or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD - Page 5

post #121 of 1562
I've seen stages with both situations, where they have have same number of items as teams and where they have more items than teams. I wasn't able to tell which situation the frog task fell under.

That being said, I got the impression that most teams chose the frog task because it didn't require any traveling and the purifying task did. And since traveling always includes the risk of getting lost or stuck in traffic, it's usually a good idea to at least attempt the non-travel task. But when it proves to be too risky (like the frog task) you need to not get locked in and be willing to switch tasks.
post #122 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I've seen stages with both situations, where they have have same number of items as teams and where they have more items than teams. I wasn't able to tell which situation the frog task fell under.

That being said, I got the impression that most teams chose the frog task because it didn't require any traveling and the purifying task did. And since traveling always includes the risk of getting lost or stuck in traffic, it's usually a good idea to at least attempt the non-travel task. But when it proves to be too risky (like the frog task) you need to not get locked in and be willing to switch tasks.

The frog task required traveling, but you maybe right that the frog task was closer.
post #123 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

The actor son gave up and convinced his father to do the same. Mel was still going. If Mike was that concerned about Mel's health, he would have told Mel to get out of the cold and get warm while he continued to look. But Mike got out first. He was physically and mentally defeated. Don't blame it on Dad.

That was what I was thinking too. Didn't the son basically do the same thing in the earlier episode as well?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I would like to know how much detail the instructions give the contestants before they make the choice of which to do. If they were told that Lucky Frog was finding a frog in the mud, some of the teams may have elected to get purified. Plus, if you are one of the last teams in a challenge like that, you should always take the other, since most of the frogs would have been found already.

I've wondered about that a little myself. But I always just figured that the teams only get the bare bones info they read aloud off the clues, to add a bigger element of uncertainty to their decision.


ron
post #124 of 1562
I think they simply pick the one task that they think is the easiest or sounds like it would be faster ..
post #125 of 1562
For anyone not aware of who the "actor", Mike White, is, here's his IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0925234/

I think he's actually more of a writer than actor. He wrote "The School of Rock", which is a very good movie.

More recently, he wrote Nacho Libre.
post #126 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

For anyone not aware of who the "actor", Mike White, is, here's his IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0925234/

I think he's actually more of a writer than actor. He wrote "The School of Rock", which is a very good movie.

More recently, he wrote Nacho Libre.

You must not have been reading this thread. I put a screen shot of him in School of Rock in this thread.

As to those saying his dad kept going and Mike quit, I imagine Mike saying to himself: "I'm a semi-celebrity, GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Funny everyone focuses on my trotters and Miss January comments, but not Mike White. Remember him in School of Rock? I do.

post #127 of 1562
One things for sure, he does not need the money ..
post #128 of 1562
A series of travel nightmares in this one. Don't ever take off a fanny pack/butt bag. Ever. Shower with it. Go to bed with it.
post #129 of 1562
Chinese Dad is just way off his rocker between the Blow Up at the Bus and the Food Obsession!!! And Vixxen (sp?) must have had the same breakfast as him. Meltdown City! I wanted Kent (sp?) to just yell out "Snap Out of It" ala Cher in Moonstruck.
post #130 of 1562
He looks a little like Cher.
post #131 of 1562
I'm not liking that we've already two episodes where a team wasn't eliminated and we got a "to be continued."

Until this season, most eps usually end with someone going home or a non-elimination leg. We've certainly seen the "Still racing" pit stops, but it's very odd that we've had what, 3 or 4 eps total so far, and 2 of them were "still racing" with the "to be continued" on it.
post #132 of 1562
I get the impression that they didn't plan this one.

I think they felt they needed to add some drama to what seems to be certain elimination for Kent and Vixen.

What surprised me most was they had all those out of shape old people running around at over 14,000 feet. I'm amazed they didn't kill someone in this episode.
post #133 of 1562
Maybe just trying to lengthen the season somewhat ..

I think Kent and Vixen are doing pretty good considering .. what I'm worried about is even if they don't come in last, they will incur a penalty for not catching the right plane in Japan ..
post #134 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

I'm not liking that we've already two episodes where a team wasn't eliminated and we got a "to be continued."

Until this season, most eps usually end with someone going home or a non-elimination leg. We've certainly seen the "Still racing" pit stops, but it's very odd that we've had what, 3 or 4 eps total so far, and 2 of them were "still racing" with the "to be continued" on it.

I dunno, pappy, I'm kinda liking it. After all, they're all 'veteran' racers so they should be getting some curves thrown at them. Seems like they've stepped up most of the challenges too, which is a good thing. If they keep this pace up the 'killer-fatigue' which usually kicks in toward the end of the race, and is great fun to watch the effects of, should be showing up soon.

(I kind of wonder if that might have been part of Vyxsin's problems)
post #135 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Maybe just trying to lengthen the season somewhat ..

I think Kent and Vixen are doing pretty good considering .. what I'm worried about is even if they don't come in last, they will incur a penalty for not catching the right plane in Japan ..

I'm not sure they will get an additional penalty by missing that flight. They didn't gain an advantage. Ron / Christina on the other hand might be in trouble.
post #136 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

I'm not sure they will get an additional penalty by missing that flight. They didn't gain an advantage. Ron / Christina on the other hand might be in trouble.

