or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help me build my 7.2 please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me build my 7.2 please

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Hello

I am new to the forum and have been enjoying my time here. I have been learning alot about different set up and a lot of the ins and outs of setting up a good sounding system.

After x-mas I had some money sitting in my bank that did not really need to be there. With it I baught a Onkyo TH-NR808 AVR and a Polk Audio CS2 series 2 center speaker. I was running a old sony head unit with some infinity floorstanding speakers. I got the infinitys on a deal but had to replace the tweeters. They sound good but I know there not matched to CS2 center channel. Right now in the 3.0 set up everything sound real good but I konw that if the speakers were matched to eachother my set up would sound better.

What Im looking for is some ideas and links to some polk audio speakers you feel would work good with my set up. I have a budget of about 1000-2000 for the rest of the speakers and a sub or two. This will be bought over the next few months as money comes in.


Anyway, I look forword to reading what you come up with. Thanks
post #2 of 45
Room dimensions? Length x width x ceiling height?

Is you couch against a wall?

Just cause you have 7.2 capability notball rooms benefit.
post #3 of 45
You bought a very good receiver and you have a healthy budget if its in the $2,000 range. Most people will agree that you shouldn't mix and match brands/model for your three front speakers. With that said, if you are going to keep that Polk center, you'll have to finish off with Polk for your left and right. Polk are good entry level speakers and is definately a bang for the buck, especially the prices its being sold on newegg for the past year or so.

In my opinion the biggest impact to having an awsome home theater and one should spend the most money on them: Front three speakers and subwoofer. This is where the majority of where one's money should be. Be prepared to spend atleast $600+ on a subwoofer.

If I was in your shoe, this is what I would do: Take that $2000 and buy 3 fronts and subwoofer and use the current speakers for surrounds. It's less critical for home theater use so not matching the surrounds aren't a big issue. Music on the other hand, it might be an issue. Or you can sell them all and simply start over.

Now, the question is....are you going to build from that Polk center or start all over? What is the size of your room? Is it carpet? hardwood? etc? You might eventially need money for room treatment as well. Last tip, don't spend too much money on speaker wires and HDMI cords when you can get them cheap from such stores as monoprice.com
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Room dimensions? Length x width x ceiling height?

Is you couch against a wall?

Just cause you have 7.2 capability notball rooms benefit.

+1, the room size/sofa placement information is important and 7.2 really doesn't work for every room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post

You bought a very good receiver and you have a healthy budget if its in the $2,000 range. Most people will agree that you shouldn't mix and match brands/model for your three front speakers. With that said, if you are going to keep that Polk center, you'll have to finish off with Polk for your left and right. Polk are good entry level speakers and is definately a bang for the buck, especially the prices its being sold on newegg for the past year or so.

In my opinion the biggest impact to having an awsome home theater and one should spend the most money on them: Front three speakers and subwoofer. This is where the majority of where one's money should be. Be prepared to spend atleast $600+ on a subwoofer.

If I was in your shoe, this is what I would do: Take that $2000 and buy 3 fronts and subwoofer and use the current speakers for surrounds. It's less critical for home theater use so not matching the surrounds aren't a big issue. Music on the other hand, it might be an issue. Or you can sell them all and simply start over.

Now, the question is....are you going to build from that Polk center or start all over? What is the size of your room? Is it carpet? hardwood? etc? You might eventially need money for room treatment as well. Last tip, don't spend too much money on speaker wires and HDMI cords when you can get them cheap from such stores as monoprice.com

+ 1, there is no use in me typing up what would be a repetition of both of these posts.
post #5 of 45
Thread Starter 
thanks for getting back to me so soon.

Building for a my room... that's a little tricky as I will be moving in the next 2 or 3 months. Right now I'm in a smallish bedroom that looks like this. (below) I usually role the computer chair to the end of the bed when I'm not in front of the TV. I'm living at home still so my entertainment is mostly confined to my bedroom. I have carpet. My dads set up in the living room is for entertaining other people. Mine is for just me. (At least for now)

(Height is 8 feet)

After I move I have no idea what my room is going to look like or any details on dimensions but I am looking at 1300-1800 sqft three bedroom houses so I would say the living room will be of an average size. As far as shape or flooring, who knows.

My plan for now:

Selling the Infinitys would not be a problem but they are working fine for now. i know its not good to mix and match but im a college student so i have to buy equipment when money is there. (read not often) I will replace them but not till after I have subs and surrounds first.

I was thinking of a set of these though when I do replace them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290103
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290015

what ever ends up being the better of the two or what ever is the best I can buy for that price range or maybe a little more.

As far as surrounds go I am in the most help. i read that surround speakers arnt the most important to have matched and that they don't have to be huge. As far as music goes i know its a different story because you want them matched to the fronts more. I have no problem buying big surrounds or anything up to an including $200 per speaker. Some advice on this subject would help me out a lot. The headunit puts out 135 wpc so they have to handle at least that much.

Subs:

I was thinking of two of these along the side walls once I move out. I live in an apartment now so buying 2 12'' subs would not be the smart thing to do right now. Once I am in a house though.... They will be the first thing i buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290130

I don't know if this is the right idea for a sub or a set of subs but for the price there looking like the best bang/$ right now.

Monoprice is my friend. I <3 them and there cheep everything.


I got to go but this should give you guys some more info. if you need any more just ask. I will be back on in a few hours.
post #6 of 45
Thread Starter 
bump for more info
post #7 of 45
Maybe get a Bic f12 subwoofer better specs than the polk


So if you want monitor 70's look at these they are the same speaker different faceplate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290208
post #8 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Maybe get a Bic f12 subwoofer better specs than the polk


So if you want monitor 70's look at these they are the same speaker different faceplate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290208


How does the Bic have better specs to the Polk?

(bic) 150rms vs 300rms (Polk)
25hz-200khz vs 23hz-160khz


As far as the Monitor 70's and the link you provided. Thanks I will be buying these as soon as I get paid.
post #9 of 45
Thread Starter 
Here is what Im thinking of doing. If the surround speakers are overkill let me know. I want the bigger ones because I will be using the system for 50% movies, 10% gaming and 40% music.

Fronts x2 at 183 shipped each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290208

Subs x2 at $200 shipped each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290130

Surrounds x2 sets at $300 shipped each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290097

Shipped thats $1366. With the center channel I allready bought for $100 I will have spent $1466 on speakers. Add to that the $700 on the Onkyo 808 and another $50 for speaker wire, new hdmi, and clips and im at $2216 invested. Thats a little over my price range of 2K but lets look at what the system would have cost if I paid the full price.

The fronts are $800 for the set
The center was $300
The subs are $800 for the set
The Surrounds cost $600 for all 4
The head unit from onkyo at full price was $1099

So $3599 If I payed full price for everything. So a savings of $1383 I love newegg!!!!
post #10 of 45
I would go 5.1 for now if I was in your situation. I don't think you have a setup that will really benefit from rear channels. The money would be better appropriated towards better subwoofer. The entry level Polk subs I have heard were not good and I feel you could do better. I would get one good sub now that has more output and better sound quality, and if it is not enough when you move get another. If you get one set of surrounds you now have $700 to get a nice sub that would have more output and better sound quality than 2 co-located Polks subs you are looking at. I recommend getting best 5.1 you can get now, and add to 7.2 later when needed. You will have better quality now and later.
post #11 of 45
Get these for surrounds and put the money to better subwoofer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290202


The Polk cs2 is the center you want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290212
post #12 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Get these for surrounds and put the money to better subwoofer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290202


The Polk cs2 is the center you want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290212

I all ready have the CS2. Got it when it had the $30 off too. Only payed $100.

What sub would you guys suggest then.


Those surrounds are only rated to 125wrms. My headunit puts out 135 per channel. Is that 10 extra wrms going to kill these surrounds? I was looking at these but decided I would pay the extra money for the other surrounds because they were rated to 150 wpc rms. I would rather have over kill then blown speakers.
post #13 of 45
I'd forget the Polk subs and buy a single Hsu VTF2. That's plenty of sub for that space and a really good sub.

For surrounds for that system I'd go with these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-201-_-Product
post #14 of 45
Thread Starter 
how about this for a sub? sounds like it would give me plenty of base in any room I put it in. Its about 20 miles south of my location so I don't have to pay to ship a very heavy sub like would the Hsu VTF2.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/2162421241.html
post #15 of 45
The more that I look at the drawing the more that I think that the best budget speak choice is 5-7 Behringer B2030P studio monitors. They ain't pretty but up close like in that chair they sound much better than most bookshelves and will still do fine as HT speakers in a small room. The reason that I suggest them is that must speakers, even good speakers get fatiguing really fast up close but the B2030P was designed for up close.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...-shootout-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post
how about this for a sub? sounds like it would give me plenty of base in any room I put it in. Its about 20 miles south of my location so I don't have to pay to ship a very heavy sub like would the Hsu VTF2.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/2162421241.html
That's a pretty good sub and a good price if it's in decent working condition.
post #16 of 45
Thread Starter 
talked to that guy about the sub. He says he will sell it for $275. I live in an apartment. This might be a bad idea but im going to go pick it up.
post #17 of 45
If that subwoofer is in working order its a great find!!! 16 Hz - 100Hz -3db is some amazing specs

Your neighbors are not going to like you but you will always be able to turn the bass down if hey complain
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post

talked to that guy about the sub. He says he will sell it for $275. I live in an apartment. This might be a bad idea but im going to go pick it up.

Put it on a SubDude and you'll have a bit fewer neighbor issues..
post #19 of 45
Thread Starter 
i got the sub home and hooked up. I must have hooked it up wrong or something. Its almost maxed out and it sounds nothing like when it was hooked up to the guys head unit. I have it powered on and hooked up to my subout on the back of the onkyo and into the input right on the amp. Am I doing it wrong?

