or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Synology DS1511+ first look (mini review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Synology DS1511+ first look (mini review) - Page 11

post #301 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush78 View Post

I got my 1511 plus 2x 510s at NCIX.com

For us Canucks who would buy from NCIX, get them to price match against Bestdirect dot ca. Currently Best Direct has it for a hundred dollars cheaper. (DS1511+ that is, DS510 is almost the same price between the two)

Which would be better to go for? WD or Hitachi, 3 TB Green?
post #302 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

Did you know you can install mods/3rd party apps on these NAS boxes? Has anyone tried playing with these, like a DLNA server perhaps?

I'm confused... I thought the DiskStation Manager software has DLNA support built in. I can stream movies and photos to my PS3 via DLNA. I'm running the latest version 3.2 of DiskStation Manager. Or do you mean something else by DLNA "server"?
post #303 of 581
There are pkgs for Plex Media Server and such.
post #304 of 581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemberry View Post

Hello everyone,

WoW, 10 pages and growing. I am interested in picking up the DS1511+. It will be used primarily as a media server hooked up to my network. I will also install Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and possible Couch Potato as well. And will probably run a few of the other servers too. This unit appears to be at the 9th (10th) month of its life cycle. Would it be best to wait a couple of more months for the new model, or this model plenty powerful?

I appreciate any incites.

The DS1511+ is a NAS, not a media server. Yes, there are some very basic media serving type functions available and some after-market packages, but it is extremely under-powered for these types of things... even running a very large mp3 streamed audio library with iTunes service, etc, could somewhat impact the device performance. If you wanted to use the email server in it, torrent clients, etc, it would probably be fine, but it takes a lot of horsepower to do media SERVING vs file SERVING, as media serving would typically involve the ability to do on-the-fly transcoding of audio and video, etc.

If you need a device for media serving functions I would recommend a separate PC of some kind (or Mac Mini, etc) and let the Synology do what it's best at, rock hard redundant storage that is very fast and super reliable.
post #305 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The DS1511+ is a NAS, not a media server. Yes, there are some very basic media serving type functions available and some after-market packages, but it is extremely under-powered for these types of things... even running a very large mp3 streamed audio library with iTunes service, etc, could somewhat impact the device performance. If you wanted to use the email server in it, torrent clients, etc, it would probably be fine, but it takes a lot of horsepower to do media SERVING vs file SERVING, as media serving would typically involve the ability to do on-the-fly transcoding of audio and video, etc.

If you need a device for media serving functions I would recommend a separate PC of some kind (or Mac Mini, etc) and let the Synology do what it's best at, rock hard redundant storage that is very fast and super reliable.


I appreciate your input I was already thinking that if I want to play around with Synology that I start with a much smaller unit, ie:ds211j. After spending some time and seeing what it is good at, I can revisit the idea of getting the ds-1511+. Thx again
post #306 of 581
Or you could go nuts with a DS3611xs.
post #307 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

Or you could go nuts with a DS3611xs.

Yea!!!!!!! wOOt How many thousands did I want to spend? I ordered a ds-211j and I'll throw in a couple of 3TB drives and have some fun.

Next year when the refresh happens I'll look to see if I want more storage. I heard though my buddy's Rep, that the 1511+ won't be refreshed until spring. One of the new chips they are putting in, to do compression, isn't going to be ready for this December.
post #308 of 581
Hey all,

I'm thinking about picking up a DS1511+ very soon. I already have (4) 2TB HD204UI Samsung HDD's that I planned on using in a RAID5 setup.

I see that Synology lists MKV as a supported format under Media Server specs on their product page, found here: http://www.synology.com/products/spe...g=us#p_submenu

My question is - If I have a 1080p MKV file on the Synology, and load up my Xbox360 - can I simply select the file and stream the MKV - from the NAS *DIRECTLY* to the Xbox360?

I'm currently using my custom built Windows 7 desktop machine to stream using PS3 Media Server, to my Xbox. I'm thinking about making the switch to a Macbook Pro. I'm basically wondering if I can eliminate the need for a computer to be turned on, in order to stream from my movie collection.

I guess a more simple question would be: Can the DS1511+ transcode MKV files for the Xbox 360?
post #309 of 581
Thread Starter 
The DS1511+ does support transcoding, but I would be skeptical of its ability to transcode really high bitrate stuff (BD rips, etc) and have it work. Personally I have found DLNA and UPNP streaming to be a joke, because there is no "standard" and every vendor implements it differently.

You are far better off simply streaming the native format from the DS1511+ without transcoding it, and getting a competent streamer on the other end (hooked up to the TV) that can play the file, regardless of format, bitrate, etc.
post #310 of 581
i have the ds1511+ and love it
i use it to server up my files like my bluray rips over to my htpc and works flawlessly
i am getting a sonos too and will use the ds1511+ to server up my audio files to my sonos
post #311 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The DS1511+ does support transcoding, but I would be skeptical of its ability to transcode really high bitrate stuff (BD rips, etc) and have it work. Personally I have found DLNA and UPNP streaming to be a joke, because there is no "standard" and every vendor implements it differently.

You are far better off simply streaming the native format from the DS1511+ without transcoding it, and getting a competent streamer on the other end (hooked up to the TV) that can play the file, regardless of format, bitrate, etc.

Good to know. At this point, I don't really feel like picking up another component for my home theater. I'd really like to just stick with my Xbox 360 for now. On the other hand, streaming 1080p MKV's from my laptop running PS3 Media Server to my Xbox seems to work great. Therefore, I don't see why I couldn't stream from the DS1511+ to my laptop, and then my laptop to the Xbox, with the laptop doing the transcoding. The only downside to this solution is that the laptop must be powered on in order to properly watch the movie.

On the flipside, if I'm just going to use the volume as raw storage and have the laptop continue to do the transcoding, then perhaps I'd be better off with just a simple Apple Time Capsule, since I need a "true" wireless-N router anyways. Or maybe I'll order the 1511+ and try it out first. I already have (4) 2TB HD204UI drives anyways - might as well put them to use. Besides, I have read reviews from more than a handful of people who've claimed to stream 1080p just fine from the DS1511+ to their Xbox.
post #312 of 581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejam2k View Post

Good to know. At this point, I don't really feel like picking up another component for my home theater. I'd really like to just stick with my Xbox 360 for now. On the other hand, streaming 1080p MKV's from my laptop running PS3 Media Server to my Xbox seems to work great. Therefore, I don't see why I couldn't stream from the DS1511+ to my laptop, and then my laptop to the Xbox, with the laptop doing the transcoding. The only downside to this solution is that the laptop must be powered on in order to properly watch the movie.

On the flipside, if I'm just going to use the volume as raw storage and have the laptop continue to do the transcoding, then perhaps I'd be better off with just a simple Apple Time Capsule, since I need a "true" wireless-N router anyways. Or maybe I'll order the 1511+ and try it out first. I already have (4) 2TB HD204UI drives anyways - might as well put them to use. Besides, I have read reviews from more than a handful of people who've claimed to stream 1080p just fine from the DS1511+ to their Xbox.

Well, maybe it will work, I don't know. What I do know is that I could not successfully transcode full 1080P BD rip MKVs from my Windows Home Server which has a noticeably more powerful processor than the wimpy 1.6ghz Atom that is in the DS1511+.

Now, if you're dealing with very lossless (internet cough downloads cough) "1080P" then maybe it will work better than the really high bitrate BD rip stuff that might also contain lossless audio tracks.

Anyways, I can appreciate you not wanting another component, but, a Popbox would (likely) do what you want and it's like $100 and the size of a paperback book.
post #313 of 581
Hi guys

I am pretty new at this NAS thing, and pretend to buy a Synology soon too.

Main purpose is to allow my pioneer lx-83 (dlna 1.5 compatible) to stream music files from the NAS appliance, and later on allow the media player to do that too.

Do you think I will be able to do that ?

I am asking this because I donĀ“t know much about dlna access and network, the music files are only accessible in the pioneer when indexed through the windows media player 11 defined folders on the PC itself


thks in advance
post #314 of 581
Thread Starter 
I assume your Pioneer would work but unless someone here has it the only way to know for sure is to contact Synology and ask them or buy it and try it yourself.
post #315 of 581
Thks

I probably will, was curious in knowing if someone else here has done this on any DLNA enabled receiver with either synology, qnap, thecus etc

I will investigate further
post #316 of 581
It's been a while since I last contemplated getting a 1511+. Now, there's a 1512+ and a 1812+. From the math I've done, with hard drive prices still fairly high, it makes more sense for me to get a 1511+ with 5x 3TB HDD's (can get for $1,570 total) vs. 1512+ ($30 more) vs. 1812+ with 8x 2TB HDD's ($1,960 total). Looking at 1511+ vs. 1512+, I don't see much difference other than slightly higher read/write speeds for 1512+, but does it make any real world difference? It's only $30 more though. The 1812+ seems a little overkill to me for now. Other than 8 drive bays and possibly higher read/write speeds, anything else in it worth considering?

