or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Lord Of The Rings Extended
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 172

post #5131 of 5576

Are there different extended versions of Lord of the Rings Trilogy?

I am looking to purchase Lord of the Rings Trilogy extended and want the most recent version with digital copy. As I shop I'm finding very mixed prices and inconsistent descriptions. Even over at Warner Bros. Shop there are two item numbers with very different prices but as far as i can tell the description is the same.

The WB item numbers are 1000150857 and 1000339570 with prices of $55.99 and $94.95. Here are the links

http://www.wbshop.com/product/lord+of+the+rings+trilogy+bd+extended+edition+1000150857.do?ref=CAFRGL&CAWELAID=908427789&gclid=CPrG4KrlzbQCFYp_Qgod0ycArw

http://www.wbshop.com/product/lord+of+the+rings+trilogy+bd+extended+edition+1000339570.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
post #5132 of 5576
My understanding is that several months ago they just brought out a new UPC. I think it's the identical product, just a new run and for whatever reason they assigned it a new UPC. As far as Digital Copy goes, this is a bit embarrassing, but do any versions come with a Digital Copy? I bought my set on day one and I haven't looked at any of the bonus content - I've only watched the main films. I don't even know if I have the bonus discs! LOL
post #5133 of 5576
If I'm remembering correctly, I believe it's the first issue that comes with digital copies, not the more recent issue.
post #5134 of 5576
Looks like they are asking $40 premium for the most recent run. I wonder if they made any color changes to the first movie who some were complaining about a green tint.
post #5135 of 5576
No, the actual film itself is identical across all BD EE releases.
post #5136 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post

I wonder if they made any color changes to the first movie who some were complaining about a green tint.

You wonder in vain.
post #5137 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

My understanding is that several months ago they just brought out a new UPC. I think it's the identical product, just a new run and for whatever reason they assigned it a new UPC.

I wonder why http://www.wbshop.com/ has separate prices for the different runs? I have emailed them but haven't received a response yet.
post #5138 of 5576
The same reason all discontinued items or seasonal items drop in price. Why ask why? Just buy! biggrin.gif
post #5139 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

The same reason all discontinued items or seasonal items drop in price. Why ask why? Just buy! biggrin.gif

Well I just received a reply from WB, Here it is:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting WB Shop. I apologize for the confusion between the two items. The two items are in fact identical, and the lower priced item code, 1000150857, is the valid item. This must have been a glitch with our website, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
post #5140 of 5576
My recently-purchased BD EE set didn't include the photos.
post #5141 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post

Well I just received a reply from WB, Here it is:

I would really like to think that the reason is "a glitch with our website" but I see the two versions are still there and with the conflicting prices.

Al
post #5142 of 5576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

My recently-purchased BD EE set didn't include the photos.

Me neither. I got it during the holidays. Then again it is the Alliance distributed version up here so... And for what it's worth, the box says the digital copies expire in june 2012, but in fact they're valid until 2017, and they are the theatrical cuts...
post #5143 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Proof works both ways, you know. We're still talking about it because no one has proven that it was intentional.

The proof that it was intentional is that it was approved, packaged and shipped that way. Without any official statement to the contrary, the only logical conclusion is that it was intentional. Not that logic has ever stopped people from arguing about petty things though.
post #5144 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

The proof that it was intentional is that it was approved, packaged and shipped that way.
Yeah, proof because Blu-rays never go out with errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr 
Without any official statement to the contrary, the only logical conclusion is that it was intentional. Not that logic has ever stopped people from arguing about petty things though.

Absence of a confirmation (from someone who's usually vocal/involved with his fans) means its confirmed. That's the best logic I've heard all week.

However, my (apparently illogical) view is that no statement from Jackson means it's still unknown. The fact that he usually talks about this stuff but hasn't this time actually pushes my conclusion towards mistake.
post #5145 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

The proof that it was intentional is that it was approved, packaged and shipped that way.

Someone needs to learn the difference between evidence and proof. Remind me not to appear before you in court.
post #5146 of 5576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

The proof that it was intentional is that it was approved, packaged and shipped that way. Without any official statement to the contrary, the only logical conclusion is that it was intentional.

huh.




...Meanwhile I *DID* enjoy FOTR extended on Blu-ray a few days ago. I won't comment on the green because there are 171 pages before this one that deal with it, the only thing I'm going to say is that those who think FOTR EE is "unwatchable" in its current iteration are sorely mistaken. Everything has been said about FOTR circa 2011. See for yourself.
post #5147 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

The proof that it was intentional is that it was approved, packaged and shipped that way. Without any official statement to the contrary, the only logical conclusion is that it was intentional. Not that logic has ever stopped people from arguing about petty things though.

Yeah...............this isn't correct at all.
post #5148 of 5576
I started watching mine a week ago. I immediately noticed the blown out whites and messed up contrast. I shut it off after 10 mins. What a shame.
post #5149 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

I started watching mine a week ago. I immediately noticed the blown out whites and messed up contrast. I shut it off after 10 mins. What a shame.

I've watched my EE three times in the last month or so. It's the best and most entertaining movie I've ever seen and I'd probably watch it even if it was black and white.

Al
post #5150 of 5576
I held off buying the EE because of all the talk of the green tint on Fellowship. But when the price dropped to $40 around Thanksgiving I figured what the heck. So I just finished watching Fellowship. BTW I have an RS20 projector, standard color settings. I will comment on the first and second discs separately. On the first disc...if I had not read about all the green tint issue, I probably would not have even noticed it. I would have assumed the choices made were intentional as it seemed to be scene dependent and Jackson seemed to like to play with overall color settings a lot. Definite green tint in the indoor hobbit house scenes. Some outdoor scenes seemed fine, others may have had a slight green tint. In the Elf land the tint was totally different...so I am assuming these could be director choices. I will admit I did play with color gain settings on my RS20 and with reducing the green gain I thought I made the picture better in some scenes but again not real sure of intent. Disc2 is a completely different matter. IMHO, there is no issue whatsoever on the second half. Colors looked fine to me and IMO should not be an issue at all for any potential buyer still worrying about it. Snow completely white on outdoor scenes. The second half is the best part of the movie and I enjoyed it thoroughly once again. No color issues.

I am assuming from previous posts I am watching the same version that has been talked about since release.
post #5151 of 5576
so cool to finally get this at the discounted price last month. Kind of a funny moment of truth though. After I got Jaws from Best Buy cuz I liked the digibook and had a $5 trade-in, my remaining blu rays for 2012 (LOTR EE, Incredibles, Toy Story 3, Grave of the fireflies) were online. End of an era is coming...

i heard of the green tinit on FOTR but did not pay as close attention because I typically dont see colors the way most people do unless its blatant. The only tint I think saw was during the snowstorm. guess its a head-scratcher but the overall film was just fine and a great experience.

hopefully this time I can have a chance to eventually watch all the extras. 10 years later, and I still have watch only half of the extras from my EE DVDs!! biggrin.gif
post #5152 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

I held off buying the EE because of all the talk of the green tint on Fellowship. But when the price dropped to $40 around Thanksgiving I figured what the heck. So I just finished watching Fellowship. BTW I have an RS20 projector, standard color settings. I will comment on the first and second discs separately. On the first disc...if I had not read about all the green tint issue, I probably would not have even noticed it. I would have assumed the choices made were intentional as it seemed to be scene dependent and Jackson seemed to like to play with overall color settings a lot. Definite green tint in the indoor hobbit house scenes. Some outdoor scenes seemed fine, others may have had a slight green tint. In the Elf land the tint was totally different...so I am assuming these could be director choices. I will admit I did play with color gain settings on my RS20 and with reducing the green gain I thought I made the picture better in some scenes but again not real sure of intent. Disc2 is a completely different matter. IMHO, there is no issue whatsoever on the second half. Colors looked fine to me and IMO should not be an issue at all for any potential buyer still worrying about it. Snow completely white on outdoor scenes. The second half is the best part of the movie and I enjoyed it thoroughly once again. No color issues.

I am assuming from previous posts I am watching the same version that has been talked about since release.


what i noticed the most when watching the movies back-to-back was that TTT and RotK are much brighter because they do not have the teal cast over the entire film
post #5153 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

what i noticed the most when watching the movies back-to-back was that TTT and RotK are much brighter because they do not have the teal cast over the entire film


The "teal cast" isn't over the entire film.I am happy with my purchase which was the original box set.
post #5154 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

The "teal cast" isn't over the entire film.
Well, no one has yet been able to point out a single scene with white that doesn't have a teal/green tint in comparison to all other releases.
post #5155 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Well, no one has yet been able to point out a single scene with white that doesn't have a teal/green tint in comparison to all other releases.

As I stated in my opinion, the snow in the beginning of disc2 looks absolutely white to me. When those notice an entire cast over the movie...do they mean disc1 only or both. Not buying that on disc2 for sure.
post #5156 of 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

As I stated in my opinion, the snow in the beginning of disc2 looks absolutely white to me. When those notice an entire cast over the movie...do they mean disc1 only or both. Not buying that on disc2 for sure.
The teal cast is there, as in, it is present on the disc. Whether your eyes see it is a different question.
post #5157 of 5576
It's irrelevant compared to the inconsistent and incomplete color retiming job Jackson did and the black crush. They should have called it the NTSC (never twice same color) edition.
post #5158 of 5576
...sigh rolleyes.gif
post #5159 of 5576
Peter?
post #5160 of 5576
Clearly not, since I'm not claiming absolute knowledge of how this film's color grading (an artistic consideration, not a technical one) should look, though you apparently have the inside scoop...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Lord Of The Rings Extended