tonight's episode on PBS was the season #3 eps 7 and 8 and that next week will be the 2012 Christmas special, would that be a correct assumption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yes.

The reason I asked was that according to imdb, the Christmas special is I think 67 minutes or thereabouts, it's 60 something and the guide lists Downton Abbey as 2 hours next Sunday, I could see 1-1/2 hrs, but two hours seems a bit long, they may have some kind of behind the scenes thing like they did last year? Any kind of little specials on the DVD/Blu-rays?
post #173 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

The reason I asked was that according to imdb, the Christmas special is I think 67 minutes or thereabouts, it's 60 something and the guide lists Downton Abbey as 2 hours next Sunday, I could see 1-1/2 hrs, but two hours seems a bit long, they may have some kind of behind the scenes thing like they did last year? Any kind of little specials on the DVD/Blu-rays?
I recall the Series 3 Christmas Special running about 90 mins or so.
post #174 of 237
KQED's schedule shows next week's episode to 95 minutes.....
post #175 of 237
duration says almost 2 hours. Am I looking at the wrong description? duration 1:56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: DVI)
post #176 of 237
The special, "Journey to the Highlands" has a 93 min run time.
post #177 of 237
Maggie Smith will be interviewed on 60 Minutes tonight, 7 pm ET/PT on CBS, obviously timed to coincide with tonight’s season finale on PBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

duration says almost 2 hours. Am I looking at the wrong description? duration 1:56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: DVI)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The special, "Journey to the Highlands" has a 93 min run time.

PBS has been significantly time compressing all episodes this season, apparently to avoid having to edit out scenes from the longer UK episodes.

The one-hour PBS episodes have actually contained several minutes of additional footage not included the UK or DVD/BD releases.

Tonight’s episode may also include new footage, so might be worth watching even if you’ve already seen the original version.
post #178 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Well, that was a shocker of an ending.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Not if you heard he asked to be written out of the series... to pursue other opportunities. The moment they started the endearing speech at the hospital I though... here we go and the moment they showed him driving my wife said ...

post #179 of 237
Must be no one saw this enormous popularity the show has gained. People must have signed on for a minimal number of seasons, and several seem to have bailed. The Brits have a set number of actors in their reparatory and there seems to always be work if you're good.

Of course in the land of rabid, cutthroat capitalism across the pond, fleeing a show before the big boys want you to has proven to have dire consequences.
post #180 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Must be no one saw this enormous popularity the show has gained. People must have signed on for a minimal number of seasons, and several seem to have bailed. The Brits have a set number of actors in their reparatory and there seems to always be work if you're good.

Of course in the land of rabid, cutthroat capitalism across the pond, fleeing a show before the big boys want you to has proven to have dire consequences.

Dan Stevens, who played the late lamented Matthew Crowley, is already working on a biopic about WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange. He's also lined up a gig in another feature film, starring Liam Neeson, which is in preproduction. Looks like Stevens isn't going to be out of work anytime soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Downton Abbey" on PBS