or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Next Gen SSX on the way!!!!!!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next Gen SSX on the way!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 4

post #91 of 235
Thread Starter 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edItmLRisDc
post #92 of 235
downloading demo now. it's about time a fun game came out.
post #93 of 235
Demo seems pretty good. Trying out the new control scheme to see if I prefer it to the classic one. Played long enough to best all the AVSers on my friend list, but they'll probably have beaten me again by the next time I log in...

The graphics are fine, but aren't exactly bowling me over. And the controls seem a little touchier than I remember the PS2 SSXs being. Still, solid stuff that I'll be picking up on release day.

- Jer
post #94 of 235
I played a lot of ssx, tricky and 3 way back and the demo is very nice: I am trying to use the new control scheme and it's going to take a little longer to get used to (when preloading I tend to turn left/right before the jump when I don't want to :P )
post #95 of 235
Although it's been a few years since I played SSX (SSX3 last, but SSX was my favorite launch game on the PS2), I found myself unconsciously using the classic controls, as I was consciously trying to use the new control scheme. The results of the union were unfavorable

I only had time to get in one run, so I'll need some more adjustment time. Disregarding the control issues, it basically felt like I was playing SSX3. I think I expected a bit more from the graphics also. I'll give the demo a few more runs before I decide to get it. I was going to just get it on Gamefly, but the Online Pass is an issue for enjoying the multiplayer, so I might just not get it at all, or wait till the price comes down a lot... It will be a nice game for the fall and getting stoked for the new snow season.
post #96 of 235
I gave myself a hand cramp.

I like it.
post #97 of 235
Anyone have times/scores to compare? I suck at tricking, but I have a somewhat decent 2:08.68 time on the race track.
post #98 of 235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Anyone have times/scores to compare? I suck at tricking, but I have a somewhat decent 2:08.68 time on the race track.

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...hp?f=18&t=9774
post #99 of 235
I had a 2:13.xx on the race track. Diggin the demo. Played with the new controls and kept hitting that damn rewind button. Tried to rewind after wiping out and couldn't correct/land it so not sure what the purpose is or I didn't do it right. Will try the classic controls to see if I have better luck but the new ones aren't bad. Just wish it had a 3d option. Looking fwd to the release with all the different slopes to try.
post #100 of 235

LOL, I know better than to look over there
post #101 of 235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

LOL, I know better than to look over there



I know how you feel....those guys are serious!
post #102 of 235
They went from 60fps on SSX3 to 30fps on this one. *facepalm*

I'm not an FPS whore, but when they go the opposite direction from previous installments, it's something I find very disappointing. SSX is a very, VERY quick game (especially this one), and half the framerate hurts the overall fluidity of it. A shame.
post #103 of 235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

They went from 60fps on SSX3 to 30fps on this one. *facepalm*

I'm not an FPS whore, but when they go the opposite direction from previous installments, it's something I find very disappointing. SSX is a very, VERY quick game (especially this one), and half the framerate hurts the overall fluidity of it. A shame.

The game looks and plays beautifully IMO I like that the game's producer states that the gameplay engine rendering at 60fps & the graphics engine locked at 30fps means you still get the responsive controls but with a rock solid framerate. To him obviously gameplay is king too, which is how it should be.......... The game looks and more importantly plays excellent IMO.

Here are some trick tips from Todd Batty himself that were posted over at Merqurycity.com.........

-sig trick worth most

-flips worth more than spins

-when not doing sig trick do L-R, R-L, B-X or X-B. The 2-input/step tricks are worth much more than the single button press

-never dupe your trick. If you see dupe trick callout off a big jump rewind immediately and re-jump, you'll get more in the long run even with the penalty

-never change your trick mid-flight

-build your multiplier up as fast as possible. Get into super tricky and do one grind trick after another at about a 1 second per cadence (if your multiplier doesn't go up you are doing it too fast). Once at 20x never change your grind trick mid-grind.

-one combo top to bottom, learn to watch the little chevrons beside your main score, they are the combo timer. Do a manual if no jumps, but can always just ollie

-use the terrain for big air opps anytime, just boost up the wall and then jump off. Can double the number of tricks you can do in a single run. This is really the key once you master the above and what will keep people playing this game forever


Tuesday cant get here quick enough! This game is going to absolutely consume me!
post #104 of 235
I finally found some time to play the demo last night. The new controls will definitely take time to get used too. I was constantly hitting the rewind button on my first run. I am so used to the classic control. I did expect a little more from the graphics, but they aren't bad by any means. I'm looking forward to see more tracks and using different characters next Tuesday.
post #105 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

I'm not an FPS whore

Sorry, but if you actually tried the demo and think it's a problem, you are.

