or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD - Page 9

post #241 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
BTW, did anyone else notice that either it wasn't Phil or it was Phil with a very different voice (cold?) doing the voice-over at the end of the credits? I'm so used to hearing his voice during these previews that this different-sounding voice stood out so clearly. Anyone else?
I noticed that too, I assumed that for the first time ever, it was not Phil. Don't think it has much, if any, significance but who knows.
post #242 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

. . . . . Did anyone eat all of it?

It appeared that Mallory's father did. But he couldn't eat "half of her's" as he had suggested he would (before they saw the huge servings).
post #243 of 1562
Too bad no one is a competitive eater .. those guys could tear thru that schnitzel in minutes I'm sure .. as a guy whos roots are German, I can tell you, there is schnitzel and then there is schnitzel

Food tends to be pretty heavy in this part of the World ..
post #244 of 1562
PQ has been good but probably not the best.

Vienna would be beautiful place to film but a cavernous interior like that library probably wasn't captured under optimal lighting.
post #245 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

PQ has been good but probably not the best.

Vienna would be beautiful place to film but a cavernous interior like that library probably wasn't captured under optimal lighting.

And the generally overcast out doors did not help things .. that castle looked like a set from an old Dracula movie ..
post #246 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Vienna would be beautiful place to film but a cavernous interior like that library probably wasn't captured under optimal lighting.

Locations and scenery aren't very important to this show with its "blink, you miss it" editing.
post #247 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Locations and scenery aren't very important to this show with its "blink, you miss it" editing.

Many of us do enjoy the scenery and locations ..
post #248 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Many of us do enjoy the scenery and locations ..

I do too. I wish I could see them in the show for more than two seconds.
post #249 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It appeared that Mallory's father did. But he couldn't eat "half of her's" as he had suggested he would (before they saw the huge servings).

Yeah, it looked like Gary finished his but wasn't able to help with Mallory's at all.

My understanding is that these shows (AR, Survivor, etc, etc) always have crew that test the challenges to make certain at least someone can do it. So it should have been possible.

There's a bar near where I live that serves "all you can eat" fried pork chops, which is at least as heavy and is probably a lot more heavy than that schnitzel, so the size of the schnitzel didn't worry me. But that 12 minute time limit was an issue, if for no other reason than all the wasted time having to cut it all up into chewable pieces. I doubt you could just bite off chunks of that stuff since it's usually pretty tough.
post #250 of 1562
I couldn't fathom why many were using their knives and forks. I would have run a hand to mouth conveyor belt. No guarantee I would have finished, but not due to technique.
post #251 of 1562
Zev with the inappropriate joke in front of the female chimney sweeper. I love it!
post #252 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I couldn't fathom why many were using their knives and forks. I would have run a hand to mouth conveyor belt. No guarantee I would have finished, but not due to technique.

Agreed, shovel it in, a couple chews, swallow. Definitely could get it done in time.
post #253 of 1562
I hope the Heimlich doctors were standing by.
post #254 of 1562
schnitzel can be a tough meat to chew fast and get down your throut .. 12 minutes with the portions they had would have been difficult ..
post #255 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Agreed, shovel it in, a couple chews, swallow. Definitely could get it done in time.

I can't believe the Globetrotters didn't try it.

I'd kill for a place in Charlotte that could make a half decent wienerschnitzel - just watching that episode made my mouth water. German restaurants around here just give you a standard breaded cutlet, and some are idiotic enough to put gravy on it.
post #256 of 1562
That sounds ghastly.

When I go to Germany or Switzerland, I seek out Italian food.
post #257 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I German restaurants around here just give you a standard breaded cutlet, and some are idiotic enough to put gravy on it.

We call that Chicken Fried Pork where I come from ..
post #258 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

That sounds ghastly.

When I go to Germany or Switzerland, I seek out Italian food.

Why does every country have better Italian food than Italy?
post #259 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

schnitzel can be a tough meat to chew fast and get down your throut .. 12 minutes with the portions they had would have been difficult ..

The pork version, yes, but the veal version not so much. I couldn't tell - what was the side dish?
post #260 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

The pork version, yes, but the veal version not so much. I couldn't tell - what was the side dish?

The pork version is schweineschnitzel - if someone swaps out the veal for pork and still calls it a weinerschnitzel, it's like ordering a reuben and finding turkey instead of corned beef.

... and you're right, if it is a decent weinerschnitzel, it should be super tender and the only thing needed is a little squeeze of lemon. They should cook it in lard, not vegetable oil, and they should flour it before dipping in egg so the breading can "bubble" and stay loose.

Man, I'm getting hungry again.
post #261 of 1562
I didn't see any sides at all just that huge piece of schnitzel and an enormous slice of chocolate cake. But I'm guessing that schnitzel stands in amusement parks don't serve quality veal cuts. So my money would be on it being a cheap piece of pork.

CPanther95:

The globetrotters said they didn't want to be running around after eating a bunch of food, so at least they had a rational reason. And heck, if they hadn't managed to get lost on the short drive across the river to the pit stop, they would have come in first. So it's not like they made a bad choice.
post #262 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

So my money would be on it being a cheap piece of pork.

You'd never see an Austrian or German restaurant serve a Wiener Schnitzel made from pork. It might not even be legal.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

CPanther95:

The globetrotters said they didn't want to be running around after eating a bunch of food, so at least they had a rational reason. And heck, if they hadn't managed to get lost on the short drive across the river to the pit stop, they would have come in first. So it's not like they made a bad choice.

Turned out to be a decent decision, but I'd think they'd have to assume that the eating challenge would be geared to being possible for all teams to complete so for them it should have been relatively easy. (assuming they normally have very healthy appetites).
post #263 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The pork version is schweineschnitzel - if someone swaps out the veal for pork and still calls it a weinerschnitzel, it's like ordering a reuben and finding turkey instead of corned beef.

... and you're right, if it is a decent weinerschnitzel, it should be super tender and the only thing needed is a little squeeze of lemon. They should cook it in lard, not vegetable oil, and they should flour it before dipping in egg so the breading can "bubble" and stay loose.

Oops, you snuck in and posted before me.

Anyway, I don't recall them ever calling it "weinerschnitzel" in the program. I think they just used the generic term "schnitzel" throughout. And I'm going with my first impression that you have to go to a real restaurant to get true "weinerschnitzel" made with veal. Food stands in amusement parks are probably going to use cheap cuts of meat like pork.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Man, I'm getting hungry again.

There used to be a really good German restaurant in uptown Phoenix, but it closed several years ago. This discussion is really making me miss it. I had an amazing soup there once which consisted of a large ball of liverwurst (real liverwurst not that crap you find in US grocery stores) in the middle of a bowl of broth. Not exactly aesthetically pleasing but it sure tasted fantastic.
post #264 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Oops, you snuck in and posted before me.

Anyway, I don't recall them ever calling it "weinerschnitzel" in the program. I think they just used the generic term "schnitzel" throughout. And I'm going with my first impression that you have to go to a real restaurant to get true "weinerschnitzel" made with veal. Food stands in amusement parks are probably going to use cheap cuts of meat like pork.

I may have filled in the blanks mentally. If they just called it schnitzel, then anything is fair game.

But the rest isn't the case - even at an amusement park - it wouldn't be done. Plus, veal is much more prevalent and widely used in Germany (and Austria). There isn't nearly the gap between pork and veal as there is here in the States.
post #265 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I may have filled in the blanks mentally. If they just called it schnitzel, then anything is fair game.

I think you picked it up from someone else's comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

But the rest isn't the case - even at an amusement park - it wouldn't be done. Plus, veal is much more prevalent and widely used in Germany (and Austria). There isn't nearly the gap between pork and veal as there is here in the States.

Yeah, American norms are probably steering me wrong on that one.
post #266 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Why does every country have better Italian food than Italy?

It's weird. In M√ľnich back in the 80's we ate at two of the best Italian restaurants I've ever found in Europe. After that all the traditional German food tasted like breaded rocks. I think they have to have outstanding food to stay in business outside of Italy.
post #267 of 1562
Munich was where I lived in the mid to late 70's. Best pizza we had while in Europe was at a place there called Louisa's. Only had pizza once in Italy, and it was hardly recognizable as pizza.

I loved the German food though - been on a 30 year quest to find a satisfactory substitute here.
post #268 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I may have filled in the blanks mentally. If they just called it schnitzel, then anything is fair game.

But the rest isn't the case - even at an amusement park - it wouldn't be done. Plus, veal is much more prevalent and widely used in Germany (and Austria). There isn't nearly the gap between pork and veal as there is here in the States.

On a 110" screen in HD, the meat looked like pork to me .. just sayin'
post #269 of 1562
I'm guessing that Zev and Justin would not have been allowed to eat the schnitzel if it were pork. And that the producers would take that into account.

On the other hand, my friend Paul always performs a mysterious ceremony that makes deli ham kosher when he wants to make a giant hoagie to eat while we watch football, so I guess anything can happen.
post #270 of 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post

I'm guessing that Zev and Justin would not have been allowed to eat the schnitzel if it were pork. And that the producers would take that into account.

For the record, just being Jewish does not necessarily mean you also follow Kosher dietary rules which would prevent you from eating pork.

In fact, I would conjecture that in America (and specifically in NYC) that the majority of Jews are NOT Kosher... hence the extreme popularity (almost to a stereotype, in fact) of non-Kosher Chinese food within this particular ethnic group.

I, myself, am NOT Kosher, and have no problem eating pork (and shellfish... which I also love). But I certainly prefer veal schnitzel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD