or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Any Interest in Cheap "Flat Pack" Enclosures?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any Interest in Cheap "Flat Pack" Enclosures? - Page 9

post #241 of 777
Put me down for two please...
post #242 of 777
btw, the Reckhorn A403 would be perfect for these subs. At $300, not super cheap, but includes high pass, low pass and amp in a box. Maybe we could get a group buy going to knock that down a little.
post #243 of 777
Thread Starter 
That's a bit expensive....unless you were running 4 of these I guess.

I'm within driving distance of Parts Express. Maybe they would hook us up with these for cheaper:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-784

I don't know what the HP filter is set at, but I could find out.
post #244 of 777
Indeed those are cheap, but two reservations. 2nd order LP seems a bit too shallow and we don't know where the HP is set (although that is typically very easy to modify).

The reckhorn in my case might be the solution for me since I can run 4 of these subs in series/parrallel (4 ohms) and do the quasi-random phase thing Duke LeJeune does with his swarm subs.
post #245 of 777
Are the NHT/Foster Plate amps no more??
post #246 of 777
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDiver View Post

Are the NHT/Foster Plate amps no more??

As far as I know, they're gone. If you're looking for amps for the Anarchy kits, there's some discussion going on in that thread that might interest you.
post #247 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDiver View Post

Are the NHT/Foster Plate amps no more??

I still have 4 of them (2 in boxes, 2 used right now but Im not married to them at all). My application needs power up to 400Hz so Im probably not going to use them very much longer.
post #248 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I still have 4 of them (2 in boxes, 2 used right now but Im not married to them at all). My application needs power up to 400Hz so Im probably not going to use them very much longer.

Thanks for the offer Penn,

I already have 2 running my Anarchy TH's, was just checking status for people interested in a cheap/effective solution. Seems for the wattage necessary a small form factor amp, something around the size of the Dayton 100w T-amp would be cool. I switched my Anarchy's to Speak-on's and boxed the amps.

I had posed a 1/2 height, double-wide fold, that could fit a small plate amp in the back for the Anarchy TH. Lilmike, said he had thought the same thing, and may work one up, maybe now with the CNC-flatpack option it would be worth the effort to try and fold one. Both profiles would have their advantages, the current slender form can be used as monitor stands or tucked-away behind, against or under furniture.
post #249 of 777
I'd also like to give my vote to the Statements and Statement Monitors...
post #250 of 777
Several of us are anxious for an answer regarding the Statements lineup.

Based on the Anarchy horn, the results are definitely there. Fantastic flat pack kit there.
post #251 of 777
I would very much like to get the flatpack group buy for assembling the Statements and center.
post #252 of 777
Any updates on any other kits?
post #253 of 777
Thread Starter 
I'm suppose to go to their shop next week, so we'll see about the Statements.

The Overnight Sensations will be done about the same time as the Anarchy TH. Not sure on pricing for those little guys yet, but they're gonna be cheap. I'm hoping really cheap. And they're so small they might fit in those "flat rate" USPS boxes. But I bet UPS will still be cheaper.

Those little buggers get great reviews and they're cheap to build.
post #254 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I'm suppose to go to their shop next week, so we'll see about the Statements.

The Overnight Sensations will be done about the same time as the Anarchy TH. Not sure on pricing for those little guys yet, but they're gonna be cheap. I'm hoping really cheap. And they're so small they might fit in those "flat rate" USPS boxes. But I bet UPS will still be cheaper.

Those little buggers get great reviews and they're cheap to build.

Can't wait!

Again, huge thanks for coordinating all of this.

I'm already in for the anarchy sub cab and driver and I'm absolutely interested in what the statements will be.
post #255 of 777
Erich ,
I think I will want a pair of the OS cabinets as well. Do you have a list for those yet?
post #256 of 777
Good deal, thanks for the update Erich!

Your efforts are much appreciated!
post #257 of 777
Thread Starter 
No price on those yet. But it should be cheap. As I mentioned earlier, I really want to slam the guy with designs so he keeps all estimates cheap and inline with the Anarchy TH.

Hopefully we can get some other estimates prior to cutting those Anarchy's just in case they don't go as easy as he was hoping. If he thinks "This sucks", he might raise prices on future cabinets. But I doubt he'd raise prices on the ones he already estimated for us. Know what I mean?

There are other sub boxes in the works, but no estimates yet.
post #258 of 777
I meant an order list for the OS. I am not too worried about the price on those .
post #259 of 777
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post

I meant an order list for the OS. I am not too worried about the price on those .

Oh, sorry, my brain has been a little fried lately.

I'll be setting up a group buy list on those today. And here's all the info on these little speakers:

http://sites.google.com/site/undefin...ightsensations

Hoping they come in around $10 each, or even less. That would be using baltic birch all around with the same rabbet cuts along the edges and things like that.

I'm currently looking for a speaker that comes in around the same width as the Anarchy cabinet. That would be pretty neat to use the Anarchy's as matching stands. If you know of any, post them here.
post #260 of 777
Good idea , I will do some looking this weekend.
post #261 of 777
Hey Erich ,
The Karma Indignia is 8 inches wide when using the PE cabinet. That makes it a good candidate and it is cheap to build as well.
post #262 of 777
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post

Hey Erich ,
The Karma Indignia is 8 inches wide when using the PE cabinet. That makes it a good candidate and it is cheap to build as well.

That was actually a planned design cut when I spoke with Zilch a couple months ago. It was pretty much going to be a done deal until he passed away. I've got some emails from Zilch, but I deleted some last month to keep the inbox from being full. I can't find anything that clearly says "Make the CNC cabinets for the Karma Indignia", We were talking about a variety of items to help out the DIY community.

You might have read that we were both going to get websites up at the same time. The goal was for me to try and get the cabinets for super cheap and the waveguides while his site dealt with crossovers and drivers, and possibly 1 or 2 specific waveguides. I've got all those emails so I know what he wanted to have done.

Zilch's friend Chris helped him out in the lab quite a lot. I spoke with him on Friday and he seemed to think things should wait until until all the estate stuff was settled. Lawyer junk and things like that. Not sure how long that may take but I hoped this was going to be running last month.

I really don't know if it's considered an open design or what. It would be a nice thing to do, especially if we could set up some type of donation button for the design. Maybe Zilch had rental payments on his lab area that need to be met to keep it open, or something else. I just don't know.

I'm still willing to get it done if things get worked out. Chris is going to have so much work to do, I'm not sure when this next step will be taken, or if it will be taken at all. Obviously it's in idle mode right now.
post #263 of 777
Statements! Statements! Statements!.... Well Monitor or Minis Don't live in a mansion being a city dweller
post #264 of 777
Thread Starter 
Okay guys, one the Statements, I'll start off by getting prices on the Mini or Monitor.

I need help with an option though.

Should the entire cabinet be Baltic birch?

Should the entire cabinet be mdf?

Should the cabinet be Baltic birch, but use mdf for the baffle? I thought mdf for the baffle might be easier to paint.
post #265 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Okay guys, one the Statements, I'll start off by getting prices on the Mini or Monitor.

I need help with an option though.

Should the entire cabinet be Baltic birch?

Should the entire cabinet be mdf?

Should the cabinet be Baltic birch, but use mdf for the baffle? I thought mdf for the baffle might be easier to paint.

I would prefer the baffle to be MDF and the remainder by Batlic ply.

This way you the benefits of both materials and get to finish it all in a variety of options and not have the end grain to deal with.
post #266 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Okay guys, one the Statements, I'll start off by getting prices on the Mini or Monitor.

I need help with an option though.

Should the entire cabinet be Baltic birch?

Should the entire cabinet be mdf?

Should the cabinet be Baltic birch, but use mdf for the baffle? I thought mdf for the baffle might be easier to paint.

while your at it can you get the prices on the center chanel and modified center ? http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...highlight=2rcc
either way i am highly intrested in the moniter and the 2rcc center as i already have the statements
post #267 of 777
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenosity View Post

while your at it can you get the prices on the center chanel and modified center ? http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...highlight=2rcc
either way i am highly intrested in the moniter and the 2rcc center as i already have the statements

I can't really get accurate prices unless I know what most people want for the cabinet material. Please give your input on those questions I asked a few posts ago so it can be narrowed down. Thanks.
post #268 of 777
I would vote on mdf baffles and the rest BB .
post #269 of 777
That modified center seems to be the way to go.
post #270 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I can't really get accurate prices unless I know what most people want for the cabinet material. Please give your input on those questions I asked a few posts ago so it can be narrowed down. Thanks.

sorry about that it really doesnt matter for me since ill be veneering it to macth my statements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Any Interest in Cheap "Flat Pack" Enclosures?