If I recall correctly, there was a sign that said "required flight" ..
post #137 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

If I recall correctly, there was a sign that said "required flight" ..

Yeah, that seems like it should be pretty cut and dried that they should incur a penalty. Is it only 30 minutes though?


ron
post #138 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

If I recall correctly, there was a sign that said "required flight" ..

I think that the flight was "required" because as Phil said in the voiceover, flights to Kumming were limited, i.e. probably that was the ONLY flight, so the producers just booked the flight for all the teams so no one would be left out. Kent and Vyxsin just took the same flight, just a whole lot later than everyone else did; no one thought that they would get themselves so lost on the way to Narita that they would miss the guaranteed flight.

If the TBC's ("To Be Continued") are replacing the non-elimination legs, that's all for the better. And yes, for the second go-round in the race, it should be harder than the first time.
post #139 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAgeTom View Post

I think that the flight was "required" because as Phil said in the voiceover, flights to Kumming were limited, i.e. probably that was the ONLY flight, so the producers just booked the flight for all the teams so no one would be left out. Kent and Vyxsin just took the same flight, just a whole lot later than everyone else did; no one thought that they would get themselves so lost on the way to Narita that they would miss the guaranteed flight.

I've never seen the show so it is likely they're toast? Do miracles really happen on this show like Kent said? It seems like they're screwed in every possible way.

It was kind of fun to watch the Chinese people react to a woman with long pink hair running around and sobbing. I bet they don't see that every day.
post #140 of 1562
If Kent and Vyxsin are given a penalty because of this flight, that is just wrong IMO. Like henry296 said, they didn't gain any advantage. Hell, it hurt them a lot.
post #141 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I've never seen the show so it is likely they're toast? Do miracles really happen on this show like Kent said? It seems like they're screwed in every possible way.

Things can change in a hurry. If the racers run into a stop where there's 'bunching' (like set hours of operation, etc.), if a team ends up in some rouge taxi or if another team just melts down, it's still anyone's race.
post #142 of 1562
I've never known a Goth, but I wonder if they have an upper limit on IQ to join. Like about 90.
post #143 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

If Kent and Vyxsin are given a penalty because of this flight, that is just wrong IMO. Like henry296 said, they didn't gain any advantage. Hell, it hurt them a lot.

I hope they don't incur a penalty .. however, when the camera shows a sign the says "required flight" .. you never know ..
post #144 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post


Things can change in a hurry. If the racers run into a stop where there's 'bunching' (like set hours of operation, etc.), if a team ends up in some rouge taxi or if another team just melts down, it's still anyone's race.

Rouge taxi? Is that some makeover edition of Cash Cab?
post #145 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I've never known a Goth, but I wonder if they have an upper limit on IQ to join. Like about 90.

Kent knows the Periodic Table, he immediately got Mercury and Bismuth in that challenge when no one else did. I think Vyxsin also described herself as "dorky" on at least one occasion, so I think the two of them are more intelligent than they appear. The cowboys on the other hand are probably no smarter than the cattle they've been around.

Oh, that Chinese mountain town was gorgeous in HD!
post #146 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAgeTom View Post

Kent knows the Periodic Table, he immediately got Mercury and Bismuth in that challenge when no one else did. I think Vyxsin also described herself as "dorky" on at least one occasion, so I think the two of them are more intelligent than they appear. The cowboys on the other hand are probably no smarter than the cattle they've been around.

Oh, that Chinese mountain town was gorgeous in HD!

Exactly .. Kent also keeps his wits about him in a crunch .. don't let the "look" fool you ..

And yes, HD is glorious, until my CAVT providers feed pixilates .. .. wish they had gone HD a long time ago ..
post #147 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I've never known a Goth, but I wonder if they have an upper limit on IQ to join. Like about 90.

sleep deprivation, exhaustion + onset of altitude sickness takes it's toll.
post #148 of 1562
I found it ironic that the Chinese dad and daughter team are the only ones able to speak Chinese and yet they wound up on the wrong bus. They were fortunate that the Globetrotters helped them but they wouldn't help anyone when it came to deciding whether to go by train or plane. They had already decided to go by train yet told someone they were still deciding. I wish the Globetrotters hadn't noticed them. They are rubbing me the wrong way.
post #149 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I hope they don't incur a penalty .. however, when the camera shows a sign the says "required flight" .. you never know ..

That's the thing. They have always seemed to be pretty strict regarding following the specific instructions on the clues. And designating a flight as "required" is about as specific as you can get . If it was set up to be mandatory, I'd imagine it's unlikely they did it in order to keep teams from taking later flights, but then a rule is a rule and that just becomes a tough break. And it did look like they planned in a lot of time for the contestants make the flight...


Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

sleep deprivation, exhaustion + onset of altitude sickness takes it's toll.

Combine all those with the regular stress of having to perform under the time pressure of the race itself and it's not surprising to see contestants crack sometimes. You have to think a lot of the bad behavior some of them display is not their usual manner either (Asian Ron possibly excepted ).


ron
post #150 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

And it did look like they planned in a lot of time for the contestants make the flight...

That's what I was thinking ..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD