or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD - Page 28

post #811 of 1546
I do not think I have seen this much co-operation this late in the race by so many teams. There are five teams left and all five teams have helped each other at some point late in the race. I wonder if the producers will add more incentives to discourage this type of behavior.
post #812 of 1546
I can sort of understand the cooperation since a couple of teams were so far behind that the front runners wren't feeling any pressure. So Lexi and James working together on the time zone test didn't surprise me too much. Plus, Moscow is a really creepy and sometimes a very scary place to be alone and unable to speak the language. But it was still a little surprising to see so much cooperation among the back markersthat were risking elimination.

Anyway, based on the teaser, it looks like the cooperation might end at the U-Turn mat this week.
post #813 of 1546
Yeah, the cooperation love fest may come to a close this Sunday .. it's getting down to the final legs ..

Myself, I've kinda liked the fact that some help is going on .. I'd be fine with any of the teams left winning .. I think all of them have run a good race ..
post #814 of 1546
If the thieves win, I'll never watch this show again.
post #815 of 1546
Karma will take care of the twins in the end. But if anything, the rockers should have learned from losing their money to keep a closer eye on their stuff. I wasn't sorry to see them go.
post #816 of 1546
I forgot to mention one thing about this episode.

Did you guys notice that poor Russian girl that was standing at the mat with Phil? By the end of the day, she was so sunburned on her chest that you knew that was gonna hurt like hell. They must have been out there for hours for her to have turned that red. Either that or she is so fair skinned that she burns easily. Either way, I felt for her knowing how much pain she was gonna be in the next day.
post #817 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

If the thieves win, I'll never watch this show again.

I did not like it at the time either .. then, in retrospect, I realized it's no different than any other reality show where lying, cheating and stealing goes on ..
post #818 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I forgot to mention one thing about this episode.
Did you guys notice that poor Russian girl that was standing at the mat with Phil? By the end of the day, she was so sunburned on her chest that you knew that was gonna hurt like hell. They must have been out there for hours for her to have turned that red. Either that or she is so fair skinned that she burns easily. Either way, I felt for her knowing how much pain she was gonna be in the next day.

I always figured Phil had "scouts" to let him know when smeone was approaching.. and then he would go out and stand at the mat acting like he'd been waiting all day . . . biggrin.gif
post #819 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I always figured Phil had "scouts" to let him know when smeone was approaching.. and then he would go out and stand at the mat acting like he'd been waiting all day . . . biggrin.gif

I'd find it pretty hard to believe he and any country representative actually stand on the mat constantly, especially if it's a particularly long stretch .. I'm sure chairs are available .. if nothing else, they could sit on the mat ..
post #820 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

If the thieves win, I'll never watch this show again.
Guess you haven't watched Survivor either since Rupert stole the shoes? rolleyes.gif
post #821 of 1546
I don't see why they are thieves. It's more like lost and found. They did not take it from backpack or known location. They took it from a lost location. I don't consider this much different than most of the other shenanigans we have seen in the past like U-turns or lying about flights or lying about anything.
post #822 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

I don't see why they are thieves. It's more like lost and found. They did not take it from backpack or known location. They took it from a lost location. I don't consider this much different than most of the other shenanigans we have seen in the past like U-turns or lying about flights or lying about anything.

I think someone made that same point earlier in the thread .. I have to agree .. they picked some money up they found .. it was not in the Rockers backpacks or pockets .. now, should they have tried to find the owner .. ?? Probably .. but if I recall, they did say something like "Who's money is this .. ??" and the Rockers were right there ..

I liked the Rockers and rooted for them .. however, their own disorganization and forgetfulness is what got them eliminated .. it had nothing to do with the money ..
post #823 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I always figured Phil had "scouts" to let him know when smeone was approaching.. and then he would go out and stand at the mat acting like he'd been waiting all day . . . biggrin.gif

These days, I assume that all the cameramen are carrying smartphones with GPS tracking turned on so that Phil can sit in front of a computer and monitor the location of all the teams in near-real time.

In the early seasons, it was sometimes obvious that the producers were able to contact with the crews and get updates on their situations. I assume they just had dumb feature phones back then.
post #824 of 1546
Lost and found??? All 4 of them willingly took cash that they knew belonged to someone else, whom they were competing with. That is not game play, that is theft. Not only is it theft, as game play it is cheating.

As for the Rupert thing, well that was theft, too. But, he didn't win.
post #825 of 1546
yeah they're in constant communication, especially at the detours and roadblocks. Otherwise, how does Phil know when a team took a taxi to the roadblock instead of walking (season 4 iirc)?

As for double-non-eliminations, at least one season has done that. Trying to remember which specific one, maybe season 6 or 7...
post #826 of 1546
I knew the Twins would power thru that food challenge, but at least is was not an ice cream cone .. biggrin.gif .. since Abbie and Ryan were my least favorite team, I was not dissapointed to see them go .. I thought it was appropriate when Phill told The Fabulous Beekman Boys "Would you rather I checked them in before you" or some such .. I could not understand why they were agonizing over Abbie and Ryan .. one team has to come in last ..
post #827 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I knew the Twins would power thru that food challenge, but at least is was not an ice cream cone .. biggrin.gif .. since Abbie and Ryan were my least favorite team, I was not dissapointed to see them go .. I thought it was appropriate when Phill told The Fabulous Beekman Boys "Would you rather I checked them in before you" or some such .. I could not understand why they were agonizing over Abbie and Ryan .. one team has to come in last ..
Wasn't the fish they were eating "herring?" I remember back in the day going to a restaurant that had a huge salad bar with about anything you could imagine and having creamed herring and pickled herring. I thought it was pretty good, but haven't had any since. I wonder what the stuff was that the twins' fish was in/flavored with.
post #828 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Wasn't the fish they were eating "herring?" I remember back in the day going to a restaurant that had a huge salad bar with about anything you could imagine and having creamed herring and pickled herring. I thought it was pretty good, but haven't had any since. I wonder what the stuff was that the twins' fish was in/flavored with.

I think it was herring, with raw onion bits .. imagine the breath after that one .. I've never had it in any form, but it looked unappealing to me, anyway .. and I don't like onions .. eek.gif
post #829 of 1546
Yes, it was herring and it was RAW. Maybe people who eat sushi could handle that, but I'd never have made it past the first bite of that one! eek.gif
post #830 of 1546
Now there's a good example of why you form alliances on this show and stick with them up to the finals. Conspiring together on the double u-turn ensured that the alliance made it through unscathed and that the biggest threat (at least in their eyes) was eliminated. Of course, it might not have worked if Abi & Ryan didn't have more airplane problems. But wither way, I still think it's worth the attempt.

Abi & Ryan sure had horrible luck with airplanes. I can't recall a season where airplanes have played such a big role in the eliminations. Yeah it's not unusual to see a team get screwed by a missed connection, but never this many in one season. There luck was so bad, it was like watching myself travel since that's the type of luck I usually have with airplanes.
post #831 of 1546
Yep, bad luck seems to be especially prevalent this season .. take the Rockers for example ..
post #832 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

... I can't recall a season where airplanes have played such a big role in the eliminations...

The closest may have been the season with Boston Rob. Rob and Amber got on the plane, the plane was about to leave, Joyce and Chenna were stopped by airline personnel and told they wouldn't be allowed to board because it was too late, the show goes to a commercial break, when the show returns the producers had obviously convinced the airline people to have a change of heart . . . rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_7
Edited by WS65711 - 11/26/12 at 1:15pm
post #833 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Yes, it was herring and it was RAW. Maybe people who eat sushi could handle that, but I'd never have made it past the first bite of that one! eek.gif
UGH! Me either. Thanks to you and mgkdragn both.
post #834 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

The closest may have been the season with Boston Rob. Rob and Amber got on the plane, the plane was about to leave, Joyce and Chenna were stopped by airline personnel and told they wouldn't be allowed to board because it was too late, the show goes to a commercial break, when the show returns the producers had obviously convinced the airline people to have a change of heart . . . rolleyes.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_7

That magical phone call! It shows up every season or so smile.gif
post #835 of 1546
Hey, I don't mind a little co-operation between teams, but it is good to see teams play the game. The game is not as cutthroat as Survivor. Generally, the challenges do enough to cut people off without intervention. I glad the Chippendales decided to use the U-Turn. I am big fan of the twins. I just love their enthusiasm.
post #836 of 1546
Speaking of raw, anyone think its a raw deal that Amazing Race does not ban teams from u-turning teams who already past the u-turn point (intentional or not)? I always thought they should make it known somehow (it is a computerized screen, hence a computer there) who has past the u-turn and then you can only choose to u-turn a team behind you or opt not to.
post #837 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Speaking of raw, anyone think its a raw deal that Amazing Race does not ban teams from u-turning teams who already past the u-turn point (intentional or not)? I always thought they should make it known somehow (it is a computerized screen, hence a computer there) who has past the u-turn and then you can only choose to u-turn a team behind you or opt not to.

It's even worse than that. It was clear that James & Jaymes were "safely" through the U-turn since they were the previous U-turners. I think there should be a rule against that specific case, but they should leave it alone otherwise - the "unknown" factor being part of the risk.
post #838 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Speaking of raw, anyone think its a raw deal that Amazing Race does not ban teams from u-turning teams who already past the u-turn point (intentional or not)? I always thought they should make it known somehow (it is a computerized screen, hence a computer there) who has past the u-turn and then you can only choose to u-turn a team behind you or opt not to.

How many times in a season is there a double u-turn .. ??

As well, when was there another instance of a safe team being u-turned .. ?? I'm curious, since I don't remember any other than last Sunday ..
post #839 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Speaking of raw, anyone think its a raw deal that Amazing Race does not ban teams from u-turning teams who already past the u-turn point (intentional or not)? I always thought they should make it known somehow (it is a computerized screen, hence a computer there) who has past the u-turn and then you can only choose to u-turn a team behind you or opt not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

It's even worse than that. It was clear that James & Jaymes were "safely" through the U-turn since they were the previous U-turners. I think there should be a rule against that specific case, but they should leave it alone otherwise - the "unknown" factor being part of the risk.

I said the same thing to my wife. There should clearly be a rule that you can't U-turn a team that you know has passed. That's just cheap.
post #840 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Speaking of raw, anyone think its a raw deal that Amazing Race does not ban teams from u-turning teams who already past the u-turn point (intentional or not)? I always thought they should make it known somehow (it is a computerized screen, hence a computer there) who has past the u-turn and then you can only choose to u-turn a team behind you or opt not to.

What if team that has already passed choose not to U-Turn. Should the producers tell the contestants they are behind when they might have thought they were ahead? You would loose the competitive balance of one team not being aware where they are in the pecking order.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD