Well, I finally have this screen up on the wall, although it isn't really complete yet. First I will try to post a few photos of construction.
Picture of the frame. I decided to mount the sintra to a frame because because the wall is SO uneven, didn't think I could keep the sintra straight.
Picture of the mirror on sintra.
Mirror on the frame.
Mirror on stand, peeled for painting.
On the wall from from straight ahead.
On the wall from an angle, open window to the right.
As I said, I am not really done yet. I don't think I have enough paint on the mirror yet. The screen looks GREAT in use, but when bright images are up there, a mild hot spot follows me whenever I move side to side, and as you can see from the angled shot, it picks up much more sunlight on the side next to the window. Additionally, it isn't really very good at rejecting ambient light.........yet.
Why is it up on the wall if I don't think it has enough paint applied? Because I don't have anymore to spray right now. How is that you ask? Because I SUCK AT PAINTING and if there was a way to FRACK THIS UP, I FOUND IT!
Twice I had to wet sand (a wet sanding sponge) the screen after screwing up in almost biblical proportion.
As previously discussed with MM, I tried doing vertical spray passes. I was very successful using that method. Unfortunately, I got cute and decided to alternate vertical with horizontal. It might have worked fine, but for the fact that when doing the second horizontal duster (after a vertical) left the spray pattern set to HORIZONTAL!!!!!. AARRRGGHHHHH!!
Heavy horizontal stripes, that I had to remove.
Later, after thinning the paint, I either got to close, went to slow (horizontally), or had the paint to thin, or some combination of all three. After applying a "finish coat", the paint began to run, like on big waterfall. I saw it too late to wipe it off easily. More wet sanding. AARRGGHHHH!!!!! That was the last horizontal pass I attempted.
At the end I diluted what paint I had left and applied multiple VERY LIGHT (vertical) dusters in an attempt to evenly apply what was left as best I could, in a vain hope it would be enough. It worked out very well, I just didn't have enough left.
The surface of the screen is very smooth, with no excess texture.
My plan is to mix up another half batch of the reflective/viscosity base, add the 2 oz of colorant I have left for what would be a half batch of SF 4.0, and apply a series of dusters until it looks like I have enough paint on the screen.
For MM/PB MAXX, I have a small area where some little flying beast (just a guess) lit on top of the screen and apparently defecated (a little amber colored drip) on the screen, after it was surface dry. I know that because I watched until the surface was dry, and the insult had NOT been delivered before I left. After I saw it, I was afraid to leave it, so I tried to wipe it off, and was left with an area that looks like it has a watermark when the image is very bright. I don't think I need to do anything else except apply the aforementioned dusters, but wanted your opinion
I also wanted confirmation that a series of very light dusters (with fairly dilute paint) will not compromise the screens properties. I am frankly afraid to try applying regular coats, because virtually every time I tried it I screwed it up. Whereas I seem to have had excellent results with dusters. Consistent, even, and smooth.
When I say dusters, I was moving three to four feet per second, with VERY dilute paint, and the adjustment dial on the Graco dialed back to something less than half. They dried (in 90F heat) in less than 5 minutes, while appearing to completely cover the screen each time a duster was complete.
Oh, the masking you see is very rough and ready, not the finished product. I just wrapped some black fleece around the borders. I NEEDED to see what it looked like masked off, and actually do some viewing. I had gotten pretty bummed out after all the seemingly terminal screw ups, and seeing the screen in service has helped a lot. I can really SEE the light at the end of the tunnel.
Okay, some screen shots.
Avatar wide shot, in attempt to show the light level in the room. Room is much brighter than this makes it appear.
Well, these look terrible. Will have to work on that.
It really does look terrific. The longer I look at it, the better it looks.