Its sounds good but not nearly as loud as when It was hooked up at his place.

I will be playing with settings on the onkyo till you guys get back to me.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post

i got the sub home and hooked up. I must have hooked it up wrong or something. Its almost maxed out and it sounds nothing like when it was hooked up to the guys head unit. I have it powered on and hooked up to my subout on the back of the onkyo and into the input right on the amp. Am I doing it wrong?

Its sounds good but not nearly as loud as when It was hooked up at his place.

I will be playing with settings on the onkyo till you guys get back to me.

Have you run the Auto set-up (Audyssey) in your onkyo?

I would make sure the subwoofer gain on the sub's amp is only at 50% max to start with. I can't tell you how many idiots blow their woofers in the first month by having the sub gain at 100%

If you have a single subwoofer cable you might want to get a 1 female rca to 2 male rca splitter
post #21 of 45
Thread Starter 
Audyssey check

only running a single cable but that's how the other guy had it and everything worked fine. I will see if i have a splitter in my box-o-cables.

I don't have it in the corner of my room though. its behind my right speaker next to my tv.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post

Audyssey check

only running a single cable but that's how the other guy had it and everything worked fine. I will see if i have a splitter in my box-o-cables.

I don't have it in the corner of my room though. its behind my right speaker next to my tv.

You won't need splitter with an SVS.
  1. Turn off the sub.
  2. Make sure that it is connected to the correct output on your receiver (probably purple) and fully plugged into the sub.
  3. Turn the subwoofer volume to the middle.
  4. Turn the subwoofer to on (not auto)
  5. Run the receiver's auto setup.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post

Audyssey check

only running a single cable but that's how the other guy had it and everything worked fine. I will see if i have a splitter in my box-o-cables.

I don't have it in the corner of my room though. its behind my right speaker next to my tv.

What are the receivers new settings? Is the sub only sent the LFE signal or LFE and the lower end from the other speakers?
post #24 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

What are the receivers new settings? Is the sub only sent the LFE signal or LFE and the lower end from the other speakers?



How would i check that?

I ran Audyssey but other then that haven't messed with the settings.
post #25 of 45
Thread Starter 
bump for more info
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post

bump for more info

You should be able to access that in your on screen menu. As you scroll through the speakers levels, the crossovers and such. Just scroll through and let us know what it was set at

What have you set the things on the subwoofer amp to?
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post

How would i check that?

I ran Audyssey but other then that haven't messed with the settings.

You need to go into setup, speaker setup, speaker config and make sure that 'subwoofer = yes' and 'front = 80hz'.

Now go into speaker setup and level calibration and listen to each channel and see if you hear the sub.
post #28 of 45
Thread Starter 


Here is after a fresh Audyssey run I did just for you guys.

On the sub. The volume is set at 60%. The subs crossover is disabled and im running the sub in auto on/off mode. The Sub cable is run to the input right input. Its a monster cable sub cable so its at least a decent cable. (last owner gave it to me. I would never spend the money on monster cables myself)

Here is my sub placement. It would suck but I could put it in the corner. I have all my computer wires back there now. Not something i want to move all that much.


Thank you for helping me set this up. Before this set up I only ever had HTIB that for the most part was plug and play. This is a lot more complex.
post #29 of 45
Well for best subwoofer placement I recommend you do a "subwoofer crawl" that will help you find the best position for your subwoofer for the most bass

Secondly I need you to go through the Receiver menu and make sure the LPF is set to 120hz. The LPF is a cut off for bass frequencies going to the subwoofer. This process is explained on page 46 of your manual.

The Polk CS2 is dead below 60hz so you might want to at least change that cross-over to 60hz, 80hz might be better

Page 47 of your manual goes into level calibration. We need to know what the level calibration of the subwoofer got set to.

Take the time to read the 100 page manual cover to cover of your receiver and it will really help you understand your system a little better. I don't read the manual for most electronics stuff but i sure as hell read the one to me receiver
------------------------------
How much less bass is there with your current setup compared to the bass you heard at the sellers?
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Well for best subwoofer placement I recommend you do a "subwoofer crawl" that will help you find the best position for your subwoofer for the most bass

Secondly I need you to go through the Receiver menu and make sure the LPF is set to 120hz. The LPF is a cut off for bass frequencies going to the subwoofer. This process is explained on page 46 of your manual.

The Polk CS2 is dead below 60hz so you might want to at least change that cross-over to 60hz, 80hz might be better

Page 47 of your manual goes into level calibration. We need to know what the level calibration of the subwoofer got set to.

Take the time to read the 100 page manual cover to cover of your receiver and it will really help you understand your system a little better. I don't read the manual for most electronics stuff but i sure as hell read the one to me receiver
------------------------------
How much less bass is there with your current setup compared to the bass you heard at the sellers?

+1 on the advice. How's it sound? Subs are very sensitive to placement so do the sub crawl.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help me build my 7.2 please