Then again, if you are saying this without trying the demo, simply from reading it, you also are... so... .
post #106 of 235
Umm, I've played the demo various times on both consoles. I have played SSX3 to DEATH for years. It's my fave snowboarding game of all time. So yes, for someone with so much experience with a 60fps game like SSX3, going to the new SSX and it's crappy ass framerate REALLY hurts the gameplay IN COMPARISON.

It's not even a debate at this point. Half the framerate is NOT rock solid. 60fps is rock solid. 30fps is... well, it's the typical framerate of games... AVERAGE. That works for cinematic games that don't rely on incredibly quick inputs and the sensation of high speed. It's a massive failure on EA's part.

Like I mentioned on the XBox section, it's like playing CoD at 30fps, when it's been 60fps since CoD2. Cutting half the framerate, well EVERYONE would notice.

Just go back and forth between both games. I dunno how EA could be happy with sacrificing half the framerate...
post #107 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

Umm, I've played the demo various times on both consoles. I have played SSX3 to DEATH for years. It's my fave snowboarding game of all time. So yes, for someone with so much experience with a 60fps game like SSX3, going to the new SSX and it's crappy ass framerate REALLY hurts the gameplay IN COMPARISON.

It's not even a debate at this point. Half the framerate is NOT rock solid. 60fps is rock solid. 30fps is... well, it's the typical framerate of games... AVERAGE. That works for cinematic games that don't rely on incredibly quick inputs and the sensation of high speed. It's a massive failure on EA's part.

Like I mentioned on the XBox section, it's like playing CoD at 30fps, when it's been 60fps since CoD2. Cutting half the framerate, well EVERYONE would notice.

Just go back and forth between both games. I dunno how EA could be happy with sacrificing half the framerate...

You're a framerate whore. 99.9% of gamers don't care. You do. That's fine... but don't pretend this is important to more than a fraction of other users than yourself.

Personally, my opinion is that not being able to get past 30fps is a massive failure on your part. It's a great game, too bad you are so obsessed as to miss it. But, as always, YMMV.

And no, it's nothing like playing CoD or any other FPS. FPS's involve very quick rotations of the camera that are important to gameplay. SSX doesn't. If you want to compare to a racing game (e.g. Burnout Paradise which IIR was 60fps) that's a much better comparison.
post #108 of 235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

You're a framerate whore. 99.9% of gamers don't care. You do. That's fine... but don't pretend this is important to more than a fraction of other users than yourself.

Personally, my opinion is that not being able to get past 30fps is a massive failure on your part. It's a great game, too bad you are so obsessed as to miss it. But, as always, YMMV.

And no, it's nothing like playing CoD or any other FPS. FPS's involve very quick rotations of the camera that are important to gameplay. SSX doesn't. If you want to compare to a racing game (e.g. Burnout Paradise which IIR was 60fps) that's a much better comparison.

Amen and agreed. To get hung up on something like this in light of the experience as a whole is a shame.

If any AVSers want to add me to their friends list for this game, please do so! I wont be hitting it hard until the full game comes out Tues, but it would be great to play with you guys

PSN ID= toe23
post #109 of 235
Spent an hour or so on the demo last night. Really enjoyed it. I think I'm going to like the new control system over classic, but it is taking some getting used to.

I couldn't muster better than 2:29 in the race. Good enough to squeak out a silver but no where close to the gold. Having a wipe out nearly every run due to some button mashing or taking a few moments to make a halpipe run up a mountain wall probably didn't help much.

I do like that the game feels just like it always has. I am slightly disappointed that the graphics don't seem to be a great leap forward over what I remember from the PS2 days. But the track is HUGE, the online system looks really cool with ghosts and constantly running tournaments.

I'll be spending some more time with the demo tonight. Got to get that time down

I have a pre-order for the game so will be getting more in to it next week too, but please add me if you'd like some easy wins.
post #110 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

You're a framerate whore. 99.9% of gamers don't care. You do. That's fine... but don't pretend this is important to more than a fraction of other users than yourself.

Personally, my opinion is that not being able to get past 30fps is a massive failure on your part. It's a great game, too bad you are so obsessed as to miss it. But, as always, YMMV.

And no, it's nothing like playing CoD or any other FPS. FPS's involve very quick rotations of the camera that are important to gameplay. SSX doesn't. If you want to compare to a racing game (e.g. Burnout Paradise which IIR was 60fps) that's a much better comparison.

It IS a great game, never said otherwise. But to say that cutting the framerate in half isn't a step backwards, well, good for you for settling for less.

Oh, I wasn't aware that this WASN'T somewhat of a RACING game that requires sharp turns and quick timing at the high level of speed that you're rushing through the levels. Oh wait... it is.

The framerate doesn't break the game. However, it does hurt its fluidity quite a bt in comparison.

Don't be such a fanboy, I am a huge fan myself. I'm free to express the negative aspects of a game, instead of praising it all the time and disregarding what was obviously a step back.
post #111 of 235
Didnt really like the demo. Think it was just the level, as it was kinda bland. Got bored with it real quick.

Controls seemed great though.
post #112 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

Don't be such a fanboy, I am a huge fan myself. I'm free to express the negative aspects of a game, instead of praising it all the time and disregarding what was obviously a step back.

I'm not being a fanboy. There are other things I don't like about this game. Framerate isn't one of them. It's not a step back, FOR ME, and (in my opinion) for most gamers. In fact, the overwhelming feedback is it doesn't look good enough. How much worse do you think it would look if it were running 60hz and had half the rendering time, hm?

This will be my last reply on the subject, since you are so obviously incapable of getting it.
post #113 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurms View Post

Didnt really like the demo. Think it was just the level, as it was kinda bland. Got bored with it real quick.

There are three "levels"... the tutorial level (which is very bland), JT2 (the "Race It" track), and Bulldog (the "Trick" track). Did you find all three very bland?
post #114 of 235
this game just gets faster and more ridiculous the more you play it. it's awesome. can't wait to break out a wingsuit in the full game.
post #115 of 235
Reverted to classic control. I like it so much better. Finally got gold in the race track. Getting my mojo back on the trick track slowly but surely. Scored 14mil on my best run.

Scoring confuses me. There is the consecutive trick counter in the lower left and a multiplier in the middle. Not sure when the best method to cash them is. Obviously one long string of tricks all the way down is best but that doesn't always work out.
post #116 of 235
Game seems to lack the feeling of "cutting" of the old version. For example in the PS2 version I could really tell the difference between how thick the snow was and when my board was on an edge cutting or carving a turn. Can't really put my finger on it, but something feels "off" in this version. However its been a LONG time since the PS2 days so maybe its just me. I like the world map way of navigating and the course seem HUGE. Clearly this game is going to keep entertained for a long time.
post #117 of 235
there has only been 1 awesome snowboarding game released ever.

and it was 1080 on the N64.

i tried the new SSX demo and i hated it. i dont understand why magazines give this game such a higher score.

the graphics and animation are terrible. when you jump into a wall of ice you somehow can continue snowboarding without you falling. game helps you on the rails.

all i want is a next generation 1080. with improved physics and graphics and animation, instead of an arcade snowboarding game that feels like it is only worth 10 bucks.
post #118 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

there has only been 1 awesome snowboarding game released ever.

and it was 1080 on the N64.

i tried the new SSX demo and i hated it. i dont understand why magazines give this game such a higher score.

the graphics and animation are terrible. when you jump into a wall of ice you somehow can continue snowboarding without you falling. game helps you on the rails.

all i want is a next generation 1080. with improved physics and graphics and animation, instead of an arcade snowboarding game that feels like it is only worth 10 bucks.

I couldn't agree more that SSX is ridiculous. It is incredibly easy to go all the way down a giant mountain performing enormous jumps and long rail slides without even coming close to a wipe-out. The graphics are hardly impressive in many respects and there are some wonky things where even getting lost in the tress doesn't cause your combo to end.

Where we differ is that I find the game incredibly FUN. There is a lot of challenge built in to the scoring system. Trying to build your trick combo while still keeping your flow multiplier building to 20x is HARD. Finding the best lines to wind up at the end of a trick run to hit the last jump adds to the difficulty.

I played the trick run last night over and over and over again and enjoyed every minute of it. Got my PB up over 17million and there is no end in sight to the improvements I can make to raise that up.

I hope I get my copy today. My sister got it for me for Christmas and had it shipped to her from Amazon, I'm not sure if she did the release day arrival or not. I can't wait.

For those getting the game, please add me as a friend, the online play for this seems really interesting and will be much more fun if more people in your friends list play the game.
post #119 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

there has only been 1 awesome snowboarding game released ever.

and it was 1080 on the N64.

Funny, I thought 1080 was horrible, and I love SSX. However, I would never be so egotistical as to say there was only one awesome snowboarding game ever released, as if my opinion was that universally applicable...

Hopefully Nintendo releases a new 1080 for those that liked the game.
post #120 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Funny, I thought 1080 was horrible, and I love SSX. However, I would never be so egotistical as to say there was only one awesome snowboarding game ever released, as if my opinion was that universally applicable...

Hopefully Nintendo releases a new 1080 for those that liked the game.

I just figured he was trying to say he had never played the original SSX
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Next Gen SSX on the way!!!!!!!!!!!