I'll be using the Synology for local media streaming (1:1 BD rips) to my PCH A-300, Boxee Box and jailbroken ATV2, and for running Squeezebox server. Is there any benefit getting more RAM (other than the included 1GB) for this? I plan to also use a Windows PC to run Boxee Media Manager, Air Video, Serviio and other media server apps and point them to the NAS shares. I'm upgrading from WHS v1, which allows you to do all this in a single box, but it looks like Synology doesn't support these kind of apps for the most part.
post #317 of 581
Thread Starter 
You are much better off getting the 1512+. It costs about the same as the 1511+ and has a faster cpu, support for USB 3.0, more RAM, 4TB drives, etc.
post #318 of 581
Thanks... would you recommend more RAM or is 1GB fine for the use I described? Also, what would one use the USB port for? Synology only allows storage expansion via its DX510 unit right?
post #319 of 581
Thread Starter 
There is absolutely no need for more RAM unless in monitoring the health of the box you determine that you are running low on the 1GB of RAM it ships with.

File transfers and most services use a rather negligible amount of RAM. As I don't run the services you are going to run, I can't guarantee that you won't need to add RAM, but it is unlikely, and if you do need to do it, it's a trivial matter.
post #320 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

. . . Also, what would one use the USB port for?

I use two USB ports for backups. They always have drives attached, and one is used for the 1am daily-backup while the other is used for the 2am partial-weekly-backup.

Considering how long some of the backups take, USB3 might be worth the upgrade.
post #321 of 581
Thread Starter 
Also as far as I know, you must add DX510 units to increase the expansion beyond five drives, I don't think the system will allow you to add disks from USB, eSata, etc, as disks used for volumes.
post #322 of 581
I believe you're right. Going for either 1512+ or 1812+ .
post #323 of 581
Thread Starter 
I think you will be pretty happy. I have two friends with 1511+ now and both of them are very very happy with the purchase. Good luck.
post #324 of 581
I have had the 1511 for over a year now and it has been a solid performer but, I would at least go to the 1512 if I was buying today.
post #325 of 581
Had a 1511 loved it. Sold mines on ebay and now have a 1812. Dependent upon where you buy it from they both can be had for the same price. Might as well get the 1512.
post #326 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You are much better off getting the 1512+. It costs about the same as the 1511+ and has a faster cpu, support for USB 3.0, more RAM, 4TB drives, etc.

Any reason why a 1512+ would run 4TB drives but a 1511+ wouldn't?
post #327 of 581
^^the new processor and chipset
post #328 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Also as far as I know, you must add DX510 units to increase the expansion beyond five drives, I don't think the system will allow you to add disks from USB, eSata, etc, as disks used for volumes.

It's my understanding you can only add 2 510s max for expansion. Is that correct?
post #329 of 581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

It's my understanding you can only add 2 510s max for expansion. Is that correct?

Yes, two additional enclosures is the maximum, if you need more than 15 drives then you need a bigger unit like the DS1812+ which can go up to 18 drives or the Rackstation RS2211+ which can go up to 22 drives.

Obviously those enclosures have more of a medium business price tag. There is no other consumer priced, out of the box, system that can expand up to 15 drives as affordable as the DS1511+ and none that have a long small/medium business type of warranty either.
post #330 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Yes, two additional enclosures is the maximum, if you need more than 15 drives then you need a bigger unit like the DS1812+ which can go up to 18 drives or the Rackstation RS2211+ which can go up to 22 drives.

Obviously those enclosures have more of a medium business price tag. There is no other consumer priced, out of the box, system that can expand up to 15 drives as affordable as the DS1511+ and none that have a long small/medium business type of warranty either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

It's my understanding you can only add 2 510s max for expansion. Is that correct?

Sorry?
Are we saying that using the USB 3.0 ports on the 1512 (or 1812) will not identify an external hard drive connecte to it? I just bought a 1512 and have yet to set it up yet as I am backing up my data.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks
Shawn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Synology DS1511+ first look (mini review)